Controversial opinions about Bond films

Comments

• RC7RC7
    I prefer both Stacey and Christmas to Case. Total waste of a Fleming dame. She's a total dick.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    edited March 2017 Posts: 40,478
    bondjames wrote: »
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    She's definitely better than Dr. Jones. I also like how she's so casually cold to Bond when they first meet at Zorin's estate - a mixture of sass and disinterest.
    Yes, I noticed that the last time I watched the film and enjoyed it as well. Having said that, I don't know who could be impressed by "Mistaaa Sin Jin Smith".

"I'm English."
    "I never would have guessed."
    "Really?"

His immediate closer is solely based on the hope that this random American broad will hop into bed with him for his accent alone. I love it.

"I've got an accent, and the rest is irrelevant, so remove those clothes."
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited March 2017 Posts: 23,883
    She's definitely better than Dr. Jones. I also like how she's so casually cold to Bond when they first meet at Zorin's estate - a mixture of sass and disinterest.
    Yes, I noticed that the last time I watched the film and enjoyed it as well. Having said that, I don't know who could be impressed by "Mistaaa Sin Jin Smith".

"I'm English."
    "Really?"

His immediate closer is solely based on the hope that this random American broad will hop into bed with him for his accent alone. I love it.

He is so convincing as an obnoxiously arrogant dilettante that when he jumps into Mayday's bed with his pants off it's believable to her and Zorin that this is what Smythe would do.
    @bondjames, I can't help but notice just how disgustingly filthy both Bond and May Day must be in that sex scene - he just dispatched a couple guys and ran around Zorin's estate, while she just finished fight training with the man himself.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited March 2017 Posts: 23,883
    Funny you should mention that @Creasy47, because the same thing went through my mind the last time I watched the film a few weeks back, more on account of Mayday than Bond, but still... Shocking!
  • suavejmfsuavejmf Harrogate, North Yorkshire, England

"I'm English."
    "Really?"

Actually fairly realistic. American women do love a posh English accent.
    @suavejmf, American women eat up pretty much any accent, regardless of personality, appearance, etc.
    @suavejmf, American women eat up pretty much any accent, regardless of personality, appearance, etc.

I thought it was just English?? Ha ha. My typical Brit attitude. What so they would be impressed by say Russian??
    suavejmf wrote: »

I thought it was just English?? Ha ha. My typical Brit attitude. What so they would be impressed by say Russian??

Come check out the creatures that roam the wildlands of West Virginia, and you'll see what I mean. English, Australian, anything remotely Spanish, they lose their minds.
  • "In Russia, you seduce accent."

Come check out the creatures that roam the wildlands of West Virginia, and you'll see what I mean. English, Australian, anything remotely Spanish, they lose their minds.

Ha ha ha.
    Birdleson wrote: »
    Anyone who ranks GoldenEye below Monty Norman's Dr. No needs to see an optometrist for ears. ;)

I need to get my ears checked by an eye doctor then :-)

(Doctor No perhaps?)

I love the Doctor No soundtrack.

I like the Jamaican music. And you get the Bond Theme.

Agreed - The Bond Theme, Jump Up, Twisting With James, Under the Mango Tree, Dr No's Fantasy are all great and I even like Kingston Calypso (Three Blind Mice). It is one of the only 007 soundtracks that reflects the atmosphere of the setting. And totally subjectively speaking I associate it with a film that I love so much. It's a fun soundtrack to put on the record player on a lazy, sunny Sunday while me and the fiancée have drinks on the deck.

Wish they had released it with the rearrangements of the Tarantula Scene and Dr No's Death - I enjoy that call back in FRWL too!
    What? You mean some people don't like the brilliantly atmospheric score of DN?
    Re the MayDay/Bond sex scene, one reviewer remarked how it "was less like a seduction, more like a mugging!"
  • GBFGBF
    I watched For your eyes only yesterday and well I really enjoy watching that Thatcher parody in the end. Sue me!!!
    GBF wrote: »
    I watched For your eyes only yesterday and well I really enjoy watching that Thatcher parody in the end. Sue me!!!

I intend to.

It's awful but I can't help but laugh.
  • GBFGBF
    I watched it together with my girl friend and she thought it was one of the best parts of the film :-) But she overall prefers the comedic stuff and funny dialouges in Bond films...
  • BMW_with_missilesBMW_with_missiles All the usual refinements.
    I watched it together with my girl friend and she thought it was one of the best parts of the film :-) But she overall prefers the comedic stuff and funny dialouges in Bond films...

She sounds like a woman with excellent taste.

At least she's Conservative. An appearance by a Labour Leader would very un Bond and not acceptable
  • BMW_with_missilesBMW_with_missiles All the usual refinements.

At least she's Conservative. An appearance by a Labour Leader would very un Bond and not acceptable

In that case, Bond could have stayed on the line and channeled Jeremy Clarkson; "You nearly bankrupt us!"
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    I love the FYEO ending, too.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    I've learned to enjoy it, but would never like to see it repeated.
  • JamesBondKenyaJamesBondKenya Danny Boyle laughs to himself

What do you mean by that?
    edited March 2017 Posts: 5,131

Bond would clearly be a Tory (if forced to choose). Labour always cause the Country economic issues before the Conservatives come back in and rectify matters. Basically I cant stand the Labour party (benefit Britain pioneers) and I was having an unsubtle dig
  • JamesBondKenyaJamesBondKenya Danny Boyle laughs to himself

Bond would clearly be a Tory (if forced to choose). Labour always cause the Country economic issues before the Conservatives come back in and rectify matters. Basically I cant stand the Labour party (benefit Britain pioneers) and I was having an unsubtle dig

Ok that makes sense I thought you were saying you were a hardcore liberal and didn't want to see Bond make fun of liberals
  • TheSharkFromJawsTheSharkFromJaws Amity Island Waters
    RC7 wrote: »
    My favourite track on OHMSS is Over and Out
    +1

I think Over and Out plays beautifully with the various shots from the helicopter and in Piz Gloria, and when listened to on its own, really builds a lot of tension.

Everything from Barry's contribution to OHMSS is genius though.

• TheSharkFromJawsTheSharkFromJaws Amity Island Waters
    GetCarter wrote: »
    San Francisco proved to be a poor location.

Even the fight on the GGB was botched.

France, on the other hand, was just marvellous.
    Agreed on San Fran. I think it's a lovely city but nothing about it strikes me a Bond worthy. Paris, on the other hand, does. I wouldn't mind had their places in the film been switched, with a brief segment in San Fran and Paris being the central setting.

Ok that makes sense I thought you were saying you were a hardcore liberal and didn't want to see Bond make fun of liberals

Hopefully the Lib Dem's never gain power. Given their current seats I cant see it happening. They are a broken party at present. On another note as per the latest posts, everything about OHMSS is near perfect.
    The LTK PTS isn't that great and is inferior to the one in TLD.

Bland direction and photography with a very "television" vibe.
    My controversial opinion: the PTS of TWINE is overlong and overrated.