Controversial opinions about Bond films

Comments

• jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    RC7 wrote: »
    I've always loved the Brosnan films. It's nice to know others are seeing the value in them.

Indeed.
  • GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà
    I am a big Brozza fan myself. Love GE, like both TND and DAD. Only TWINE has recently dropped in my rankings.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    I enjoy all of Pierce's films except for the second half of DAD.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    Coming around the turn of the century, you really feel that sunny optimism and exuberance of the times.
  • BMW_with_missilesBMW_with_missiles All the usual refinements.
    doubleoego wrote: »
    Allright, controversial then: I love TWINE and TND as songs, they're top notch!

Agreed, but I would say "solid" instead of "top notch". AWTD and TWOTW are weak IMO.

On another note, Brosnan Bond is much more entertaining to watch than Craig Bond.

Agreed 100%.
    I've always loved the Brosnan films. It's nice to know others are seeing the value in them.

Yes, I've noticed a shift in popular opinion lately. It's something I thought (and hoped) would occur at some point.
  • w2bondw2bond is indeed a very rare breed
    Brosnan does a great job with what he's given. Except TWINE, he is trying too hard. But he's dedicated in GE, Confident in TND and totally at ease in DAD
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    Murdock wrote: »
    Yep.
  • jake24 wrote: »
    Yep.

I'm agreeing with everybody's opinions on Brosnan today!

I even like that too. DAD is a fun celebration of saying "Screw restraint and moderation!"
  • peterpeter Toronto
    Controversial opinion: I admire Brozz for his efforts... but...

He can't match what DC brought to the role in CR, QoS, SF... and, even SP... Craig is the better actor, but... more importantly...

Craig's got more charisma
    sexiness
    charm
    physicality (brosnan through a worse punch than Dalton IMHO)
    athleticism
    likability (Brosnan comes off too slimy too often)
    defiant
    real

... quite frankly, the most complete 007 since SC... have at it, boys...
    edited June 2017 Posts: 3,000
    sexiness
    charm
    defiant

Craig comes off like a petulant teenager trying too hard to be cool too often IMO. Or a middle-aged man who never outgrew his teenage attitude. They should just complete the ensemble with leather jacket and a Harley.
    athleticism

Fair enough.
    real

One man saves the world and/or does some other feat single-handedly such as taking out several armed bad-guys is never realistic. Not when Craig does it. Not when Brosnan did it. I don't ask for realism in Bond movies, only entertainment and fun, of which Brosnan supplied more. The whole thing with Bond as a spy is pretty unrealistic.

Not to bash Craig too much though. I currently have him third in my Bond rankings.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    controversial? The scar under Bond's right eye in CR while he's in rehab: I wish they kept that token in the rest of the DC films as a token to IF's Bond.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    further controversial opinion (as I soak in the greatness that is CR): Everything Craig does as Bond in the "fourth act" of CR, is, bar none, the best portrayal of Fleming's Bond on screen--

(cue the barking dogs)
  • peterpeter Toronto
    and my last controversial opinion: ACT IV in CR is like a mini DIE HARD: Bond stops the baddies in the falling Venice house, not to stop the bad guys, but to try and save his relationship with Vesper (he, unlike JM, fails, making it more poignant)
  • dominicgreenedominicgreene The Eternal QOS Defender
    Craig's Bond looks better with a beard rather than without.
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    I would never say Brosnan's Bond is less likeable than Craig's. Never.
    peter wrote: »

He can't match what DC brought to the role in CR, QoS, SF... and, even SP... Craig is the better actor, but... more importantly...

sexiness
    charm
    athleticism
    defiant
    real

Hmm. . . I think Broz was definitely the prettiest Bond. 'Dashing,' I believe the ladies call it. Or 'debonair.'

Sadly, he was saddled with a series of crummy choices, both sides of the camera, and there wasn't much he could do.

I'm a big fan of Craig - he's probably my favourite Bond. But if I'm honest I have to admit that Craig's benefited from a huge amount of latitude and creative input (a producer's credit!), big budgets, indulgent directors, hugely talented co-stars, and more 'artistic' films.

Put another way, can you imagine Craig being asked to act seriously along Dr. Christmas Jones? Can you imagine him being directed by Tamahori? I can't. But I can imagine Broz acquitting himself well after being given $250 million to shoot a sweeping epic like SF with a top-shelf cast, an oscar-winning director, and Deakins on lenses.
  • GBFGBF
    Well there is absolutely no doubt that Brosnan has both, more charm and a better look than Craig. Craig might have more physicality but physicality alone does not make him sexy :-) In fact, Brosnan and Connery are the only two who actually had the perfect look.
    Bond should look at least a little cruel. Brosnan looks like a catalogue model.
  • edited June 2017 Posts: 12,837
    jake24 wrote: »

Indeed.

Same here, he's probably my second favourite so I'm enjoying this very much. I think maybe SP getting a mixed reaction has led to a reevaluation of them.

I even like that too. DAD is a fun celebration of saying "Screw restraint and moderation!"

Yeah I've really warmed to DAD in a so bad it's good kind of way. It's crap but it's fun, colourful, endlessly watchable crap with Brosnan somehow managing to anchor the film and a few genuinely good scenes and moments. Bond breaking a landspeed record and then windsurfing a ps2 esque CGI tsunami. Women in sports bras having a sword fight in a crashing plane over the Korean demilitarised zone. Bond stopping his own heart. A bad guy with diamonds scarred into his face. An invisible car. Moneypenny masturbating over VR Bond. A fencing match devolving into a brutal broadsword fight. The villain makes his entrance by parachuting into buckingham palace with a union jack parachute and later his a robot suit that can electrocute people.

It's a wonderful OTT mess that doesn't understand the meaning of subtelty (opens with Bond shooting down the barrel of a gun and then surfing into North Korea) but despite being a complete car crash of a film, it's actually well paced, well structured, it's great visually (apart from the poor CGI), and has some great scenes. It's colourful and has a great sense of energy to it. The opening is genuinely brillianf and such a great way to subvert expectations for the 20th Bond film. And Brosnan gives it his all and somehow manages to keep the whole thing from falling apart.

I'd much rather watch DAD than something bland and boring like TND or FYEO. It's not good but it's fun.

And GE and TWINE are still classics for me. Two of my all time favourites. TND is the only Brosnan film I don't really enjoy and even that isn't bad at all (the first half is actually really good), it's just nothing special.

sexiness
    charm

Apart from my wife's almost 60 year old secretary I have yet to meet a woman that would agree with you.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    that's fine @noSolaceleft , that's why this is a controversial thread (in some corners around here it seems to like Craig in general is a controversial opinion nowadays); but i will argue that being good looking, and being sexy are two completely different beasts. Brosnan was good looking, he wasn't sexy.
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    I'll leave the 'just good looking or sexy' discussion to the ladies and genlemen with extra interest, but I sure think Craig has more charisma, and he's definately the better actor. Every part he's played that I've seen I find him excellent, wheras Brosnan has a far more limited range. I think he's fantastic in 'the tailor of Panama' and 'The Thomans Crown Affair', but his role in Mama Mia I found horrid and in Mrs. Doubtfire he wasn't convincing to me.

Still, as I said in 2006 when we first saw Craig, this is also why Brosnan got all the backlash. Not because his Bond was so bad, but because Daniel's was so much better, which is unfair to say the least. I think he gave a very decent performance in all his films, and definately gave the franchise it's boost in GE when it was needed so much.
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    edited June 2017 Posts: 5,993
    jake24 wrote: »

Indeed.

Same here, he's probably my second favourite so I'm enjoying this very much. I think maybe SP getting a mixed reaction has led to a reevaluation of them.

Yeah I've really warmed to DAD in a so bad it's good kind of way. It's crap but it's fun, colourful, endlessly watchable crap with Brosnan somehow managing to anchor the film and a few genuinely good scenes and moments. Bond breaking a landspeed record and then windsurfing a ps2 esque CGI tsunami. Women in sports bras having a sword fight in a crashing plane over the Korean demilitarised zone. Bond stopping his own heart. A bad guy with diamonds scarred into his face. An invisible car. Moneypenny masturbating

I don't need to see that!
    echo wrote: »
    Is the novel MR unadaptable? From MR to GE to DAD, the filmmakers seem to keep stumbling with it.

It's been scavenged to the point of being unadaptable.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    controversial? The scar under Bond's right eye in CR while he's in rehab: I wish they kept that token in the rest of the DC films as a token to IF's Bond.

When the picture of him with that scar was released, there was some speculation online if that was the case.
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    Milovy wrote: »

Did Moore look cruel?

Brosnan may be a tad too pretty but at least he isn't blonde, short and looks like a thug or chav half of the time.
  • edited June 2017 Posts: 11,189

Did Moore look cruel?

Brosnan may be a tad too pretty but at least he isn't blonde, short and looks like a thug or chav half of the time.

This notion of "looking cruel" is at best vague. Moore never really "looked" cruel in my view but had a professional, commanding air about him.

Roger-Moore.png

Cruel isn't the first word that comes to mind looking at a pic such as this. Here he looks more like an after-dinner speaker at a gentleman's club.

• bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited June 2017 Posts: 23,883
    BAIN123 wrote: »

Did Moore look cruel?

This notion of "looking cruel" is at best vague. Moore never really "looked" cruel in my view but had a professional, commanding air about him.

Craig I think did.
    I agree. Both could look menacing/dangerous when called upon. Just a casual turn of the eyebrow (in Moore's case) or a squint/stare (in Craig's case).
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    Early Moore had a cruelty to him and an edge that was subsequently lost. It was a hangover from Connery I guess, but with Moore it was even more potent because he had the outward appearance of a cheerful British gentleman.