Controversial opinions about Bond films

Comments

• edited November 2016 Posts: 11,189
    echo wrote: »
    Murdock wrote: »
    BAIN123 wrote: »
    Found the music to that scene. Its like a crap version of Dr No's "jump up"

Reminds me of Diddy Kong Racing for the N64. :))

Also Dirty Love. Worst Bond soundtrack song ever?

LTK has a couple of shockers in 'Dirty Love' - indicative of cheesy 80s soft rock and 'if you asked me to' annoys me too. 'The experience of love' in GE is a shocker as is 'Make it last all night' from FYEO.

I like Dirty Love because of its cheesiness. Reminds me of the likes of Jon Bon Jovi.

If You Asked Me To is quite an emotional sounding song on its own too but it the way its used at the end of the film again makes it seem a bit cheesy in my view.
  • Well, true to the nature of this thread I should say I have no shame in professing my fondness for Patti LaBelle's "If You Asked Me To." One of my favorites. Love that song. (And not for any kind of perceived cheese factor either.)
  • Birdleson wrote: »
    I think that Blofeld in drag not only makes sense in terms of the plot, but I that he looks cool like that too.

Among the most controversial things I've seen posted here to date for sure.
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    To be honest I find Blofeld in drag quite funny and it does suit his overly campy character anyway in DAF.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    I think TB and DAF are two of the best films in the series in terms of humour. Although, DAF does contain some of the worst humour as well. "I didn't know there was a pool down there" Is brilliant, and a rare instance of a joke by someone other than Bond, Bond girl or Bond villain. I think the best Bond humour always has an edge to it, a hint of the macarbe. The "she's just dead" line from TB is a great example.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    I think TB and DAF are two of the best films in the series in terms of humour. Although, DAF does contain some of the worst humour as well. "I didn't know there was a pool down there" Is brilliant, and a rare instance of a joke by someone other than Bond, Bond girl or Bond villain. I think the best Bond humour always has an edge to it, a hint of the macarbe. The "she's just dead" line from TB is a great example.
    Agreed. Two of the best not just in terms of humour, but also in terms of wit and dialogue. Very different entries, but certainly in these regards, both represent the best of Bond.
    Watching TLD on this Sunday afternoon. Solid film but still not sure I like the whole mountain chase portion. It's got nothing to do with the films story and the Moore style shots of the bumbling policemen feel dated.
    edited November 2016 Posts: 8,113
    bondjames wrote: »
    Agreed. Two of the best not just in terms of humour, but also in terms of wit and dialogue. Very different entries, but certainly in these regards, both represent the best of Bond.

It really wouldn't surprise me to see a transition from the earnest emotion of Craig's Bond into a dark, acerbic Bond in Bond 25. They can't go back to Roger Moore type humour, as I think SP shows, to some degree, It seems quite obvious and forced nowadays. At the same time, they can't keep going with the realistic approach forever. Sooner or later they're going to have to come up with a way to bring the irreverant Bond back, but in a way that feels fresh and contemporary. If they can't do that then the series will die, simple as that. They need a direction to go, and it has always been that fluctuation between the light and dark that has kept things from becoming stale.

• bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited November 2016 Posts: 23,883

It really wouldn't surprise me to see a transition from the earnest emotion of Craig's Bond into a dark, acerbic Bond in Bond 25. They can't go back to Roger Moore type humour, as I think SP shows, to some degree, It seems quite obvious and forced nowadays. At the same time, they can't keep going with the realistic approach forever. Sooner or later they're going to have to come up with a way to bring the irreverant Bond back, but in a way that feels fresh and contemporary. If they can't do that then the series will die, simple as that. They need a direction to go, and it has always been that fluctuation between the light and dark that has kept things from getting stale.
    I agree again, but I also think that will very much depend on the actor that they cast. The humour and wit must flow naturally from the actor and must seem genuine to his persona. It's not as easy to pull off as some folks think and is not solely dependent on good writing. Robert Downey Jr. as Iron Man/Tony Stark is an example of an actor/character who is very popular precisely because he can bring that balance beautifully to the screen in an instinctive manner.

It really wouldn't surprise me to see a transition from the earnest emotion of Craig's Bond into a dark, acerbic Bond in Bond 25. They can't go back to Roger Moore type humour, as I think SP shows, to some degree, It seems quite obvious and forced nowadays. At the same time, they can't keep going with the realistic approach forever. Sooner or later they're going to have to come up with a way to bring the irreverant Bond back, but in a way that feels fresh and contemporary. If they can't do that then the series will die, simple as that. They need a direction to go, and it has always been that fluctuation between the light and dark that has kept things from getting stale.
    I agree again, but I also think that will very much depend on the actor that they cast. The humour and wit must flow naturally from the actor and must seem genuine to his persona. It's not as easy to pull off as some folks think and is not solely dependent on good writing. Robert DowneyDowney Jr. as Iron Man/Tony Stark is an example of an actor/character who is very popular precisely because he can bring that balance beautifully to the screen in an instinctive manner.

I think Aidan Turner would be perfect for that, I genuinely do. I'm glad you mentioned that, because that's precisely why I'm kinda lost with the criticism that Aidan isn't a good enough actor for Bond. They're probably right, if we're talking about Craig style Bond, with an emotional arc, excetera. But I'm convinced that the next Bond will be characterised for exactly the opposite, for being emotionally distant. Or even emotionally absent. And not in the sense of Moore/Connery being "superman" types personas who weren't effected by anything, either. In a much more realistic sense of being focused solely on his mission. A modern machevellian type guy, who is just trying to do his job and stay alive. That concept sounds kind of a downer, which is why I think the humour would work well as a tool to give this character his humanity. It would be a more snappy, sardonic Bond, but still keeping with the increased focus on reality.

In this particular lense, Aidan Turner is perfect. He has undoubtedly a dark serious image, a mysterious stranger with a striking stare. But at the same time, if you watch any interview with the press, he is incredibly laid back, relaxed and good humoured.

Sometimes I think people can forget that there is a big difference between darkness and seriousness. Whatever happens, I think the next Bond will be both dark and irreverent. I also think the humour will be more throwaway, rather than the kind of set up/pay off of a traditional Bond.

• MooseWithFleasMooseWithFleas Philadelphia
    Well, true to the nature of this thread I should say I have no shame in professing my fondness for Patti LaBelle's "If You Asked Me To." One of my favorites. Love that song. (And not for any kind of perceived cheese factor either.)

Cheers @Some_Kind_Of_Hero! Very emotional song that I enjoy thoroughly start to finish. I slightly prefer "If There Was A Man" which has an even greater impact, but both are phenomenal.

I also love the wedding music and Dirty Love from LTK. Both are some tremendous cheese that dates the film, but in a good way IMO.

So good that Hugh Jackman pretty much ripped off the exact same joke in The Wolverine.

• Dirty Love is amazing 80s cheese!

"Dirty, dirty love!"

IKR? I actually like it.
  • GBFGBF
    Birdleson wrote: »
    I think that Blofeld in drag not only makes sense in terms of the plot, but I that he looks cool like that too.

The scene makes perfect sense in that paticular part of the film. I also don't mind it as much as others do. One should, however, not compare this kind of Blofeld to the one who we know from FRWL and TB. But his reveal in YOLT already took away much of the mystery surrounding this character.

I just find it strange why Tiffany Case followed the old lady. What was the point of that scene? Why should she have done this? Is it explained somewhere?
  • royale65royale65 Caustic misanthrope reporting for duty.
    Birdleson wrote: »
    It seems like everyone in the world of DAF knows that Blofeld has a white cat (just as Bond himself is a well known "secret" agent), and that's what she saw and decided to investigate.

I just assumed that Bond told Tiffany about the cat.

And Blofeld, posing as Whyte via the novels ABC, told the "pipeline" to watch out for a secret agent named Bond.

It's strange what one will do if the screenwriters are to lazy.

• GBFGBF
    Did Bond and Tiffany actually meet in between Bond's encouter with Blofeld and the particular scene when she followed Blofeld in drag?

Bond thought Blofeld was dead before he met him again in the Whyte House. It would probably only make sense if he told her about Blofeld and his cat if he knew that Blofeld was still alive.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Are Bouvar and Blofeld the only SPECTRE members to crossdress, or is it common behaviour? I can see Vargas slipping on a dress, but Hinx?
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    Are Bouvar and Blofeld the only SPECTRE members to crossdress, or is it common behaviour? I can see Vargas slipping on a dress, but Hinx?

Does that mean that Tamahori is a SPECTRE agent?
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    Excellent, @DaltonCraig007. You beat me to it!
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    Controversial: Lois Maxwell should have retired after DAF

Hinx is Jinx. It would be a twist worthy of Fight Club.

Michaela Clavell should have taken on the role of Moneypenny.
  • GBFGBF
    edited November 2016 Posts: 3,195
    tanaka123 wrote: »

Michaela Clavell should have taken on the role of Moneypenny.

They kept this amazing idea for Bond25.
    How about this...Daniel Craig should have been FIRED from the Bond role after his '' I would rather slash my own wrists '' comments last year.

Bond is bigger than any actor who plays him.The amount of money they are talking about to bring him back is ridiculous.Recast the role with an actor who actually wants the role and is appreciative of it.
    AstonLotus wrote: »

Bond is bigger than any actor who plays him.

Indeed.

Yes, especially with respect to Daniel Craig who stands only 5'10".
  • GumboldGumbold Atlantis
    Die another day is not a bad movie if you view it as a 40th anniversary homage to the entire franchise. I enjoy finding all the little references to the past films, and some tracks in the score are really great, like the gun barrel, hovercraft chase and welcome to cuba. Pierce Brosnan is good as usual too
  • BMW_with_missilesBMW_with_missiles All the usual refinements.
    Gumbold wrote: »
    Die another day is not a bad movie if you view it as a 40th anniversary homage to the entire franchise. I enjoy finding all the little references to the past films, and some tracks in the score are really great, like the gun barrel, hovercraft chase and welcome to cuba. Pierce Brosnan is good as usual too

I agree. In fact, I like to look at it as a 70's Roger Moore style adventure.
    I've grown to really enjoy much, if not most, of it. I will never be able to stomach the childish innuendos, Jinx in general, the GGI jump, the CGI laser, the CGI Parasailing and Madonna's atrocious cameo. Not to mention everything that occurs after Bond and Jinx sneaking aboard Graves' plan.

I think that summarises exactly why people can't enjoy DAD.
  • @Birdleson, those are precisely the faults I find with DAD, however I would add Mr. Kill and the terrible laser fight scene, double-emphasize your "everything that occurs after Bond and Jinx sneaking aboard Graves' plane" remark, and clarify that I actually think the death satellite CGI (with accompanying laser) is pretty well done. Other than that—which is a lot—DAD is pretty dang enjoyable.
  • BMW_with_missilesBMW_with_missiles All the usual refinements.
    DAD almost tricks you. For a good portion of the film, it seems like a perfectly normal Bond movie. Then the gene therapy thing shows up, then the invisible car (which I admittedly love), and then the events in the ice hotel start and it's, "Surprise! Acid trip!" That said, I love this mess of a Bond movie.
  • w2bondw2bond is indeed a very rare breed
    Not sure if this is controversial but I like the Ice Palace. Not so much the CGI parts when it's melting but at last a decent villain lair which hadn't been seen since 1979