Controversial opinions about Bond films

Comments

• echoecho 007 in New York
    jake24 wrote: »
    Or, it can go a hundred other routes.

I prefer the idea of Madeleine leaving Bond a la the novel DAF or even being a sleeper agent/traitor who leaves/escapes/dies. That way Bond can move on with another woman in Bond 25. If they go the Tracy route with Madeleine, it is going to be hard for them not to go for a Camille-like chaste route, which I think was a mistake the first time.
  • I like the Tennyson scene. One of my favourite SF scenes.
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    I like the Tennyson scene. One of my favourite SF scenes.

Mine too. Dench is in top form here, possibly her best scene in the series.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    I'm among those who found it moving rather than pretentious.
  • I enjoyed the Tennyson/Enquiry scene myself. That part never fails to get me on the edge of my seat. This is one of the areas where Newman's score is really working for the film.
    All of the emotional moments in SF worked very well for me. The hype for SF remains for me; top-tier in my ranking.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    ^ Yup.
    edited December 2016 Posts: 10,588
    The glamour still hasn't worn off for me. I still love it as much as I did exiting the theatre four years ago.
  • suavejmfsuavejmf Harrogate, North Yorkshire, England

I thought it was ok and very British.

I loved it at first and still think the shot of Bond running amongst the police cars is a cracker. However I can now see why some consider the Tennyson scene as contrived and/or pretentious.

• QuantumOrganizationQuantumOrganization We have people everywhere
    We need to get back on the route of CR AND QOS.
    The Tennyson scene is more embarssing than DAD's ice surfing and SP's Blofeld reveal.

Right M, theres a known terrorist who has justescaped custody, killed agents, and is on its way to shoot up the house youre in.What are you going to do? Evacuate the building? Lock down the building? Get the people inside to safety? All of the above?

No just sit there AND READ A FUCKING POEM!!!!
    Not sure if that's controversial but I think Bond and Blofeld not identifying each other in OHMSS can be explained logically in universe with minimum of retcon.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Ludovico wrote: »
    Not sure if that's controversial but I think Bond and Blofeld not identifying each other in OHMSS can be explained logically in universe with minimum of retcon.

Blofeld uses decoys to run his various operations. That's how I look at it.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    How so? Change of actors?
    How so? Change of actors?

In universe I said. Bond previously was disguised as a Japanese. And I know Bond has no longer the disguise in the volcano that's why I say minimal retcon.In OHMSS he is somewhat disguised as Hilary Bray and has completely different look and mannerism. In the novels Blofeld doesn't recognise Bond right away because of said Japanese disguise.

Oh and another controversial opinion: I find the Hilary Bray disguise believable in spite of its minimalism. Because of it actually.
  • cwl007cwl007 England
    Clark Kent/Superman, one ingenious disguise that has worked for decades. Blofeld is also easily confused by spectacles.
    One of my theories is that Bond meets different Blofeld's. The Bald man with the scar. Henderson posing as Blofeld and the real Blofeld we see in OHMSS. That's my reasoning for it since it helps explains the changing of actors with major physical differences. And I also switch DAF and OHMSS chronologically. DAF follows YOLT and OHMSS follows DAF. DAF starts right off in Japan so that could be Bond searching for Blofeld after his escape in the Volcano. It could be assumed that Blofeld was killed for failing and destroying one of SPECTRE's biggest bases so when he tracks Blofeld down he's surprised to see a familiar face. Henderson, wearing Blofeld's clothes. From here Bond assumes Henderson is Blofeld. Bond presumably kills him on the oil rig and that's the end of it. Offscreen what we don't know is Blofeld is out there, the real Blofeld and M starts Operation Bedlam to track him down. Bond meets him, breaks his neck and Blofeld kills Tracy and disappears for 12 years when he strikes one last time in FYEO where Bond finishes the real Blofeld for good. That's how I justify it.
  • cwl007 wrote: »
    Clark Kent/Superman, one ingenious disguise that has worked for decades. Blofeld is also easily confused by spectacles.

On a complete side note: The creators of Superman: The Animated Series modeled their Lex Luthor (voiced by Clancy Brown) after Telly's Blofeld.

latest?cb=20100916062354

But yeah, I've never had a problem reconciling the Bond/Blofeld introductions in YOLT and OHMSS. I think two key things really help with this: a) the change in actors for both Bond and Blofeld, and b) the fact that BOTH times Bond is operating under a disguise (Japanese/Sir Hilary Bray). Combine those points with just not thinking too hard about it and it's no problem whatsoever.
  • suavejmfsuavejmf Harrogate, North Yorkshire, England
    We need to get back on the route of CR AND QOS.

Correct.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    cwl007 wrote: »

On a complete side note: The creators of Superman: The Animated Series modeled their Lex Luthor (voiced by Clancy Brown) after Telly's Blofeld.

latest?cb=20100916062354

But yeah, I've never had a problem reconciling the Bond/Blofeld introductions in YOLT and OHMSS. I think two key things really help with this: a) the change in actors for both Bond and Blofeld, and b) the fact that BOTH times Bond is operating under a disguise (Japanese/Sir Hilary Bray). Combine those points with just not thinking too hard about it and it's no problem whatsoever.

Plus they only met briefly two years prior.
  • GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà
    edited December 2016 Posts: 6,805
    Murdock wrote: »
    One of my theories is that Bond meets different Blofeld's. The Bald man with the scar. Henderson posing as Blofeld and the real Blofeld we see in OHMSS. That's my reasoning for it since it helps explains the changing of actors with major physical differences. And I also switch DAF and OHMSS chronologically. DAF follows YOLT and OHMSS follows DAF. DAF starts right off in Japan so that could be Bond searching for Blofeld after his escape in the Volcano. It could be assumed that Blofeld was killed for failing and destroying one of SPECTRE's biggest bases so when he tracks Blofeld down he's surprised to see a familiar face. Henderson, wearing Blofeld's clothes. From here Bond assumes Henderson is Blofeld. Bond presumably kills him on the oil rig and that's the end of it. Offscreen what we don't know is Blofeld is out there, the real Blofeld and M starts Operation Bedlam to track him down. Bond meets him, breaks his neck and Blofeld kills Tracy and disappears for 12 years when he strikes one last time in FYEO where Bond finishes the real Blofeld for good. That's how I justify it.

That doesn't sound too bad. In DAF they are even equiping OHMSS's Aston in the background. ;)
    GoldenGun wrote: »
    Murdock wrote: »

That doesn't sound too bad. In DAF they are even equiping OHMSS's Aston in the background. ;)

My point exactly. :D
    cwl007 wrote: »

It's all about mannerism. And George Baker's voice.

• M16_CartM16_Cart Craig fanboy?
    edited December 2016 Posts: 538
    AstonLotus wrote: »
    How about this...Daniel Craig should have been FIRED from the Bond role after his '' I would rather slash my own wrists '' comments last year.

I love Craig, and my respect for him went up even more when he said that. Freedom of speech is meaningless if you can get fired at the drop of a hat for saying how you feel. Craig did more intensive stunts than all the other actors combined. He has every right to complain.

Clamors to fire him are mostly just exagerrated outrage made to hold social order of employees being submissive.

It's a new era of capitalism. We're not in pre-reform Britain anymore. I'm glad Craig didn't Sixth Sense himself like Bruce Willis and shortchange himself for charity whilst execs make billions. Why did Bruce Willis need a million? What a question... Why does the CEO need a billion?

Craig is a cash cow. People saw Spectre for him (Mendes and the cast as well).

If you have talents and you're needed, employers need to leave a good impression on you ; It's no longer a one way street ; throw your weight around Dan.
    It was a joke. Not a good one but a joke none the less.
    M16_Cart wrote: »
    How about this...Daniel Craig should have been FIRED from the Bond role after his '' I would rather slash my own wrists '' comments last year.

I love Craig, and my respect for him went up even more when he said that. Freedom of speech is meaningless if you can get fired at the drop of a hat for saying how you feel. Craig did more intensive stunts than all the other actors combined. He has every right to complain.

Clamors to fire him are mostly just exagerrated outrage made to hold social order of employees being submissive.

It's a new era of capitalism. We're not in pre-reform Britain anymore. I'm glad Craig didn't Sixth Sense himself like Bruce Willis and shortchange himself for charity whilst execs make billions. Why did Bruce Willis need a million? What a question... Why does the CEO need a billion?

If you have talents and you're needed, employers need to leave a good impression on you ; It's no longer a one way street ; throw your weight around Dan.

People saw Spectre for JAMES BOND.Not the actor who was playing him.

If what you say was true every film Craig made would be a blockbuster.Its quite the opposite actually.

• Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    M16_Cart wrote: »

People saw Spectre for JAMES BOND.Not the actor who was playing him.

If what you say was true every film Craig made would be a blockbuster.Its quite the opposite actually.

True, both The Golden Compass and Cowboys and Aliens were financial failures, no getting around that.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    It's what I've said for a while now: I don't think Craig is making or breaking the franchise - if he was truly that successful in film, why does almost every movie he works on bomb/underperform at the box office, minus Bond?
  • GBFGBF
    Birdleson wrote: »
    The combination of Bond/Craig is a sell. I don't think that will be as strong coming off of SP, as I don't think it resonated with the general public.

I guess every Bond actor is a sell if he is established as the new Bond. That is certainly why Moore made so many films... despite his age.