THE 2012 OSCARS! Winners Posted:

Comments

• JamesPageJamesPage Administrator, Moderator, Director
    edited January 2012 Posts: 1,380
    Three James Bond alumni have received Oscar nominations today for the 2012 Academy Awards.

"Skyfall" co-writer John Logan for "Hugo" for Writing (Adapted Screenplay), former Blofeld actor Max von Sydow for Actor in a Supporting Role in "Extremely Loud & Incredibly Close", and special effects wizard John Richardson for Visual Effects on "Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2".

The event will be held on Sunday 26th February 2012.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    When was Syndow Blofeld?
  • edited January 2012 Posts: 5,745
    When was Syndow Blofeld?

Huh, not on IMDB. I'm guessing one of the 'back turned to camera' mega star blofelds. Perhaps the voice?
  • edited January 2012 Posts: 1,407
    Never Say Never Again. What a waste of such a great actor
    1983 E.S. Blofeld in NSNA, the best Blofeld imho.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    JWESTBROOK wrote:
    When was Syndow Blofeld?

Huh, not on IMDB. I'm guessing one of the 'back turned to camera' mega star blofelds. Perhaps the voice?

Maybe the body. Who knows.
    SaintMark wrote:

I've never heard of this 'NSNA'. Must not be Bond. Huh. 8-|
    JWESTBROOK wrote:
    SaintMark wrote:

I've never heard of this 'NSNA'. Must not be Bond. Huh. 8-|

Yes, it never happened. ;)
  • St_GeorgeSt_George Shuttling Drax's lovelies to the space doughnut - happy 40th, MR!
    No major surprises in the Oscar noms this year, methinks, apart from perhaps DiCaprio (J Edgar) and Gosling (Drive/ The Ides Of March) missing out in the Best Actor category. Great to see Gary Oldman for the latter category and the screenwriters of Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy squeezing in, mind you.

It's between The Artist and The Descendants for the big prize, though. And with the former having just won the Producers' Guild Of America (PGA) award, many'll say it's in pole position now (very few PGA winners haven't won the Best Picture Oscar), but on the biggest stage will Hollywood really reward a French film over one of its own...?
  • Samuel001 wrote:
    Even if the scene is filming tomorrow? It just seems a bit dangerous, a bit too close..

At least they have a screenwirter who can work on the script during filming - they didn't have one during the shooting of QOS. :)

I thought that was what Joshua Zetumer was doing. At least that's what the story was at the time, which varies with Daniel Craig's recent statements.

• St_George wrote:
    No major surprises in the Oscar noms this year, methinks, apart from perhaps DiCaprio (J Edgar) and Gosling (Drive/ The Ides Of March) missing out in the Best Actor category. Great to see Gary Oldman for the latter category and the screenwriters of Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy squeezing in, mind you.

It's between The Artist and The Descendants for the big prize, though. And with the former having just won the Producers' Guild Of America (PGA) award, many'll say it's in pole position now (very few PGA winners haven't won the Best Picture Oscar), but on the biggest stage will Hollywood really reward a French film over one of its own...?

I think The Artist would definitely have a chance at winning Best Picture, but I think the Academy would go "safe" and pick Hugo or War Horse or even ELIC.

As for snubbs, definitely DiCaprio for J. Edgar, Gosling for both Drive and Ides of March, Fassenbender for Shame and A Dangerous Mind and Joseph Gordon-Levitt for 50/50. I would take either of those four over Brad Pitt.

Steve McQueen and David Fincher didn't get in either, but all the selections in Best Director were justified. Don't know why Jonah Hill and Von Sydow got in over Albert Brooks for Drive.

• edited January 2012 Posts: 4,619
    The Best Picture from now on is a race between The Artist and Hugo.
    St_George wrote:
    No major surprises in the Oscar noms this year,

No surprises? How about Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close? Demián Bichir? Gary Oldman?
  • St_GeorgeSt_George Shuttling Drax's lovelies to the space doughnut - happy 40th, MR!
    edited January 2012 Posts: 1,699
    I think The Artist would definitely have a chance at winning Best Picture, but I think the Academy would go "safe" and pick Hugo or War Horse or even ELIC.

The buzz is that War Horse probably only just secured its Best Picture berth, as did Extremely Loud And Incredibly Close. However, the latter was getting talked up over the last couple of weeks of maybe springing a surprise and getting a Best Pic nom owing to changes in the rules for casting votes for the nominations in that category over last year (apparently ELAIC was getting good late word-of-mouth among Academy members). So it wasn't a great surprise ELAIC did get nominated after all really. More of a surprise is that The Tree Of Life did, given that was ignored by many critics' awards this season.

As to what'll actually win, that usually comes down to 'momentum' built up during the awards season. Obviously The Artist has the most momentum and should be odds-on after the PGA win, but for the reason I've stated I'm not at all sure it will. The movie with the next most momentum in the Best Pic category is surely The Descendants (what with its wins at the Golden Globes for Best Drama, Actor for Clooney and Screenplay). In fact, I'd argue that should actually be the real favourite. Not that I necessarily want it to win, you understand. ;)
    Samuel001 wrote:
    Even if the scene is filming tomorrow? It just seems a bit dangerous, a bit too close..

At least they have a screenwirter who can work on the script during filming - they didn't have one during the shooting of QOS. :)

I thought that was what Joshua Zetumer was doing. At least that's what the story was at the time, which varies with Daniel Craig's recent statements.

Zetumer, I believe, came in to do rewrites, but I wouldn't be a bit surprised if he wasn't the only one and - given his known very hands-on approach to the role - also wouldn't be a bit surprised if Craig, as well as Forster, did so too on-set, you know, for certain scenes...
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    St_George wrote:

Agreed. I think this may be a rare split decision year: picture to The Artist and director to Payne for The Descendants.
  • St_George wrote:
    No major surprises in the Oscar noms this year, methinks, apart from perhaps DiCaprio (J Edgar) and Gosling (Drive/ The Ides Of March) missing out in the Best Actor category.
    Tintin not in the Best Animated Film category was a huge surprise for me. I thought it might not win due to mo-cap, but not nominated?!
    St_George wrote:
    It's between The Artist and The Descendants for the big prize, though.
    Agreed

DArtagnan wrote:
    St_George wrote:
    No major surprises in the Oscar noms this year, methinks, apart from perhaps DiCaprio (J Edgar) and Gosling (Drive/ The Ides Of March) missing out in the Best Actor category.
    Tintin not in the Best Animated Film category was a huge surprise for me. I thought it might not win due to mo-cap, but not nominated?!

I believe the Oscar's rules say motion-capture is not animated. Yet, they don't have a criteria for it. So right now, motion capture movies are kinda screwed unless they get Best Picture noms.
  • JWESTBROOK wrote:
    DArtagnan wrote:
    St_George wrote:

I believe the Oscar's rules say motion-capture is not animated. Yet, they don't have a criteria for it. So right now, motion capture movies are kinda screwed unless they get Best Picture noms.

Monster House got a nomination in 2006, and was partially motion-captured.
    JWESTBROOK wrote:
    DArtagnan wrote:
    St_George wrote:

Monster House got a nomination in 2006, and was partially motion-captured.

I believe these are recent rules. I was watching a livestream of the announcements and I believe it was mentioned (maybe by empire).

When you think about it, motion-capture is less than a decade old (at least as we know it). The Academy has awkwardly adjusted to it.

I'm pretty positive that for this years awards, films motion-captured will not be nominated as a animated film.

But should it be? Thats another thread...
    The SAG awards here in America are pretty.. uneventful.

So far The Help and The Artist have hit it big.
    JWESTBROOK wrote:

I wasn't expecting The Help to score that big at SAG. But yea other than that, a pretty uneventful show
    bondbat007 wrote:
    JWESTBROOK wrote:

I wasn't expecting The Help to score that big at SAG. But yea other than that, a pretty uneventful show

Yea, a surprising pick up from them. They had the best 'non-fake' speeches. I loved how they devoted their speeches to something, and actually made a speech, not just thanked a list of people we'll never know.
    Full list of SAG Awards:
    FILM

CAST
    The Help

BEST ACTOR
    Jean Dujardin, The Artist

BEST ACTRESS
    Viola Davis, The Help

BEST SUPPORTING ACTOR
    Christopher Plummer, Beginners

BEST SUPPORTING ACTRESS
    Octavia Spencer, The Help

STUNT ENSEMBLE
    Harry Potter And The Deathly Hallows: Part 2

PRIMETIME TELEVISION

BEST DRAMA CAST
    Boardwalk Empire

BEST COMEDY CAST
    Modern Family

BEST DRAMA ACTOR
    Steve Buscemi, Boardwalk Empire

BEST DRAMA ACTRESS
    Jessica Lange, American Horror Story

BEST COMEDY ACTOR
    Alec Baldwin, 30 Rock

BEST COMEDY ACTRESS
    Betty White, Hot in Cleveland

BEST ACTOR IN A TV MOVIE/MINISERIES
    Paul Giamatti, Too Big To Fail

BEST ACTRESS IN A TV MOVIE/MINISERIES
    Kate Winslet, Mildred Pierce

STUNT ENSEMBLE
    Game Of Thrones

LIFETIME ACHIEVEMENT AWARD
    Mary Tyler Moore
    The Academy Awards start in about an hour!
    You can go here http://www.empireonline.com/news/story.asp?NID=33241
    to watch live coverage, though through text updates I believe.
  • LudsLuds MIA
    The Oscars are on soon, the misses put the channel on ABC, so it's time to go cook my breakfast for tomorrow and play some 3h boardgame until she tells me if Jean Dujardin won for the Artist.

Or maybe I'll put on a Bond flick and, then it'll get to the 2-3 prizes people actually care about ;)
    Hugo is the first movie shot with ARRI ALEXA cameras to win an Oscar for Best Cinematography. Skyfall is being shot with the same cameras (except in 2D instead of 3D).
  • edited February 2012 Posts: 5,745
    ^ Good catch!

Hugo is an early winner. A little surprising. Cinematography and Art Direction.
  • marketto007marketto007 Brazil
    Adam Sandler just said that Diamonds Are Forever was the first movie he saw. :D

xxx
    Adam Sandler just said that Diamonds Are Forever was the first movie he saw. :D

xxx
    Caught that, too! Sandler went on to mention he was mesmerized by Sean Connery's chest hair haha
    5 Oscars for Hugo SO FAR!
    Oscar voters: 94% are white, 77% are male, median age is 62.