Jason Bourne (2002 - present)

Comments

• DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    The only Bourne entry I've seen in the theatre is 'Ultimatum'. And i have to agree with you, @bondjames, I felt like I had gotten punched in the face/stomach when walking out. At the time CR was the most recent Bond film, and I had a tough time deciding what was the best big-screen experience. CR was my first Bond on the big screen so it was a major plus beyond the fact it's a fantastic film, but that 'Bourne Ultimatum' was just flat-out ballsy action. When Bourne is jumping around Tangiers, entering buildings through windows, my heart was pumping at 300 beats per minute. Not to mention the Waterloo sequence, one of the most tense I can remember in the last decade (and it didn't feature any explosions!).
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited February 2016 Posts: 23,883
    I agree @DaltonCraig007. The action in Ultimatum is out of this world, as is the Waterloo sequence. Like you I really want to watch it again but I will hold off until closer to the release date.

Interestingly, I just watched QoS a couple of nights ago, and it really does borrow from Ultimatum in a couple of areas. Bond grabs something (I think it's a book) to fight Slate, similar to Bourne in all three films, and there is a shot where the camera follows him when he jumps onto the balcony in Siena that is very similar to Bourne flying through the window in Tangiers (sort of Go Pro style where you're jumping with him).

The part that was really great in QoS was Bond shooting his gun at Mitchell while in mid air.
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    As well as the CR title song shades of the GE trailer with the 'you know his name' thing so for once the 'Quantum of Bourne' wags can shut up.

At the end of the day I'm sure this will be fine. I don't expect it to be better than the first 3 but I do expect it to be way better than Legacy.

And the bottom line is I have more faith in Greengrass and Damon not to deliver a dud than I do EON for B25 which is a depressing thing to have to admit to.

RE: the title and the slogan, it seems like a reasonable thing to do given they've been away for almost a decade. Sort of a reintroduction to the character via the marketing. It's a smart move, although quite predictable. This time I'm glad to say Bond did it first (both in GE and in CR when introducing a new Bond) as you note Wiz.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited February 2016 Posts: 15,690
    I fondly remember the 2007-2008 years when Ultimatum, QOS and the first Taken were released. I saw all 3 of them on the big screen, and in terms of badass intense action movies, it took several years to witness another movie pack a punch like them. IMO, 'John Wick', 'Mission Impossible Rogue Nation' and 'Mad Max Fury Road' are the 3 movies since 2008 (8 years ago now, how time flies) that felt like this 'punch in the gut' you've mentioned.
    IMO, 'John Wick', 'Mission Impossible Rogue Nation' and 'Mad Max Fury Road' are the 3 movies since 2008 (8 years ago now, how time flies) that felt like this 'punch in the gut' you've mentioned.
    Totally agree on the last two. I haven't seen John Wick yet, on account of my general dislike for anything Keannu, but I've heard so much good things from everyone that I'm going to have to take a chance on it.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    Him being David Webb is irrelevant. He came up with and created the name Jason Bourne, therefore, that's exactly who he is. This isn't another origin or some flimsy reboot; this is the true Bourne Legacy in all its glory and it's going to be felt first hand for the events of this film. Prepare yourselves.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    bondjames wrote: »
    IMO, 'John Wick', 'Mission Impossible Rogue Nation' and 'Mad Max Fury Road' are the 3 movies since 2008 (8 years ago now, how time flies) that felt like this 'punch in the gut' you've mentioned.
    Totally agree on the last two. I haven't seen John Wick yet, on account of my general dislike for anything Keannu, but I've heard so much good things from everyone that I'm going to have to take a chance on it.

Do it. It's superb. Wouldn't be a big fan of Keanu either, but he was a force of nature in Wick.

You can always tell when actors have studied the fine details of how an assassin/killer would move (a great example being Tom Cruise in Collateral). Reeves really put in a lot of work with that film. Didn't doubt him for a second.
    @bondjames watch 'Collateral' and 'John Wick' as a double feature, as @CraigMooreOHMSS said both Cruise and Reeves act like true assassins. And the 2 films feature a nightclub shootout that put to shame most Hollywood action films.
    @bondjames watch 'Collateral' and 'John Wick' as a double feature, as @CraigMooreOHMSS said both Cruise and Reeves act like true assassins. And the 2 films feature a nightclub shootout that put to shame most Hollywood action films.

I second this.

It's somewhat comical that Damon and Greengrass go to lengths to criticize Bond and complain about how awful the franchise is and all of that, yet they go out of their way to blatantly rip Bond off with that "You Know His Name" poster.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    dalton wrote: »
    It's somewhat comical that Damon and Greengrass go to lengths to criticize Bond and complain about how awful the franchise is and all of that, yet they go out of their way to blatantly rip Bond off with that "You Know His Name" poster.
    Not to mention a little inspiration from Rambo III, Sherlock Holmes and a touch of The Fast and Furious franchise. ;)

It looked like they were out to check all the trope boxes, only they were James Bond boxes, not Bourne boxes. Or maybe Fast and Furious boxes. The first 3 Bourne films were mostly great, stripped down, very tense thrillers. This trailer is Bourne as big action, big muscle guy. The title is meh, just pure marketing. Make sure that everyone knows this is about Jason Bourne, not the critical and financial Legacy dud. But Bourne has his memory back, so they no longer have the great key plot device of the first three films. So now they need a new plot angle and Damon has stated that the plot mines the Snowden issue, which SP and others have already done. The Spy film landscape has expanded greatly since Damon's last Bourne came out. The trailer looks to be following, not leading the spy film pack. Greenglass is a great director, but this trailer was disappointing.
    smitty wrote: »

It looked like they were out to check all the trope boxes, only they were James Bond boxes, not Bourne boxes. Or maybe Fast and Furious boxes. The first 3 Bourne films were mostly great, stripped down, very tense thrillers. This trailer is Bourne as big action, big muscle guy. The title is meh, just pure marketing. Make sure that everyone knows this is about Jason Bourne, not the critical and financial Legacy dud. But Bourne has his memory back, so they no longer have the great key plot device of the first three films. So now they need a new plot angle and Damon has stated that the plot mines the Snowden issue, which SP and others have already done. The Spy film landscape has expanded greatly since Damon's last Bourne came out. The trailer looks to be following, not leading the spy film pack. Greenglass is a great director, but this trailer was disappointing.

This was a trailer for the SB. You're not going to get a trailer full of substance. These spots are all about action and style. Also, big muscle guy? Damon? Not sure what shape you're in to think he's big but Damon isn't big. He's definitely cut though. Also, you missed a pivotal piece of dialogue that legitimises Bourne's story moving forward, expounding from the amnesia plot of the first 3 films, "Just because you remember everything it doesn't mean you know everything". This trailer successfully did what it was meant to do and given the track record of Damon and Greengrass when it comes to making a Bourne film, I have more faith in them to deliver, as they always have, much more so than what ever promo stunt EoN sign off on.
  • edited February 2016 Posts: 725
    My comment about Damon being a big muscle guy was meant sarcastically. Damon is shorter than Craig and very sensitive about his height. Lucky for him, he never catches any s... for being short. His recent comments about blacks and gays in film made him sound like he had developed cotton for brains, so I'm just not anywhere near as ecstatic about what we may be getting since he's a co-writer on the script. Yes, he "won" an Oscar 20 some years ago for supposingly co-writing, but the only thing he has written since then, his fracking film from 2-3 years ago was a flop.

EON just churned out their 24th film. Let's see how well Damon and co. do with just their 4th. Legacy doesn't count. My main point was that they have a very high bar to meet and I wasn't impressed with the trailer, or the film title. Damon's repeated trashing of Bond in the press after CR came out turned me off. It was petty and he looked defensive and small. If the new Bourne turns out well, I'll chalk it up to the very talented Greengrass.
  • edited February 2016 Posts: 4,600
    Have we not learned from Spectre that there is little relationship between the trailer and the movie?
    The point re legacy is interesting, (similar points were made re MI), my kids are just as "pumped" for the next Bourne as Bond. Its a tribute to the team (and of course the first movie that provides the foundation) that Bourne has become such a popular franchise so quickly. Imagine the fun and excitement we would have been denied if the first one was a stinker.
    patb wrote: »
    Have we not learned from Spectre that there is little relationship between the trailer and the movie?
    The point re legacy is interesting, (similar points were made re MI), my kids are just as "pumped" for the next Bourne as Bond. Its a tribute to the team (and of course the first movie that provides the foundation) that Bourne has become such a popular franchise so quickly. Imagine the fun and excitement we would have been denied if the first one was a stinker.
    I agree - wouldn't worry so much about the trailer. It's there purely to build awareness and let everyone know a new 'Jason' Bourne film is out with Damon, whose star appears to be on the rise again after the brilliant The Martian. Let's wait and see what they deliver. I'm hoping for the best.

Well that packs a punch! :-bd
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    I hope it will be good but that trailer was pretty meh!
    That last shot of Bourne knocking out that victim with a single punch was a metaphoric message to all the other spy films and franchises out there. Jason Bourne is back and again he's going to show how it's done.
    Or could be an homage to when Bond knocked out that victim in a single kick in Man With The Golden Gun. Bond is always showing how it's done. That's why everyone want's a piece of his action. Nobody does it better. ;)
  • RC7RC7
    doubleoego wrote: »
    That last shot of Bourne knocking out that victim with a single punch was a metaphoric message to all the other spy films and franchises out there. Jason Bourne is back and again he's going to show how it's done.

Meh. Van Damme would put him on his arse.
    edited February 2016 Posts: 11,139
    Bourne paying homage to Roger Moore! :)) good one! Bond used to lead the pack and show how it's done but the series imo has lost its way...adrift.
  • RC7RC7
    Bourne paying homage to Roger Moore! :)) good one! Bond used to lead the pack and show how it's done but the series imo has lost its way...adrift.

Swings and roundabouts. In 2012 Bourne was roundly trounced, hence their backtracking.
    You should change your occultist. Bond is back in the game and stomped the competition into the dirt once again.
    There is only one Bourne, and it's not Aaron Cross I can assure you.

I'm not sure if this film will move the goalpost like its predecessors did, but the opportunity certainly exists for them to do so. MI-RN proved that for me quite clearly last year (I noticed it when watching QoS recently, which seemed almost leisurely and average paced now in comparison).

I hope they innovate rather than hold to the past. Damon and Greengrass's return on condition that they had something useful to say gives me hope.
  • RC7RC7

I'm not sure if this film will move the goalpost like its predecessors did, but the opportunity certainly exists for them to do so. MI-RN proved that for me quite clearly last year (I noticed it when watching QoS recently, which seemed almost leisurely and average paced now in comparison).

I hope they innovate rather than hold to the past. Damon and Greengrass's return on condition that they had something useful to say gives me hope.

The Bourne films made a massive impact. I can't see how anyone could deny that. I'm not buying the whole RN thing, though. It's a lot of fuss about nothing. It does nothing new. Bourne was a genuine game-changer. RN was just A. N. Other decent flick. Bored of hearing it.
    RC7 wrote: »

The Bourne films made a massive impact. I can't see how anyone could deny that. I'm not buying the whole RN thing, though. It's a lot of fuss about nothing. It does nothing new. Bourne was a genuine game-changer. RN was just A. N. Other decent flick. Bored of hearing it.
    I'm sure, but that's the way it is as far as I'm concerned, and others as well (hence the boredom perhaps). High octane, innovatively filmed and paced, and thoroughly engaging. If we can get anything half as good from Bourne then I'll be a happy man this year.
  • RC7RC7

I'm sure, but that's the way it is as far as I'm concerned, and others as well (hence the boredom perhaps). High octane, innovatively filmed and paced, and thoroughly engaging. If we can get anything half as good from Bourne then I'll be a happy man this year.

Innovatively filmed and paced. You're literally just making stuff up. It's nothing off the sort. It's merely well paced and shot, there's no innovation in sight. It does nothing new. Bourne brought an aesthetic to the genre that redefined it.

Innovatively filmed and paced. You're literally just making stuff up. It's nothing off the sort. It's merely well paced and shot, there's no innovation in sight. It does nothing new. Bourne brought an aesthetic to the genre that redefined it.
    No, I'm not just literally making stuff up. You may choose to feel that way, and that's your prerogative of course.

Bourne brought grittiness and shaky cam. It moved the benchmark forward in that respect.

MI-RN blended glamour with grittiness in a way I have not seen before. It was classy and had scale, but it was gritty as well, in combination with having superb pacing and a little glamour. That is a combination I have not seen executed so well before with that torrid pace (GP was far slower), and that, as far as I'm concerned, moved the benchmark.

Bourne seems to be bringing a little more glitter to the table as well, in combination with its trademark grittiness, but the trailer is a little too short to determine for sure.