Controversial opinions about Bond films

Comments

• edited December 2016 Posts: 12,274
    It really is a let-down for me. I genuinely enjoy it up through the sword duel, save for a few bumps, then when it reaches the ice palace, it loses me. Still, it has never quite been at the very bottom of my list. The PTS chase through Bond's time being imprisoned is especially good.
    Tatiana Romanova is the most overrated Bond girl.

I've said it somewhere before (possibly on this thread a long time ago), but I've always felt that way.
    w2bond wrote: »
    Not sure if this is controversial but I like the Ice Palace. Not so much the CGI parts when it's melting but at last a decent villain lair which hadn't been seen since 1979

I always thought the Ice Palace itself was col and very Bondian.
    Tatiana Romanova is maybe the greatest Bond girl ever as a character. And Daniela Bianchi is gorgeous.

Maybe a controversial opinion: Do You Know How Christmas Trees Are Grown is a great Christmas song.
  • Ludovico wrote: »
    Tatiana Romanova is maybe the greatest Bond girl ever as a character. And Daniela Bianchi is gorgeous.

Maybe a controversial opinion: Do You Know How Christmas Trees Are Grown is a great Christmas song.

Agreed. I didn't care for it at the beginning, but then, when listened on the OST Barry gives it some kind of an epic scale with those blaring horns combined with the carillon chiming. I love it. And Nina has that stereotipically Teutonic voice that makes her singing powerful yet sweet... The lyrics are sappy, but easy to follow for non-native speakers.

I'll have to listen to the German version to see if it improves the original.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited December 2016 Posts: 23,883
    Daniela is gorgeous in FRWL. Her mouth is definitely the right size. Sean, I concur. She looked pretty decent in the most recent pics I've seen of her as well. Aged nicely.

Do You Know How Christmas Trees are Grown is the only track I fast forward on my OHMSS cd. Awful. However, the Christmas bells in it were homaged in the Spectre teaser trailer (1:10 to 1:20 below)

I thought it was more a nod to Eyes Wide Shut. DYKHCTAG is brilliantly used in the film and the silly lyrics make it even better.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    Birdleson wrote: »
    But the rest, particularly the first half and hour is a great watch.
    Pierce is great here.
  • edited December 2016 Posts: 12,274
    Ludovico wrote: »

Knew this would work as a controversial opinion. I'm alone, but I just don't care for her character at all. Don't get me wrong, FRWL is a great Bond film, but I just don't like Tatiana.

Here's something further that is likely controversial - Domino is (usually - if not, tied with Honey Ryder) my favorite of the Connery Bond girls.
  • edited December 2016 Posts: 14,840
    May I ask why?

That said I do have a soft spot for Domino who is underrated.
    I like that she proves very useful (ex: kills the main villain!), has the connection with Largo killing her brother, and she just comes off as likable to me. She's also good-looking!
    I meant about Tatiana. Domino I agree in fact I find her superior to Pussy Galore.
    Domino is outstanding, as is Fiona. Simply outstanding. Love that film and love the cast.
    Tatiana just irks me. It just annoys me how she can never stop thinking or talking about sex around Bond. She doesn't have many qualities I find particularly likable.
  • royale65royale65 Caustic misanthrope reporting for duty.
    That was her mission.
    FoxRox wrote: »

Knew this would work as a controversial opinion. I'm alone, but I just don't care for her character at all. Don't get me wrong, FRWL is a great Bond film, but I just don't like Tatiana.

Here's something further that is likely controversial - Domino is (usually - if not, tied with Honey Ryder) my favorite of the Connery Bond girls.

Domino is my favorite Connery Bond girl as well.
    ToTheRight wrote: »

Same here.Iv always loved Domino.Easily my favourite Connery Bond girl.

royale65 wrote: »
    That was her mission.

Be that as it may, it's still obnoxious to me. It's incessant and over-stressed IMO, to where it just becomes annoying and clingy.
    AstonLotus wrote: »
    ToTheRight wrote: »

Same here.Iv always loved Domino.Easily my favourite Connery Bond girl.

Guess it wasn't too controversial then. Domino's always among my favorites in the whole series. A big part of why I enjoy TB.
    Ok here is something controversial: Pussy Galore comes too late in the movie and this weakens her character.
    edited December 2016 Posts: 23,883
    Pussy was indeed weak imho, but more on account of her being too easily turned by Bond's charms (formidable though they may have been) rather than her coming late to the party.
    No one could resist Connery's charm circa 1964.
    royale65 wrote: »
    No one could resist Connery's charm circa 1964.

Very true.Not even lesbians ( as is strongly implied in the film! ).
    Galore is a solid Bond girl IMO. Not the best nor the worst.
  • GBFGBF
    Galore is a solid Bond girl IMO. Not the best nor the worst.

I think so too. Blakmann is a great actor and Bond and Pussy have good chemistry but her back story is not the best. Like Honey she turns up to late in the film. Her turning good is also not really convincing and I am never convinced of her being evil in the beginning. She also lacks the charisma and self confidence that Fiona Volpe has as the best of all femmes fatales.

bondjames wrote: »
    Pussy was indeed weak imho, but more on account of her being too easily turned by Bond's charms (formidable though they may have been) rather than her coming late to the party.

Which may not have been the case had Bond worked on her for the whole movie or so.
    bondjames wrote: »

Which may not have been the case had Bond worked on her for the whole movie or so.
    True. Even though it's one of the most iconic entries, GF did have its share of throwaway girls during the earlier half of the film (both Mastersons lasted for a few minutes of screen time at most and Dink was on screen just to get a slap on her behind).
    Don't know if it's very controversial, but TB is my favorite overall collection of Bond girls in a Bond film. Fiona and Domino alone really put it at the top in that department for me.
    Don't know if it's very controversial, but TB is my favorite overall collection of Bond girls in a Bond film. Fiona and Domino alone really put it at the top in that department for me.

We may disagree about Tatiana but we agree on TB's magnificent beauties!

Let's not forget Pat.