"Dont blow it all at once ": Die Another Day Appreciation Thread

Comments

• 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    I like it. It's a good fit for Brosnan's era, and the Moore influence is there too.
    Just resurfaced this old thread again, don't think I ever put in my 2 cents about it! Haha. Anyway, I'd agree that DAD isn't all that people make it out to be. They rip it to shreds because it had some cheesy moments and lame characters, but I don't think it justifies throwing it under the bus. Brosnan is great in his fourth, the locations are eye-popping, the pacing is excellent, especially in moving from location to location, and the music is fairly enjoyable as well, if you ask me. Also, it really is exciting and action-packed! If you want a completely entertaining Bond movie, DAD doesn't fail completely in that endeavour. Now, if I sound like a hypocrite because of my rankings, it's just because I prefer some other Bonds to DAD. However, I do believe that DAD is under-rated for sure.
    Granted, it's not a total disaster, no Bond film is really, it's merely that it has so many irritating factors, from the abysmal Madonna (song) effort and silly cameo - 'I don't like cock fights', to the stupid surfing of waves sequence, It has the awful Berry character in it too, let's not forget - but has some redeeming qualities such as a fun teaser with the hovercrafts, surprise twist with Frost, sword fight with Stephens, (and I'm struggling now), but all told for all the advantages, the pitfalls are pretty steep too with this 2002 release. Brosnan should of finished on a high with TWINE, and not have parted company with the franchise on this back of this load of chicken litter. It's as far detached from Bond classics as you can imagine but there is some fun to be had here and there
    Granted, it's not a total disaster, no Bond film is really, it's merely that it has so many irritating factors, from the abysmal Madonna (song) effort and silly cameo - 'I don't like cock fights', to the stupid surfing of waves sequence, It has the awful Berry character in it too, let's not forget - but has some redeeming qualities such as a fun teaser with the hovercrafts, surprise twist with Frost, sword fight with Stephens, (and I'm struggling now), but all told for all the advantages, the pitfalls are pretty steep too with this 2002 release. Brosnan should of finished on a high with TWINE, and not have parted company with the franchise on this back of this load of chicken litter. It's as far detached from Bond classics as you can imagine but there is some fun to be had here and there

Yeah, it's like the old saying about the negatives out-weighing the positives, which is a shame, because there are equal amounts of both in my opinion.
    Can I say off topic I had a surprise when you declared you were about 15 years old recently

What I mean is, I was under the impression you were maybe 40 years old or something

No offense or anything :|
    Can I say off topic I had a surprise when you declared you were about 15 years old recently

What I mean is, I was under the impression you were maybe 40 years old or something

Hahaha, yeah I know, it must have been a shock! I experienced the same when AgentJamesBond007 told me that he was 15, and I expected him to be in his 40s as well! Anywaym I get that all the time. People always tell me that I seem a lot older in mannerisms and habits than other teenagers. I see that as a good thing though!
    Thought I'd offended you when you logged out a moment or two ago.. :-/

No, the bottom line is, sometimes it's hard to tell who is what and all that, ages can be like that, any participants can be a mystery sometimes, but you can usually ascertain a members age by the way they present themselves and how they go about their business on here etc. I do think you are very well spoken for someone so young though and that goes to some other members I may be aware of, of similar ages. (It's just that I'm that little bit older)

But MI6 is for everyone, doesn't matter if you're 12 or 85, the main thing is the ability to contribute and enjoy yourselves at the end of the day
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    00Beast wrote:

Hahaha, yeah I know, it must have been a shock! I experienced the same when AgentJamesBond007 told me that he was 15, and I expected him to be in his 40s as well! Anywaym I get that all the time. People always tell me that I seem a lot older in mannerisms and habits than other teenagers. I see that as a good thing though!

Same here. I read classic literature, talk and write an above average vocabulary, I love Sinatra and the great talents of the 50s and 60s, love old films with the likes of Marilyn Monroe, Cary Grant, Bogart, Hitchcock, I care about the current state of the US government, I hate cellphones and refuse to own one, pride myself in holding knowledge and sharing it with friends, despise social networking sites, I will never drink or smoke, and I am not a people person, and am only comfortable around the people I know. I too am not the average teenager, and damn proud of it. I wish I had a dollar for every time I have been called an "old soul".
    @0Brady: A teen? I never would have guessed! Haha, I guess that goes back to what we were talking about then! Haha, what age are you? I'm 16 for the record.
    00Beast wrote:
    @0Brady: A teen? I never would have guessed! Haha, I guess that goes back to what we were talking about then! Haha, what age are you? I'm 16 for the record.

18 and hating growing up. Being a senior is depressing as hell.
    A thread called "DAD is actually pretty good!"
    It's a little early for an April fools Joke.
    jolearon wrote:

I agree, it´s alot better than that.
    jolearon wrote:

Common. I like PB as Bond but DAD was pretty bad.
    BAIN123 wrote:
    jolearon wrote:

I like it more than Craig´s movies, Dalton´s movies, the other Brosnan movies and all of Connery´s movies, except YOLT. So no, I don´t think it´s bad.
    Its a piece of shit. And you know it.
  • edited March 2012 Posts: 11,189
    BAIN123 wrote:
    jolearon wrote:

I like it more than Craig´s movies, Dalton´s movies, the other Brosnan movies and all of Connery´s movies, except YOLT. So no, I don´t think it´s bad.

If you haven't already watch this analysis of DAD and see if your opinion changes:
    http://haphazardstuff.com/DieAnotherDay.html

Parts of the film are quite good I'll give you that but as a whole its lousy.
    The haphazardstuff-guy again? He disses my favorite movies, if I remember correctly.
    The haphazardstuff-guy again? He disses my favorite movies, if I remember correctly.

You're favourite Bond movies must be quite bad then ;)

There's quite a lot of stuff he says I don't agree with but you can't deny he knows his Bond.
    Ok, perhaps I will have a look. I saw the "My Weekly Bond" review of DAD, and he even started with "the piece of shit Pierce Brosnan James Bond movie, I mean the fourth Pierce Brosnan James Bond movie". But he didn´t change my mind.
    Ok, perhaps I will have a look. I saw the "My Weekly Bond" review of DAD, and he even started with "the piece of shit Pierce Brosnan James Bond movie, I mean the fourth Pierce Brosnan James Bond movie". But he didn´t change my mind.

He's a youngster and even he hated it ;)
    He´s a Brosnan lover and still hates it. GE and TWINE are in his top three and TND is also highly regarded.
    He´s a Brosnan lover and still hates it. GE and TWINE are in his top three and TND is also highly regarded.

Just because you like an actor doesn't mean they can't make a few bad films. Sean Connery is an example (cough*LXG*cough)
    BAIN123 wrote:

Just because you like an actor doesn't mean they can't make a few bad films. Sean Connery is an example (cough*LXG*cough)

Of course you are right. But the closest Connery got to a bad movie was FRWL, and I´d never say that it´s bad. But if he starred in CR67 (instead of Sellers) I would absolutely say that he is in a bad Bond movie.

BAIN123 wrote:

Of course you are right. But the closest Connery got to a bad movie was FRWL, and I´d never say that it´s bad. But if he starred in CR67 (instead of Sellers) I would absolutely say that he is in a bad Bond movie.

You've just lost all credibility :p

What about The (gulp) Avengers?
    I mean Bond movie. I haven´t seen more than perhaps 2 movies of him outside Bond.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited March 2012 Posts: 15,690
    actonsteve wrote:

That's just your opinion. I find DAD to be very good.

actonsteve wrote:

That's just your opinion. I find DAD to be very good.

Fair enough if you like DAD but please...justify this:

He doesn't even get his hair wet :)) :))
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    Every movie has faults. I didn't say DAD was perfect.
  • edited March 2012 Posts: 3,333
    The only good thing about DAD is that you know it can never get as bad as this ever again. So for that I'm glad this mess of a film exists, but just what the hell is this movie about anyway: blood diamonds, Bond leaking secrets to the Koreans, DNA manipulation, a killer satellite? The story just jumps all over the place and has no clear direction or cohesive plot.

I also disagree with those that say the first act is good. No it isn't. It all goes downhill when Bond intentionally stops his heart rate in the recovery room under the scrutiny of M in Hong Kong and at that point the film loses its own heartbeat. If this was meant as a nod to YOLT then it's a terrible reference.

And just when you thought the film couldn't get any worse up pops Hallie Berry, a CIA Agent using lines like "Yo Mama" making her not even qualified to pass the 3rd grade much less be a CIA Agent. The whole thing feels like it was aimed squarely at the US market where cartoonish computerised rubbish does good Box Office, which is exactly how DAD performed. This movie is still very popular across the Pond where fans will challenge other fans to a duel for maligning their unpolished turd of a movie. As for me, I never want to see this abomination ever again, that's how much I hate this Bond entry.

It's not big, it's not fun and it's not clever.
    It's a poor film, I was dissapointed when I saw it in the cinema and have liked it even less every time I have seen it since.

It's funny but this one has always seemed more daft than Moonraker, even though Bond ended up in space!