Controversial opinions about Bond films

Comments

• Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    edited April 2012 Posts: 7,854
    Controversial opinion: 007 Blood Stone is better than the GF. DAF. MR and OP put together.

I don't think it was. DAF and MR have bad moments, but the other 2 are good films. Bloodstone's plot was all over the place, the gameplay was un but I hated the plot.

I can't stand GF (so overrated, full of stupid people and moments, Shirley Bassey) and OP has a decent second half (when all the Cold War-ish stuff really starts), while DAF and MR are just stupid movies (with some good moments, admittedly). Blood Stone, which has a good (albeit somewhat confusing) plot, great villains, that awesome Russian police/FSB guy at the end of the Siberia missions ("Do you know how much paperwork I'd have to file if there were WMDs on board?"), and: Daniel Craig, just works better.
    About the torture scene in CR...Instead of the terribly mean torture Bond had to endure, I would have liked if Le Chiffre force-fed Bond with donuts. Bond options would be 1. to either die from obesity after eating millions or thousands of donuts, or 2. if giving the password instantly die a slow and painful death. This would be good and fun.
    Controversial opinion: 007 Blood Stone is better than the GF. DAF. MR and OP put together.

I don't think it was. DAF and MR have bad moments, but the other 2 are good films. Bloodstone's plot was all over the place, the gameplay was un but I hated the plot.

I can't stand GF (so overrated, full of stupid people and moments, Shirley Bassey) and OP has a decent second half (when all the Cold War-ish stuff really starts), while DAF and MR are just stupid movies (with some good moments, admittedly). Blood Stone, which has a good (albeit somewhat confusing) plot, great villains, that awesome Russian police/FSB guy at the end of the Siberia missions ("Do you know how much paperwork I'd have to file if there were WMDs on board?"), and: Daniel Craig, just works better.

Shirley Bassey is overrated (there's a controversial opinion), but GF is not. Without GF, the Bond franchise might not have lasted as long. GF's succes proved that people at the time loved the gadgets and over the topness, so if they had carried on in the same direction as the 1st two films, we might have a different franchise altogether or maybe even no Bond in 2012.
  • edited April 2012 Posts: 12,837
    Controversial opinion: the reboot was not needed. They could've easily made CR Brosnans last film or just had Craig carry on as a normal Bond. The whole origin thing is completely pointless, all that happens is Craig kills 2 people. They could've found some other excuse for Bond being reckless other than "he's new"

It doesn't make much sense anyway, Craig is almost 40 and he's a rookie agent? I would've just liked them to change the tone to a more realistic one without rebooting the franchise.
    Controversial opinion: the reboot was not needed. They could've easily made CR Brosnans last film or just had Craig carry on as a normal Bond. The whole origin thing is completely pointless, all that happens is Craig kills 2 people. They could've found some other excuse for Bond being reckless other than "he's new"

It doesn't make much sense anyway, Craig is almost 40 and he's a rookie agent? I would've just liked them to change the tone to a more realistic one without rebooting the franchise.

Agreed. Could have kept Brosnan til´2006 or 2008, and then brough in Craig.

• 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    About the torture scene in CR...Instead of the terribly mean torture Bond had to endure, I would have liked if Le Chiffre force-fed Bond with donuts. Bond options would be 1. to either die from obesity after eating millions or thousands of donuts, or 2. if giving the password instantly die a slow and painful death. This would be good and fun.
    Are you kidding me?? CR and torture is NOT a joke, and shouldn't be poked at in jest. The scene followed the book and the method, and should stay as such. The torture description in CR is a nasty one, and very shocking in content.

Are you kidding me?? CR and torture is NOT a joke, and shouldn't be poked at in jest. The scene followed the book and the method, and should stay as such. The torture description in CR is a nasty one, and very shocking in content.

But that would be terrible torture also! Bond would die and overeating is terrible. He would perhaps rather die painfully that that.

About the CR book, is Le Chiffre using the same torture as in the movie?
  • edited April 2012 Posts: 12,837

But that would be terrible torture also! Bond would die and overeating is terrible. He would perhaps rather die painfully that that.

Sometimes I can't tell if you're being serious or if you're just trying to wind people up.

The CR book has more or less the same tortue, except Le Cheiffre uses a cane in the book, and a rope in the film. I think so anyway.

Sometimes I can't tell if you're being serious or if you're just trying to wind people up.

The CR book has more or less the same tortue, except Le Cheiffre uses a cane in the book, and a rope in the film. I think so anyway.

No, seriously, I would like it that way. It would be very funny, but still mean torture.

I think it was a carpet-beater
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    There's no "died scratching my balls" rubbish in the book either. The film's version was weak.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    Samuel001 wrote:
    There's no "died scratching my balls" rubbish in the book either. The film's version was weak.

Yes that line is puke-inducing.
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    A not funny at the time it is said, either. The punch line, if I remember correctly, only comes later (just after that?) in the scene. So why did everyone laugh?...

I think I need to, *gulp*, watch the scene again.
    Samuel001 wrote:

Yes that line is puke-inducing.

I thought it was one of CR's funnier moments.

• Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start

No, seriously, I would like it that way. It would be very funny, but still mean torture.

And torture is supposed to be funny? I'm a sadist, and even I don't think torture is supposed to be funny! And what the f*** is it with you and obesity? Do you hate obese people?
    I meant funny, like comedic. And I don´t despise obese people the slightest. The plot sounded stupid and funny, only a Bond villian (like Hudo Drax) would come up with a plan like that. And about the torture scene, if someone eats too many donuts, there can be only one (big) result, which eventually leads to death.

Just a coincidence really.
    I meant funny, like comedic. And I don´t despise obese people the slightest. The plot sounded stupid and funny, only a Bond villian (like Hudo Drax) would come up with a plan like that. And about the torture scene, if someone eats too many donuts, there can be only one (big) result, which eventually leads to death.

Oh, so torture is funny to watch? Funny? I love funny movies, but I'd like to know what you have against serious movies. Why is serious wrong?
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"

Oh, so torture is funny to watch? Funny? I love funny movies, but I'd like to know what you have against serious movies. Why is serious wrong?

Yes, it is taking the practice of torture, a horrible activity to both perform and be victimized by, to be done in a campy way. Force feeding has no place in real torture techniques of today. Torture needs to be frightening from beginning to end to strike terror into the captive, and using Medieval or Russian torture techniques will surely do it, not force feeding.

Nothing against them, I like films like LTK and QOS. But I prefer when movies are not so serious. And normal torture is not funny to watch, but the threat of being force-fed with donuts would likely be. Of course Bond would be saved in the nick of time by Mr. White.

edited April 2012 Posts: 28,694

Nothing against them, I like films like LTK and QOS. But I prefer when movies are not so serious. And normal torture is not funny to watch, but the threat of being force-fed with donuts would likely be. Of course Bond would be saved in the nick of time by Mr. White.

You will live your life missing out on the great films of all time. Absolutely shameful to think of it.
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    edited April 2012 Posts: 9,117

I really dont know why you waste your time (and ours) coming here 007RogerMoore. Surely there are Austin Powers forums you can visit to air your infantile and preposterous views?
    I think in CR that Bond´s heavenly Aston Martin DBS should have been equipped with missiles and other gadgets by Q, played by John Cleese. He should have used this in the car chase. The torture scene I have already told you about.
    Keep the Madagacar chase as it it, I love the embassy part especially and when Bond shoots something that explosed and flees, but not before killing the bomb maker.

Versper should have been a normal Bond girl who survives in this movie and never appears again. Scrap the love story.

The sinking house scene - keep it but exclude Vesper. Bond kills those guys and retrives the suitcase.

More things could be done. I respect if you love CR, but I try to make it fit me more.

I really dont know why you waste your time (and ours) coming here 007RogerMoore. Surely there are Austin Powers forums you can visit to air your infantile and preposterous views?

I think that the lighter movies are a big part of the Bond franchise. I don´t think you have to relegate me to Austin Powers´ level because I am a fan of those kind of movies. I am first and foremost a Bond fan. After that I am a Moore fan.
    edited April 2012 Posts: 9,117
    I think that the lighter movies are a big part of the Bond franchise. I don´t think you have to relegate me to Austin Powers´ level because I am a fan of those kind of movies. I am first and foremost a Bond fan. After that I am a Moore fan.

I love a bit of Rog as much as the next man but how can you say that there should be a torture scene feeding Bond doughnuts and then claim you shouldnt be relegated to the Austin Powers level? How old are you 6?

Youre confusing a light hearted Roger Moore romp with just plain stupid. I dont even know why I'm bothering to argue with you except I'm bored at work.

I love a bit of Rog as much as the next man but how can you say that there should be a torture scene feeding Bond doughnuts and then claim you shouldnt be relegated to the Austin Powers level? How old are you 6?

Youre confusing a light hearted Roger Moore romp with just plain stupid. I dont even know why I'm bothering to argue with you except I'm bored at work.

Ok, well I am 21.

What - months?
    What - months?

No, days actually.
    ;)
    They already did the donut torture. ..... on The Simpsons
  • edited April 2012 Posts: 1,082
    They already did the donut torture. ..... on The Simpsons

Oh, yes! You are right, I remember it now. Threehouse of horror, the devil force-feeding Homer.
    What - months?

No, days actually.
    ;)

I should have known.