"Dont blow it all at once ": Die Another Day Appreciation Thread

Comments

Graham Rye - editor of 007 Magazine described it as "dire...quasi science fiction badly executed and acted by everyone but Brosnan".
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    BAIN123 wrote:
    Murdock wrote:
    I feel like This is the Die Hard 4 of the Bond Series, something unique and full of fun.

Die Hard 4 was very, very, very surprisingly good, and stands up on its own two feet very well. And it's Bruce with a gun and things to save from danger abound. Instant success there. Hopefully Die Hard 5 doesn't muck it up.

The directors cut of DH4 is better ;)

What content is added on?
    Univex wrote:
    Murdock wrote:
    I feel like This is the Die Hard 4 of the Bond Series, something unique and full of fun.

Die Hard 4 was very, very, very surprisingly good, and stands up on its own two feet very well. And it's Bruce with a gun and things to save from danger abound. Instant success there. Hopefully Die Hard 5 doesn't muck it up.

Damn, lost it again. The common ground I mean.

If you comment in favor or negation of every one of my posts you will have some sore typing fingers.
    Rye is right many many times. Despite not being God like many think he is.
    BAIN123 wrote:
    Murdock wrote:

The directors cut of DH4 is better ;)

What content is added on?

A bit of actual violence and swearing ;)
    If you comment in favor or negation of every one of my posts you will have some sore typing fingers.

I know, it won´t last. No worries. Just yanking your chain.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    BAIN123 wrote:
    Grant wrote:
    It is a grand film. Great hangover fare on a rainy afternoon. Would take it over more recent dour offerings.

In that case I'd take OP, TB, GE, YOLT or even TND.

Regarding DAD as a reviewer said: "I suppose you can just turn off your brain accept the film's lack of logic...or physics...or wit...ignore the presence of awful performances, appauling dialogue, embarrassing special effects and just try to enjoy it as a colourful mess of images that are trying to goofingly entertain you but I can't"

There ARE actually some good scenes in DAD but its lost amongst the rubbish.

Allegedly the director also wanted to answer the infamous "code name" theory aswell.

I understand QoS wasn't a particularly great outing and I do sometimes feel DAD has more of an "escapist" value because of a few decent scenes but to say its better than CR is really pushing it.
    That was Kermode, wasn't it @BAIN123. I recall hearing it on one of his reviews and the grammar is so utterly Kermodian in nature.
    BAIN123 wrote:
    Grant wrote:
    It is a grand film. Great hangover fare on a rainy afternoon. Would take it over more recent dour offerings.

In that case I'd take OP, TB, GE, YOLT or even TND.

Regarding DAD as a reviewer said: "I suppose you can just turn off your brain accept the film's lack of logic...or physics...or wit...ignore the presence of awful performances, appauling dialogue, embarrassing special effects and just try to enjoy it as a colourful mess of images that are trying to goofingly entertain you but I can't"

There ARE actually some good scenes in DAD but its lost amongst the rubbish.

Allegedly the director also wanted to answer the infamous "code name" theory aswell.

I understand QoS wasn't a particularly great outing and I do sometimes feel DAD has more of an "escapist" value because of a few decent scenes but to say its better than CR is really pushing it.
    That was Kermode, wasn't it @BAIN123. I recall hearing it on one of his reviews and the grammar is so utterly Kermodian in nature.

No it was Haphazard.
    ^
    Another great reviewer! Cheers @BAIN123, and thanks for the reply. :)>-
    ^
    Another great reviewer! Cheers @BAIN123, and thanks for the reply. :)>-

Let me make it clear - I don't think DAD is completely terrible. There are a few good scenes in it like Cuba, the hotel scene, Brosnan, Pike etc. In fact when I watched it on TV recently I found myself (gulp) enjoying it - up until Iceland.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    I enjoy All of Die Another Day...the only thing I would add to make it even better?
    More Michael Madsen.
  • edited March 2012 Posts: 11,189
    Murdock wrote:
    I enjoy All of Die Another Day...the only thing I would add to make it even better?
    More Michael Madsen.

I don't mind Michael Madsen but he got the cheesiest line in that film

"I hope no one here is supersitious that's one big mirror we're about to break" (referring to Ikerus)
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited March 2012 Posts: 15,694
    @0Brady Die Hard 4 was very bad. I much prefer Die Hard 1, 3 and even 2... DH3 being my fav.
    BAIN123 wrote:
    Murdock wrote:
    More Michael Madsen.

"I hope no one here is supersitious that's one big mirror we're about to break" (referring to Ikerus)

Put that baby in the worst Bond quotes thread. It fixes to be right at home.
    BAIN123 wrote:
    Murdock wrote:
    More Michael Madsen.

Put that baby in the worst Bond quotes thread. It fixes to be right at home.

It arguably beats "Yo mamma" :))
    @0Brady Die Hard 4 was very bad. I much prefer Die Hard 1, 3 and even 2... DH3 being my fav.

Wow DC007 I assumed you'd love Die Hard 4. DH 1 is my number 1 favorite. :D
    I like DH 2 the most, followed by DH 1.

Incidently the bloke who directed DH2 turned down Goldeneye because Dalton was still attached to it at that point.

Make of that what you will.
    BAIN123 wrote:
    Incidently the bloke who directed DH2 turned down Goldeneye because Dalton was still attached to it at that point.

Make of that what you will.

Must have been a Moore fan? XD

I would wager Mission Impossible 2 is your favorite of the MI series.
    Die hard II is the best of the series, although the third in NYC pushes it quite close actually

I don't think Madsen should of been in DAD too being honest, his Damien Falco character was only featured briefly, but it was enough

and just to reiterate, anyone though thinks DAD is complete crap is being a bit harsh, it's not totally unsalvageable in that respect, it's just that the negatives far outweigh the finer points. But all said it deserves it's place in many peoples bottom three or five even, of the franchise

Opens the community page.
    See's "DAD is actually pretty good" thread with 60 unread.
    Clicks, scrolls through not reading one comment;
    makes this post.

My thoughts on this thread: :-<
    JWESTBROOK wrote:
    Opens the community page.
    See's "DAD is actually pretty good" thread with 60 unread.
    Clicks, scrolls through not reading one comment;
    makes this post.

My thoughts on this thread: :-<

Yes, and barely more than 40% is Bond related of those 60.
    :|
    ^
    "Oddly, my character's thoughts mirror my own".
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    60? it was 10 pages! Other then that, I can only concur whith what you just said.
    60? it was 10 pages! Other then that, I can only concur whith what you just said.

No, in the 3 hours of school I had, it went from where I was currently reading to 60 comments higher. Ridiculous!
    Murdock wrote:

Yeah, the first one is by far the best out of the trilogy I've seen. After that, the second, and then the third. I still haven't seen Live Free or Die Hard, but I want to soon.

And by the way @Murdock, your profile picture is epic!
    00Beast wrote:
    Murdock wrote:

Yeah, the first one is by far the best out of the trilogy I've seen. After that, the second, and then the third. I still haven't seen Live Free or Die Hard, but I want to soon.

And by the way @Murdock, your profile picture is epic!

That'll change when you see MI4. TRUST ME! ;)
    @0Brady: You didn't like MI4? I loved it!
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    00Beast wrote:
    @0Brady: You didn't like MI4?

And thus ended 00Beast's existence.....
    00Beast wrote:

No I loved it, my favorite MI film. I thought for some reason we were discussing the MI series, but now I see that you were discussing Die Hard. My apologies.
    00Beast wrote:

No, he liked it. (If I remember correctly)