Controversial opinions about Bond films

Comments

• edited October 2017 Posts: 684
    bondjames wrote: »
    And so I come to why SP is such a dissapointment. The three dimensional threat behind an organisation of which you sometimes see the rotten deeds turns into an open book run by a big boy with a chip on his shoulder.
    Absolutely @CommanderRoss. QoS was opaque and vague in that 70's way. The good and bad weren't clear cut. Sometimes compromises have to be made. Realpolitik. I can appreciate how that may have gone past some of the general audience but for me it was refreshing. SP was a reversion to the tropes (poorly done at that) without any of the intrigue for me.
    I found it refreshing as well. That's part of the reason why Greene works so well for me. He may be the overt villain of the film, but QOS is unique in that the villainy is rather distributed across the board. Greene, Medrano, Yusef, White, Beam too. Even MI6 to an extent. Its the only Bond film where the idea of villainy supersedes the actual 'main' villain.
    Strog wrote: »
    And so I come to why SP is such a dissapointment. The three dimensional threat behind an organisation of which you sometimes see the rotten deeds turns into an open book run by a big boy with a chip on his shoulder.
    Absolutely @CommanderRoss. QoS was opaque and vague in that 70's way. The good and bad weren't clear cut. Sometimes compromises have to be made. Realpolitik. I can appreciate how that may have gone past some of the general audience but for me it was refreshing. SP was a reversion to the tropes (poorly done at that) without any of the intrigue for me.
    I found it refreshing as well. That's part of the reason why Greene works so well for me. He may be the overt villain of the film, but QOS is unique in that the villainy is rather distributed across the board. Greene, Medrano, Yusef, White, Beam too. Even MI6 to an extent. Its the only Bond film where the idea of villainy supersedes the actual 'main' villain.

Well said !
    That's why QOS sits happily at #4 in my rankings ,and Greene is one of my favourite villains.
  • BMW_with_missilesBMW_with_missiles All the usual refinements.
    Controversial counter-opinion: QOS is not only one of the worst Bond films, but a mess of a film in general. Bad editing ruins almost every potentially enjoyable scene by chopping it into incomprehensible bits. A miserable plot meanders its way from a lackluster opening, to a mediocre climax, and stops at a surprisingly decent final scene that belongs in a better movie. The storyline constantly lists back-and-forth between "There's this guy who wants to steal the water (yawn)," and, "Oh yeah. We're supposed to be wrapping up CR too." It tries to be "art-house Bond" and ends up being "pretentious Bond" mixed with a bit too much Bourne. This film is the second worst thing to come out of the writers' strike, with the first being the surge of reality television. Upon first viewing, it was only the third Bond film I had ever seen, and it nearly killed my interest in the franchise. It fully deserves the rock bottom placement it has in my rankings, in fact, it deserves to be at least 5 below rock bottom if that were physically possible.
  • mattjoesmattjoes Kicking: Impossible
    I was eating some French fries on the corner of 46th and 7th in NYC, and Quantum of Solace approached me and stole a couple of fries. I tried to stop it, but it just said "no one will believe you," and ran away.

I hate it ever since.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    mattjoes wrote: »
    I was eating some French fries on the corner of 46th and 7th in NYC, and Quantum of Solace approached me and stole a couple of fries. I tried to stop it, but it just said "no one will believe you," and ran away.

I hate it ever since.
    Hahaha!
  • BMW_with_missilesBMW_with_missiles All the usual refinements.
    mattjoes wrote: »

I hate it ever since.

Well I wouldn't put it past it. :D
    QOS a bad film ?????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

Silly buggers...
  • bondjames wrote: »
    Absolutely @CommanderRoss. QoS was opaque and vague in that 70's way. The good and bad weren't clear cut. Sometimes compromises have to be made. Realpolitik.

The reason that didn't work for me is that it's just not Bond. Bond villains are supposed to be larger than life imo, that's how Fleming wrote them after all. Some shady but ultimately pretty non descript businessmen and politicians trying to steal the water from a third world country that the film doesn't bother trying to get us to care about just doesn't cut it.

I do like the bit where he goes mental with the axe but I think that the villains in QoS were really underdeveloped, just like most of the film.
    barryt007 wrote: »
    QOS a bad film ?????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

Silly buggers...

I don't think it's a bad film in itself. It's well acted and the cinematography is good and all that. But I think it's a very messy film and an awful James Bond film. It's my least favourite of the series.
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    Absolutely @CommanderRoss. QoS was opaque and vague in that 70's way. The good and bad weren't clear cut. Sometimes compromises have to be made. Realpolitik.

The reason that didn't work for me is that it's just not Bond. Bond villains are supposed to be larger than life imo, that's how Fleming wrote them after all. Some shady but ultimately pretty non descript businessmen and politicians trying to steal the water from a third world country that the film doesn't bother trying to get us to care about just doesn't cut it.

I do like the bit where he goes mental with the axe but I think that the villains in QoS were really underdeveloped, just like most of the film.

I disagree, Fleming wrote villains that were larger then life, true, but he also made villains that were less so (Scaramanga, The Spang Brothers) or that were just cogs in a larger system (Largo, Kronsteen, etc.). Greene is an interesting character AND part of a larger shadow, the kind of shadow SPECTRE was in (the film) FRWL and Thunderball, and even Dr. No. Bond isn't there to foil the water plot, he's tracing an organisation that apparently goes up to the highest levels of even Britain's Government. That's why there's not that much emphasis on the water problem, it's just a way to show the darkness of this organisation. At the end it's clear Greene is just a cog, when Bond leaves him in the desert, and it's exactly the moment he takes revenge (in a very Bondian fashion if you ask me). At the same time it's clear that it's only his project, as he's clearly defending it at the Tosca meeting, whilst the others don't seem that interested. White isn't even impressed that Bond shows up, quite clearly not impressed by Greene's endavours up until then.

• GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà
    The problem with QOS is not James Bond, or Olga, or Greene, or the cinematography, or the story, or the music score.

In fact, I think those elements are all above average. I'd even give it extra plusses for Mathis and Beame.

The problem with QOS is its hyperactive editing. Makes it hard to enjoy the otherwise excellent additions.

The perfect example of a missed opportunity.
    I always thought Greene was a sort of Kronsteen: slimy, cowardly, scheming. And talking of scheme: stealing water supplies is a great one. If someone finds it boring then I guess Chinatown, Once Upon a Time in the West and Jean de Floret/Manon des Sources are boring stories as well.
  • bondjames wrote: »

I disagree, Fleming wrote villains that were larger then life, true, but he also made villains that were less so (Scaramanga, The Spang Brothers) or that were just cogs in a larger system (Largo, Kronsteen, etc.). Greene is an interesting character AND part of a larger shadow, the kind of shadow SPECTRE was in (the film) FRWL and Thunderball, and even Dr. No. Bond isn't there to foil the water plot, he's tracing an organisation that apparently goes up to the highest levels of even Britain's Government. That's why there's not that much emphasis on the water problem, it's just a way to show the darkness of this organisation. At the end it's clear Greene is just a cog, when Bond leaves him in the desert, and it's exactly the moment he takes revenge (in a very Bondian fashion if you ask me). At the same time it's clear that it's only his project, as he's clearly defending it at the Tosca meeting, whilst the others don't seem that interested. White isn't even impressed that Bond shows up, quite clearly not impressed by Greene's endavours up until then.

The Spangs fair enough but I always thought they were some of his weaker villains. And I found Scaramanga pretty larger than life, plus he has a brilliant backstory so he doesn't feel underdeveloped. Largo I always thought was fairly larger than life as well, big oily roman looking guy with a massive yacht is a lot more memorable a concept than slimy enviromentalist and boring politicians. And you mention Kronsteen but in FRWL you also have Red Grant, and I don't think you can argue that a werewolf esque killer isn't a larger than life concept. I guess the difference is even when Fleming's villains weren't titans like Goldfinger and Drax, they were still fleshed out. None of the villains in QoS are imo.

You touched on something else there that I think is a problem by saying it's not really about the water plot. For me the issue is the film doesn't know what it wants to be about. There are so many story threads crammed into a short runtime that Forster seemed content to waste on badly edited chase scenes, and because of that I think most of those subplots feel really underdeveloped. The only story thread that was actually done well as Bond getting over Vesper imo.
    Ludovico wrote: »
    I always thought Greene was a sort of Kronsteen: slimy, cowardly, scheming. And talking of scheme: stealing water supplies is a great one. If someone finds it boring then I guess Chinatown, Once Upon a Time in the West and Jean de Floret/Manon des Sources are boring stories as well.

It's all about the execution. AVTAK has the same plot as Goldfinger, doesn't mean it's any good. In Once Upon a Time in the west you meet the towns people and the film gets you invested in the story. In QoS it's an afterthought and the movie does little to make you really care imo.

I like the idea of Bond and Camille discovering some big operation with loads of henchmen in the sinkhole to make it more of a grand menacing reveal, and having more shots of villagers and farmers to show what's at stake. Maybe even change it from them stopping a business deal to them physically stopping the monopoly of the water supply somehow? And when they do we're treated to shots of people able to turn the taps hoses etc back on and get fresh water again? I don't know, these might be stupid ideas, but the whole water scheme felt very low rent and underdeveloped to me. It gets overshadowed by Bond and Camille's personal motivations (I guess you could say the same of LTK but Sanchez didn't have a scheme as such, just an efficient increasingly stealthy/effective operation, so there was nothing really to detract from). The film is just too short and tries to cram too much in imo.
    I was of course talking of the scheme itself not its execution which was rushed indeed. And I'm not saying QOS is flawless, it is flawed. It's very messy by moment and feels rushed. It would have benefited from a good ten or twenty minutes of running time. Also while I liked Greene as a villain a proper brutish henchman would have helped.
  • Ludovico wrote: »
    Also while I liked Greene as a villain a proper brutish henchman would have helped.

I agree that would have made a world of difference. There should always be a proper physical threat to Bond imo, whether that's the main villain or their henchman. And since Green wasn't exactly a fighter (although I do like the fight towards the end with the axe where he just snaps) a decent henchman was definitely needed.
    I think the scheme and overall plot in QoS is severely underrated. I find it much more interesting than the one in lets say Goldfinger.
    jobo wrote: »
    I think the scheme and overall plot in QoS is severely underrated. I find it much more interesting than the one in lets say Goldfinger.

Totally...and a much better film overall as well....
    Some controversial opinion: I found Dalton fights utterly frustrating. I don't find his Bond comes off as a highly trained fighter.
    Some controversial opinion: I found Dalton fights utterly frustrating. I don't find his Bond comes off as a highly trained fighter.

Same here..he did not have an action physique ..Moore was the same but we had seen what he could do in The Saint ,so we knew what he had in his locker.
    Moore's fights always looked a bit dodgy - even in The Saint.

Dalton's were generally better but neither were as convincing as early Connery, Lazenby or Craig in CR/QoS.

Another thing, the jeep fight at the beginning of TLD looks fairly average next to Craig's fight sequences.
  • barryt007 wrote: »

You guys are gonna give me a brain aneurysm in a minute and if I don't make it I just want it to be known that @barryt007 killed me by writing on the internet that Quantum of Solace was a better movie than Goldfinger.

You guys are gonna give me a brain aneurysm in a minute and if I don't make it I just want it to be known that @barryt007 killed me by writing on the internet that Quantum of Solace was a better movie than Goldfinger.

He he ...we aim to please....

Same here..he did not have an action physique ..Moore was the same but we had seen what he could do in The Saint ,so we knew what he had in his locker.

I think he looked more like a fighter than Brosnan but at least with Brosnan they took into account that Bond is a trained fighter. With Moore I knew his limits.
    To say Dalton "didn't have an action physique" is a bit odd considering he did more of his own stunts than any other Bond actor...
  • edited October 2017 Posts: 12,837
    To say Dalton "didn't have an action physique" is a bit odd considering he did more of his own stunts than any other Bond actor...

Yeah I loved all Dalton's action scenes including the fight scenes. You can tell it's actually him which really adds to how cool they are plus in every fight scene he seemed to struggle and be fighting for his life, which I really liked. He came across as badass and highly trained but still human and the way he seemed to struggle and go through the ringer every time, but still come out on top by the skin of his teeth, made them even cooler imo. The coreography wasn't as good as with Connery Lazenby and Craig but I never got the impression that he wasn't a badass, highly trained agent. He just came across as a realistic highly trained agent. That's why he was so great in general. He seemed like a real spy. All the others (except Lazenby who I think was the closest to the books) are at least a little bit larger than life which is cool but what makes Dalton special is that he took Bond, who isn't a realistic character at all, and bought a real sense of reality to it. He was perfect as the grizzled burnt out assassin and that's why he'll always be my favourite James Bond.

Maybe but his Bond seems to struggle more than any other when going mano a mano. I remember how frustrated I got watching LTK for the first time. Connery got me frustrated sometimes in his tenure, like during his fight against Bambi and Thumper for instance. But I forgive him as he was overall excellent. When he struggled it was generally against formidable or at least competent adversaries. Dalton just seemed to struggle more and more often.
    I struggle to see that struggle myself..
  • edited October 2017 Posts: 11,189
    Dalton never really got a full on fight to the death like Connery and Craig did.

Also, I think Connery, Laz and Craig have more of a "rough-and-tumble" demeanor about them compared to Moore, Dalton and Brosnan.

Finally I've noticed that Dalton and Brosnan in particular tended to overact sometimes during their fight sequences.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    Not quite controversial for most of us, but didn't know where to put this, but, Sean Connery, in the early to mid 1960s, was a man well ahead of his time.

If we took SC, circa '64, and placed that same man against anyone today, including Cruise, he'd demolish them with his sexy charisma, and his acute and intuitive intellect of character.
    peter wrote: »
    Not quite controversial for most of us, but didn't know where to put this, but, Sean Connery, in the early to mid 1960s, was a man well ahead of his time.

If we took SC, circa '64, and placed that same man against anyone today, including Cruise, he'd demolish them with his sexy charisma, and his acute and intuitive intellect of character.

Not controversoal to me. Fully agree!
  • GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà

Yeah I loved all Dalton's action scenes including the fight scenes. You can tell it's actually him which really adds to how cool they are plus in every fight scene he seemed to struggle and be fighting for his life, which I really liked. He came across as badass and highly trained but still human and the way he seemed to struggle and go through the ringer every time, but still come out on top by the skin of his teeth, made them even cooler imo. The coreography wasn't as good as with Connery Lazenby and Craig but I never got the impression that he wasn't a badass, highly trained agent. He just came across as a realistic highly trained agent. That's why he was so great in general. He seemed like a real spy. All the others (except Lazenby who I think was the closest to the books) are at least a little bit larger than life which is cool but what makes Dalton special is that he took Bond, who isn't a realistic character at all, and bought a real sense of reality to it. He was perfect as the grizzled burnt out assassin and that's why he'll always be my favourite James Bond.

@thelivingroyale You took the words rights out of my pocket ;)

Spot on, Sir. I agree with every single word.