Controversial opinions about Bond films

Comments

BAIN123 wrote:
    Controversial opinion: I've read Fleming and I'd still rank Moore above Craig (and Dalton for that matter).

No one bashes Sir Rog!!!!

Craig, yes. But Dalton????

NOOOO.jpg
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    Well Dalton is a bit rough around the edges at times. In TLD he can show excellent serious acting, like the Pushkin interrogation scene, the death of Saunders, and then act akward in others - like the circus fair romance with Kara. He's good, but a bit uneven at times.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Well Dalton is a bit rough around the edges at times. In TLD he can show excellent serious acting, like the Pushkin interrogation scene, the death of Saunders, and then act akward in others - like the circus fair romance with Kara. He's good, but a bit uneven at times.
    Dalton always looked out of place with the quips, and rightfully so. His Bond wasn't suited for that, like Dan's Bond, so it comes of as dry to those who are used to Moore-calibre comedy. I smirk a lot during CR and QoS, but it isn't for everybody, much like Tosca.
    :D
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    Even though I find Craig's delivery of his most funny line much too dry, IMO it's still better than Dalton. Tim just felt just too stiff, while Craig has a more 'realistic' delivery for his take on Bond, even if I don't like it.
    Dalton always looked out of place with the quips, and rightfully so. His Bond wasn't suited for that, like Dan's Bond, so it comes of as dry to those who are used to Moore-calibre comedy. I smirk a lot during CR and QoS, but it isn't for everybody, much like Tosca.
    I actually think that Craig is good with the one-liners, much better than Dalton at that. Dalton was very good at scenes like the one with Pushkin in the latters hotel room.
    I actually think that Craig is good with the one-liners, much better than Dalton at that. Dalton was very good at scenes like the one with Pushkin in the latters hotel room.

Yes. Even if Craig is too dark and serious for my taste, he is better at the one-liners than Dalton. Craig's dry delivery seems to work fine.

Yes. Even if Craig is too dark and serious for my taste, he is better at the one-liners than Dalton. Craig's dry delivery seems to work fine.

ಠ_ಠ

Dalton. Is. The. Best.
    edited April 2012 Posts: 15,696
    Sorry @thelivingroyale, but I watched TLD last night, and Dalton wasn't as good as I remembered. It was a while since I had seen TLD, and it felt underwhelming - which is really suprising as I really love Dalton as an actor.
    Sorry @thelivingroyale, but I watched TLD last night, and Dalton wasn't as good as I remembered. It was a while since I had seen TLD, and it felt underwhelming - which is really suprising as I really love Dalton as an actor.

I think Dalton is a really good actor, but perhaps he lacks the charm and elegance for the Bond part. This is especially visible since he arrived when Moore, who mastered these traits fully, retired. The stiffness that sometimes is visible was also a problem.
    I still like his movies and performances anyway.

• TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    Germanlady wrote:
    Its just, that you and Moore seem to be stamping with their feet more then others...hence the child play remark. And Why do I still - very much - have the feeling, you guys are NOT serious but downright dedicated to push all our buttons - over and over and - it works, which then is our fault. It needs two...

Very well said Fraulein. I confess to being guilty of rising to DaltonCraig007s and 007RogerMoores (who appears now to have cloned himself) trite comments rather than treating them with the disdain they deserve and just ignoring it. I have decided to just try and let these things go over my head from now - life is too short to waste your time trying to convert people who obviously are beyond redemption. Fair play to Jehovahs Witnesses and Mormons who go knocking on doors trying to do the same as it really is a thankless task which I've had a bellyfull of. DaltonCraig007 and Jedward enjoy your DAF and TMWTGG delusion whilst the rest of us continue to the promised land of Fleming and OHMSS.

Back on topic, whilst I do enjoy Dalton in TLD (less so in LTK), I think he is the one Bond that lacks that indefinable X factor in terms of screen presence. He is conspicuously an actor playing a part whereas I would say all of the other Bonds bring a big chunk of their own charisma to the part which is something that is essential for the screen Bond if the public are to take to them. Sean, Rog and Pierce had it in spades but so did Laz and if he had done another one I think the public wouldve warmed to him.

Craig has a bit less natural charisma than the others but he hits a fine balance between acting talent and screen presence whereas Dalton stepped too far towards serious acting which is good but the screen Bond does have to have that twinkle in his eye as well.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    I think Dalton had enough charm for Bond, he just didn't lay it on thick with a trowel like other Bonds did.

As for Craig, I feel no sense of charm or charisma from him, instead he comes across as a mindless athletic thug. Daltons Bond would be more calculating and tactfull, whereas Craigs Bond would cause all manner of mayhen to achieve his goal. Something I suspet isn't going to change in future films...

Very well said Fraulein. I confess to being guilty of rising to DaltonCraig007s and 007RogerMoores (who appears now to have cloned himself) trite comments rather than treating them with the disdain they deserve and just ignoring it. I have decided to just try and let these things go over my head from now - life is too short to waste your time trying to convert people who obviously are beyond redemption. Fair play to Jehovahs Witnesses and Mormons who go knocking on doors trying to do the same as it really is a thankless task which I've had a bellyfull of. DaltonCraig007 and Jedward enjoy your DAF and TMWTGG delusion whilst the rest of us continue to the promised land of Fleming and OHMSS.

What do you mean by Jedward? And I am the clone, since Crab_Of_Doom is 10 minutes older than me.
    What do you mean by Jedward? And I am the clone, since Crab_Of_Doom is 10 minutes older than me.

Wouldve thought jedward would be your ideal choice to do the song for SF.

(Sorry I did say I would refrain from allowing myself to rise to their bait. Discipline Wizard, discipline.)

(Sorry I did say I would refrain from allowing myself to rise to their bait. Discipline Wizard, discipline.)

Ok, I see. I searched for Jedward and found out that they are two twin singers. Now I understand.

I'd boycott SF if Jedward were selected to do the song. Can't stand those two

~X(
    BAIN123 wrote:

~X(

I had never heard of them before, which probably indicates that they are not famous in Sweden. They are Irish, I gather.

BAIN123 wrote:

~X(

I had never heard of them before, which probably indicates that they are not famous in Sweden. They are Irish, I gather.

They are Irish twins who are famous for not winning a UK singing contest called X factor, and they're also famous for RUINING AN AWESOME VANILLA ICE SONG!!!
    I think Dalton had enough charm for Bond, he just didn't lay it on thick with a trowel like other Bonds did.

As for Craig, I feel no sense of charm or charisma from him, instead he comes across as a mindless athletic thug. Daltons Bond would be more calculating and tactfull, whereas Craigs Bond would cause all manner of mayhen to achieve his goal. Something I suspet isn't going to change in future films...

I wouldn't go that far with craig, but I agree with Dalton. He had plenty of charm and showed it in some scenes, but he chose to play the part in a darker, more serious way instead.

AN AWESOME VANILLA ICE SONG!!!

For anyone who didnt know what the word 'oxymoron' meant thelivingroyale has just provided the OED definition for your erudition.
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    AWESOME VANILLA ICE

This alone is the definition of 'oxymoron'. Any positive word before Vanilla Ice's name is an oxymoron, unless "Dead Vanilla Ice" is what you're saying.

AN AWESOME VANILLA ICE SONG!!!

For anyone who didnt know what the word 'oxymoron' meant thelivingroyale has just provided the OED definition for your erudition.

I like Vanilla Ice.
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    edited April 2012 Posts: 7,854
    Controversial opinion: 007 Blood Stone is better than the GF. DAF. MR and OP put together.
  • edited April 2012 Posts: 1,082
    Controversial opinion: 007 Blood Stone is better than the GF. DAF. MR and OP put together.

A Bond game is no substitute for a movie (as good as EON is, a movie should have been made instead). And Blood Stone isn´t even half as good as Moonraker.
    Do you really think that 007 Blood Stone is better than the satellite laser in DAF?
    That alone beats 007 Blood Stone.

However, the plot in the FRWL-game is better than the movie. I wish the movie was very similar to the game.

• DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Indeed a controversial opinion there. I don't think the plot of the FRWL game comes even close to that of the film. The film's plot is sheer brilliance IMO.
  • edited April 2012 Posts: 1,082
    DarthDimi wrote:
    Indeed a controversial opinion there. I don't think the plot of the FRWL game comes even close to that of the film. The film's plot is sheer brilliance IMO.

They are somewhat similar, but the game had a jetpack, the DB5 and many cool missions. And those big russian guards who can endure several headshots of every weapon.

They should have included the Octopus base in the movie. That sequence is really good, as is the showdown with Grant in some kind of a laser/grenade launcher/machine.

Mod edit: please avoid double posts by making use of the edit button.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    A jetpack and DB5 do not a good Bond film make.

I don't think it was. DAF and MR have bad moments, but the other 2 are good films. Bloodstone's plot was all over the place, the gameplay was un but I hated the plot.
    I´m watching TMWTGG right now (and that happens often) but I gotta say that it is easily the "tip of the tentacle" Bond film. A masterpiece.

A Bond game is no substitute for a movie (as good as EON is, a movie should have been made instead). And Blood Stone isn´t even half as good as Moonraker.
    Do you really think that 007 Blood Stone is better than the satellite laser in DAF?

However, the plot in the FRWL-game is better than the movie. I wish the movie was very similar to the game.

007RogerMoore for once we are in total accord. Does this cataclysmic event herald the end of days?

Oh I hadnt seen your last remark there. The balance in the universe has been restored.

Talking of FRWL does anyone think a game based on a Rog film would be a winner, with Sir Rog himself doing the voiceover? I reckon he would be up for it.

My personal choice would probably be OP but commercially TSWLM would probably be wisest.

Plenty of scope for good game sequences - shootout on skis, in the pyramids and ruins, on the train. Then a driving scene followed by underwater driving scene (probably break up the two driving scenes by inserting a sequence where Bond docks the sub and investigates Atlantis before getting back in for the main underwater battle), the big battle on the Liparus (probably take it on deck as well like in the original script), then back to Atlantis for final fight with Jaws and Stromberg. All accompanied by Rogers warm, brown voice. Lovely stuff.

007RogerMoore for once we are in total accord. Does this cataclysmic event herald the end of days?

Oh I hadnt seen your last remark there. The balance in the universe has been restored.

Talking of FRWL does anyone think a game based on a Rog film would be a winner, with Sir Rog himself doing the voiceover? I reckon he would be up for it.

My personal choice would probably be OP but commercially TSWLM would probably be wisest.

Plenty of scope for good game sequences - shootout on skis, in the pyramids and ruins, on the train. Then a driving scene followed by underwater driving scene (probably break up the two driving scenes by inserting a sequence where Bond docks the sub and investigates Atlantis before getting back in for the main underwater battle), the big battle on the Liparus (probably take it on deck as well like in the original script), then back to Atlantis for final fight with Jaws and Stromberg. All accompanied by Rogers warm, brown voice. Lovely stuff.

That game would have rivaled both EON and FRWL as the best Bond game.
    And wow, you and I agree...WTF is happening? Perhaps it will be for the first and last time, unless you turn to "the dark side of 007RM and DC007", as you said it another thread.