Quick Big Mi6 Pre-title sequence ranking game

Comments

• ProfJoeButcherProfJoeButcher Bless your heart
    Not surprisingly, I gave it the silver. I enjoy the atmosphere generally, the tracking shot, and footchase all quite a bit. I also like the intrigue as to what these mysterious baddies are all up to, sort of how I feel about LALD.

The helicopter stuff is all good enough, but not if taken to be any kind of megastunt. But I don't understand why they didn't show the entire flip in the film. I think it was in the trailer...

I suspect it ranked as low as it did because of the relationship between Bond and Blofeld!
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    @ProfJoeButcher, they definitely showed the full flip in either one of the marketing videos and/or the trailer, so agreed, a bit disappointing we don't get the full thing in the film itself.
  • goldenswissroyalegoldenswissroyale Switzerland
    I didn't expect such a low ranking for SP. I ranked it as 12th.
    The parade is awesome. The best bit of the PTS is when Bond follows Sciarra after the explosion through all these people in costumes, especially the bit with the women who seem to "float" (on wheels?) over the street.
    It's a great setting for a PTS.
    The helicopter action is good, mainly due to the danger with all the people down there. However, it is true that the action could somehow be even better. It doesn't look real at some points and it is an interesting point that a "hook" is somehow missing (as mentioned by someone else).
    The CGI destruction of the house looks good but it is still obviously CGI and therefore a (tiny) minus point.
    I like the coach gag ;)

I see the point that the PTS could have more tension (a problem of SP in general).
    However, Craig Bond walking over the rooftops is a highlight for me. This man knows how to be stylish, even walking is enough to show that.

• mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited November 2023 Posts: 15,221
    peter wrote: »
    I think it was my 16th...

It has all the elements, for me, to make a great PTS, but it's not (IMO, not trying to be contrarian to others), but there is something I feel off about it. Perhaps the pacing? That although there is this "one-shot" trick, and it seems like everything is moving forward, it still feel lumbering to me.

When I break it up into little chunks, I can't but help but admit that I love the idea of the parade, LOVE Bond in a skeleton mask and costume, love the quick change in the room, and love the idea of him walking across the rooftops; I'm all in on him on an "assignment" to kill Sciarra, and the fight in a contained space like a helicopter is music to my ears.

But as a whole, it just doesn't "click" for me. I don't know why......

That's kind of a microcosm for how I feel about the whole film: lots of good bits and nice moments, but it doesn't cohere into one good film.
    007HallY wrote: »
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    Birdleson wrote: »
    23 for me as well ( @Creasy47 and I are matching up a lot). It works on paper, but form the start it felt off to me. I do not like the way Craig played it, and the color palette throws me.

We are! And yes, failed to mention the color palette too. The cinematography as a whole in the film is very off-putting to me, and I'll personally never understand those who champion it as one of the best looking installments of the series.

@peter, I saw a couple reviews right before the film released in the States that seemed to suggest it was one of the better tracking shots they ever saw, which had me very excited, but not only is it not a true tracking shot (not that I have an issue with sly cutting and editing if it's an impressive enough sequence), but it's just Bond walking about and nothing more. Doesn't impress me.
    That and I suspect they wanted to recreate the magic of SF’s cinematography but went about it in the wrong way (I don’t think Deakins would have been a fan of the long take).

He must've hated shooting 1917 then! :))
    Oof, that couch gag always stands out to me because Craig looks like he's about to pop out of his suit with how tight it is.
    Oof, that couch gag always stands out to me because Craig looks like he's about to pop out of his suit with how tight it is.

I actually enjoyed that moment in my first viewing.
  • GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà
    Moving into the top 15 with:

THE WORLD IS NOT ENOUGH (1999)
    featuring well-rounded figures.

FOTOBUSTA-5-007-BOND-IL-MONDO-NON-BASTA.webp

TWINE received one silver medal, and additionally also obtained five other top 10 spots, all of which landed between 6th and 10th.

Three members, however, rated it outside the top 20, with even one penultimate ranking, which was also its worst placement.

TWINE collected 97 points in total.
  • R1s1ngs0nR1s1ngs0n France
    I do like the last shot of Bond before the title credits, but otherwise I find this to be an overlong and not very exciting sequence.
    #24 for me.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    It's the best part of the film for me, especially the Bilbao scenes, which should have ended with the OT (and the Thames chase could have followed next). Still, I think TWINE opens with a lot of fun. I'm the sucker who had the PTS at number 6.
    No. 20 for me!
    Yes, tediously long, the Q boat was a cool looking vehicle, but the sequence just goes on and on and on, with little excitement, and its always a little disconcerting for me to hear "Cheerful Charlie Chisolm" speaking with a French accent! (Fans of 'Minder' will know what I'm talking about! 😉)
    edited November 2023 Posts: 4,404
    My no. 10.
    The boat chase always fascinated me as a teenager and I still have a very good time with it. Bond driving through a restaurant with a boat is nuts and I love it.
    The stunt in Bilbao is also cool, Brosnan shines there.
    Bond falling on the roof, grabbing some ropes and the titles starts: another highlight for me.
    By far the best part of the movie.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    edited November 2023 Posts: 8,763
    My 17th.

Although I do like the escape from the office, enough, everything leading up to it seemed painfully awkward somehow. The lines. The delivery.

And there was no rhythm. It was plodding along for such a short interaction.

Then we have the scene with M which plants some exposition, but further seems as if the scenes are moving at a glacial speed.

Bond running through MI6 and yelling, well, I wasn't on board with that, and then--

The boat chase on the Thames and on the roads (and through the restaurant)....

Sort of like the Spectre, this PTS had elements to make it one of the better ones, and it probably looked good on the page. But the flatness in execution killed this one for me.

Not one of the worst, but not as slick and energetic as it should have been (like the previous film's PTS)
    What a shame, it's easily one of the strongest bits of the whole film and one of the finest, longer PTSs in the series for me. I also had it in 6th place.
    That’s not a bad ranking IMO. I think it’s a fine PTS but does have pacing issues. Certainly it is one of the best parts of the movie still. Not much else to say here except I think it’s good but I happen to prefer many others.
    edited November 2023 Posts: 6,815
    For me the Bilbao scene is one of Brosnan's best. The M scene does bring it to a halt a bit, but the boat chase is certainly spectacular.

Also, on a rather subjective note, the Cigar Girl is stunningly beautiful.
    GoldenGun wrote: »
    For me the Bilbao scene is one of Brosnan's best. The M scene does bring it to a halt a bit, but the boat chase is certainly spectacular.

Also, on a rather subjective note, the Cigar Girl is stunningly beautiful.

Indeed. True. Yeah. Oh, YESSS...
    #12 for me, right in the middle of the pack.
  • ProfJoeButcherProfJoeButcher Bless your heart
    I had it at #23. Had they just done the Bilbao stuff, it'd have been quite a bit higher, but it's just much too obvious that it isn't constructed to be a PTS and they just put a big chunk of the film before the titles.
  • SIS_HQSIS_HQ At the Vauxhall Headquarters
    #2 for me, I think it's an action packed and fun scene, but again, it's been a while since I've done that ranking, and it might've changed now, because on my recent viewings I found the boat chase to be a bit overlong (although not as dreadful as the one in LALD), but still, could've been shorter.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited November 2023 Posts: 15,221
    It's hard watching that opening scene in the boring, cramped little office and trying to remember that this is a Bond film. And why aren’t they in Switzerland?! There's no style to it at all, and the script is horrible. The boat chase is overlong and episodic... I dunno, it's all fun, but compared to the others it's not a great PTS.
    At number 14, the action is set in the same city as our previous reveal's finale:

SKYFALL (2012)
    featuring VW Beetles.

tumblr_n52gymxbk81qkcj94o1_r1_1280.jpg

Two silver medals were obtained by this one. On top of that, one more top 5 and five more top 10's were counted.

At the other end of the spectrum, SF stranded in the bottom 5 on three occasions, two of which were penultimate places.

In total SF acquired 99 points.
  • R1s1ngs0nR1s1ngs0n France
    Have it at #18. Not bad, but nothing to write home about.
    Yeh, 16 for me! The part with the digger on the train was excellent, but the rest is only ok! The part with the motorcycles I expected more! Hate that opening music cue that intros Bond, and it still bugs me that Patrice was waiting to get chased!!!
    I didn't see this coming at all. SF weaker than OP? I hardly disagree.
    The car action in the beginning is maybe a bit too slow but the rest is very good (imo). It has an interesting start in the house, where we don't know where we are. The motorcycles on the roof, the bridge jump, the digger, the dramatic finale and how it leads to the titles: great stuff in my book and my #7.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    It was my number two... I loved the way it went from foot to car to motorcycle to train.... Thought it was unique with a great ending of receiving friendly fire from Eve...
    Surprised it’s ranked that low and alongside TWINE (they’re very similar in the sense that they involve Bond getting injured).

Anyway, SF’s one of my favourites. The opening shot’s brilliant, there’s a great variety of tone (it’s pretty seamless seeing Bond having to confront a dying fellow agent, then see him doing up his cuffs after jumping on the train). The action too improves upon QOS (no rapid, hard to follow editing or camerawork. There’s just a naturalness to it, and as mentioned above it has a nice order in terms of how it starts out on foot and ends on the train). I remember watching it for the first time as well and finding the build up to Bond getting shot genuinely tense and him going into the river shocking.
    #24 for me. It's typically one of the worst parts of the film for me, and where the choreography and action and all of it just feels so stiff and over-directed, like there's no fluidity or spontaneity to the movement. I guess it looks nice - the opening shots of Bond are outstanding (though not having the gunbarrel here is bizarre) though. I dig a few of the bike shots (sans the horrid CGI/mask usage/whatever's going on during those close-ups) and I will admit one of the coolest Bondian shots is when 007 lands in the train and adjusts his cuffs. Beyond that, a bad start to one of my least favorite installments of the entire series.
    (...) , a bad start to one of my least favorite installments of the entire series.

My feelings exactly. Came in 24th for me as well.

GoldenGun wrote: »
    (...) , a bad start to one of my least favorite installments of the entire series.

My feelings exactly. Came in 24th for me as well.

It's also one area where I'd rate SP above it, though not by much.
  • edited January 22 Posts: 2,161
    I have it at #5.