"Dont blow it all at once ": Die Another Day Appreciation Thread

Comments

• TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    DarthDimi wrote:
    Sorry but contrary to 007RogerMoore, I have read the novels many times. I just have a different view on Fleming than you... no need to go ballistic because of that.

Sorry DC - the ignorance barb should be aimed at 007RogerMoore and his clone then.
    The ailment you suffer from is just one of chronic misjudgement then, namely a curious and unshakeable admiration for two of the weakest entries in the series.

Well, if DC007 is right about DAF and TMWTGG being Flemingescue, then I´m a Fleming fan.

It will be difficult to defend this, if only because almost nothing in this entire film came from the novel...

Dont waste your breath Darth. Hes a psychopath.

http://screenmusings.org/AViewToAKill/pages/AVtaK_562.htm
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    DarthDimi wrote:
    It will be difficult to defend this, if only because almost nothing in this entire film came from the novel...

In terms of plot, yes, but in terms of atmosphere, TMWTGG is very Flemingesque. I can admit that FRWL and OHMSS are closer to Fleming in terms of plot...
    Murdock wrote:
    Indy 4 tarnished a franchise. I won't accept it. Same with DAD, which will always be a lesson of 'what not to do' for Bond films.

True but I wouldn't say I want another movie like Die Another Day but I enjoyed it.
    Indy 4 wasn't fun at all, It was cringworthy and had me rolling my eyes the whole time. Aliens + An Adventure Movie don't mix.

Why do so many people dislike KOTCS? I think it's great! The only bad part was the alien thing at the end, that's really it for me.
  • edited April 2012 Posts: 12,837
    00Beast wrote:
    Murdock wrote:
    Indy 4 tarnished a franchise. I won't accept it. Same with DAD, which will always be a lesson of 'what not to do' for Bond films.

True but I wouldn't say I want another movie like Die Another Day but I enjoyed it.
    Indy 4 wasn't fun at all, It was cringworthy and had me rolling my eyes the whole time. Aliens + An Adventure Movie don't mix.

Why do so many people dislike KOTCS? I think it's great! The only bad part was the alien thing at the end, that's really it for me.

The aliens AND Shia. Apart from that I think it's good. Not on the same level as the other 3, but good enough.
    @thelivingroyale: All right, I'll give you that. Mutt Williams was a pretty pathetic character, made even worse that he's Indy's son!
    I recently revisitsed Die Another Day, and I was blown away by my level of enjoyment I had for this great movie. Yes, I know, I'm about to be murdered, but hear me out first! DAD, for one, has Brosnan, so that's an automatic plus. After that, you've got incredible location work, kicking action sequences, a surprisingly impressive soundtrack from David Arnold, and a pace that never fails to deliver excitement and swift movement. Quite frankly, it's close to top ten material in my book. I forgot how much I really did enjoy DAD. I think I got caught up in all the negative comments it receives and thusly threw it under the bus, but now I've picked it up again! I can see where many fans dislike it with the cheesy dialogue and the corny characters like Jinx, Gustav, and Zao, but there's enough going on for its good that I can overlook them most of the time.
    I think everybody should watch DAD once again and drop their bias against it, just to see if there are any surprises in it. I like it and I think there are at least a few others who could enjoy it if the weren't biased.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    The soundtrack has way too much techno influence, but the orchestra driven pieces are rather strong and are just as good as Arnold's stuff from Tomorrow Never Dies or any of his stuff for Emmerich's movies.

Anyway, I enjoy Die Another Day. It's no way near anything as good as the series is capable of, but there are worse ways to spend two hours than watching it. Brosnan is good, the PTS is good, and I rather enjoy the instrumental version of the title song (Madonna's machine like performance ruins it in the movie). The Sword fight was fantastic (They should just let Vic Armstrong direct the entire movie(, the Cuba scenes were decent, Rosamund Pike is damn tasty, and of course, the ice chase is a guilty pleasure. It has the cool factor. The cinematography was also good in places.

Everything else leaves a lot to be desired, and there's only three people to blame. Purvis, Wade, and Tamahori. The first two are responsible for some of the worst dialogue ever ("Yo mamma") and the story isn't exactly original, while Tamahori focuses on CGI and flashy editing too much rather than basic story propulsion. A better director might also have gotten a better performance out of Halle Berry, who is.....well, we all know what she is.

It's a weaker Bond film, yeah, but as a general film, there's a lot worse out there. Two years later Tamahori came out with xXx 2, which makes DAD look like Citizen Kane. Ever since I saw xXx 2, I've looked back on DAD with a newfound enthusiasm.
    Ever since I saw QoS i enjoy DAD a shedload more.
    DAD definitely has it's moments. The sword fight its pretty cool, same with the car chase on ice, and the hovercrafts at the beginning. Any scene with Berry can be forgotten.

DAF is the worst Bond movie, in my opinion.
    I completely disagree that DAF is the worse Bond film. Even a tubby and weary Sean Connery is far better than anything served up in DUD, which is more of a companion piece to Austin Powers than 007... sacrilege! At least DAF had some originality compaired to the derivative fluff of DUD.

Also, the much maligned QoS will one day be looked upon as a watermark moment, whilst DUD will always be considered 133 minutes of unadulterated trash. Like I've said before, this movie should be erased from history... and anyone who defends it or likes it is a person of moderate to severe mental retardation. >:)
    bondsum wrote:
    I completely disagree that DAF is the worse Bond film. Even a tubby and weary Sean Connery is far better than anything served up in DUD, which is more of a companion piece to Austin Powers than 007... sacrilege! At least DAF had some originality compaired to the derivative fluff of DUD.

Also, the much maligned QoS will one day be looked upon as a watermark moment, whilst DUD will always be considered 133 minutes of unadulterated trash. Like I've said before, this movie should be erased from history... and anyone who defends it or likes it is a person of moderate to severe mental retardation. >:)

Well said!
  • Seconded! I never thought any Bond movie could be worse than MR, but DAD certainly manages to overtake it.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    bondsum wrote:

Let's not compare liking DAD to mental retardation. I hope you are more clever than that.
    bondsum wrote:

Let's not compare liking DAD to mental retardation. I hope you are more clever than that.

What would you rather watch @0Brady? Batman and Robin or DAD?
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    BAIN123 wrote:
    bondsum wrote:

What does that have to do with anything?
    BAIN123 wrote:
    bondsum wrote:

Well both could be linked to mental retardation and I know you're especially fond of Batman and Robin ;)
    I do agree that Die Another Day has its share of problems consisting of bad special effects and a corny plot with equally corny characters, but I for one rather do enjoy it most of the time. The action is exceptionally entertaining and Brosnan has lots to offer as 007 in his fourth outing. I also like the parts of the soundtrack by Arnold, which some might disagree with me on that, but I think it is a driving factor to many of the scenes in DAD.
  • It would be interesting to hear what Arnold would have done for the theme song, does anyone know if he had something written? Had to be better than what we got, which IMO was a theme song that was well suited for the horror about to unfold...
    It would be interesting to hear what Arnold would have done for the theme song, does anyone know if he had something written? Had to be better than what we got, which IMO was a theme song that was well suited for the horror about to unfold...

Yes, the lyrics are utter trash, but I find the tune quite catchy for some strange reason.
    00Beast wrote:
    It would be interesting to hear what Arnold would have done for the theme song, does anyone know if he had something written? Had to be better than what we got, which IMO was a theme song that was well suited for the horror about to unfold...

Yes, the lyrics are utter trash, but I find the tune quite catchy for some strange reason.

I must admit...I...do...too (shields himself from inevitable abuse)
    BAIN123 wrote:
    00Beast wrote:

Hahaha! Quick! Let's flee to the safe-house for those who partially enjoy the Die Another Day theme song!
    00Beast wrote:
    BAIN123 wrote:
    00Beast wrote:

Hahaha! Quick! Let's flee to the safe-house for those who partially enjoy the Die Another Day theme song!

I've got it on my ipod :(
    @BAIN123: Well that's a step further than I do, I still haven't gotten it yet. Of course, even then, I'd be trying to decide whether or not I'd want to, haha.
  • edited June 2012 Posts: 3,494
    00Beast wrote:
    BAIN123 wrote:
    00Beast wrote:

The good taste police have been duly notified. You've got 30 seconds to bolt.

James...move your ass!
    Vodka martini, plenty of ice.... if you can spare it!
    BAIN123 wrote:
    BAIN123 wrote:
    bondsum wrote:

Well both could be linked to mental retardation and I know you're especially fond of Batman and Robin ;)
    Both are rubbish films and Schumacher and Tamahori deserve to die slowly and painfully for them.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland

I believe he did write something, but it was never recorded as far as I know.

• MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Die Another Day is a getaway from the "Politically Correct." real life. I love Die Another Day because it's an escape from the Real World and into Bonds world. and Honestly, when I was 11 I wanted to wear Grave's robocop suit. :I
    Madge's song while not very good was far from being the worst aspect of DUD.