Jason Bourne (2002 - present)

Comments

it was Bourne that steered EON to the garbage that is QOS.

Bah! QOS is sublime, well in my perverted universe anyway!

I do think Bourne had to happen in order to bring Bond back down to earth somewhat but I agree that Bond needs to be allowed to be Bond.

The drubbing that SP has had in some quarters for having the audacity to be a Bond film first and foremost is a tad worrying.

I enjoy the Bourne films for being fast paced thrillers but I don't get so enthused about endless CIA conspiracy theory plots so I hope Bourne 5 gives us something a little different this time.
    This has probably already been shared but this freudian 'James Boure' slip from Matt Damon says it all about who remains the daddy of the spy franchises...

• jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    I died of laughter when I saw that. Very embarrassing on his part.
    jake24 wrote: »
    I died of laughter when I saw that. Very embarrassing on his part.

Well Craig has been accused of being James Bourne\Jason Bond for years so nice to see Matt get in on the act!
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    edited November 2015 Posts: 28,694
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    doubleoego wrote: »
    Yep. Exciting and visceral fights and a real thriller vibe to the story. Damon's Bourne movies have so far been a sure bet for excellent and engaging entertainment.

This is verbatim why I'm very excited to see this new one, as well. However, now that it's been shooting for a while, is it still being titled 'Bourne 5,' or will it get some type of surname following it like its predecessors?

@Creasy47, rest assured, I think we'll get a movie entitled The Bourne (something) when all is said and done. They've used all of Ludlum's titles now, as he did three novels with Bourne, but the continuation novels by Eric Van Lustbader may be used, as they already borrowed Legacy for Jeremy Renner's film.

Here's all the titles of the Lustbader novels:

The Bourne Legacy (2004)
    The Bourne Betrayal (2007)
    The Bourne Sanction (2008)
    The Bourne Deception (2009)
    The Bourne Objective (2010)
    The Bourne Dominion (2011)
    The Bourne Imperative (2012)
    The Bourne Retribution (2013)
    The Bourne Ascendancy (2014)
    The Bourne Enigma (TBA)

Not a fan of any of them really, but if I had to choose I'd go with "Enigma." I hope the team do an original title.
    I like ascendancy that's a cool title.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited November 2015 Posts: 23,883
    Seconded.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    bondjames wrote: »
    Seconded.

Third...ed? Either way, I hope they steer clear of anything generic, such as 'Retribution.'
    Haven't the titles all be in order so that would mean the next film is The Bourne Betrayal.
  • M_BaljeM_Balje Amsterdam, Netherlands
    edited December 2015 Posts: 4,444
    Matt Damon confirm the movie besides the VS and England take place in Greece (Tenerife wil double as Athene - Greece) and Germany.

http://www.darkhorizons.com/news/40508/damon-talks-fifth-bourne-locations-timeframe
    "We're, like, probably about halfway through. We started in September but they're going dark for most of December and cutting basically the first two acts. And then we have the third act and then whatever we owe from the first two acts…We were in Tenerife, which is supposed to be Athens. It would be like a nighttime riot scene to kind of start the movie. And then England, Berlin a little bit for about a week, and a little bit in D.C. Then we're going to Vegas for the third act… Big car chase on the strip."

With 28/29 July 2016 as release date, you can say Universal doing same thing as Mi5 this year (2015) did with 30/31 July 2015.
  • edited December 2015 Posts: 5,767
    I'm so pumped for this film. I can't wait to see Damon kicking ass again.
    I wish I was as pumped as Damon on that first official foto...

Cowley wrote: »
    The drubbing that SP has had in some quarters for having the audacity to be a Bond film first and foremost is a tad worrying.
    Had it? I thought that was for being lame?
    I enjoy the Bourne films for being fast paced thrillers but I don't get so enthused about endless CIA conspiracy theory plots so I hope Bourne 5 gives us something a little different this time.
    Bourne "5"? What did I miss?

• 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    boldfinger wrote: »
    I'm so pumped for this film. I can't wait to see Damon kicking ass again.
    I wish I was as pumped as Damon on that first official foto...

Had it? I thought that was for being lame?
    Bourne "5"? What did I miss?

It's official, folks. Spectre is the new Brosnan. ;)
    @0Brady, while that thought occurred to me during the torture scene, I fail to get why you quote my post in connection with your post.
    @boldfinger, it currently has the title of 'Bourne 5.' I'm sure it'll be altered officially and given a subtitle at some point soon. It should be 'Bourne 4,' as I can't count the atrocity that was 'The Bourne Legacy.'
    @boldfinger, it currently has the title of 'Bourne 5.' I'm sure it'll be altered officially and given a subtitle at some point soon. It should be 'Bourne 4,' as I can't count the atrocity that was 'The Bourne Legacy.'
    Ah haha, completely forgot about that one :-))!

And yet that is the only one I like and the only one I have seen. I have decided eventually I will move on from my matt damon dislike and watch the first three at somepoint if I can find the original trilogy on dvd cheapily after Christmas I will probably pick it up and watch all four films to then see If I am as crazy as everyone feels or if Legacy really is a good film.

They're great films, @Risico007, I hope you enjoy them. Great, intriguing story filled with some wonderful sequences and action scenes, especially a certain fight in 'The Bourne Ultimatum.' Well worth a watch.
    like I said I was always annoyed by Matt Damon so I avoided the films like the plague however I loved Legacy because I enjoy Renner so I am willing to give the trilogy and of course 5 a shot because well maybe I will like Matt Damon as Jason Bourne...
    Yep. Exciting and visceral fights and a real thriller vibe to the story. Damon's Bourne movies have so far been a sure bet for excellent and engaging entertainment.

This is verbatim why I'm very excited to see this new one, as well. However, now that it's been shooting for a while, is it still being titled 'Bourne 5,' or will it get some type of surname following it like its predecessors?

@Creasy47, rest assured, I think we'll get a movie entitled The Bourne (something) when all is said and done. They've used all of Ludlum's titles now, as he did three novels with Bourne, but the continuation novels by Eric Van Lustbader may be used, as they already borrowed Legacy for Jeremy Renner's film.

The Bourne Legacy (2004)
    The Bourne Enigma (TBA)

Not a fan of any of them really, but if I had to choose I'd go with "Enigma." I hope the team do an original title.

Are the Ludlum's books good? He has 3 books with Bourne or ?
    I still don't get why people are wondering about this I would be shocked if the film is NOT the Bourne Betrayal
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    Risico007 wrote: »
    like I said I was always annoyed by Matt Damon so I avoided the films like the plague however I loved Legacy because I enjoy Renner so I am willing to give the trilogy and of course 5 a shot because well maybe I will like Matt Damon as Jason Bourne...
    Damon to Bourne is like Connery to Bond. Definitive. He plays it differently from any other role he's played so you may enjoy it. I hope so anyway.
  • edited December 2015 Posts: 9,771
    As do I.

I did play the god awful video game The Bourne Conspiracy.. with controls so wonky it makes 007 legends look good.

And yet that is the only one I like and the only one I have seen. I have decided eventually I will move on from my matt damon dislike and watch the first three at somepoint if I can find the original trilogy on dvd cheapily after Christmas I will probably pick it up and watch all four films to then see If I am as crazy as everyone feels or if Legacy really is a good film.
    Well, you can't say Legacy is the only one you like if you haven't as much as watched two seconds of the Bourne trilogy.

Because you by some miracle liked Legacy-what's your secret?-I think you'll have no problem enjoying the trilogy, as it's 1,000X better in every way.
    dragonsky wrote: »

The Bourne Legacy (2004)
    The Bourne Enigma (TBA)

I'm mixed on the Ludlum books. I read them in my early teenage years, so my memory is slightly foggy, but not so foggy as to forget my overall impressions.

The first book is great, a real spy classic. Number 2 is a bit of a departure in a lot of ways and does some interesting stuff all based around China, and 3 I found to ultimately be underwhelming for reasons that cannot be expressed without spoiling it all.

The books are very different from the movies. There are scant things they truly share in common. And in the trilogy the big bad that connects them all is the terrorist Carlos the Jackal, Bourne's Moriarty, for lack of a better word. He has his basis on the real life figure, which gives him a bit of intrigue and depth as well. That element of the books is great, where Bourne and he cross each other and tempt a collision over the course of the trilogy.

I would definitely give the books a try though, especially if you call yourself an espionage fan. There's a lot to love in the books, and Ludlum had a knack for weaving complex narratives. It's also great to see Bourne/Webb age from book to book. Throughout the trilogy you very much witness him changing, mentally and physically as he matures and realizes he can't do things how he used to before. It's very interesting, and something many people might be surprised by.

Like I said, the books are very different from the films, another beast entirely, but that's more of a strength than anything, like the Bond films and Fleming's novels. It just gives you two different things to appreciate built around one common character.

I would personally stay clear of the Lustbader though. All the things I grew to like in the Ludlum books was unraveled and brought to ruin in some of his stories.

To compare it to Fleming, it'd be like if after Fleming passed away one writer was hired to write a series of books following Bond's life post-TMWTGG that weren't needed in the first place. At the beginning of the first book Bond would be torn from his retirement for some implausible reason, heading back into the fray. At the end of the book Bond would proclaim to never do it again, only to backtrack on that statement in the next book and every book thereafter. What would result is 10 or twelve nonsensical books that have no baring on Fleming's character or world, where ridiculousness wins the day. Over the course of the books everything Fleming established would be soiled by the new writer. In one novel, likely early on, he'd have M, Moneypenny and Tanner die in an explosion targeting MI6. Later on this attack would be revealed to have been orchestrated by one of Bond's illegitimate children from earlier in his life seeking revenge for his disbandment. Likely his son with Kissy. The two would then become enemies, the son being the new Blofeld as they meet and fight on and off over the course of the books. Then the son would be revealed to be brainwashed or something equally foolish by a higher power, resulting in Bond facing a deadlier version of SPECTRE near the end of the books, resulting in father and son coming together to wage one last fight together, blah, blah, blah.

Basically, it'd be crap.

The Bourne Legacy (2004)
    The Bourne Enigma (TBA)

l love all of Ludlums thrillers . The first Ludlum that I ever read was Bourne Identity. I loved it. I couldn't put it down . Personally I think Damon really sucks as Bourne and I think the movies are terrible compared to the original Ludlum thrillers, but the Damon films are barely based on the books anyway.
    Only Identity bares much resemblance to the Ludlum original thrillers. The other two, forget about it.
    Richard Chamberlain was much better cast as Bourne in the TV mini-series I think
    Chamberlain looks pretty much exactly as Ludlum described Bourne.
    The Damon films work as as a good standalone action series, but that's about it I think.

What I loved about Ludlum's books is that Bourne is so lethal, never mind the mystery surrounding his origins and purpose. More lethal than Bond, but that's because he was created as super operative.
    The Bourne Identity is created as world's most lethal operative. He's expert in all tradecraft, weaponry, fighting etc. He has no equal other than the nemesis that he was created to destroy.
    It's an awesome trilogy. It would be great to have a proper '80s period treatment of the story.

I've read all of the continuation novels. They are readable, if not sloggish sometimes, but they aren't really a proper continuation.
    And the author seems to forget how truly deadly and unbeatable the Bourne Identity was as originally presented by Ludlum.
    Continuation Bourne is too vulnerable at times.
    But IMO Bourne doesn't really make sense outside the original Ludlum context.
    Authentic Bourne IMO is the three original Ludlum books and not much else other than the excellent TV mini-series.

The continuation books are more of a relaunch of the character in a whole new setting.
    Ludlum brought the original trilogy to a very satisfying conclusion. There was really nothing to continue.
  • M_BaljeM_Balje Amsterdam, Netherlands
    edited January 2016 Posts: 4,444
    The Bourne Mattness

On this new picture of movie Matt Damon looks very mad..

bourne-5-matt-damon-600x373.jpg?w=720&cdnnode=1

Mabey there should use The Bourne Dominion as title. Sound a bit like Domination and Dominion means '' heerschappij'' (Control) in Dutch. It also means card game, i must think about ''shaking the cards'' to his side. Jason Bourne is back and whant his life back.
    Looking forward to the trailer!
  • Greengrass back directing so we can look forward to another headache inducing shaky cam where you can't tell what's going on. Lazy technique to 'impose' excitement.

• doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    I think Greengrass uses the technique well and better than most if not all who use shakey cam.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    I think Greengrass uses the technique well and better than most if not all who use shakey cam.
    Certainly better than Marc Forster.

Well, you can't say Legacy is the only one you like if you haven't as much as watched two seconds of the Bourne trilogy.

Because you by some miracle liked Legacy-what's your secret?-I think you'll have no problem enjoying the trilogy, as it's 1,000X better in every way.

The Bourne Legacy (2004)
    The Bourne Enigma (TBA)

I'm mixed on the Ludlum books. I read them in my early teenage years, so my memory is slightly foggy, but not so foggy as to forget my overall impressions.

The first book is great, a real spy classic. Number 2 is a bit of a departure in a lot of ways and does some interesting stuff all based around China, and 3 I found to ultimately be underwhelming for reasons that cannot be expressed without spoiling it all.

The books are very different from the movies. There are scant things they truly share in common. And in the trilogy the big bad that connects them all is the terrorist Carlos the Jackal, Bourne's Moriarty, for lack of a better word. He has his basis on the real life figure, which gives him a bit of intrigue and depth as well. That element of the books is great, where Bourne and he cross each other and tempt a collision over the course of the trilogy.

I would definitely give the books a try though, especially if you call yourself an espionage fan. There's a lot to love in the books, and Ludlum had a knack for weaving complex narratives. It's also great to see Bourne/Webb age from book to book. Throughout the trilogy you very much witness him changing, mentally and physically as he matures and realizes he can't do things how he used to before. It's very interesting, and something many people might be surprised by.

Like I said, the books are very different from the films, another beast entirely, but that's more of a strength than anything, like the Bond films and Fleming's novels. It just gives you two different things to appreciate built around one common character.

I would personally stay clear of the Lustbader though. All the things I grew to like in the Ludlum books was unraveled and brought to ruin in some of his stories.

To compare it to Fleming, it'd be like if after Fleming passed away one writer was hired to write a series of books following Bond's life post-TMWTGG that weren't needed in the first place. At the beginning of the first book Bond would be torn from his retirement for some implausible reason, heading back into the fray. At the end of the book Bond would proclaim to never do it again, only to backtrack on that statement in the next book and every book thereafter. What would result is 10 or twelve nonsensical books that have no baring on Fleming's character or world, where ridiculousness wins the day. Over the course of the books everything Fleming established would be soiled by the new writer. In one novel, likely early on, he'd have M, Moneypenny and Tanner die in an explosion targeting MI6. Later on this attack would be revealed to have been orchestrated by one of Bond's illegitimate children from earlier in his life seeking revenge for his disbandment. Likely his son with Kissy. The two would then become enemies, the son being the new Blofeld as they meet and fight on and off over the course of the books. Then the son would be revealed to be brainwashed or something equally foolish by a higher power, resulting in Bond facing a deadlier version of SPECTRE near the end of the books, resulting in father and son coming together to wage one last fight together, blah, blah, blah.

Basically, it'd be crap.

Thanks for the throughout review of the books. So there are only 3 original books. I may check those out. They have same names as the movies right?

And your paralel with bond: Well..I mean I wouldn't hate the idea of Bond's son returning but the whole brainwashing "disney ending" sounds stupid.