Your Bond Collection

Comments

• mattjoesmattjoes Kicking: Impossible
    Agent_99 wrote: »
    As everyone quite rightly suspected, I couldn't resist this from the Royal Mail's Bond collection. It's very nice in real life, on thick paper or card that stands out from the backing for a slight 3D effect.

Mine is #035 of 500, so those are selling well, ahem.

n3206-1-aston-framed-timothy-dalton-print.jpg
    This is just sublime. Really beautiful and stylish. The other prints in the collection (with the other actors) look just as great.

QBranch wrote: »
    Nice Dalton shrine! I take it the man himself is hanging on the opposite wall.
    When he heard of Agent_99's collection, he was quoted as saying: "If it has to be done, I'd rather do it."
  • Agent_47Agent_47 Canada
    Agent_99 wrote: »
    Here's a project that had been sitting on my workbench (kitchen table) for some months before lockdown gave me time to finish it: Bond's Blower Bentley, in 1:24 scale. Kit by Revell.

307923_600.jpg

307536_600.jpg
    307989_600.jpg

That's amazing. I'd never actually bothered to research his Bentley from the novels, after having seen this model I went on a deep dive. Thanks for sharing.
  • Agent_99Agent_99 enjoys a spirited ride as much as the next girl
    mattjoes wrote: »
    QBranch wrote: »
    Nice Dalton shrine! I take it the man himself is hanging on the opposite wall.
    When he heard of Agent_99's collection, he was quoted as saying: "If it has to be done, I'd rather do it."

:D

Thanks for the kind comments on the car, @NickTwentyTwo and @Agent_47! It's been suggested I need a driver, so I've been checking out 1:24 scale miniatures trying to decide which one looks most like Bond...
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    This maybe weird, but something about the hood being held down with leather straps screams cool to me, lol.
    No, you're right! There's something pleasingly physical and basic about how it all fits together. I can see why Bond liked his.
    Bought the James Bond stamps for my niece's birthday. Just received them. But I'm really tempted to keep them for myself. But given the current situation, I won't.
  • Max_The_ParrotMax_The_Parrot ATAC to St Cyril’s
    edited April 2020 Posts: 2,426
    Excellent work @Agent_99 ! 👍

I’m not a stamp or coin person myself but I must admit the latest Royal Mail Bond stamps look absolutely fabulous. Are they as good as they look on-screen in real life @Gerard @Agent_99, would you say? If so I may be tempted. Which version did you get?
    Yes they are. And I got the "Presentation Pack, with the six stamps, and the Q Branch sheet. My niece will certainly be happy.
    Even better in real life, I'd say - lovely quality and detail.

I got a first day cover because it's a nice unique keepsake with your name and address on, though according to my mum the stamp collector they don't increase in value (like I care).
    Thanks both, I’m always easily tempted, just popping online! 😝 Hope your niece has a great birthday @Gerard 🎂👍
    https://therake.com/larusmiani-sycamore-wood-royale-les-eaux-poker-set.html

Not in my collection, but an interestingly named, extravagant sycamore poker set!
    Does it make sense to buy new reissued soundtracks on vinyl as they are not expanded (except DN) and I have all on CDs but have a turntable as well? :) Is the sound quality noticeable in favor of LP?
    Qba007 wrote: »
    Does it make sense to buy new reissued soundtracks on vinyl as they are not expanded (except DN) and I have all on CDs but have a turntable as well? :) Is the sound quality noticeable in favor of LP?

If you're referring to the recent represses form the past few years then no. They seem to be digitally sourced and there is no information as to their mastering outside of being made by Capitol. There are newer hires versions of the LP versions of those scores on hires audio sites for purchase but I'm not sure if they are the source used for the new LPs. I've wondered what these new presses are like but the high cost and probability of them being pointless has kept me away. HDTracks has some up for sale in 24/192 quality.

For the Bond scores the 2003 remaster CD series is largely the best you can do for each score unless you want to track down clean original LP pressings and have a great turntable setup. They can sound quite wonderful for their era and some are downright great-but only with a very good table and cart will they equal or outdo the 2003 CDs. The further back you go the more difficult it is to find clean copies.

The vinyl editions that most surpass their 2003 CD counterparts are the non-expanded ones like TMWTGG, TSWLM, MR, OP. All of those sound a bit warmer and more lively than the '03 discs. Something went wrong on the 2003 AVTAK and it sounds terrible. For that one the US original LP is phenomenal and there is a rare early Japanese CD release.

Most of the original LPs sounds excellent and are of their time often with a different sound signature than the remastered releases. If you have a good setup I think it's important for fans to track down DN-LTK at least to try for themselves-plus the first five also had mono editions. I'm now after UK presses to check out against the US ones.

The one absolutely necessary to have on LP is the original US Colgems release of CR67. It is a reference recording in sound quality and is a sublime release. The master tape was later damaged making the original LP still the best way to hear it. They now go for high dollar amounts in audiophile circles as it is very difficult to get a clean original 1967 stereo pressing. On CD, Quartet Records made a recent second attempt on an anniversary reissue and got the closest I've ever heard to my original 1967 copy.
  • edited April 2020 Posts: 87
    Thanks @hegottheboot, I really appreciate your expertise in album releases!
    For the Bond scores the 2003 remaster CD series is largely the best you can do for each score unless you want to track down clean original LP pressings and have a great turntable setup. They can sound quite wonderful for their era and some are downright great-but only with a very good table and cart will they equal or outdo the 2003 CDs. The further back you go the more difficult it is to find clean copies.

Initially, I planned not to buy vinyls if I have the music on CD. But now feel I should make an exception for Bond and some John Barry albums. I will definitely buy The Best Of Bond... James Bond 3LP ( have three latest on CDs) and NTTD on vinyl this year. But from earlier Bonds, I would like to have something too.

If it is not worth buying the latest Capitol LP releases - the music doesn't came from the original analogue recordings but from the digital versions - then I am looking for earlier labels like UA (audiophileusa.com, cdandlp, ebay, discogs.com, eil.com, ...). I'm afraid to buy used ones. Although I can also find LP with label UA , unused and even sealed.

I don't have a high-end turntable but it is not the cheapest model either. If I don't hear the difference between CD and LP, I will consider listening to LP as a pure snobbery or a fan's duty.
    The vinyl editions that most surpass their 2003 CD counterparts are the non-expanded ones like TMWTGG, TSWLM, MR, OP. All of those sound a bit warmer and more lively than the '03 discs. Something went wrong on the 2003 AVTAK and it sounds terrible. For that one the US original LP is phenomenal and there is a rare early Japanese CD release.

Yes, 2003 AVTAK's remastering seems to be overdone. Is there a significant difference between AVTAK LP's labes: Parlophone, EMI, Capitol, or between LP labels from 60s and 70s of first Bonds?
    The one absolutely necessary to have on LP is the original US Colgems release of CR67. It is a reference recording in sound quality and is a sublime release. The master tape was later damaged making the original LP still the best way to hear it. They now go for high dollar amounts in audiophile circles as it is very difficult to get a clean original 1967 stereo pressing. On CD, Quartet Records made a recent second attempt on an anniversary reissue and got the closest I've ever heard to my original 1967 copy.

I am not a fan of CR67 movie and music.

The LP and shipping costs are quite high. I need to sleep on it ...
    Just ordered the navy blue Riviera Polo from Sunspel yesterday, should arrive on Thursday the 30th. Looking forward to it!
    Just ordered the navy blue Riviera Polo from Sunspel yesterday, should arrive on Thursday the 30th. Looking forward to it!

Very nice! Hope you can wear it out and about before too long!
  • BMW_with_missilesBMW_with_missiles All the usual refinements.
    edited May 2020 Posts: 3,000
    I’ve recently treated myself to what I consider the crow jewel of my Bond collection; Brosnan’s 7 series from TND. Mine is a 740il, but so was the one in the film as it was just rebadged as a 750. Plus, the fuel economy of my V8 is much more reasonable for daily driving than the V12 would be. Mine is also a few years newer, with updates like xenon headlights, but it’s still the same E38 generation as the one in TND.

S1inFvp_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&fidelity=medium

Ge7g6og_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&fidelity=medium

du5ttzt_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&fidelity=medium

bRT9i5k_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&fidelity=medium

A glamour shot edited by @PropertyOfALady
    imsAa2r_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&fidelity=medium
    edited May 2020 Posts: 7,526
    Awesome! Congrats on your Bond car! I’m doing a Bond film marathon and am just about to finish TWINE, fun to revisit the glory of Brosnan’s BMW era. :P

Enjoy your BMW With Missiles, @BMW_with_missiles !
  • Agent_47Agent_47 Canada
    I’ve recently treated myself to what I consider the crow jewel of my Bond collection; Brosnan’s 7 series from TND. Mine is a 740il, but so was the one in the film as it was just rebadged as a 750. Plus, the fuel economy of my V8 is much more reasonable for daily driving than the V12 would be. Mine is also a few years newer, with updates like xenon headlights, but it’s still the same E38 generation as the one in TND.

As a fellow Brosnan era fan, that car better have some optional extras installed... and six beverage cup holders.

Great stuff.
    Boys with toys :) Sweet ride, @BMW_with_missiles - enjoy!
    edited May 2020 Posts: 3,000
    Thanks guys! I’m super excited about it.
    Agent_47 wrote: »

As a fellow Brosnan era fan, that car better have some optional extras installed... and six beverage cup holders.

Great stuff.

@Agent_47 It actually has the worst cup holders that mankind has ever devised. Upgraded cup holders will be the first optional extra that I install. ;)
    Very cool! The closest I've come was sitting in one of the special GE editions of the Z3 which a neighbor had while I was growing up. It was pretty much a standard Z3 but in the ksy blue color and had some 007 logos in certain places.
    Qba007 wrote: »
    Thanks @hegottheboot, I really appreciate your expertise in album releases!

Initially, I planned not to buy vinyls if I have the music on CD. But now feel I should make an exception for Bond and some John Barry albums. I will definitely buy The Best Of Bond... James Bond 3LP ( have three latest on CDs) and NTTD on vinyl this year. But from earlier Bonds, I would like to have something too.

If it is not worth buying the latest Capitol LP releases - the music doesn't came from the original analogue recordings but from the digital versions - then I am looking for earlier labels like UA (audiophileusa.com, cdandlp, ebay, discogs.com, eil.com, ...). I'm afraid to buy used ones. Although I can also find LP with label UA , unused and even sealed.

I don't have a high-end turntable but it is not the cheapest model either. If I don't hear the difference between CD and LP, I will consider listening to LP as a pure snobbery or a fan's duty.

Yes, 2003 AVTAK's remastering seems to be overdone. Is there a significant difference between AVTAK LP's labes: Parlophone, EMI, Capitol, or between LP labels from 60s and 70s of first Bonds?

I am not a fan of CR67 movie and music.

The LP and shipping costs are quite high. I need to sleep on it ...

Not a problem at all! It took me years to figure all this stuff out. I didn't know they were doing a new Best of Bond set nor that it would be 3LPs but I'm pretty sure it will just be another repackaging job like they do every time. Unfortunately every release after 1992 takes the masters of the 1992 30th anniversary 2 CD set and just redoes them and adds more and more loudness compression-plus it's only the title songs with new ones added for later discs. I grew up with the 1998 US CD and when I finally got the rare 1992 deluxe 2 cd set (they sold 1 disc versions which are more common) I couldn't get over how much better the tracks sounded because they didn't have the loudness compression on them. The second disc of the 92 set is essential because it's the only place to get both vocals of MKKBB, the GF and YOLT demos and has great versions of other tracks and was the first time extra music from TB was ever released which arguably sounds better than the 2003 CD.
    https://www.discogs.com/Various-The-Best-Of-James-Bond/release/2497247

Some dislike the 1992 sound for the title themes but it's a darn sight better than the continual reissues that just make it sound lesser and lesser. The 2002 version was worse than the 1998, the 2012 worse than the 2002 and so on. I'd like to pick up the original 1980's 13 greatest hits CD some audiophiles like which is a reissue of the main USA vinyl theme compilation and is really great. However I think it's outdone by the slightly earlier UK LP from 1982, James Bond's Greatest Hits. https://www.discogs.com/Various-James-Bond-Greatest-Hits/release/1226347
    This is an amazing LP and the tracks are the title themes through FYEO and some random extra selections. The sound quality is phenomenal and was mastered by Harry T. Moss who also did many late period Beatles reissues adored by many audiophiles. This is my go to recommendation for Bond fans who wants the best starter LP of themes. The US 13 track version is easier to get in the USA and also sounds great.

The LP releases tend to stay the same across labels but the later the reissue the bigger the chances are that hey wore out stampers or used lesser copy tapes etc. That being said the ones I've had all sound great. UA reissued them through the 70's and then switched to Liberty doing reissues in the 80's. The later reissues typically are much easier to find in clean shape than 60's originals.

Ultimately I'd say just get what's available and affordable and start small. That's what I did. If you like what you uncover then ebay and discogs will be your next port of call to track down the harder to obtain ones. I sitll need to fill the gaps in my collections. I'm missing the 2003 CDs of DN and GE, and original US mono DN, YOLT. I need to get a replacement stereo TB as mine is pretty trashed but most copies I find are no better.

I will say that even if you don't like the CR67 score the stereo original LP is still worth it. If you've never heard a copy you will be blown away. IT SOUNDS THAT GOOD!

I'd love to get all of Barry's scores on both LP and CD. I have a number but some are difficult to get or out of print. There's a number of compilations as well with Barry doing specific re-recordings of Bond tracks.
    The essential one to get though is the 1965 original USA stereo pressing of THE IPCRESS FILE which is a warm and incredible presentation and beats both the mono and UK original which was mono only. (I have all three.) I think it sounds better than even the CD editions and is very common for sale at $10 or so.

Very cool! The closest I've come was sitting in one of the special GE editions of the Z3 which a neighbor had while I was growing up. It was pretty much a standard Z3 but in the ksy blue color and had some 007 logos in certain places.

I wasn’t aware of a Goldeneye edition. That’s so cool!
  • edited May 2020 Posts: 87
    @hegottheboot_ Have received Thunderball UAL 4132 B mono, sealed - most likely never played, my first James Bond and John Barry LP! :)
    As I see some sellers collect LPs in the hope that in the future they will sell with higher price but I opened to listen to this marvelous music, not just to have.

Have also ordered La-La Land Records 2CD expanded TWINE and DAD plus Dances with Wolves. Hope they will release older expanded Bonds in the near future.

I am hunting for others Bond LPs ...
    I'm missing the 2003 CDs of DN and GE, and original US mono DN, YOLT. I need to get a replacement stereo TB as mine is pretty trashed but most copies I find are no better.
    Have founded brand new CDs:
    DN:
    https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=Dr.+No&_sacat=176984&LH_TitleDesc=0&rt=nc&LH_ItemCondition=1000
    GE:
    https://www.ebay.com/sch/176984/i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=goldeneye&LH_ItemCondition=3
    Another Bond modelling project. This is my thing now.

EXpzWdpXQAEtCSO.jpg

EXpzWduXkAAWAd5.jpg
    the-living-daylights-146.png?w=590&h=368

(The helicopter is an interesting one; it belonged to the Argentine army aviation unit, was captured during the Falklands War and registered in the UK as G-HUEY. I believe it still flies. It had the medevac livery before TLD, so I guess they created the Red Cross ruse to make use of it?)
    Very nice, Agent_99!
    Didnt the film makers get into trouble for using the Red Cross symbol, if I recall?
    Thanks, @Mathis1! I think you're right - definitely read that somewhere.
    So talented @Agent_99!
    Looking at the photo, I really need to straighten those letters out a bit! I am keen to further my collection now I've got started, though.