Controversial opinions about Bond films

Comments

• bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited May 2017 Posts: 23,883
    Ludovico wrote: »
    New controversial opinion: while I'm against remaking old Bond movies I'd be ok for an OHMSS remake if and only if Cate Blanchett plays Tracy.
    I'm all for Cate Blanchett in a Bond film (she is a standout in the Thor trailer), but I'm quite against any remakes of old Bond films, especially ones which have been quite faithful to the source material. The most recent unnecessary and sloppy reimagination of an iconic villain has solidified my opinion.
    In terms of pure sex appeall in the Bond canon, nobody trumps Solanche! Is that a controversial opinion?
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    suavejmf wrote: »
    Lupe Lamora is the best Bond girl purely based on looks and sex.

Maybe not the best but I agree she's among the best looking ones.

New controversial opinion: while I'm against remaking old Bond movies I'd be ok for an OHMSS remake if and only if Cate Blanchett plays Tracy.

That is also the one Bond film Brosnan thought should be remade, as it was so poor.

That is also the one Bond film Brosnan thought should be remade, as it was so poor.
    We were truly spared. I can only imagine what could have happened here if this had ever become a reality, particularly in the final scene.
    qYVGlm8.jpg
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    bondjames wrote: »

We were truly spared. I can only imagine what could have happened here if this had ever become a reality, particularly in the final scene.

Good lord, the idea is enough to keep you sleepless.
  • QuantumOrganizationQuantumOrganization We have people everywhere

qYVGlm8.jpg
    Brosnan must have feel asleep in all his drama classes.

• Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    Controversial opinion: Lea Seydoux can do no wrong. Not with that body.

Lea is bar none the most attractive woman in the entire franchise history, however that cannot make up for the frankly irritating character she plays in SP.
    Upon my recent viewing I realized she's another one (like Soto) who would have benefited from a non speaking role. She's very easy on the eyes.

Cruise used her best in MI-GP.

qYVGlm8.jpg
    Brosnan must have feel asleep in all his drama classes.

Nice watch, shame about the face.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    That November Man scene is actually quite powerful. Pierce just isn't the kind of actor for subtle agony, like George expressed in the scene. He's far more keen to overtly express what his character is going through, such that you never have to wonder about it.
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    barryt007 wrote: »
    RC7 wrote: »
    OP is far superior.

Agreed..way way better,and it is a special Bond film to me as well,so even more so !

I'm a big OP fan, probably because it was my first. The plot is bonkers but somehow it works. Thanks to Maibaum.
    GoldenGun wrote: »
    Is it possible to enjoy DAD more than TND or TWINE?

I'm starting to feel that way lately. I like the atmosphere and the sets more. The whole thing, even though ridiculously silly sometimes, seems to be more lively.

I'm also trending toward DAD. I always liked TWINE better, but now...
  • peterpeter Toronto
    controversial opinion: maybe I'm misunderstanding this, but, why does anyone want to go backwards? The flirting with MP, M giving assignments (which I think would be relayed in a different way in the modern era), the scene, or scenes with Q...

Can we respect the past without going back to it? I think CR and QoS proved we need not have a MP or Q, and still keep it Bond.

No one can do Conners. Nor Moore. Nor Craig.... when we try and repeat the past (GE, to a degree, TND to DAD and SP), the magic proves it's no longer there. It's fake... and it would be more fake in the modern world (having Craig in a stuffy office in SP? as newspapers are tossed on a desk without (correct me if I'm wrong), no digital tablet in sight??; not real).

The office in QoS is far more efficient and border-line realistic for our time.

When DC hangs it up..., I don't want to go back to Moore... or Connery's hay-day (that's catching lightning in a bottle).

Lets respect the source material, Fleming, and develop to the new actor-- like DC did with CR...
    peter wrote: »
    controversial opinion: maybe I'm misunderstanding this, but, why does anyone want to go backwards? The flirting with MP, M giving assignments (which I think would be relayed in a different way in the modern era), the scene, or scenes with Q...

Can we respect the past without going back to it? I think CR and QoS proved we need not have a MP or Q, and still keep it Bond.

No one can do Conners. Nor Moore. Nor Craig.... when we try and repeat the past (GE, to a degree, TND to DAD and SP), the magic proves it's no longer there. It's fake... and it would be more fake in the modern world (having Craig in a stuffy office in SP? as newspapers are tossed on a desk without (correct me if I'm wrong), no digital tablet in sight??; not real).

The office in QoS is far more efficient and border-line realistic for our time.

When DC hangs it up..., I don't want to go back to Moore... or Connery's hay-day (that's catching lightning in a bottle).

Lets respect the source material, Fleming, and develop to the new actor-- like DC did with CR...
    I'm pretty much in agreement. I wouldn't have a problem not having MP & Q in the next one. The films were much tighter without them. Having them around these days implies they need something to do, and quite frankly I'd rather they not have more screen time.

I also agree on the QoS office being very much what I would expect from contemporary MI6. It was discussed elsewhere recently.

I think it's still possible to have formula elements in a film, but they must be incorporated deftly and sparingly. Moreover, I don't think they should be included in each film. Rather, once every other film or even once every three films is the way to go. Just like a gadget laden car.

I think it's the spirit of the classics which must be captured, rather than the specific elements each time. The effortless attitude & timeless style is what I want to see in each film, combined with a tight plot, wonderful locations, charismatic characters, beautiful women & outstanding dialogue.

Additionally, the actor must ensure that his interpretation can't be mistaken for anyone else's. It must flow naturally from within and be intrinsic to him. If he feels uncomfortable with anything, dump it. With Bond, one must not try to emulate the past. Rather, one must capture the essence of it, and of the character (cinematic & literary). It's not an easy thing to do.
    Maybe Bond can get all his assignments on a DVD in the mail in the future. No need to ever visit M's office again. ;)
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    peter wrote: »
    Can we respect the past without going back to it?
    Well, I don't want the franchise to act as an elimination game over time.

Ignoring the past is near impossible anyway. Better to celebrate the previous films in a controlled way, I like the call-backs used. It's a treat to see them on screen, and doesn't distract me as a viewer..

With the reboot in 2006, it's actually open season to revisit any of the Fleming books, doesn't matter if they were made into films in the 60s and after. There's no conflict.
    edited May 2017 Posts: 8,157
    I have a question about that. If Q and Moneypenny are now considered "in the past" and dated elements of a Bond film, why not M also? Why does Bond need a literal man/woman sat behind a desk to tell him what to go and do? Can't he just receive updates via secure network or something? I mean, based on CR, QoS and SP, Bond is already phoning M and Moneypenny up for info whilst in the field anyway.

I have a question about that. If Q and Moneypenny are now considered "in the past" and dated elements of a Bond film, why not M also? Why does Bond need a literal man/woman sat behind a desk to tell him what to go and do? Can't he just receive updates via secure network or something? I mean, based on CR, QoS and SP, Bond is already phoning M and Moneypenny up for info whilst in the field anyway.
    Yes, they could do that. They indeed did shake it up quite a bit during the first three Craig entries. In fact, he's never gotten a traditional assignment briefing to send him on his way, even in SP.

Come to think of it, did Brosnan ever get a traditional post-PTS briefing at the office? I can't recall. Don't think so.

Neither did Dalton.

The last time was Moore.
    Another controversial one -

I think that the Cello Chase in TLD is actually a highlight. Without it, the film wouldn't feel as much like a Bond film. They need something that sets them apart from ordinary spy thrillers, and thats what I think the Cello Chase was. It works brilliantly.
    Brosnan got at least one briefing in M's office in GE. Albeit not right after the PTS.
    Brosnan got at least one briefing in M's office in GE. Albeit not right after the PTS.
    I just clarified my point in the I Just Noticed Thread.

I think that the Cello Chase in TLD is actually a highlight. Without it, the film wouldn't feel as much like a Bond film. They need something that sets them apart from ordinary spy thrillers, and thats what I think the Cello Chase was. It works brilliantly.

That's indeed a controversial one, at least with me. I think it's one of those Bond movies that suffers most from not really knowing what it wants to be. Maybe it's even more correct to say they knew what they wanted it to be, but simply weren't brave enough.

That's indeed a controversial one, at least with me. I think it's one of those Bond movies that suffers most from not really knowing what it wants to be. Maybe it's even more correct to say they knew what they wanted it to be, but simply weren't brave enough.

In some places I might agree, but by and large I thing this film is a good marker of where EON wanted to be at the time.

LTK, for me, is the one where they really weren't brave enough - and it shows. That film could have had a sombre ending like OHMSS, but instead they had a party and chirpy Filex phoned to assure us everything was A-okay.
    Controversial opinion as a follow on: Both of Dalton's entries suffered from not knowing quite what they wanted to be, and it hurt the films (both box office and overall critical perception).
    That's not really controversial except maybe for Dalton's fans.
    Controversial opinion as a follow on: Both of Dalton's entries suffered from not knowing quite what they wanted to be, and it hurt the films (both box office and overall critical perception).

And rightfully so! That blend of serious espionage stuff and the campiest possible humor had a very sobering effect on my perception way back then. I remember leaving the cinema after LTK and thinking that ( since this was the fourth Bond movie in a row that felt like a let down to me. ) they really had lost the ability to make a good Bond movie.

Like I say, I don't see it with TLD, but LTK certainly suffers. TLD is a bit tonally inconsistent, but I feel if they had gone the whole hog it would have actually been more damaging. The film would have been too dry, I feel, and wouldn't have hung together as well.

If I had to make one change to TLD it wouldn't be to remove the silliness. What I would do is have Koskov kill Whitaker. Think about it, Whitaker gets humiliated by Pushkin, who is clearly on the scent of the operation, so when Whitaker and Koskov meet up, Whitaker explodes on both Koskov and Necros, just like he does in the film. He tells them he plans to back out of the deal, that its to dangerous for his reputation, but instead of Koskov reassuring him that Bond will kill Pushkin soon, Necros takes out his headphones and chokes Whitaker with Koskov smiling. I think that would have given Koskov more menace and made him a better villain, and it would have meant that Bond was confronting Koskov at the end, who had taken refuge inside Whitaker's hideaway.

I think that would have strengthened and streamlined the whole film TBH, but ultimately I enjoy TLD all the way through the way it is. Even the much despised desert third act features some of the best music Barry ever wrote. There is always something to keep me hooked in this one. :)
  • edited May 2017 Posts: 676
    TLD constantly veers between Cold War espionage and cartoon adventure. I really like both approaches to Bond, and they are both done so well in the film that I can forgive the fact they coexist a bit uncomfortably. I find Octopussy the same in this regard, too. Sort of like mixing FRWL and TSWLM.
  • BondAficionadoBondAficionado Former IMDBer
    edited May 2017 Posts: 1,884
    Controversial: I actually like the sound of Lulu's TMWTGG song. It's really snazzy and exciting - as JB title songs ought to be.
    Controversial: I actually like the sound of Lulu's TMWTGG song. It's really snazzy and exciting - as JB title songs aught to be.

Agreed. Underrated.
  • BMW_with_missilesBMW_with_missiles All the usual refinements.
    Controversial: I actually like the sound of Lulu's TMWTGG song. It's really snazzy and exciting - as JB title songs ought to be.

Well, you're in the right thread, I'll say that much.