Controversial opinions about Bond films

Comments

• bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    echo wrote: »
    Another controversial (and depressing) opinion: since GF, there have not been two completely satisfying Bond films back-to-back.
    I think many would agree with this, although I've found a few pairs quite enjoyable, especially during Rog's day.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    A new composer is needed, as is a new screenwriter (or Haggis one more time for Craig). Babs plus a good script will woo him back.

Another controversial (and depressing) opinion: since GF, there have not been two completely satisfying Bond films back-to-back.

YOLT/OHMSS and CR/QoS were for me. I'm likely in the minority with that first one (and probably the second one), but I just love YOLT so damn much.
    YOLT is quite bad next to its brilliant remake, TSWLM.
    The earlier half of YOLT is first class imho. It comes apart towards the end though. I do prefer TSWLM myself.
    I definitely prefer TSWLM to YOLT, as well. TSWLM is in a class of its own, pure brilliance.
  • edited June 2017 Posts: 15,818
    Murdock wrote: »
    Skyfall and Spectre's scores are the weakest of the weak to me.

I didn't mind SkyFall's score initially. Bondian enough, yet almost too similar to Arnold in some respects. Spectre's score completely disappointed me.
    In my controversial opinion, I feel like we're living in an era where music that is merely functional, yet unmemorable melody-wise seems to be accepted.
    I was watching The Dark Knight the other day for the first time since it was released, and although Hans Zimmer's music certainly provided the appropriate atmosphere, it's not like I was humming the melody the next day. In fact I don't remember how any of the music goes.
    Bond, on the other hand (in my controversial opinion) should most certainly be a step up as far as melody. Anytime I see someone on here post a comment regarding "Wine With Stacey" I immediately hear that music in my head, and am inclined to hum it. Same with "Flight Into Space".
    Not only should a Bond score be memorable, each film should have it's own individual stamp so that even the casual fan will recognize which Bond film it is just based on the music.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    My thoughts exactly. I like my film scores to be memorable and something I can hum or listen to in the car on a drive.
  • mattjoesmattjoes Kicking: Impossible
    I do hope we get another composer for the next film. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I get the impression Thomas Newman was more interested in continuing to work with Sam Mendes than in scoring a Bond film.
    With Mendes gone Newman will surely follow.
    I liked Newman's work on SF, but he should have been a one off, just like Mendes imho.
    David Arnold, new blood, or bust. I can't handle another regurgitated Newman score.
    I can't stand bland scores anymore.
    Murdock wrote: »
    I can't stand bland scores anymore.

We're on the same wavelength regarding wanting a score that's fresh and memorable and instantly recognizable after a period of time. The era of Barry ruined me, I think.
  • w2bondw2bond is indeed a very rare breed
    The Skyfall and Spectre scores ruined the films for me.

I think Arnold's QoS effort is the best score since Barry left and while perhaps not necessarily better than Barry it feels more inspired than Barry's later efforts

• echo wrote: »

TB/YOLT/OHMSS
    LTK/GE/TND/TWINE
    CR/QOS

But to each their own.
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    David Arnold, new blood, or bust.

Hear, hear!
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    A new composer is needed, as is a new screenwriter (or Haggis one more time for Craig). Babs plus a good script will woo him back.

For me, SF and SP fit that bill. And I loved the score in both as well. I hope Newman returns.
  • GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà

I disagree. Quite a few times I think we had two good Bond films in a row.

The best period since the 60's for me though is TLD-TND. Four good Bond films in a rough even though there was a big gap in the middle.
  • BondAficionadoBondAficionado Former IMDBer
    bondjames wrote: »
    The earlier half of YOLT is first class imho. It comes apart towards the end though. I do prefer TSWLM myself.

Why always break a film into halves? I get tired of seeing people repeatedly say that the "first half was great, but the second was terrible." Another one is; "the third act" or my favourite "I always turn it off after [...]". Ugh. Soderbergh was right, people are getting lazier at watching action movies.

Just integrate your thoughts of the entire film and that's it.
    edited June 2017 Posts: 23,883

Why always break a film into halves? I get tired of seeing people repeatedly say that the "first half was great, but the second was terrible." Another one is; "the third act" or my favourite "I always turn it off after [...]". Ugh. Soderbergh was right, people are getting lazier at watching action movies.

Alright, then it's shiiite. Does that make you happier?

I'm breaking it into halves in order to appreciate it more & have something positive to say. If I have to look at it holistically, then it's subpar imho, because the ending always negatively impacts my impression of the entire film.

We are analyzing films here after all so I don't see what the problem is with breaking things down. At the end of the day, we all assign overall ranks on another thread.
  • BondAficionadoBondAficionado Former IMDBer

Alright, then it's shiiite. Does that make you happier?

I'm breaking it into halves in order to appreciate it more & have something positive to say. If I have to look at it holistically, then it's subpar imho, because the ending always negatively impacts my impression of the entire film.

We are analyzing films here after all so I don't see what the problem is with breaking things down. At the end of the day, we all assign overall ranks on another thread.

It does, yes. Very much so. ;)
    Soderbergh knows nothing about film.
    Robertson wrote: »
    Soderbergh knows nothing about film.

It's either him or you. Hmmm ....
    Me, obviously.
    I said it elsewhere but only Sean Connery could sell DAF. In that movie he effectively prepared the Moore era and without himreturning in DAF people would not have accepted Moore afterwards.
  • GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà
    Robertson wrote: »
    Me, obviously.

I thought you were dead, Mr. Fellini.

Glad to learn you're still around.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    The Brosnan era had better title songs than the Craig era.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    The Brosnan era had better title songs than the Craig era.
    I'd say they're about equal, with the Brosnan era having two brilliant themes (GE and TWINE), and the Craig era having two brilliant themes (YKMN and SF).
  • I'd also say they're about even, but the scales do tip in the favor of Brosnan's for me.

GE > YKMN by a single ranking

TND > AWTD by a single ranking (dig both though)

TWINE > SF by at least a few rankings

and not that it matters, but yes...

DAD > WOTW
    GE and SF are two of my favourite Bond themes.
    edited June 2017 Posts: 23,883
    I think both eras have been launched by one excellent song (GE & CR). It's been downhill from there for me (despite what the critics say), although I don't mind SF and I'm one of the few who likes TND as well.

Garbage, Smith, Madge & Keys/Black are the real bottom of the dung pile stinkers for me.