Chat Thread - Free Discussion

Comments

• DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    @Creasy47 Have you followed Formula 1 since watching the 'Senna' documentary?
  • Last_Rat_StandingLast_Rat_Standing Long Neck Ice Cold Beer Never Broke My Heart
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    It's a shame they lost to the Canucks, but that win streak was impressive and unexpected from Florida. It's still great to see that after all these years (and mullets), Jagr is still a beast.

Honestly, at this point, I don't want them to make the playoffs. They won back in '09 and I believe they've made the playoffs ever since, but for the last three years or so, they've choked hardcore. However, if they're losing this much and taking a while just to find that aforementioned magic, only to find it and slaughter in the playoffs? I'm in. As of right now, though, I'd rather them not make it to the playoffs, just so they can reflect on what went wrong and what changes need to be made, because at this point, it's obvious that the coaching isn't the sole issue. Thankfully, Sullivan has made them a little bit better, especially on the power play.

So you think its better to tank for a year or so and rebuild? I wouldn't be surprised if Malkin or someone similar walks or gets traded for a high round draft pick.

I swear when I woke up this morning and found out that they lost, it almost felt like we lost the Stanley Cup. I couldn't stay up for it since it ended past midnight ET. Never would I thought at the beginning of the season that they'd end up pulling something like that off.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    @DaltonCraig007, sadly, I've never followed Formula One. The only sport I follow is hockey.

@Last_Rat_Standing, Malkin has had some standout moments this year, but again, he's rather unreliable; hot one night and can't do a thing the next, so who knows. I, too, wouldn't be surprised if they got rid of someone like him, or perhaps Letang (before another injury or two takes him out of the sport for good), just for a good pick or two. I also believe having a mid-season coach switch wasn't the best idea, either, but things happen. I think they can find the groove that'll take them back to how they played at the end of the 2000's, but it's going to take some discipline, hard work, lineup changes, and acquisition/removal of new and current players, respectively.

I meant to watch it last night and completely forget. Suppose it's good I didn't stay up that late, just to see them lose it in OT to the Canucks. I have my fingers crossed for fantasy hockey this week; up against my best friend for the third time overall for the week, and after the first night, he's already up 40 points on me, thanks to Ramo giving up five goals, I believe, for the Flames last night; he didn't even hit double digits for me.
  • Last_Rat_StandingLast_Rat_Standing Long Neck Ice Cold Beer Never Broke My Heart
    In that case, I wonder if Ramo will start on Wednesday against the Panthers? We're due for some revenge.
    In that case, I wonder if Ramo will start on Wednesday against the Panthers? We're due for some revenge.

If his performance last night is anything to go off of, you can be damn sure Florida will make quick work of Calgary. Awful performance, giving up five goals on only fourteen shots. No excuse for that. Hell, I think initially he had given up two or three goals on only four or five shots.
    It happens. Is there anyone on the waiver wire to pick up?
    You get four add/drops a week, since each matchup is one week long, but I made a move this morning (to try and even out things tonight, so now I'm only missing a LW, while my friend has a full lineup) and that put me as utilizing three of my four already, so I'm going to save one in case of a worst case scenario. All I can hope for is that I lessen the winning gap he currently has, as being down 40 points only after the first night sucks.
    Yeah well it's only Tuesday. Watch Ramo shut us out tomorrow.
    While I wish your team luck, I do hope that Ramo can manage a healthy amount of points for me tomorrow, as he's the only goalie I have playing. Win or lose, I don't care, I just need him to put up at least 25 points or so. A win would be even better, but comparing his performance last night (which was sort of a fluke; he hasn't performed that horribly in a long time) to the streak that Florida has had lately, I don't see him earning that W.
    Yeah but we're due for our annual "were gonna play horrible and lose 4-5 straight" before the all-star/Olympic break.,
    Yeah but we're due for our annual "were gonna play horrible and lose 4-5 straight" before the all-star/Olympic break.,

The Penguins are well versed in miscellaneous losing streaks and questionable playtime decisions, so I know all about that. Hoping they can perform and get a win tonight.

Malkin is the only center I have playing a game tonight, so let's see if the usual happens: anytime I bench him for someone else, he plays well and gets a lot of points. Any time I seem to play him because I have no other option, he manages to heavily go negative, and at this stage, losing points is the last thing I need. He hasn't done much in a while so let's hope he lights up the scoreboard tonight and manages a goal or an assist or at least one face-off win, since he's awful at those, too.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    Gear change here:
    First snow since I got my VW Jetta, and I have one thing to say: DEATH TO ABS!!
    As a professional driver I can say that the stupid system (as it exists in my VW) increases stopping distance in snow by at least 1/4. I KNOW when to release my brakes- I don't need a badly programmed system to second guess me with a one-way-for-every-sensed-tire-rotation thing going on.
    Tomorrow I disable my ABS (simple fuse pull), but that also disables ESP (which controls power to wheels as road surfaces interfere with traction & all kind of s**t like that & turns your breaking & drive system into that of a normal & less expensive car)- GOOD!!!
    Heysoos Marimba, they gotta justify their jobs by pretending to protect us, eh? ~X(
  • MrcogginsMrcoggins Following in the footsteps of Quentin Quigley.
    chrisisall wrote: »
    Gear change here:
    As a professional driver I can say that the stupid system (as it exists in my VW) increases stopping distance in snow by at least 1/4. I KNOW when to release my brakes- I don't need a badly programmed system to second guess me with a one-way-for-every-sensed-tire-rotation thing going on.
    Tomorrow I disable my ABS (simple fuse pull), but that also disables ESP (which controls power to wheels as road surfaces interfere with traction & all kind of s**t like that & turns your breaking & drive system into that of a normal & less expensive car)- GOOD!!!
    Heysoos Marimba, they gotta justify their jobs by pretending to protect us, eh? ~X(

Can you not just turn off the ESP on you Jetta ? rather than just pulling out the fuse
    The reason that I ask is that by knowingly disabling the system you will leave yourself open to all sorts of problems were you to have an accident in some cases your motor insurance could well be invalid take care !.
    Mrcoggins wrote: »
    Can you not just turn off the ESP on you Jetta ?
    Yeah, but that doesn't turn of the ABS. It's a system made for untrained & inexperienced drivers. For them it works well. For experienced drivers in hampers their ability to control a situation. In short, it makes bad drivers better & good drivers worse. Welcome to the future where there is no need to be exceptional, because they'll devise a system to make us all the same anyway.
    And thanks btw, my research shows that if I were to disable the ABS system and a car swerved over the center line and straight into me it would end up being MY fault for having a known modification to a standardized required safety system on my vehicle.
    F**K it. I'll just accept that I can't use my skill anymore & just let the insurance company deal with it. 8-|
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited January 2016 Posts: 23,883
    Gear change here:
    Which is why I like older cars. Too much electronic garbage in the new ones. It's like driving an appliance I tell you. No feel any more, even in higher priced German fare, and what feel there is happens to be electronically controlled.

I have an old Benz S-Class as a weekend driver so I can remember the better days. It's a certified classic with very low miles on it (and Hagerty insurance), so I'll never drive it hard, but I've always secretly wanted to 'pull a McClane' and yank out the ABS wire/fuse like he did in Die Hard 3 and spin it.
    bondjames wrote: »
    Which is why I like older cars. Too much electronic garbage in the new ones. It's like driving an appliance I tell you.
    Now I *really* miss my old Saturn...
    :((
    Which is why I like older cars. Too much electronic garbage in the new ones. It's like driving an appliance I tell you.
    Now I *really* miss my old Saturn...
    :((
    Speaking of Jetta's, my first car was a second hand/used final model year 1992 Mk2 Jetta 1.8 auto (basically in those days it was a Golf with a boot/trunk & used to look like an old boxy Volvo). I loved that car despite the small engine size. It had the best steering, suspension and road feel of any car I've had since, wind up manual windows, and a superb driving position as well. If I could find a nice low mileage example around, I'd buy it in a flash just for old time's sake.
  • MrcogginsMrcoggins Following in the footsteps of Quentin Quigley.
    I too like older cars my daily drive is a 2001 MB C200k but I also have 1994 VW Corrardo coupe with a 2.9 VR 6 engine thats a great drivers car .
    edited January 2016 Posts: 17,691
    [Speaking of Jetta's, my first car was a second hand/used final model year 1992 Mk2 Jetta 1.8 auto (basically in those days it was a Golf with a boot/trunk & used to look like an old boxy Volvo). I loved that car despite the small engine size. It had the best steering, suspension and road feel of any car I've had since, wind up manual windows, and a superb driving position as well. If I could find a nice low mileage example around, I'd buy it in a flash just for old time's sake.
    I test drove a VW Scirocco back in the 90's for a friend. Best car I ever sat in. I should have told her it was crap & bought it for myself.
    :))
    Mrcoggins wrote: »
    I too like older cars my daily drive is a 2001 MB C200k but I also have 1994 VW Corrardo coupe with a 2.9 VR 6 engine thats a great drivers car .
    I've driven that VW before with the manual transmission. Great car and superb engine too. Old VW's are indeed incredible driver's cars.
    Why is it that the more advanced cars get, the less fun to drive they are? Are they paving the way for driver-free cars like in Demolition Man?
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited January 2016 Posts: 15,691
    Why is it that the more advanced cars get, the less fun to drive they are? Are they paving the way for driver-free cars like in Demolition Man?

I'm dreading the future when automated cars will start appearing on the market. However, there is one thing that interests me: who will be declared responsible when a driver-less car crashes? The company who built the car? The company who will supervise the traffic? The passengers?

I'm dreading the future when automated cars will start appearing on the market. However, there is one thing that interests me: who will be declared responsible when a driver-less car crashes? The company who built the car? The company who will supervise the traffic? The passengers?
    It will all come down to which corporation can make the most money from the incident. 8-|
    Indeed I think they are. I think Google is working on a driverless car. Nokia recently sold its 'mapping' division called 'Here' to a consortium of Mercedes/BMW/Audi who wanted it to head off the internet giant's entry into this space (they didn't want Google dictating mapping data access to them).

Additionally, I think many customers want this sort of thing (we're in the minority) because they're more interested in the car being an 'on the go connected device' for all their tech devices.
    How can you conduct a proper 'evade the bad guy trying to kill you' car chase with a vehicle that 'decides' what's safe?
    What is the world coming to?
    I am very old...
  • SarkSark Guangdong, PRC
    I would happily welcome automated cars. Many thousands fewer people will die on roadways a year.
    Sark wrote: »
    I would happily welcome automated cars. Many thousands fewer people will die on roadways a year.
    Good for commerce. Many thousands fewer people die? Cool. And if it's not true, hey we can work with that. Good business is about spin. Like a record baby. :))
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Automated cars huh? Hmmm. Finally a Car I can sleep in that drives! :))
    edited January 2016 Posts: 17,691
    Car Joke:
    When I die, I want to be in my sleep like my Grandpa, not screaming in terror like all the other people in the car he was driving.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    edited January 2016 Posts: 13,894