Daniel Craig's Fisticuffs

124»

Comments

MrBond wrote:
    Well look at the top of this page, someone who wanted that the Bond fights should be more like Bourne again. Something that would be considered as crazy just a year ago.

He wants the fight scenes to be more brutal. He isn't specifically requesting that they try to be like Bourne.

And did you read my last post? You're lumping two different groups of people together. People who want the brutal fight scenes back aren't the same people who wanted to get rid of them before SF.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    doubleoego wrote:
    MrBond wrote:
    Well look at the top of this page, someone who wanted that the Bond fights should be more like Bourne again. Something that would be considered as crazy just a year ago.

You've missed the point of @Brady's post. Bourne's fights aren't a problem, if anything, they're more than suitable in style for Bond as that sort of CQC technique is standard for any credible spy/agent/operative. The adverse issue Bond fans have, however, as @Brady expressed us the editing and to a lesser extent the shakey cam. When you can't see what's going on, it's frustrating because it's hard to appreciate but the fighting stule and technique itself is something we champion. CR delivered on this beautifully and with QoS, although they delivered on the brutality of the fights, the hack and slash editing which was a poor attempt at aping Bond Bourne wasn't largely appreciated and for good reason.

Exactly, and I fixed a mistake. :)
    Skyfail wrote:
    RC7 wrote:
    When exactly is this moment that everyone is complaining about where Bond raises his fists in the Macau fight?

He takes a strange 'put em up' type stance.

Best description so far ! :))

manlyman.PNG
    That is what everyone is on about? That reminds me of an old boxing stance, Victorian looking.
  • RC7RC7
    That is what everyone is on about? That reminds me of an old boxing stance, Victorian looking.

Yeah, exactly. Slightly odd and comedic in the circumstances. More Sherlock than Bond.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    RC7 wrote:

Yeah, exactly. Slightly odd and comedic in the circumstances. More Sherlock than Bond.

I don't find it odd and comedic at all. Doyle's Sherlock leveled many an opponent with that stance, and it is a serious position to take when in a dangerous head to head fight.
  • RC7RC7
    RC7 wrote:

I don't find it odd and comedic at all. Doyle's Sherlock leveled many an opponent with that stance, and it is a serious position to take when in a dangerous head to head fight.

It's like Bond using Crane, a bit jarring and odd especially for Craig's Bond. The comparitive scene that springs to mind is Connery in Osato's office, he too would have looked un-Bondian giving it the old 'put em up'. It's not a big deal, I just remember chuckling the first time I saw it and thinking, this is very Roger Moore.
    RC7 wrote:
    RC7 wrote:

It's like Bond using Crane, a bit jarring and odd especially for Craig's Bond. The comparitive scene that springs to mind is Connery in Osato's office, he too would have looked un-Bondian giving it the old 'put em up'. It's not a big deal, I just remember chuckling the first time I saw it and thinking, this is very Roger Moore.

I agree ,it felt very out of place for Craig's Bond.

• MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Spoiler Tag for language. :))
    Daniel Craig has had a lot of great fight scenes. My favourite fight scene is Bond vs Patrice on the train in SF.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    I was watching Skyfall the other night, prior to reading this thread, and his "put up your dukes" stance struck me as odd. At the time I just assumed that he was dazed by the fall and impact and he was doing his best to gather himself.
    @doubleoego
    Having read this in another thread
    doubleoego wrote:
    Like I said in the Craig appreciation thread a couple of days ago, after seeing that video where the interviewer asks Craig about Bond, Craig's response stating that they're just rumours and coupling that with how many figures in the industry deny any involvement with projects only to later find out that they were; Boyle being announced as the director wouldn't surprise me. I was just recounting his body of work and his resume is extremely versatile and I think a Bond film under his belt and what he can deliver could be amazing. I'll be checking out Trance tomorrow, it looks pretty damn good.

I must ask, How does he handle action ?
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    I'll let you know tomorrow after I see Trance but in terms of character, scope and escapism the man knows his craft. He's a great, versatile director and has an impressive eye for a unique style; a trait I think he can adapt to realising action set pieces and scenes in general.
    oh ok,
    Looking forward to your post :) !
    I think the fight scenes in SF worked well because,in the PTS Bond was shot with the 'nasty bullets',hence he struggled with Patrice on the train.

Also,later on,in another fight with Patrice and also the fight in the Lizard Pit,again Bond was exposed as being unfit and slower than he had been before in CR and QOS,which was an interesting aspect of SF.

It was only upon the death of Severene that he seemed to snap out of his lethargy,take out Silva's guards,and turn back into 007.

Some people critisize these aspects but i think it was an interesting idea and made SF more interesting.
  • Well I suppose I'll help bump this a bit and reply to the "Macau fight" talk. I love the scene. It's got that lightness of touch and wit but it's still a great fight scene and very stylish. Fantastic moment, one of my favorite scenes in the whole film easy. Bond gathering himself and putting up his dukes. Love it.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    I was underwhelmed by it. I find it interesting that there wasn't a single fight in SF that was as good as Bond Vs Dominic Greene in QoS' finale physical confrontation.
  • edited February 2016 Posts: 1,386
    Craig is easily one of the best fighters in the series for me (along with Connery & Lazenby). My favorite of his fights would be against Mr. Hinx in SPECTRE.