Controversial opinions about Bond films

Comments

Fort Knox would have been destroyed etc if it wasnt for Galore...Bond didnt know about the nerve gas being swapped and tbh he didnt seem to give a shit either.

• RoadphillRoadphill United Kingdom
    Looks like I kicked a Hornet's nest with the GF comment. Let me clarify, I still think it one of the better Bond films, for sure. And one of the more iconic. The reason it has slipped in my rankings are:

Bond spends two thirds of the film in captivity. It may seem a small thing but it really irritates me that he is in a cell or trapped with a gun on him for most of the picture.

The meeting of the Gangsters. The dialogue the hoods spew is nonsense. And why on earth does GF negotiate with them when he plans on killing them anyway? Bizarre.

The fight with Oddjob is also quite weak and anti-climatic.

Now I know every Bond film has its flaws, but I have always held GF in such high esteem I either never noticed, or didnt want to notice these before.

Anyhoow, still a high tier Bond film, but on this rewatch it has slipped a bit.
    barryt007 wrote: »
    Fort Knox would have been destroyed etc if it wasnt for Galore...Bond didnt know about the nerve gas being swapped and tbh he didnt seem to give a shit either.

To be fair, there really wasn't much he could do. Odd Job alone was too much for him to handle.
  • edited October 2017 Posts: 11,189
    Also, Goldfinger as a film is more light-hearted in tone compared to the first two and even Thunderball so Connery being super-casual sort of fits with the rest of the onscreen action.

It's more a "caper", compared to DN, FRWL and TB, which are more straight thrillers.
    Goldfinger is amazing. Dips a bit in the second half, but whatever. So does TLD, and I love them both.

To be fair, there really wasn't much he could do. Odd Job alone was too much for him to handle.

Oh i know that,but its the way he behaves,like its all one big jaunt.
    His mind isnt even working overtime (or looking like it is) to find a plan.

This was Bond's first encounter with a nuclear bomb in the film series !

Such a cop-out ending.
    Going back to the last page for a minute, re: Davi. Though LTK is in the lower tiers of my rankings, I do quite enjoy Davi as Sanchez. He and the tanker chase are the two best parts of the film for me.
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    Roadphill wrote: »
    The meeting of the Gangsters. The dialogue the hoods spew is nonsense. And why on earth does GF negotiate with them when he plans on killing them anyway? Bizarre.
    Ego.
  • RemingtonRemington I'll do anything for a woman with a knife.
    Milovy wrote: »
    Goldfinger is amazing. Dips a bit in the second half, but whatever. So does TLD, and I love them both.

My thoughts exactly.
    I like Goldfinger, don't get me wrong. I however find it kind of provocative when some people claim it is a faultless, absolutely perfect piece of cinema and then go on to nitpick or slam other films for the tyniest detail. And although i think the first half is great I find the rest to be a very dissapointing let down.

• ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    edited October 2017 Posts: 15,423
    Goldfinger slows down when Bond gets captured. He pretty much does nothing once he gets to Kentucky. Thunderball was a response to that.
  • edited October 2017 Posts: 462
    I think Goldfinger is a perfect counterpart to From Russia With Love. It hits a lot of the same notes but does it differently, and Connery is at his peak in both flicks. I believe Hamilton stated his intention was to inject more "fun" into the films and he definitely achieved that. I still think one of the funniest moments in the series is when the old lady running the toll booth grabs a machine gun and tries to take out Bond. Another thing to note is that the gadgets in GF don't really work in Bond's favor for the most part. He gets captured despite his car, and the homer doesn't help him once he's captured. He gets off the laser table by bluffing his way out of it. Despite being dubbed, Frobe and Connery play off of each other really well.
    I have to chime in about GF. I too have a hard time finding it as top-notch as many do and that's not overlooking the iconic moments, but I agree with some of the recent points as to its flaws.

What takes me out of it are things like Cec Linder's Leiter with that goofy hat and demeanor of a guy in a '50s cop drama. Then there's the gangsters with their silly accents - "Whatta you tryin' to pull, Goldfinga?"- that would have been laughed off the screen in the 1930s.

Then there's the whole crushing of the car with Solo's body inside. Probably seemed cool at the time, but it does nothing to add to the suspense or advance the plot. I end up thinking why?

Same with the little thing with Mai Lei spying on Bond with all those peepholes. Why so many? The scene is cute but adds little to nothing.

And as someone else said, the fight with Oddjob is not a fight, it's Bond getting thrashed all over the place. The punch-up with Red Grant is far more effective.

I will speak up against the perception that Bond does nothing in Kentucky. It's his charm that keeps him alive and wins Pussy to his side. Bond does look cool and that's kinda' my point here. It eventually all works for him and he does have an effect on the outcome.

I also think Goldfinger and Oddjob are the best villains. Goldfinger isn't a physical match for Bond, he has Oddjob for that, but the two put together make a very formidable team.

• LeonardPineLeonardPine The Bar on the Beach

With some of the idiotic comments from other members regarding Bonds actions while captured I think they would of preferred it if Connery had burst into tears every so often during his imprisonment.
    Those gangsters are straight out of Looney Tunes.

With some of the idiotic comments from other members regarding Bonds actions while captured I think they would of preferred it if Connery had burst into tears every so often during his imprisonment.
    I don't think I can picture it in my head. My brain will crash and explode due to its absurdity.

That is one childish comment! You should be perfectly capable of understanding the point. Bond is not only in captivity, but acts like he is on a casual holiday in the latter half of the film. Nobody asked for him to cry, just show some commitment!
    jobo wrote: »

That is one childish comment! You should be perfectly capable of understanding the point. Bond is not only in captivity, but acts like he is on a casual holiday in the latter half of the film. Nobody asked for him to cry, just show some commitment!
    Well, he did slip the message and the tracking device in Solo's pocket.

Well obviously I was exaggerating the point with a little humour, you know, JOKING

Good grief.

The methods Bond tried in contacting the authorities failed. His last card to play was convincing Pussy. That he stayed supercool through all of it is simply Connery's Bond and the fact he didn't want to seem rattled by the events in front of Goldfinger and Pussy.

His cool charm paid off in the end so there you go.

CrzChris4 wrote: »
    I think Goldfinger is a perfect counterpart to From Russia With Love. It hits a lot of the same notes but does it differently, and Connery is at his peak in both flicks. I believe Hamilton stated his intention was to inject more "fun" into the films and he definitely achieved that. I still think one of the funniest moments in the series is when the old lady running the toll booth grabs a machine gun and tries to take out Bond. Another thing to note is that the gadgets in GF don't really work in Bond's favor for the most part. He gets captured despite his car, and the homer doesn't help him once he's captured. He gets off the laser table by bluffing his way out of it. Despite being dubbed, Frobe and Connery play off of each other really well.

Hitchcock was a big fan of that old lady scene.

At that point he already had done his part, i e screwing Honey on the good guys side.

Well obviously I was exaggerating the point with a little humour, you know, JOKING

Good grief.

The methods Bond tried in contacting the authorities failed. His last card to play was convincing Pussy. That he stayed supercool through all of it is simply Connery's Bond and the fact he didn't want to seem rattled by the events in front of Goldfinger and Pussy.

There is humor and there is petty sarcasm. These are especially hard to dustinguish in written form.

Good grief.

There is humor and there is petty sarcasm. These are especially hard to dustinguish in written form.

For some people perhaps. But I do notice a lot of the more British humour seems to go over some members heads on the MI6 Community.

Good grief.

For some people perhaps. But I do notice a lot of the more British humour seems to go over some members heads on the MI6 Community.

Are you serious? When you start your comment with addresing "idiotic members" you do not exactly lay the groundworks for comedy or being taken lightly. You give more the impression of being a little kid on a tantrum. British humour is obviously not something you are very good at...

Good grief.

Are you serious? When you start your comment with addresing "idiotic members" you do not exactly lay the groundworks for comedy or being taken lightly. You give more the impression of being a little kid on a tantrum. British humour is obviously not something you are very good at...

I didn't call anyone "idiotic members" I wrote 'idiotic comments from other members.' Completely different.

So if you're going to quote me at least have the decency to get it right.

May I ask you, what you would do if you were to be the epitome of coolness and had no means whatsoever to get control over the situation?
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea

Good grief.

Arrogance and self-awareness seldom go hand in hand.

Your 'humour' is hardly what I call 'British humour'. The fact that you may be British does not make your 'humour' British. Saying comments are 'idiotic' is not funny. It's an insult to the intelligence of the person who said it, with the sole purpose of putting oneself down as the 'smarter' person. That's not humour, that's disdain.

Good grief.

Case in point.

May I ask you, what you would do if you were to be the epitome of coolness and had no means whatsoever to get control over the situation?

Be as keen on escaping as he was in, say, Dr. No. Especially after hearing the plans. But nah, it was played for laughs. He isn't even trying to convince Pussy it's a bad plan.

Beeing cool doesn't mean he doesn't care. On the contrary, in Thunderball he's very active, on top of the game, going for all or nothing. In GF he's rather content on drinking his cocktail with Goldfinger. In the beginning of GF he's in control (risking his own death to walk towards Masterton), in Kentucky he's happy to get cought, not in the slightest worried about his capture nor the plan.
  • I've always loved Goldfinger because it has the most iconic Bond moments in one film. I would never say that it has the best plot, but I think also the issues people have with the 2nd half of the film is due to the fact that it is dated now, and we take for granted a lot of the things that, in 1964, would have been spectacular and revolutionary. Goldfinger owning his own personal jet at that time was a luxury even the richest could ill-conceive of. I also think that it tries to play against type by making Bond powerless to stop whats going on when you expect him to be the big hero and save the world. Bond is powerless and yet he keeps on being a cool bad-ass till the very end. Also, the idea of going after Fort Knox is as Goldfinger alludes to in his gangster monologue, an exercise in criminal mastery, something so colossal that it had never been conceived of before, and could never be topped again. That comes straight from Fleming, the "big crime" much like Moonraker the novel was so revolutionary by giving a villain the power of an atomic bomb to destroy London. We take things like that for granted now, due in large part to the continued Bond film franchise, and other films want to mimic and recycle similar plot ideas.
    The 2nd part of GF just almost collapses on it's smarmy self.
    The first half is so good that its almost a shock how much it goes off the rails once Bond is on GF's jet onwards.

I know people see this film as the 'wonder film' of the Bond cannon but I think TB is 100% a better film.

Good grief.

Arrogance and self-awareness seldom go hand in hand.

Your 'humour' is hardly what I call 'British humour'. The fact that you may be British does not make your 'humour' British. Saying comments are 'idiotic' is not funny. It's an insult to the intelligence of the person who said it, with the sole purpose of putting oneself down as the 'smarter' person. That's not humour, that's disdain.

Good grief.

Case in point.

Be as keen on escaping as he was in, say, Dr. No. Especially after hearing the plans. But nah, it was played for laughs. He isn't even trying to convince Pussy it's a bad plan.

Beeing cool doesn't mean he doesn't care. On the contrary, in Thunderball he's very active, on top of the game, going for all or nothing. In GF he's rather content on drinking his cocktail with Goldfinger. In the beginning of GF he's in control (risking his own death to walk towards Masterton), in Kentucky he's happy to get cought, not in the slightest worried about his capture nor the plan.

My idiocy comment wasn't meant to be funny. It was a lighthearted opinion about rather silly ideas regarding GF.

My comment about Bond occasionally crying during the raid on Fort Knox WAS meant to be funny.

Wouldn't expect you to understand.

Hope that wasn't too arrogant.