Jason Bourne (2002 - present)

Comments

timmer wrote: »
    dragonsky wrote: »
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    doubleoego wrote: »
    Yep. Exciting and visceral fights and a real thriller vibe to the story. Damon's Bourne movies have so far been a sure bet for excellent and engaging entertainment.

This is verbatim why I'm very excited to see this new one, as well. However, now that it's been shooting for a while, is it still being titled 'Bourne 5,' or will it get some type of surname following it like its predecessors?

@Creasy47, rest assured, I think we'll get a movie entitled The Bourne (something) when all is said and done. They've used all of Ludlum's titles now, as he did three novels with Bourne, but the continuation novels by Eric Van Lustbader may be used, as they already borrowed Legacy for Jeremy Renner's film.

Here's all the titles of the Lustbader novels:

The Bourne Legacy (2004)
    The Bourne Betrayal (2007)
    The Bourne Sanction (2008)
    The Bourne Deception (2009)
    The Bourne Objective (2010)
    The Bourne Dominion (2011)
    The Bourne Imperative (2012)
    The Bourne Retribution (2013)
    The Bourne Ascendancy (2014)
    The Bourne Enigma (TBA)

Not a fan of any of them really, but if I had to choose I'd go with "Enigma." I hope the team do an original title.

Are the Ludlum's books good? He has 3 books with Bourne or ?

l love all of Ludlums thrillers . The first Ludlum that I ever read was Bourne Identity. I loved it. I couldn't put it down . Personally I think Damon really sucks as Bourne and I think the movies are terrible compared to the original Ludlum thrillers, but the Damon films are barely based on the books anyway.
    Only Identity bares much resemblance to the Ludlum original thrillers. The other two, forget about it.
    Richard Chamberlain was much better cast as Bourne in the TV mini-series I think
    Chamberlain looks pretty much exactly as Ludlum described Bourne.
    The Damon films work as as a good standalone action series, but that's about it I think.

What I loved about Ludlum's books is that Bourne is so lethal, never mind the mystery surrounding his origins and purpose. More lethal than Bond, but that's because he was created as super operative.
    The Bourne Identity is created as world's most lethal operative. He's expert in all tradecraft, weaponry, fighting etc. He has no equal other than the nemesis that he was created to destroy.
    It's an awesome trilogy. It would be great to have a proper '80s period treatment of the story.

I've read all of the continuation novels. They are readable, if not sloggish sometimes, but they aren't really a proper continuation.
    And the author seems to forget how truly deadly and unbeatable the Bourne Identity was as originally presented by Ludlum.
    Continuation Bourne is too vulnerable at times.
    But IMO Bourne doesn't really make sense outside the original Ludlum context.
    Authentic Bourne IMO is the three original Ludlum books and not much else other than the excellent TV mini-series.

The continuation books are more of a relaunch of the character in a whole new setting.
    Ludlum brought the original trilogy to a very satisfying conclusion. There was really nothing to continue.

The Chemberlain movies are those 2 part made for TV movies right?

If yes, I really liked and enjoyed it. It was a nice movie and I think I may have liked it more than the Damon ones.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    @dragonsky, yes, the Ludlum Bourne book titles match the films, and follow the same order.
    So the film this summer is it the Bourne betrayal or no
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    @Risico007, as far as I know, nothing concrete about the plot is known other than the few small snippets we already have. We haven't even heard a title yet, strangely.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    The trailer for this is going to be off the chain.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited January 2016 Posts: 23,883
    dragonsky wrote: »
    The Chemberlain movies are those 2 part made for TV movies right?

If yes, I really liked and enjoyed it. It was a nice movie and I think I may have liked it more than the Damon ones.
    I read the first book ages ago (I can't really remember it much). The Chamberlain tv movie is much closer to the book as I recall it. I have it on dvd, and enjoy watching it, but I don't find Chamberlain all that credible as a govt. assassin. Damon is much more lethal (and it's not just the production quality, but the energy and credibility he brings to it on film). I'd liken it to Brosnan vs. Craig.

I think as with most things, the films are best assessed separately from the books. The Damon films are very gritty and credible imho despite being quite different.

On a side note, that photo of Damon on the previous page in character as Bourne is the business. This film will deliver quite surely.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited January 2016 Posts: 15,690
    I hope 'John Wick 2' comes out at the end of this year (they are in the middle of filming I believe), meaning we will be pumped up for another badass action film once 'Bourne 5' comes out in July.

2017 is busy too, with 'Kingsman 2 in June, 'Mission Impossible 6' in the summer and 'Equalizer 2' in September.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    There's definitely a difference between shaky/handheld cam and editing that makes a scene completely and utterly impossible to break down. I don't believe I ever had a problem with the 'Bourne' shaky-cam, but there are movies such as 'Taken 2' or 'Elysium' that have such poor editing, it's really tough to make out what exactly is going on. I don't see this new Bourne having an issue with that, either, thankfully.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    edited January 2016 Posts: 10,588
    There's definitely a difference between shaky/handheld cam and editing that makes a scene completely and utterly impossible to break down. I don't believe I ever had a problem with the 'Bourne' shaky-cam, but there are movies such as 'Taken 2' or 'Elysium' that have such poor editing, it's really tough to make out what exactly is going on. I don't see this new Bourne having an issue with that, either, thankfully.
    Agreed. I do enjoy handheld the most when it's used more cleverly, such as to convey a certain mood. Similar to how Deakens used handheld during the exchange between Bond and M in her flat to showcase their "rocky" relationship.

I consider Bourne "free-cam" rather than shaky. It's free to follow the action and characters without becoming a character itself, unlike Shaky Cam often tries to do.
    I can't wait to get those staple badass Bourne moments. That scene in Supremacy where Bourne is detained at the airport office and keeps silent the whole time and then completely decimated the 2 guys in the room must have been watched, rewound and watched all over again for at least 20 minutes straight.
    @doubleoego, that fight between Bourne and Desh is perfection in that movie, too. Watching Bourne use a book as a weapon made me so happy.
    That was Ultimatum but yeah, Bourne vs Desk was a gorgeously beautiful fight. Bourne laying the smackdown with a book was a stand out moment.
    Of course, I misread your post and got to thinking about 'Ultimatum,' apologies.

One of my favorite scenes in 'Supremacy' is probably the car chase. 'Identity' has a real thrilling car chase, too.
    doubleoego wrote: »
    I can't wait to get those staple badass Bourne moments. That scene in Supremacy where Bourne is detained at the airport office and keeps silent the whole time and then completely decimated the 2 guys in the room must have been watched, rewound and watched all over again for at least 20 minutes straight.

What's funny, @doubleoego, is that in that scene Matt actually knocked the interrogator out cold in the shot they used.

I'm excited to see the trademark, ballet-like fights of the Bourne series continue in #5 as well.
    Haha for real? Awesome. Getting knocked out shows dedication to the craft haha but honestly, what I like about the fights is that they're an event within the movie and they're just so sublime to watch. They're balletic and bone crunching and really elevate the lethal factor of Bourne that gives me goose bumps.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    @doubleoego I think someone who may rival Bourne's badassery this year is Black Panther in 'Civil War' (judging from the trailer).
    Well, I'm a HUGE BP fan and his combat skills utterly decimate Bourne's but fiction and interpretation means sometimes you just don't know what you're going to get but I trust the Russo bros to convey BP in all his badass glory. So far, T'Challa is looking good and when it's the winter soldier that's on the run, it's for a very good and dangerous reason. BP is that reason. On another note, I'm over the moon the director of Creed will be directing the BP solo movie.
    I is excite!

The first trailer for 'Bourne 5' will debut alongside 'Super Bowl 50':

http://www.slashfilm.com/bourne-5-trailer-super-bowl/
    I is excite!

The first trailer for 'Bourne 5' will debut alongside 'Super Bowl 50':

http://www.slashfilm.com/bourne-5-trailer-super-bowl/
    When is Super Bowl 50?
    I wonder if van Lustbader dropping the news means they adapted from his material?

• bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    I'm totally stoked for this!

Take it away Matt....
    This film is going to be spectacular.
    This film is going to be spectacular.
    do we even have a title yet?
    Risico007 wrote: »

The working title is 'Bourne 5,' they've released nothing official yet.
    I've been trying desperately to get in contact with the PR for this film, and they aren't having it.

Unfortunately the connection I had during SPECTRE isn't working on Bourne with Gary Powell, and the contacts they gave me aren't replying.

If anybody has a contact, I would surely appreciate it. It's mainly for work (www.jalopnik.com) but if I found anything out that I can share here, I will.
  • edited January 2016 Posts: 9,773
    Risico007 wrote: »

The working title is 'Bourne 5,' they've released nothing official yet.
    Apparently the title see be announced with the teaser trailer febuary 7th because that isn't pretentious at all... Sigh
    JWESTBROOK wrote: »
    I've been trying desperately to get in contact with the PR for this film, and they aren't having it.

Unfortunately the connection I had during SPECTRE isn't working on Bourne with Gary Powell, and the contacts they gave me aren't replying.

If anybody has a contact, I would surely appreciate it. It's mainly for work (www.jalopnik.com) but if I found anything out that I can share here, I will.

Funny how Bourne can manage to keep secrets and a bigger machine with all its posturing like Bond can't.
    The film is officially titled 'Jason Bourne.' Looks amazing.
    Looks actually good but the title is so lame