"Dont blow it all at once ": Die Another Day Appreciation Thread

Comments

• 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    I haven't even seen the 3rd one yet released about 2007 and we've had it at home for about three years now. I wouldn't want to watch the 4th I just know it, probably why I wouldn't like the third either, although the first two are the best, but I kind of lost interest with MI at some stage
    You are missing out big time.
    Well I can always watch the third one, I simply haven't wanted to as of yet, been meaning to put it on a year or two ago, but simply lost interest, not to say I won't watch it mind

It's the way these series invariably go, I like to watch these things, but they're not James Bond movies and I simply don't share the same interest with the Mission Impossibles, Die Hards, Indiana Jones etc etc releases that I do with Bond

I saw Die Hard IV when it was released and actually I didn't think much of it, nothing I remember with the first three at least in terms of enjoyment. McClane was simply too old by that point and the character just felt void or redundant, or archaic even. The series should of ended in 1995 when the character was still just about plausible I truly feel. These filmmakers need to realize that sooner or later enough is enough, but it's all about the money at the end of the day. Plausibility and commonsense take a back seat to the power of the dollar, so long as there's money to be made they'll only continue with these things
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    edited April 2012 Posts: 28,694
    Well I can always watch the third one, I simply haven't wanted to as of yet, been meaning to put it on a year or two ago, but simply lost interest, not to say I won't watch it mind

It's the way these series invariably go, I like to watch these things, but they're not James Bond movies and I simply don't share the same interest with the Mission Impossibles, Die Hards, Indiana Jones etc etc releases that I do with Bond

I saw Die Hard IV when it was released and actually I didn't think much of it, nothing I remember with the first three at least in terms of enjoyment. McClane was simply too old by that point and the character just felt void or redundant, or archaic even. The series should of ended in 1995 when the character was still just about plausible I truly feel. These filmmakers need to realize that sooner or later enough is enough, but it's all about the money at the end of the day. Plausibility and commonsense take a back seat to the power of the dollar, so long as there's money to be made they'll only continue with these things
    tumblr_ludsj81cX21qd39nmo1_r1_400.jpg
    +
    Steven-Spielberg.jpg
    =
    51W%2B6qfrsML._SX500_.jpg
    :-L
  • X3MSonicXX3MSonicX https://www.behance.net/gallery/86760163/Fa-Posteres-de-007-No-Time-To-Die
    edited April 2012 Posts: 2,635
    Actually i liked that Indiana Jones movie... for me it is fun O.o

P.S: i didn't saw the other ones yet...
    X3MSonicX wrote:

:-O

YOU KNOW THE DRILL GENTS!
    5438657338_cee7138a97_z.jpg
    If you'd seen the other three first in theaters I'd think you'd have a difference of opinion

I think now they'll just keep bringing these out so long as Harrison Ford is breathing and still has a pulse..

Coming soon to theaters - 'Indiana Jones in motorized cart looking round an antiques shop as the SF 49'ers win another Super bowl' 8-|
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    When I saw Die Another Day for the first time when I was 11 years old I thought it was the best James Bond movie ever, Almost 10 years later, I can see some of it's faults but I still enjoy it. I listen to the Soundtrack almost everyday. Die Another Day in sometime will be looked at as a great fun film. It's not horrible, but I love it.
    Murdock wrote:
    When I saw Die Another Day for the first time when I was 11 years old I thought it was the best James Bond movie ever, Almost 10 years later, I can see some of it's faults but I still enjoy it. I listen to the Soundtrack almost everyday. Die Another Day in sometime will be looked at as a great fun film. It's not horrible, but I love it.

Indy 4 tarnished a franchise. I won't accept it. Same with DAD, which will always be a lesson of 'what not to do' for Bond films.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Indy 4 tarnished a franchise. I won't accept it. Same with DAD, which will always be a lesson of 'what not to do' for Bond films.

True but I wouldn't say I want another movie like Die Another Day but I enjoyed it.
    Indy 4 wasn't fun at all, It was cringworthy and had me rolling my eyes the whole time. Aliens + An Adventure Movie don't mix.
  • edited April 2012 Posts: 11,189
    X3MSonicX wrote:

AAArrrgggh!!! It isn't THAT Bad. ~X( ~X(

Stoopid fanboys ;)
  • When I left the theatre after DAD I felt deeply depressed. One of my favourite things in the world had been ruined, and if this was what bond films would be like in the future, then I couldn't stomach going to see them anymore. Thankfully, despite healthy profits (no-one ever went bankrupt underestimating the public's taste and intelligence!) even the producers realised this and changed direction dramatically.

The irony is that the film would be improved hugely by just a few changes: Toby Stephen's OTT performance, and cutting out madonna, and the VR and iceberg scenes.
    When I left the theatre after DAD I felt deeply depressed. One of my favourite things in the world had been ruined, and if this was what bond films would be like in the future, then I couldn't stomach going to see them anymore. Thankfully, despite healthy profits (no-one ever went bankrupt underestimating the public's taste and intelligence!) even the producers realised this and changed direction dramatically.

The irony is that the film would be improved hugely by just a few changes: Toby Stephen's OTT performance, and cutting out madonna, and the VR and iceberg scenes.

...and Jinx ;)
    BAIN123 wrote:
    X3MSonicX wrote:

AAArrrgggh!!! It isn't THAT Bad. ~X( ~X(

Stoopid fanboys ;)

It isn't that bad?!?!?! Where is the passion for film amongst some here?
    I've seen worse.

Cough*Batman and Robin*cough*.

tumblr_ludsj81cX21qd39nmo1_r1_400.jpg
    +
    Steven-Spielberg.jpg
    =
    51W%2B6qfrsML._SX500_.jpg
    :-L

• TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    I'm pretty sure FRWL is regarded as closest. Any input from those who've read it?

Hilarious. Much as I dont really agree with the way DRESSED_TO_KILL went about expressing himself (I've no problem with you insulting these people, but retain the moral high ground by doing it with a bit of panache old chap a la the Wizard) this comment is priceless.

Probably best not to slap down DTKs opinion on which Bond film is closest to Fleming when you have to ask other people as youve never read a word. Simply staggering level of glass house dwelling stone throwing.
    edited April 2012 Posts: 28,694
    I'm pretty sure FRWL is regarded as closest. Any input from those who've read it?

Hilarious. Much as I dont really agree with the way DRESSED_TO_KILL went about expressing himself (I've no problem with you insulting these people, but retain the moral high ground by doing it with a bit of panache old chap a la the Wizard) this comment is priceless.

Probably best not to slap down DTKs opinion on which Bond film is closest to Fleming when you have to ask other people as youve never read a word. Simply staggering level of glass house dwelling stone throwing.

Here we go. I HAVE read the novels, from CR to midway into MR. I WOULD have read FRWL first, but I always like to go in order. I was simply stating that many members here have said FRWL is very close to the novel, nothing more. Don't assume I haven't read a work when you don't have the decency to ask for your complacency.
  • QsAssistantQsAssistant All those moments lost in time... like tears in rain
    Die Another Day was the first Bond I got to see in the theaters, so it has a special place in my heart. That aside, I still think the film isn't anywhere near as bad as most make it out to be.
    It does have it's flaws, but so do most of the other films. Really the only thing about it I want changed is Jinx. Her one liners are lame and I don't really like the childish attitude she has. Change those and she would be more liked by me... OR... make Jinx the bad guy in the end instead of Frost.
    Here we go. I HAVE read the novels, from CR to midway into MR. I WOULD have read FRWL first, but I always like to go in order. I was simply stating that many members here have said FRWL is very close to the novel, nothing more. Don't assume I haven't read a work when you don't have the decency to ask for your complacency.

Perhaps I was a bit quick to leap in and for that I apologise.

That said call me Mr Picky but I dont constitute CR to halfway through MR as having read the novels.
    If you say you are reading the novels then fair enough - and congratulations you are far in advance of many on here towards the road to Bondian enlightenment.

And the fact remains that you havent read FRWL so my conclusion (not assumption as it was drawn from your comment 'I'm pretty sure FRWL is regarded as closest. Any input from those who've read it?') stands.

That said lets not get into an argument old boy - at least youre trying. Plenty on here who wear not having read a word of Fleming as a badge of honour.
    Enjoy MR - its one of the best, better than CR and LALD so if you enjoyed those youre in for a treat.

That said call me Mr Picky but I dont constitute CR to halfway through MR as having read the novels.
    If you say you are reading the novels then fair enough - and congratulations you are far in advance of many on here towards the road to Bondian enlightenment.

And the fact remains that you havent read FRWL so my conclusion (not assumption as it was drawn from your comment 'I'm pretty sure FRWL is regarded as closest. Any input from those who've read it?') stands.

That said lets not get into an argument old boy - at least youre trying. Plenty on here who wear not having read a word of Fleming as a badge of honour.
    Enjoy MR - its one of the best, better than CR and LALD so if you enjoyed those youre in for a treat.

He never said it was closest, but regarded as such by other members. You have no argument.
    Die Another Day was the first Bond I got to see in the theaters, so it has a special place in my heart. That aside, I still think the film isn't anywhere near as bad as most make it out to be.

You know I am going to start a thread on how much influence childhood nostalgia plays in peoples views.

Some here cant see anything with DAD as they saw it in their childhood years, some cant see anything wrong with Goldeneye because it made a big impression when they are growing up, some have no critical facilities over Goldfinger because it was part of their formative years..

I am guilty. Holds up hand. I cant see anything wrong with the films running from LALD to LTK because they were a big part of my childhood/teen years.

However.

I see they have problems. Even when seeing MR at age ten I knew their were problems and it could be improved. Those films wernt perfect ie Jaws in love, the beach boys music, Laurence of Arabia, kung fu schoolgirls..

Worship at the altar of your favourite film, by all means - but acknowledge their faults as well.
    JWESTBROOK wrote:

He never said it was closest, but regarded as such by other members. You have no argument.

I never questioned that.

My contention was that 0BradyM0Bondfanatic7 had the temerity to question DRESSED_TO_KILL's claim that CR was closest to the novels without having read both books.

For all I know DRESSED_TO_KILL hasnt read either book and is just quoting from other sources as well but my point is that 0BradyM0Bondfanatic7s attack on DRESSED_TO_KILL was a bit presumptuous seeing as he dived straight in without any of the facts in his posession, merely heresay from other fans.

I agree it is a tough call to say which of the two is closer and probably FRWL would get the nod.

"I never guess. It is a shocking habit - destructive to the logical faculty." - Sherlock Holmes.

The Wizard is the same, JWESTBROOK he never assumes. He observes and reasons.
  • edited April 2012 Posts: 4,813
    BAIN123 wrote:
    "I hope no one here is supersitious that's one big mirror we're about to break" (referring to Ikerus)

You know what I just thought of-- with all the homages to past Bond movies in DAD, I never noticed Michael Madsen has Roger Moore's eyebrows!
    =))

<center>interview_michael_madsen7.jpgroger-moore.jpgdisgusted-mother-of-god.png?1321272571</center>
    JWESTBROOK wrote:

I never questioned that.

My contention was that 0BradyM0Bondfanatic7 had the temerity to question DRESSED_TO_KILL's claim that CR was closest to the novels without having read both books.

For all I know DRESSED_TO_KILL hasnt read either book and is just quoting from other sources as well but my point is that 0BradyM0Bondfanatic7s attack on DRESSED_TO_KILL was a bit presumptuous seeing as he dived straight in without any of the facts in his posession, merely heresay from other fans.

I agree it is a tough call to say which of the two is closer and probably FRWL would get the nod.

"I never guess. It is a shocking habit - destructive to the logical faculty." - Sherlock Holmes.

The Wizard is the same, JWESTBROOK he never assumes. He observes and reasons.

I was simply sharing that it was common among members here that FRWL is regarded as closest to Fleming, and I made no indication that that was my own opinion. How can it be my opinion if I have yet to read it? And yes, I am currently READING and enjoying the novels, CR being seen as a constant favorite as I dig deeper. I am about halfway in MR and it is very good, and I love how Bond explains the average monotony of his job when he isn't on a mission. Some of the parts of the novel involving the workers and operation of The Moonraker itself remind me of Roald Dahl in prose. And that isn't a bad thing.
    I was simply sharing that it was common among members here that FRWL is regarded as closest to Fleming, and I made no indication that that was my own opinion. How can it be my opinion if I have yet to read it? And yes, I am currently READING and enjoying the novels, CR being seen as a constant favorite as I dig deeper. I am about halfway in MR and it is very good, and I love how Bond explains the average monotony of his job when he isn't on a mission. Some of the parts of the novel involving the workers and operation of The Moonraker itself remind me of Roald Dahl in prose. And that isn't a bad thing.

Well your quote was 'I'm pretty sure FRWL is regarded as closest' which sounds like the statement of someone whos speaking from a position of knowledge to me. Perhaps 'I've heard FRWL is closest' might have been a more accurate choice of words for the point you were trying to put across.

Anyway lets drop it - I think I leapt down your throat because people like DaltonCraig and 007RogerMoore had been winding me up all week with their proud ignorance of Fleming and then championing dross like DAF and TMWTGG as being closer to Fleming than CR.

Shame if youve seen the film of CR before you read the book as the torture scene doesnt coome as a shock. When I read it all those years ago it scared the shit out of me and consequently one of the biggest disappointments of the film torture scene was the 'scratching my balls' line which got a big laugh in the cinema and destroyed the scene for me.

I can see where youre coming from with Roald Dahl and I also agree that its no bad thing. When you think about it his YOLT screenplay should have been far more interesting than it was, although we dont know how much pressure was on him from above to deliver an epic. He would have been far more suited to adapt Dr Shatterhands castle of death and the dark, almost morose, revenge plot of the novel than turning out what is a fairly generic Bond plot.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited April 2012 Posts: 15,694
    I think I leapt down your throat because people like DaltonCraig and 007RogerMoore had been winding me up all week with their proud ignorance of Fleming and then championing dross like DAF and TMWTGG as being closer to Fleming than CR.

Sorry but contrary to 007RogerMoore, I have read the novels many times. I just have a different view on Fleming than you... no need to go ballistic because of that.
    Sorry but contrary to 007RogerMoore, I have read the novels many times. I just have a different view on Fleming than you... no need to go ballistic because of that.

Sorry DC - the ignorance barb should be aimed at 007RogerMoore and his clone then.
    The ailment you suffer from is just one of chronic misjudgement then, namely a curious and unshakeable admiration for two of the weakest entries in the series.

Sorry DC - the ignorance barb should be aimed at 007RogerMoore and his clone then.
    The ailment you suffer from is just one of chronic misjudgement then, namely a curious and unshakeable admiration for two of the weakest entries in the series.

Well, if DC007 is right about DAF and TMWTGG being Flemingescue, then I´m a Fleming fan.

• DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator

Well, if DC007 is right about DAF and TMWTGG being Flemingescue, then I´m a Fleming fan.

It will be difficult to defend this, if only because almost nothing in this entire film came from the novel...

DarthDimi wrote:

It will be difficult to defend this, if only because almost nothing in this entire film came from the novel...

If I remember correctly, Bond tries to kill M in the novel, or was that YOLT. Something about amnesia also...

Moore´s performance and the atmosphere of TMWTGG is pure Fleming, according to a source that I will not reveal here...It means that I am a Fleming fan!