Jason Bourne (2002 - present)

Comments

IMHO, Renner was too like Bourne and having Bourne in the title was a big mistake plus knowing/thinking that the real Bourne would return made Renner look like a pale substitute. We also know that the Clive Owen character was English so perhaps Treadstone recruited globally or from allies? They need to finish the Bourne series and then link to Treadstone via other characters (Joan Allen for example?), its got legs!
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    RC7 wrote: »
    The way I see it is that when Supremacy landed it was embarrassing for EON. It totally reinvigorated the genre and made Bond suddenly look like old Uncle Knobhead. With RN it's a totally different scenario. No one is saying it's a bad film, far from it, but it isn't a defining moment in the trajectory of this type of cinema. There's a school that prefers what MI are doing an another Bond. That's why I'm bored of people holding it up as a 'game-changer', because, quite simply, it isn't.

A lot of good points made by all but this nails it for me.

RN is a decent film but it's not amazing. Yes it is probably the current market leader in terms of action but that's not because it's doing anything gobsmsckingly incredible. It's just pretty good and that's all you need to be to trump Bond set pieces these days.

Let's not confuse Bond action being sub standard with RN being the new Raiders.

MI is Arsenal - happily chugging along doing the same thing season in season out.

The only reason they are in with a shot at the title this year is the teams around them are all shite not because they have upped their game particularly. Apart from MI2 which is awful, the MI films have all been around a 7 or 8 out of 10.
    Very solid but films but nothing truly outstanding.

I think the bottom line here, and the one thing we can all agree on, is that EON really needs to up its game when it comes to action because the last Bond set piece that really blew me away was the CR parkour 10 years and 4 films ago.

• bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited February 2016 Posts: 23,883
    I think the bottom line here, and the one thing we can all agree on, is that EON really needs to up its game when it comes to action because the last Bond set piece that really blew me away was the CR parkour 10 years and 4 films ago.
    This.

Otherwise, cede the space and focus on lower key thriller suspense, like SF (the China elevator and skyscraper fight for instance) or CR (the staircase fight for instance) which don't need big set pieces. Please just don't give us any substandard scenes like the plane sequence or ridiculous finale in the latest effort. It's damn near embarrassing given what has come before.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    LJones41 wrote: »
    "True but Legacy was garbage and I don't consider that a "Bourne" film as Bourne himself wasn't in it. "

I consider "THE BOURNE LEGACY" a Bourne film. It's my second favorite movie in the franchise, after "THE BOURNE SUPREMACY".

Now, I like all four films. But the one that is the worst in my eyes was "THE BOURNE ULTIMATUM". It had too many plot holes. And I could tell that Greengrass had started filming before the script was finished.

Irrespective of being true or false about BU filming before a complete script, it still turned out to be a better film than the last 3 Bond movies and is nowhere near as poorly conceived in the same way that QoS was slapped together.

I thought Legacy was absolute trash; talk about a complete misrepresentation of the Bourne brand. All that excellent work of the 3 precedeeing films sunk with a weak ass vision and an even weaker execution. Imagine going to see a film produced by EoN with a Bond-centric title only for the film to be about the adventures of some random 00 or standard intelligence agent or if we got a film about 009 cruising down the streets of country x in foreign city complete with his rather unfortunate taste in music. Perish the thought.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Bourne again? Boring.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    I'm going to give Bourne Legacy a watch (as well as all the others) before seeing this, so I'll see if my opinion has changed on it. Went to the theater to see it, don't remember being initially in love with it, and have caught it once or twice rather casually when it pops up on the tube.

I wouldn't say it's a disaster of a film, but when you compare it to what came before, it's easily the last of the pack. Cross's character doesn't help either. I've said this many times when poking and prodding at this movie, but he's just not interesting in any way. Everything that is great about him are skills he got from popping pills. Bourne learned all his abilities through extensive training. It's the equivalent of Captain America vs. Batman. The serum stimulated soldier vs. the all natural combatant. It's easy to see why Bourne is far more interesting. You can feel the history in his every punch and kick, but with Cross you know that none of what he does has any connection to a dangerous past that shaped and hardened him. He just went to the doctor, swallowed some pills and was ready to go. Snore.
    Imagine a movie about 009 but having Bond in the title. It really is that silly.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    007 in New York, New York. Starring 009. :))
    patb wrote: »
    Imagine a movie about 009 but having Bond in the title. It really is that silly.
    See I take issue with this because in all honesty the title does work for the film and works for the fact that it's not about Jason Bourne but really about his legacy. the legacy of what he started now if the film had been a success and the next one was title Bourne Betrayel but still just about Cross then it would be sill (I figured the next film could be titled the Cross Connection and move on from there) like I said the title makes sense and the film is really good and the only Bourne film I own (so far anyways)

• edited February 2016 Posts: 4,600
    The audience are not that clever/thoughtful IMHO, if you put Bourne in the title, then the audience (even at subliminal level) think the movie is about Bourne,
    something like "The Treadstone Legacy" would have been better in that it showed that the focus was wider than Bourne but there was a connection. It also shows a lack of confidence and ambition for the series to move out into its own domain rather than focus on one character (and by inference , one actor)
    If you had a movie called "The James Bond Legacy" , is the movie about Bond or about his legacy? Most punters would have an expectation that Bond is in the movie.
    edited February 2016 Posts: 23,883
    Cross's character doesn't help either. I've said this many times when poking and prodding at this movie, but he's just not interesting in any way. Everything that is great about him are skills he got from popping pills. Bourne learned all his abilities through extensive training. It's the equivalent of Captain America vs. Batman. The serum stimulated soldier vs. the all natural combatant. It's easy to see why Bourne is far more interesting. You can feel the history in his every punch and kick, but with Cross you know that none of what he does has any connection to a dangerous past that shaped and hardened him. He just went to the doctor, swallowed some pills and was ready to go. Snore.
    It's been a while since I've watched it, but my view on the film is the same as yours. It's not a disaster certainly, but it pales in comparison to what came before.

I think you've hit the nail on the head in terms of what fails. I remember that when I first saw it now (thanks to your mentioning it). I had less interest in the character because of all this 'pill popping'. It was almost like Universal Soldier. There's no doubt that I find Batman a more interesting character than Superman (I always have) and that's because he is all natural human so to speak, rather than enhanced alien. I'm surprised the writers/producers didn't realize the impact this could have, what with drug bans in athletics etc.

There's something very compelling about a man who's naturally trained to become the ultimate killing machine that is Jason Bourne. Using Bourne in the Bourne Legacy title didn't help either, as others have said. False marketing and smelled of cashing in so to speak.
    patb wrote: »
    The audience are not that clever/thoughtful IMHO, if you put Bourne in the title, then the audience (even at subliminal level) think the movie is about Bourne,
    something like "The Treadstone Legacy" would have been better in that it showed that the focus was wider than Bourne but there was a connection. It also shows a lack of confidence and ambition for the series to move out into its own domain rather than focus on one character (and by inference , one actor)
    If you had a movie called "The James Bond Legacy" , is the movie about Bond or about his legacy? Most punters would have an expectation that Bond is in the movie.
    I'd have more faith in audiences but then no one bothered to look up Quantum or Solace in 2008 or listen to Michael G Wilson's explanation for the title that he gave in EVERY SINGLE INTERVIEW/PRESS CONFRENCE .... so yes the idea behind the title is good but sadly I will agree that audiences probably wont figure it out
    I'm really curious to see if Bourne is going to do his trademark 'contemplative WTF look in the mirror' after a violent encounter. Given that Bond has used this trope in three consecutive films now (CR/QoS/SF), it could have less impact. I'd like to see it though, as I always like that part.
    I love those, "oh my God, that's Jason Bourne" moments or those scenes where Bourne gets the drop on the CIA and let's them know he's literally watching them. Ah screw it I'm having a Bourne marathon this weekend.
    Yes, I think Bourne on screen 1 tonight
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    The new trailer has apparently been shown at CinemaCon. When can we see Matt Damon kicking ass?
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Soon, hopefully, along with that awesome sounding trailer for the new 'Jack Reacher.' I can't wait for a new 'Jason Bourne' trailer.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited April 2016 Posts: 15,690
    I god damn know that when the full trailer for 'Jason Bourne' is released, me, @Creasy47, @doubleoego will binge-watch the original trilogy right after finishing the trailer.

Actually, I'll probably rewatch the trilogy while waiting for the trailer, only to watch them again due to the probable epicness of the new trailer.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    I know how the trailer ends. Jason looks to the camera (possibly talking to Julia Stiles) and says, "Some are born to live and die. I was just Bourne." *cue Bourne theme*
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    I know how the trailer ends. Jason looks to the camera (possibly talking to Julia Stiles) and says, "Some are born to live and die. I was just Bourne." *cue Bourne theme*
    Love it.
    I god damn know that when the full trailer for 'Jason Bourne' is released, me, @Creasy47, @doubleoego will binge-watch the original trilogy right after finishing the trailer.

Actually, I'll probably rewatch the trilogy while waiting for the trailer, only to watch them again due to the probable epicness of the new trailer.

This man is 100% correct. I need to get around to buying the blu-ray set of these movies; I used to own them individually, but 'Supremacy' was a little messed up and there was a huge section of the chase sequence in 'Ultimatum' (the one before Bourne and Desh fight) that would skip or cut out entirely, so I have to re-buy a new version of them.
    Creasy47 wrote: »

This man is 100% correct. I need to get around to buying the blu-ray set of these movies; I used to own them individually, but 'Supremacy' was a little messed up and there was a huge section of the chase sequence in 'Ultimatum' (the one before Bourne and Desh fight) that would skip or cut out entirely, so I have to re-buy a new version of them.
    I can't wait to get to these myself (I have the entire collection on blu ray as well as an old dvd copy of the Richard Chamberlain tv version from the 80's with Jacklyn Smith) but will try to hold on until just before the film's release.

Oh heck....to hell with it. I'm going to watch the tv version tonight. It's suitably different yet entertaining in its own right. More similar to the book.

Ha! I swear, just last night I watched Supremacy. That scene where Bourne takes out that CIA agent and security guy whilst detained in a room at the airport gets me every time.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    @doubleoego the scene that gets me every time in that movie is Bourne calmly walking in the store with a bullet-wound in the chest, grabbing a bottle of vodka, destroying the police guys outside, and then driving like a boss around Moscow in a taxi. I've seen that movie 100 times, if not more, and that Moscow chase sequence still makes by heart beat 10 times faster.
    Yeah Bourne wasn't playing around in Moscow. I love when he tried to steal a taxi and he takes out those Russian cops and the group of taxi drivers standing around all back off....honestly, Cap 3 civil war and this new Bourne film are my most anticipated films of the year by far.
    I admit I'm a little concerned about this film. They have a lot to live up to, and while I'm hopeful, I'm also worried about how I'll see this film so many years on from the originals. I'm hoping they give us an intriguing (and different enough) plot to make it memorable, because if I'm being honest, I think it peaked with Supremacy. I found Ultimatum a little derivative in instances, although the Waterloo station scene was incredible.
    bondjames wrote: »
    I admit I'm a little concerned about this film. They have a lot to live up to, and while I'm hopeful, I'm also worried about how I'll see this film so many years on from the originals. I'm hoping they give us an intriguing (and different enough) plot to make it memorable, because if I'm being honest, I think it peaked with Supremacy. I found Ultimatum a little derivative in instances, although the Waterloo station scene was incredible.
    As far as stories go, Supremacy and Ultimatum both weren´t that supreme. At all, I wouldn´t speak of peaking so far in that series. There´s quite some headspace.

• LeonardPineLeonardPine The Bar on the Beach
    Looking forward to the new Bourne as Paul Greengrass is once again directing.

Not only is he an intelligent filmmaker I think he's one of the best action directors around.

Wish he'd directed a Bond film but he's too much of a left winger to want to do it. Shame.
    As long as shakey cam is out, I'm in.
    jake24 wrote: »
    As long as shakey cam is out, I'm in.

I doubt it. I'm sure it'll be given the same feel as the last three. I could be dead wrong, of course.