"Dont blow it all at once ": Die Another Day Appreciation Thread

Comments

• marketto007marketto007 Brazil
    What about Alicia Keys coming out of the water in a Honey Rider / Jinx style?

f_104481.jpg

xxx
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    ^
    Nothing beats the original, and this is still the case, the only exception so far has been that the newer True Grit beats the classic True Grit.
  • royale65royale65 Caustic misanthrope reporting for duty.
    So, like the Wizard, I had a spare afternoon to myself and decided to watch Die Another Day. Which is very unusual for me; I tend to watch all the movies in a Bond-athon, every two/three years. So, why DAD? There are, after all, a plethora of Bond movies to choose from? To be honest I don’t really know; I wanted a light, fun entry, to be sure, plus @00Beast raised some very good points in his review, page 14, so DAD was my choice. (Blame him!)

Up until the Antonov climax, I really, really enjoyed it, well not the ice dragster bit, but anyway. During the Antonov climax…meh. (Have any of you seen James and the Giant Peach? When the ice dragster goes off the glacier, that’s what it reminds me of. Anyway, I digress). ((They just have well used a carrot, attached to a bit of string for that sequence!))

Where was I? Ah yes… It’s still rooted at No 20 in my rankings, but like Moonraker before it, it’s gone up in my expectations.

The Bad

• Corny dialogue “psychedelic light mask!”
    • Zao is an appalling henchman. There have been weak henchman, Scarpine springs to mind, but not this bad, plus he’s in an awful lot of the movie.
    • Bad CGI (CGI should not be in a Bond movie, period. Even if it’s done well)
    • Bad puns
    • Speed up editing. I think they called it speed ramping; stop it!
    • Halle Berry degenerates into one of the most disappointing Bond girls.
    • Invisible Cars
    • The plot is circa 1971

The Good

• Berry starts up with an intriguing character.
    • The Pikelet
    • The first half an hour is up there with the best of the series, and the first half is up there with the rest of the Brosnan tenure,
    • The production values
    • The music. I know its techno driven, but it gives a certain chutzpah to the film. (I used to listen to “Hovercraft Chase” before 5-a-side football, at school, to get me in the mood).
    • Bond going rouge in a novel fashion, trying to redeem himself.
    • Main titles given us a glimpse of Bond torture.
    • Raoul is a great little ally, and General Moon gives some presence to his character.
    • The action is kick ass.
    • Especially the sword fight, which isn’t ruined by some bud puns. Classic 007
    • Sentimental scene with the Quartermaster.
    • The scenes with Bond and M crackle with tension.
    • Graves’ sneering villainy. Previously I’d have said this was a pastiche, a parody on Bond villainy, but as Graves’ comments Bond made a lasting impression on him, so really it was Moon/Graves imitation of Bond persona.
    • The Moonraker novel provided inspiration for the screenplay.
    • “I’m just here for the birds”. Love Brosnan’s delivery of this line. (I always used to say the dialogue between Jinx and Bond was a poor attempt of the flirtatious banter, a’la the 1960’s. But lets take it in context; Bond has just gotten out of prison, he’s desperate for some, um, female companionship, should we say. He implies his chats up lines were too strong, but Jinx says she could like it.
    • Last, but not least, Pierce Brosnan, who at his fourth attempt, seemed to have nailed his performance. He’s got a swagger in this film; he seems much more comfortable in the role. I felt he had one more film in him, so it’s a shame to end his tenure of such a bad line; “Especially when you’re bad”. Oh Pierce…

Die Another Day has a great first half, and sub-par second half, symptomatic with the rest of Brosnan’s era. The first half of his movies had so much potential, but played it safe with loud bangs and not very good boner gags.

^
    Nothing beats the original, and this is still the case, the only exception so far has been that the newer True Grit beats the classic True Grit.

Off topic, but it True Grit good? I've been meaning to see it.

Also, as much as I hate some films being remade, there's actually been a few times when the remake has been better. EG, newer Piranha beats classic Piranha.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    ^

Also, as much as I hate some films being remade, there's actually been a few times when the remake has been better. EG, newer Piranha beats classic Piranha.

Both are great, one John Wayne, another Jeff Bridges. The Bridges is superior, because it sticks to the Charles Portis novel it is based on, while the Wayne version takes too many liberties.
  • edited June 2012 Posts: 12,837
    ^

Both are great, one John Wayne, another Jeff Bridges. The Bridges is superior, because it sticks to the Charles Portis novel it is based on, while the Wayne version takes too many liberties.

Thanks. I'll put the Bridges version on my love film list (not sure the Wayne version is on there).
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    royale65 wrote:
    So, like the Wizard, I had a spare afternoon to myself and decided to watch Die Another Day. Which is very unusual for me; I tend to watch all the movies in a Bond-athon, every two/three years. So, why DAD? There are, after all, a plethora of Bond movies to choose from? To be honest I don’t really know; I wanted a light, fun entry, to be sure, plus @00Beast raised some very good points in his review, page 14, so DAD was my choice. (Blame him!)

Up until the Antonov climax, I really, really enjoyed it, well not the ice dragster bit, but anyway. During the Antonov climax…meh. (Have any of you seen James and the Giant Peach? When the ice dragster goes off the glacier, that’s what it reminds me of. Anyway, I digress). ((They just have well used a carrot, attached to a bit of string for that sequence!))

Where was I? Ah yes… It’s still rooted at No 20 in my rankings, but like Moonraker before it, it’s gone up in my expectations.

The Bad

• Zao is an appalling henchman. There have been weak henchman, Scarpine springs to mind, but not this bad, plus he’s in an awful lot of the movie.
    • Bad puns
    • Invisible Cars
    • The plot is circa 1971

The Good

• The Pikelet
    • The first half an hour is up there with the best of the series, and the first half is up there with the rest of the Brosnan tenure,
    • The production values
    • The music. I know its techno driven, but it gives a certain chutzpah to the film. (I used to listen to “Hovercraft Chase” before 5-a-side football, at school, to get me in the mood).
    • Raoul is a great little ally, and General Moon gives some presence to his character.
    • Graves’ sneering villainy. Previously I’d have said this was a pastiche, a parody on Bond villainy, but as Graves’ comments Bond made a lasting impression on him, so really it was Moon/Graves imitation of Bond persona.
    • “I’m just here for the birds”. Love Brosnan’s delivery of this line. (I always used to say the dialogue between Jinx and Bond was a poor attempt of the flirtatious banter, a’la the 1960’s. But lets take it in context; Bond has just gotten out of prison, he’s desperate for some, um, female companionship, should we say. He implies his chats up lines were too strong, but Jinx says she could like it.
    • Last, but not least, Pierce Brosnan, who at his fourth attempt, seemed to have nailed his performance. He’s got a swagger in this film; he seems much more comfortable in the role. I felt he had one more film in him, so it’s a shame to end his tenure of such a bad line; “Especially when you’re bad”. Oh Pierce…

Die Another Day has a great first half, and sub-par second half, symptomatic with the rest of Brosnan’s era. The first half of his movies had so much potential, but played it safe with loud bangs and not very good boner gags.

I agree with almost everything you've said. Although I did quite like one use of the sped up editing effect - the sequence where Bond drives towards the Ice Palace for the first time. I thought that was quite cool, but it was overused throughout the rest of the film. Even John Woo doesn't use it as much as Tamahori did in Die Another Day. The CGI was ridiculous. You could cut out that entire cliff/tsunami sequence and it wouldn't make a blind bit of difference to the plot. In fact, it helps the pacing very much!
  • Maybe. If you reshoot about 75% of the film...
    Maybe. If you reshoot about 75% of the film...

Harsh. I'd say 25%. The Iceland bits with all the CGI and the plane finale. Other than that I think it's a fine Bond film.
  • Lancaster007Lancaster007 Shrublands Health Clinic, England
    Dr_Metz wrote:
    I don't mind DAD. I liked the face morphing thing, the ice palace, and the PTS. The CGI was pretty bad, but at least it wasn't 90% CGI, like another film that came out that year *coughattackoftheclonescough*. It also has arguably Pierce Brosnan's best Bond performance as well. But, it also has the worst theme song from the original Bond series.
    8. John Cleese comes across as a decent Q and would prefer to see him back than have some young techno geek as we have in SF.
    This right here is why Skyfall is probably going to not be good. They had the perfect replacement for Llewelyn with Cleese, and they just replace him with some dumb kid with a stupid face.

Actually I disagree. I don't think Cleese would have fitted in well in the Craig era. To me he is just John Cleese, not Q.
    Hopefully they have cast right, but we won't know till the end of October.
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    royale65 wrote:

The Bad

• Bad puns
    • Invisible Cars
    • The plot is circa 1971

The Good

• The Pikelet
    • The production values

I agree with almost everything you've said. Although I did quite like one use of the sped up editing effect - the sequence where Bond drives towards the Ice Palace for the first time. I thought that was quite cool, but it was overused throughout the rest of the film. Even John Woo doesn't use it as much as Tamahori did in Die Another Day. The CGI was ridiculous. You could cut out that entire cliff/tsunami sequence and it wouldn't make a blind bit of difference to the plot. In fact, it helps the pacing very much!

And I agree with most of what you both have said. I watched DAD about 4 days ago. Really good opening, still loved the swordfight. So much of it is promising or really good, but the bad parts are pretty negative (which tends to blot out the good in remembering it). I especially want to say that Brosnan was very good in this film. So a big yes to this comment by Royale65 : Pierce Brosnan, who at his fourth attempt, seemed to have nailed his performance. He’s got a swagger in this film; he seems much more comfortable in the role. I so wish DAD had fulfilled its promise and that Pierce had done one more Bond film.
    royale65 wrote:

The Bad

• Bad puns
    • Invisible Cars
    • The plot is circa 1971

The Good

• The Pikelet
    • The production values

And I agree with most of what you both have said. I watched DAD about 4 days ago. Really good opening, still loved the swordfight. So much of it is promising or really good, but the bad parts are pretty negative (which tends to blot out the good in remembering it). I especially want to say that Brosnan was very good in this film. So a big yes to this comment by Royale65 : Pierce Brosnan, who at his fourth attempt, seemed to have nailed his performance. He’s got a swagger in this film; he seems much more comfortable in the role. I so wish DAD had fulfilled its promise and that Pierce had done one more Bond film.

I agree with pretty much what all you guys have said.
    The things which bug me the most about DAD are the dodgy CGI and bad dialouge. Like writing a part for someone called Mr Kil just so you can have a rubbish gag.

But something i have always thought the writers and Lee tamahori did well (IMO) is come up with intresting ways to kill the villians, Mr Kil with the laser through his head, Zao with the diamond chandalier spiking him and Graves getting sucked into the planes engine. I dont think any of their deaths were boring even if you didn't think they were done particuarly well or think they were necessary, i think they were trying to be inventive and i applaud them for that. DAD is a guilty pleasure for me.
    A question for curiosity- Does anyone actually have Die Another Day higher in their rankings, as in not anywhere below #16 or so? I for one have it at #15, and I'm quite proud of it too.
    I have it at 21st, but I need to rewatch my lower ranked films. Looking back on it there's alot of stuff I really enjoyed so I might move it up a bit once I've rewatched it.
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    No it isn't
  • edited July 2012 Posts: 533
    The only two things about DAD that I dislike are the Iceland sequence, which seemed like a rip-off of the sci-fi fantasy crap that marred such movies like "GF" and "TMWTGG"; and the lack of intelligence in the Miranda Frost character. I wonder how Rosamund Pike felt about the dumb decisions that Miranda made.

I found nothing exceptional about Ursula Andress' first appearance in DR. NO. I can say the same about Halle Berry's first appearance in DIE ANOTHER DAY. But at least Berry had a character that did more than be the damsel-in-distress.
    DRush76 wrote:
    The only two things about DAD that I dislike are the Iceland sequence, which seemed like a rip-off of the sci-fi fantasy crap that marred such movies like "GF" and "TMWTGG"; and the lack of intelligence in the Miranda Frost character. I wonder how Rosamund Pike felt about the dumb decisions that Miranda made.

I found nothing exceptional about Ursula Andress' first appearance in DR. NO. I can say the same about Halle Berry's first appearance in DIE ANOTHER DAY. But at least Berry had a character that did more than be the damsel-in-distress.

I'm sorry, but Honey wasn't ever in distress until the end. She was a tough cookie and could defend herself damn fine. Jinx on the other hand jinxed (PUN INTENDED) everything she touched and had to be saved more times than Ursula, and put Bond in danger while he tried to save her hide more than once. AND SHE WASN'T EVEN WORTH SAVING!
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    00Beast wrote:
    A question for curiosity- Does anyone actually have Die Another Day higher in their rankings, as in not anywhere below #16 or so? I for one have it at #15, and I'm quite proud of it too.

It's in my top 10.
    I can't believe how long his thread has gone on for. It will never be out of bottom five for me. The awful Madonna music, the Berry character, Brosnan past his best and seemed inappropriate, some stupid dumb CGI scenes, poor villains 'Mr Kil' etc, uninteresting main bad guy you couldn't care about, Invisible Car, too much reference to past Bond movies etc, terrible ending also. I will always dislike it for making a mockery of the original Honey Ryder 'out of ocean' moment in the first release, 40th anniversary or not, that should of been left alone and not re-done, especially by the awful Berry character. It is such a shame

• Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    I don't mind the film. Sure, a lot of things are incredibly cheesy to me and I find them hard to enjoy, but there's still a good bit that's salvageable that allows me to watch it and still enjoy myself: PTS, the Cuba scenes, the sword fight, and the car chase between Bond and Zao.

While I didn't care for the 'virtual reality' take on it, Bond's training mission as he cleans out his P99 was good. I didn't care for some of the lines - "Saved by the bell.", Jinx's lines as she is being tortured, and the 'psychedelic mask' bit, along with all of the Icarus scenes, Graves' electrical suit, and all of the incredibly horrid CGI.

Overall, I try to take the good over the bad and let myself watch it when I'm slightly in the mood. As bad as some people find it, it is still part of the Bond timeline and series, and everyone should appreciate at least something from it.
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    Murdock wrote:
    00Beast wrote:

It's in my top 10.

Christ - theres a reason hes called Murdock!
    Is there anyone out there willing to go even higher than Howling Mad's ranking of DAD in the top 10?

Wheres old ChanandlerBong when you need him?
    Murdock wrote:
    00Beast wrote:

It's in my top 10.

Is there anyone out there willing to go even higher than Howling Mad's ranking of DAD in the top 10?

Was he the urban legend who had it as his favourite Bond film?
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    BAIN123 wrote:
    Murdock wrote:
    00Beast wrote:

It's in my top 10.

Was he the urban legend who had it as his favourite Bond film?

Indeed. Obviously got the piss ripped out of him but he gave good banter back.
  • edited July 2012 Posts: 3,494
    DRush76 wrote:

I'm sorry, but Honey wasn't ever in distress until the end. She was a tough cookie and could defend herself damn fine. Jinx on the other hand jinxed (PUN INTENDED) everything she touched and had to be saved more times than Ursula, and put Bond in danger while he tried to save her hide more than once. AND SHE WASN'T EVEN WORTH SAVING!

Well said O'Brady. I never thought a Bond film could be worse than MR, but this one certainly qualifies. It has a few good scenes, but not nearly enough to qualify it as a good film. It's certainly utter s**t compared to the Connery films short of DAF, and even DAF is far more entertaining.

Keep an eye in the rearview mirror. The trolls are everywhere ;)
    Murdock wrote:
    00Beast wrote:

It's in my top 10.

Come on, let's leave @Murdock out of this. I asked the question for heavens' sake, no need to jump all over him when he answered my qestion in the first place. Sheesh, sometimes I think you look for an argument.

Actually Wizard, I'm called Murdock because of a story I wrote about a character named Bruce Murdock.

Anyway, You'll really think I'm howling mad when you see my top 10.

1. GoldenEye.
    2. Casino Royale.
    3. Quantum of Solace.
    4. Tomorrow Never Dies
    5. The World is Not Enough
    6. Die Another Day.
    7. You Only Live Twice.
    8. The Spy Who Loved Me.
    9. Moonraker.
    10. Octopussy.

@00Beast, It's quite alright. :)
    @Murdock, very interesting list, I must say. Nice to see another crazy Brosnan fan, such as myself.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    Murdock wrote:

Actually Wizard, I'm called Murdock because of a story I wrote about a character named Bruce Murdock.

Anyway, You'll really think I'm howling mad when you see my top 10.

1. GoldenEye.
    2. Casino Royale.
    3. Quantum of Solace.
    4. Tomorrow Never Dies
    5. The World is Not Enough
    6. Die Another Day.
    7. You Only Live Twice.
    8. The Spy Who Loved Me.
    9. Moonraker.
    10. Octopussy.

@00Beast, It's quite alright. :)

Murdock is very much a 90's man. I think it's good we have someone to stick up for the era, where it seems to be in fashion to bash it at every given moment. Respect.
    edited July 2012 Posts: 16,335
    Creasy47 wrote:
    @Murdock, very interesting list, I must say. Nice to see another crazy Brosnan fan, such as myself.

Yes, Brosnan Bond fan since 1995! but I love every James Bond film too. I don't have a reason to bash any of them. I just tend to critique some of them every now and then.
    Murdock wrote:
    Creasy47 wrote:

Yes, Brosnan Bond fan since 1995! but I love every James Bond film too. I don't have a reason to bash any of them. I just tend to critique some of them every now and then.

My thoughts exactly. I don't hate any of them, nor do I wish for any of them to be deleted from the history of Bond. As you say, I do have little nitpicks here and there, but I have plenty of reasons to watch all of them and still have a good time.