THE 2012 OSCARS! Winners Posted:

Comments

• HASEROTHASEROT has returned like the tedious inevitability of an unloved season---
    kind of find it a little upsetting, that Steve Jobs and Whitney Houston get honored tonight.... but John Barry, a 5 time Academy Award winning composer doesn't...... seriously - wtf academy??
  • edited February 2012 Posts: 94
    haserot said:

kind of find it a little upsetting, that Steve Jobs and Whitney Houston get honored tonight.... but John Barry, a 5 time Academy Award winning composer doesn't...... seriously - wtf academy??

Hmm I don't saw whole "memories" but yes it a shame that Jobs get the honour(if Jobs why not for e.g. Atari founders, or Amiga or Cray or other computer makers?) and not Barry...

For me there were no too much films(of course I just don't saw many) last year that are worth Oscar. I known that it is strange - but if I had to give Oscar to a dame, rather not choose Iron Dame ;-) but rather Oona Castilla a. k. a. Chaplin. Not that films with her, except QoS are worth Oscar nomination, but I like her way of playing, and total world behaviour :-),

Iron dame just don't work for me - unnatural, and even the topic was featured strange. And I don't like Thatcher too :-), if I have too choose the real British woman of the XX century politic it will be the Queen, because she stopped rest of British empire dissolution(it will break more, if somebody say just no, and fight with new states governments, IRA attacks in London probably would be treated then as a just nice playground), peacefully moved with other, and especially her works are real success if You known that she get only knowledge on the part first school program...

Artist is not a bad decision. Also I think the nice was giving an Oscar to 82 old actor, especially on 84 gala :-).
  • WillardWhyteWillardWhyte Midnight Society #ProjectMoon
    HASEROT wrote:

My thoughts exactly, what a shame.
  • KerimKerim Istanbul Not Constantinople
    Saw "The Artist" this weekend. Glad it got best picture. Really enjoyed it and want to watch it again. Haven't seen Hugo yet, but think I will first chance I get.
    Being a big fan of James Bond and eurospy films, I find it a tad troubling that Jason Bourne actor Matt Damon has an Oscar, and now Agent OSS 117 actor Jean Dujardin has an Oscar. Though prior James Bond actor Sean Connery has an Oscar, the current actor Daniel Craig does not! Craig seriously needs to step up his game, before Austin Powers actor Mike Myers gets one. Though Mike Myers seems to be an expert on Oscar edict.
    Glad to see Woody Allen won for screenplay. Midnight in Paris is one of his funniest films ever, and that's saying alot.
    So that's two years in a row now, that I have no interest whatsoever in watching the Best Picture. :P
    Wonder who amongst The Artist's critics has actually seen the film? Not many I suppose.
    The Artist was awesome, I've seen most of the films nominated and Jean Dujardin totally deserved that Oscar.
    HASEROT wrote:

....Our man the late great John Barry, was given a mention at last years awards!!!
    His photo came up first on the big screen when the "Obituaries" film played along with his arrangement of "Smile" from the Chaplin Score, sung on the night by Celine Dion!!
    ^:)^

Also mentioned that night last year was Bond script writer Tom Mankiewicz!!!
  • Streep really? I thought her acceptance speech, although intended to be tongue in cheek, came across as arrogant and stupid. I hope she crawls back under the overacting stone from which she came from? D.U.S.B.

I thought Oldman deserved it but can't complain too much about Jean's win.

Hugo nah.

Ps Come on the Reds you beauties - DC must be happy.

• M_BaljeM_Balje Amsterdam, Netherlands
    edited February 2012 Posts: 4,444
    Eon know now who there should hire in Sound editing and Sound Mixing.

From the Sound editors of Salt, Inside Man, The Silence of the Lambs and The Departed and who won Oscar with Hugo. From the Sound mixers of Inside Man, The Silence of the Lambs and The Departed and who won Oscar with Hugo.

Possible Hugo won because the second soundmixer John Midgley working on the first 3 Potter movies and all of them have great music and the mix of Harry Potter 3 is great and whas nominated too.

John Richardson the guy who be the special effects supervisor of Die Another Day and other Bond movies wins a Oscar with Hugo, whyle Die Another Day disapointed. :-)

Mabey Eon ask Lisa Tomblin back, she whas nominated for Harry Potter 8 (Make up) and working earlier with the already confirmd Francesca Crownder and earlier for TMND.
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    The winners were as expected I thought, not many surprises here. Well done to all.
    I though the Film Editing winner was surprising. Even the people with The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo didn't plan a speech, because they didn't think they would win. Ha!
    The Artist?? Best Picture?
    Anyone out there seen this black and white mostly silent flick?
    How was it?
    I wish Moneyball or the Descendants had won.
    Gary Oldman should have won actor. he has a great body of work.
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    It's seems churlish to say that Tinker (it's a masterpiece) should have been nominated in all the main categories, Oldman should have won for his most likely finest performance of his career, as Danny Leigh said on Film 2012 Jean Dujardin is very charming but so is his butcher, obviously proper acting isn't required to win, although I've not seen Descendents & Moneyball (looking forward to) I can't see another performance topping Gary's it is a mesmerising piece of acting.

The fact he took a role already defined by another actor already and gave his own interpretation and dare I say at times it was better, it was such a subtle performance but the emotions were etched on his face, managing to be intensely cruel in some scenes but not in an obvious way, watching him speak to Gulliame about his encounter with Karla, the film wisely didn't show it like the TV show, all it needed was Oldman telling the story, the element of Ann's power over Smiley is seen that more effectivley through Oldman, this was undoubtedly the performance of the year.

Thomas Alfredson had already given us a stunning debut and to follow it up with an even more confident film not even in his first language, eliciting not one bad performance out of his cast. A stunning screenplay that paid tribute to Le Carre's novel but still managing to make it a major work in itself, no I'm not bitter am I :-L
  • Now for the true awards:

The Razzie Nominations

Worst Picture

BUCKY LARSON: BORN TO BE A STAR
    Columbia Pictures / Happy Madison Productions

JACK & JILL
    Columbia Pictures / Happy Madison Productions

NEW YEAR'S EVE
    Warner Bros / New Line Cinema

TRANSFORMERS: DARK OF THE MOON
    Paramount Pictures / Hasbro

TWILIGHT SAGA: BREAKING DAWN PART I
    Summit Entertainment

Worst Actor

Russell Brand
    ARTHUR

Nicolas Cage
    DRIVE ANGRY 3-D, SEASON OF THE WITCH and TRESPASS

Taylor Lautner
    ABDUCTION and TWILIGHT S.B.D. PART I

Adam Sandler
    JACK & JILL and JUST GO WITH IT

Nick Swardson

Worst Actress

Martin Lawrence (As "Momma")
    BIG MOMMAS: LIKE FATHER, LIKE SON

Sarah Palin (As "Herself")
    SARAH PALIN: THE UNDEFEATED

Sarah Jessica Parker
    I DON'T KNOW HOW SHE DOES IT and NEW YEAR'S EVE

Adam Sandler (As "Jill")
    JACK & JILL

Kristen Stewart

Worst Supporting Actress:

Katie Holmes JACK & JILL

Brandon T. Jackson (As "Charmaine") BIG MOMMAS: LIKE FATHER, LIKE SON

Nicole Kidman JUST GO WITH IT

David Spade (As "Monica") JACK & JILL

The Underwear Model (aka Rosie Huntington-Whiteley) TRANSFORMERS: DARK OF THE MOON

Worst Supporting Actor

Patrick Dempsey

James Franco
    YOUR HIGHNESS

Ken Jeong
    BIG MOMMA'S #3, HANGOVER PART 2, TRANSFORMERS #3 and ZOOKEEPER

Al Pacino (As "Al Pacino")
    JACK & JILL

Nick Swardson

Worst Screen Ensemble

The Entire Cast of BUCKY LARSON: BORN TO BE A STAR

The Entire Cast of JACK & JILL

The Entire Cast of NEW YEAR'S EVE

The Entire Cast of TRANSFORMERS: DARK OF THE MOON

The Entire Cast of TWILIGHT SAGA: BREAKING DAWN PART I

Worst Director

Michael Bay

Tom Brady

Bill Condon
    Dennis Dugan

Garry Marshall

NEW YEAR'S EVE

Worst Prequel, Remake, Rip-Off or Sequel
    ARTHUR

(Rip-Off of BOOGIE NIGHTS and A STAR IS BORN)

THE HANGOVER PART 2

(Both a Sequel AND a Remake!)

JACK & JILL

(Remake/Rip-Off of Ed Woods' GLEN OR GLENDA)

Worst Screen Couple
    Nicolas Cage & Anyone Sharing the Screen with Him in Any of His Three 2011 Movies
    Shia LeBeouf & The Underwear Model (aka Rosie Huntington-Whiteley) TRANNIES #3
    Adam Sandler & EITHER Jennifer Aniston OR Brooklyn Decker / JUST GO WITH IT
    Adam Sandler and EITHER Katie Holmes, Al Pacino OR Adam Sandler / JACK & JILL
    Kristen Stewart & EITHER Taylor Lautner OR Robert Pattinson / TWILIGHT: BREAKING DAWN PART I

Worst Screenplay
    Written by Adam Sandler, Allen Covert and Nick Swardson

JACK & JILL
    Screenplay by Steve Koren & Adam Sandler, Story by Ben Zook

NEW YEAR'S EVE
    Written by Katherine Fugate

Written by Ehren Kruger
    Screenplay by Melissa Rosenberg
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    edited February 2012 Posts: 28,694
    It's funny, I saw Adam Sandler talking about seeing DAF(his first film), and how he had hopes of looking back at his work in a positive way and hoping it sums up why he does what he does, and blah blah blah. I'm sorry, but Adam, you need to quit while you're behind. You've had some luck in the past, but you have turned into the Nic Cage of comedy. Both of you just need to stop acting(Adam and Nic)/writing(Adam). And while we're on the topic it was hilarious to watch Michael Bay talking about the technical aspects of Transformers 3 for his SFX nominations. He was up there pretending to be a director, trying to get us to believe that the film was actually innovative or special at all. Please Michael! Your method is helicopter over here, guns and tanks over here, let's throw in an explosion here, and now everyone blow that car up and cut to the hot chick I have dressed in skimpy clothing to accentuate her figure and to feed my own personal misogynistic thrills. Up yours Mike. You are a disgrace to directors that carry their films and profession with esteem and beauty, and you stamp on the wonderful world of cinema. You can only go down in your case.
  • edited February 2012 Posts: 12,837
    It's funny, I saw Adam Sandler talking about seeing DAF(his first film), and how he had hopes of looking back at his work in a positive way and hoping it sums up why he does what he does, and blah blah blah. I'm sorry, but Adam, you need to quit while you're behind. You've had some luck in the past, but you have turned into the Nic Cage of comedy. Both of you just need to stop acting(Adam and Nic)/writing(Adam). And while we're on the topic it was hilarious to watch Michael Bay talking about the technical aspects of Transformers 3 for his SFX nominations. He was up there pretending to be a director, trying to get us to believe that the film was actually innovative or special at all. Please Michael! Your method is helicopter over here, guns and tanks over here, let's throw in an explosion here, and now everyone blow that car up and cut to the hot chick I have dressed in skimpy clothing to accentuate her figure and to feed my own personal misogynistic thrills. Up yours Mike. You are a disgrace to directors that carry their films and profession with esteem and beauty, and you stamp on the wonderful world of cinema. You can only go down in your case. >:(

I like mindless action movies and even I hate micheal bay. Too much CGI. Just cant live up to the 80s golden era, no CGI, just pure action, look at alan rickmans fall in die hard, and he did the stunt himself. And look at the tanker chase in LTK, or rambo machine gunning his way through vietnam, or iniana jones being dragged along a dusty road by a nazi truck in raiders. THAT is an action movie, not shia "lets drag down the quality of what could've been an awesome indiana jones film and make it the weakest one" laboufe running around with an underwear model and CGI robots.

As for adam sandler, yeah he sucks. But nick cage has starred in alot of bad films (wicker man remake, ghost rider, etc), but also some good ones (face off, national treasure 2). So I don't think cage is as bad.

I'm dissapointed this year. Tinkor tailor was really good (and I thought I'd be bored going into it), so I was sad that oldman didn't get best actor. I was also really annoyed that drive didn't get a nomination for anything, and tintin wasn't nominated for animated film (it was like the old indy movies, only with a kid and animated).

And I might get hate for this, but I don't think the artist deserves all this praise. I saw it and didn't like it, but I could see why others would and I have no problem with them picking up afew awards. But the ammount of awards its winning is ridiculous. It doesn't deserve all this.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    It's funny, I saw Adam Sandler talking about seeing DAF(his first film), and how he had hopes of looking back at his work in a positive way and hoping it sums up why he does what he does, and blah blah blah. I'm sorry, but Adam, you need to quit while you're behind. You've had some luck in the past, but you have turned into the Nic Cage of comedy. Both of you just need to stop acting(Adam and Nic)/writing(Adam). And while we're on the topic it was hilarious to watch Michael Bay talking about the technical aspects of Transformers 3 for his SFX nominations. He was up there pretending to be a director, trying to get us to believe that the film was actually innovative or special at all. Please Michael! Your method is helicopter over here, guns and tanks over here, let's throw in an explosion here, and now everyone blow that car up and cut to the hot chick I have dressed in skimpy clothing to accentuate her figure and to feed my own personal misogynistic thrills. Up yours Mike. You are a disgrace to directors that carry their films and profession with esteem and beauty, and you stamp on the wonderful world of cinema. You can only go down in your case. >:(

I like mindless action movies and even I hate micheal bay. Just cant live up to the 80s golden era, no CGI, just pure action. The expendables was good though.

As for adam sandler, yeah he sucks. But nick cage has starred in alot of bad films (wicker man remake, ghost rider, etc), but also some good ones (face off, national treasure 2). So I don't think cage is as bad.

I'm dissapointed this year. Tinkor tailor was really good (and I thought I'd be bored going into it), so I was sad that oldman didn't get best actor. I was also really annoyed that drive didn't get a nomination for anything, and tintin wasn't nominated for animated film (it was like the old indy movies, only with a kid and animated).

And I might get hate for this, but I don't think the artist deserves all this praise. I saw it and didn't like it, but I could see why others would and I have no problem with them picking up afew awards. But the ammount of awards its winning is ridiculous. It doesn't deserve all this.
    I didn't seen Hugo winning all the awards at the start, but looking at it they are very deserved. I haven't seen The Artist yet, but it is an obvious throwback to 40s/50s cinema, so naturally it had the upper hand from day one. And Tin Tin being snubbed in Best Animated Feature Film made my jaw drop, one of only two or three surprises last night. And Gary Oldman, one of the greatest talents in acting, had his 1ST NOMINATION LAST NIGHT! Only one nomination for his acting career thus far is utter tripe as the Brits put it, and I can't believe this happened. He may be one of the few actors to get a Lifetime Achievement Award before they get an Oscar. Give the man his due. Here's hoping he knocks everyone out of the park with TDKR, which I'd love to see take Best Picture(I can dream).
  • It's funny, I saw Adam Sandler talking about seeing DAF(his first film), and how he had hopes of looking back at his work in a positive way and hoping it sums up why he does what he does, and blah blah blah. I'm sorry, but Adam, you need to quit while you're behind. You've had some luck in the past, but you have turned into the Nic Cage of comedy. Both of you just need to stop acting(Adam and Nic)/writing(Adam). And while we're on the topic it was hilarious to watch Michael Bay talking about the technical aspects of Transformers 3 for his SFX nominations. He was up there pretending to be a director, trying to get us to believe that the film was actually innovative or special at all. Please Michael! Your method is helicopter over here, guns and tanks over here, let's throw in an explosion here, and now everyone blow that car up and cut to the hot chick I have dressed in skimpy clothing to accentuate her figure and to feed my own personal misogynistic thrills. Up yours Mike. You are a disgrace to directors that carry their films and profession with esteem and beauty, and you stamp on the wonderful world of cinema. You can only go down in your case. >:(

I like mindless action movies and even I hate micheal bay. Just cant live up to the 80s golden era, no CGI, just pure action. The expendables was good though.

I didn't seen Hugo winning all the awards at the start, but looking at it they are very deserved. I haven't seen The Artist yet, but it is an obvious throwback to 40s/50s cinema, so naturally it had the upper hand from day one. And Tin Tin being snubbed in Best Animated Feature Film made my jaw drop, one of only two or three surprises last night. And Gary Oldman, one of the greatest talents in acting, had his 1ST NOMINATION LAST NIGHT! Only one nomination for his acting career thus far is utter tripe as the Brits put it, and I can't believe this happened. He may be one of the few actors to get a Lifetime Achievement Award before they get an Oscar. Give the man his due. Here's hoping he knocks everyone out of the park with TDKR, which I'd love to see take Best Picture(I can dream).

TDKR at least will deserve a nomination, and nolan will definetly deserve best director. I don't normally get my hopes up for a film but with TDKR I'm guaranteed a good film.
  • KerimKerim Istanbul Not Constantinople
    OHMSS69 wrote:
    How was it?

Quite excellent. You'll love it.
    A very good movie, well worth the Oscars it got. Even when I found Hugo very good as well.
    But heck both movies are about cinematic history and do that very good.
    Well I don't know about all the Oscars it got, I'm not that much of a cineaste and haven't seen all the competition, so I can hardly give a serious verdict there. But The Artist I feel may be for the first time in decades an example that unmasks many critics of the Academy as an empty pose and a knee-jerk reaction. I've read time and again how commercial, uninspired and liberal establishment the awards are, yet here was an entirely unconventional and bold flick awarded that took more risks than anybody in the business would have, at least on the US side. I bet a lot of those critics would have put up much the same show had The Artist not gotten the Oscars it did. And all those who aren't interested in The Artist were not meant to be among the target audience in the first place, so don't sweat it. It's not meant to appeal to all of us, why should it?
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    I just so wanted Gary to win! Really sorry he didn't. Meryl deserved it for sure (and many times over, one of our finest actresses ever).
  • LudsLuds MIA
    Kerim wrote:
    OHMSS69 wrote:
    How was it?

Quite excellent. You'll love it.

People need to see this with an open mind. Don't let yourself get bored because there aren't explosions after 7 minutes, just let yourself enjoy the beautiful story.
  • edited February 2012 Posts: 11,189
    The Artist is fantastic. I agree with Luds

:-O :O :-O

I saw it at the London Film Festival last year with special guest Harvey Weinstein. I knew it was about the silent era but didn't know it was actually "silent" until a few minutes before the film started - what a treat.

Also, for fans of Alfred Hitchcock Bernard Herman makes an appearance.
  • edited February 2012 Posts: 12,837
    I thought the artist was good and deserved afew awards, but I also thought it was a bit overrated and didn't deserve ALL the awards it got.

I'm pretty dissapointed in this years oscars, mainly because drive was snubbed. If nolan doesn't at least get a nomination for TDKR next year then I'm done with the oscars permenantly.
    Just looked back at who I wanted to win. Got 5 right, and they were all the smaller awards. Huh. I guess I don't have a taste for good film :P

• ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    The Artist is grossly overrated.
    Shardlake wrote:
    The Artist is grossly overrated.

Is it? I loved it. I suppose that's what a lot of people say about a film that's popular.