Controversial opinions about Bond films

Comments

• GBFGBF
    edited January 2018 Posts: 3,195
    @Andi1996Ruegg

Don't worry both films have Plenty of other useless characters :-)
    I like Elvis for the reasons stated above by others: he's a tag along minor villain rather than a proper henchman. And I also like Bibi as she reveals a rather sinister side to Kristatos (his most sinister in fact) and shows that Bond's own sexuality is rather healthy.
  • Andi1996RueggAndi1996Ruegg Hello. It's me, Evelyn Tremble.
    I agree, I can't see anything wrong with Bibi. She's an athlete, a bit naive but with a good heart and a healthy sexual appetite. I can relate :)
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited January 2018 Posts: 23,883
    Bond should have taken her up on the offer. She wasn't underaged (at least I don't think so).
    bondjames wrote: »
    Bond should have taken her up on the offer. She wasn't underaged (at least I don't think so).

Not far off it...even Bond has his limits !
    barryt007 wrote: »

Not far off it...even Bond has his limits !

It's impressive though! Bond turning down sex? What are the odds of that?

It's as impressive as when he lets go of the sex tape in FRWL, resisting the temptation to keep it for own use... ;)
  • GBFGBF
    I guess it does not only depend on Bibi but also on Moore who was just too old for her. I could imagine a 30 year old Lazenby, however, in that role since the age difference seems more acceptable.
    I find Sandoor kind of bafoonish. He's basically there to move the story along as others have said. The rooftop fight always has me sniggering but Roger's final line is a cracker.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Milton Reid was the inspiration for Kingpin as depicted by Frank Miller.
  • edited January 2018 Posts: 11,189
    Certainly in TSWLM he overacted like mad in that umm "fight" with Moore.

Like I said, the fight itself always seems unintentionally funny.
  • RemingtonRemington I'll do anything for a woman with a knife.
    Kinnear's Tanner is definitely my least favorite character. He was okay in QOS but not in SF and SP. Denbigh and Swann kinda sucked too.

I've never had a problem with Elvis or Bibi. Elvis is supposed to be the antithesis of a Bond henchman and they succeeded. Bibi is annoying but cute as hell so I can let it slide. Lol.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    I'll be shocked if Tanner returns in the next one. I can't figure out why he keeps returning, when he's given absolutely nothing to do but spew exposition and plot points we already know about, on top of injecting more inconsistencies into what's unfolding.

"So that's C's new digs?"
    "You've met him, have you?"
    "Uhhh...well obviously I have, numbnuts, I was the one who named him that. Which means this script sucks, or M told you that's the nickname I gave him, and you already forgot."
  • Andi1996RueggAndi1996Ruegg Hello. It's me, Evelyn Tremble.
    Tanner and Bond have an off-screen bromance. It's glaringly obvious. He must return.

It's implied that she was. At least that's what I always understood and why Bond ultimately refuses her.
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    I'll be shocked if Tanner returns in the next one. I can't figure out why he keeps returning, when he's given absolutely nothing to do but spew exposition and plot points we already know about, on top of injecting more inconsistencies into what's unfolding.

"Uhhh...well obviously I have, numbnuts, I was the one who named him that. Which means this script sucks, or M told you that's the nickname I gave him, and you already forgot."

On the contrary I'll be shocked if he doesn't return. We can always hope that the over reliance on the Scooby gang was a Mendes construct but the fact is since the post Cubby era started Tanner (or Tanner substitutes Robinson and Villiers) have featured in every film.

In the Cubby era he only featured in TMWTGG (mot counting FYEO he was filling the M role and wouldn't have featured had Bernard Lee not died).
    Ludovico wrote: »

It's implied that she was. At least that's what I always understood and why Bond ultimately refuses her.

Are we saying that Kristatos is actually a paedo then who was grooming her with promises of gold medals and sponsorship?

At least we can assume it wasn't consummated given her line 'I know what you want but you're too old for me?'

In his defence perhaps he was waiting for her to be legal? Distasteful perhaps but he's no Rolf.
    If he has a reason to be in the film, then I have no problem with his appearance. I've had a hard time figuring out why he was written into these last two, though.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill

On the contrary I'll be shocked if he doesn't return. We can always hope that the over reliance on the Scooby gang was a Mendes construct but the fact is since the post Cubby era started Tanner (or Tanner substitutes Robinson and Villiers) have featured in every film.

In the Cubby era he only featured in TMWTGG (mot counting FYEO he was filling the M role and wouldn't have featured had Bernard Lee not died).

Are we saying that Kristatos is actually a paedo then who was grooming her with promises of gold medals and sponsorship?

At least we can assume it wasn't consummated given her line 'I know what you want but you're too old for me?'

And Kristatos thinks to himself: "Likewise!"

And Kristatos thinks to himself: "Likewise!"

You get a gold star for the day for this post. Hilarious.

In his defence perhaps he was waiting for her to be legal? Distasteful perhaps but he's no Rolf.

I think he was waiting for the right moment. Far from prying eyes or something. And even if she'd be of legal age it wouldn't be consensual if he knew her from teenage and has authority over her.
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    Blofeld should have been left in the '60s. Controversial?

John Glen knew how to build an action sequence like no other director.
  • RemingtonRemington I'll do anything for a woman with a knife.
    echo wrote: »

It's not controversial if it's true.
  • MinionMinion Don't Hassle the Bond
    The London finale in Spectre was fine. Hardly the catastrophic failure some people make it out to be.
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    Remington wrote: »

Quite.
    Minion wrote: »
    The London finale in Spectre was fine. Hardly the catastrophic failure some people make it out to be.

There you go @echo that's how you do controversial. Well not so much controversial as just plain wrong.

Scooby gang in full flow, a villains plot no one cares about thwarted by Q tapping away at a computer, totally botching the girl dumping Bond scene from Fleming's MR, a nonsensical capturing of Bond and then needing him not captured otherwise all the hard work you put in printing out EON publicity shots and sticking them on the wall for him goes to waste, an irritating music cue nicked from SF and then played on a 7 second loop for about half an hour, Bond using the force to take down a helicopter with a tiny pistol, leaving Blofeld alive but not having him escape and on and on.

I think you had it about right with 'catastrophic failure'.

Quite.

There you go @echo that's how you do controversial. Well not so much controversial as just plain wrong.

Scooby gang in full flow, a villains plot no one cares about thwarted by Q tapping away at a computer, totally botching the girl dumping Bond scene from Fleming's MR, a nonsensical capturing of Bond and then needing him not captured otherwise all the hard work you put in printing out EON publicity shots and sticking them on the wall for him goes to waste, an irritating music cue nicked from SF and then played on a 7 second loop for about half an hour, Bond using the force to take down a helicopter with a tiny pistol, leaving Blofeld alive but not having him escape and on and on.

This ... +1
    barryt007 wrote: »

Quite.

This ... +1
    +2
  • MinionMinion Don't Hassle the Bond
    Eh. The most recent film in a series will always be the most vulnerable to criticism by its passionate fanbase. In 5, 10-years time, once we've had follow-up films and possibly a conclusion to the Spectre plotline, you'll see the articles popping up with "Was Spectre really that bad?" as the headline.

It's not my favorite finale, don't get me wrong, but I find it more artfully done than say... DAD's exploding cargo plane, or (here's another controversial one for ya) anything in FRWL after Red Grant's death.
    How can such a brilliant British franchise never had a Queen title song?
    SaintMark wrote: »
    How can such a brilliant British franchise never had a Queen title song?

Indeed...a big shame really.

edited January 2018 Posts: 23,883
    It's not my favorite finale, don't get me wrong, but I find it more artfully done than say... DAD's exploding cargo plane, or (here's another controversial one for ya) anything in FRWL after Red Grant's death.
    I'll personally take the parts in the earlier films. At least I have never turned off FRWL or DAD's finale, which is something I've done several time with SP.

A reappraisal down the road? Perhaps but I wouldn't count on it, especially if B25 is really good. It's more likely to be looked upon as a misstep in the gritty 'real' reboot trajectory.
  • GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà
    edited January 2018 Posts: 6,786
    I don’t think the latest entry is more vulnerable towards criticism. On the contrary, look at how DAD was received back in the day and look at how it is considered as one of the worst today.

Or look at how the latest actor is always considered as the best since Sean, until the next guy comes along. If anything people tend to be more forgiving towards what is new.

Furthermore, SP will always be the one where they turned Blofeld into Bond’s stepbrother.