Quick Big Mi6 Pre-title sequence ranking game

Comments

• edited October 2023 Posts: 2,161
    #17 for me. In the theatre, the double-whammy of Tracy's grave and Blofeld sent me out of my head, but then it turned out to be more or less a goof. I still enjoy it, but it could have been more.
  • GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà
    18th in my ranking. Quite like Bond visiting Tracy's grave, the stunts are great too, and I love that funky music that goes with it.

Not my favourite though, it's a bit too okayish for that, but it does get the job done for me.
  • goldenswissroyalegoldenswissroyale Switzerland
    FYEO PTS is #11in my ranking. I understand some of the negative points like the odd "delikatessen" stuff and especially the not really attractive location. Even the river looks dirty...

But I like the beginning and love the stunt work. Also the moment where the helicopter is flying in the factory is great trickery.
    FYEO PTS is #11in my ranking. I understand some of the negative points like the odd "delikatessen" stuff and especially the not really attractive location. Even the river looks dirty...

But I like the beginning and love the stunt work. Also the moment where the helicopter is flying in the factory is great trickery.

Agreed. Derek Meddings and his team built a full size mock up of a helicopter I believe, and mounted it on a rail so they could get some good close ups, and theres a foreground miniature set i reckon.
    Regarding the not so attractive location, it is a old gasworks station, I think it was quite a spectacular backdrop, and as you state, the stunt work is great. That's the legendary Martin Grace doubling for Rog!
    Next up, our first entry from the Pierce era, at 18 there's:

DIE ANOTHER DAY (2002)
    featuring Mr. Van Bierk's sunglasses.

tumblr_neatke7iHe1qkcj94o1_1280.jpg

So up next one of DAD's best rankings in these games, perhaps its best but I didn't check.

Three times DAD ended up in someone's top 10, and on all occasions it was ranked 10th.

Another eight members ranked it between 11th and 15th, and only one participant rated it outside the top 20, giving it a 22nd place as its worst ranking.

Not bad at all for DAD, clocking in at a total of 92 points.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    I think it’s number 15 on my list.

Compared to the rest of the film, this PTS is consistent in tone, has a clear point to it and Brosnan’s quite good, especially as the firing squad line him up…
  • R1s1ngs0nR1s1ngs0n France
    #19 for me, the highest ranked Brosnan PTS on my list. Nothing much to add, it’s serviceable and only slightly more engaging than the other PTSs of his terrible tenure.
    I often hear that when people watch DAD it tends to go downhill for them at ‘some point after the PTS’. The opening is actually quite interesting with Bond getting captured. For me it points to one of the issues with DAD - there is, at it’s core, ideas for a solid and arguably darker entry in the series, but it’s entangled in a film with invisible cars, Korean generals posing as white playboy billionaires, diamond powered laser satellites etc.

Weird CGI bullet aside (which I guess is more of a gun barrel issue) it’s a pretty cool opening.
  • edited October 2023 Posts: 6,867
    That 22nd placing is me, I'm not ashamed to admit! Oh, it starts off ok. The surfing segment is done very well, love how each of the agents appear one by one. After that it goes rapidly downhill! Why was it necessary to have Bond dress the same as Van Bierk?, were Moon and Co. going to recognise him by his outfit!? , Lame jokes,"Dont blow it all at once", another of Vic Armstrongs lousy action sequences, and ending with Brossas requisite pain face up close, and underwater this time! Pretty dire in my book, pretty much in keeping with the rest of the film!
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    I have it at 14.
    There’s really not a lot too complain about. Maybe some dodgy green screen shots.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    The Green screen is a distraction. Everything else is pretty cool. I really love the surfing at the start. First one surfer, then three. Well done.
    I've got to admit, and I may have already hinted at it in the past, but even though DAD is an absurd film, I have a soft spot for it.

Having said that, I think the PTS is solid. Ranked it 10th myself. Extra points for giving me those first Bond minutes on the big screen back in 2002.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    I had this at #11 myself. The PTS is one of the stronger elements of DAD - that incredible surfing sequence, Bond in North Korea in general, the escape from Moon's compound, hovercraft chases, the usage of mines and flamethrowers. I'll never forget seeing it in theaters opening night in 2002 and being wowed by every minute of it.
  • DwayneDwayne New York City
    The PTS for DAD fell just outside of my top 10 (at #13). All in all, it's slightly better than average IMO. If only the rest of the film could have been like that!

@GoldenGun As for DAD's rankings in our other games, my records show:

Film: 24
    Girl: 25 (Jinx/Halle Berry)
    Villian: 26 (Gustav Graves/Toby Stephens
    Music Score: 18 (David Arnold)
    Title Track: 25 (Madonna)
    Title Sequence: 16 (David Kleinman
  • SIS_HQSIS_HQ At the Vauxhall Headquarters
    #10 for me, for me this is where the Brosnan Era really stands out, all of his Pre-Title Sequences were all great, fun, action packed and memorable.

Die Another Day for me is such a promising start to a Bond film (seeing Bond tackling the issues of North Korea; particularly the communism is really interesting and unique, it doesn't need to be Russia always), had the film just made consistent as the PTS.

I liked it so much that it has sneaked into my Top Ten, it's got action and danger, especially the torture scenes transitioning into the title sequence (another missed opportunity as it's ruined by Madonna's theme song), but I liked that Bond got to do teamwork,showing him working with the other 00s, and there's him disguising as a diamond smuggler, it's almost great.

I also liked the action, though Bond machine gunning those North Korea soldiers might compromise England and would give North Korea a solid reason to declare a war against England for attacking their camp and killing their soldiers, I wished that was explored more into the film regarding Colonel Moon/Gustav Graves' influence and his protection that the North Korean Government had given him, so if Bond killed him, there would be a war between UK and North Korea.

Interesting concept in an otherwise a film with too many missed opportunities.
    #11 for me, I think it’s great.
  • edited October 2023 Posts: 12,287
    “That’ll teach you to lecture me!”
  • goldenswissroyalegoldenswissroyale Switzerland
    edited October 2023 Posts: 4,401
    FoxRox wrote: »
    “That’ll teach you to lecture me!”

I love the introduction of the villain.
    The surf intro doesn't feel like something Bond would do (imo) but I admit that it is cool how they start with one surfer and suddenly the others are also there.
    The build-up to the action is good. We can feel the tension when Bond meets Moon and Zao. The action is creative (hoverboards and land mines) but the green screen and the odd colour grading takes me out of the movie several times.
    I like the last moment of the PTS and how the torture goes on in the titles.
    I ranked it #19 but it could also be a bit higher.
    Moving onwards with our number 17:

THUNDERBALL (1965)
    featuring a jetpack!

872cc185d1d3c493d637a039cdc787ea.jpg

One 4th place, two 8th places and one 9th place were TB's best rankings.

At the other end of the spectrum, there was one 21st and one 23rd place.

It's safe to say that most members ranked it in the middle and that is also where it stranded in this contest.

TB obtained 92 points, same as DAD but with one top 5 spot more it won the 17th place play-off.
  • R1s1ngs0nR1s1ngs0n France
    #8 for me. It's ludicrous, yet so enjoyable. And Bond throwing some flowers over Bouvar's dead body must be one of my favorite Connery moments.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    Oof, this was number four on my list. TB was the first Bond film that I saw (on network tv), and I've loved this PTS since the moment I laid eyes on this cool customer who slugged out a "widow" and escaped a French chalet via a conviniently planted jet pack!
    Yeah, I must admit this one doesn’t do much for me. The jet pack in theory should be a part of a much bigger/more elaborate sequence, but feels a bit underwhelming as it is. Maybe I haven’t watched the film in a while but I’m not entirely sure why Bouvar needs to disguise himself as his widow.

I think the idea of Bond getting injured during a PTS was done much better in subsequent films.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    This one's 17 for me too. I enjoy the opening and the fight but the escape is so poorly executed for me that it sort of hampers what came before. It's okay, but nothing special.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    007HallY wrote: »
    Yeah, I must admit this one doesn’t do much for me. The jet pack in theory should be a part of a much bigger/more elaborate sequence, but feels a bit underwhelming as it is. Maybe I haven’t watched the film in a while but I’m not entirely sure why Bouvar needs to disguise himself as his widow.

I think the idea of Bond getting injured during a PTS was done much better in subsequent films.

Does he get injured in this one?

I agree that it's a bit underwhelming; somehow there's not much of a hook to this one and a lot of the ideas feel a bit half-baked. Like the JB initials on the coffin- are we meant to think Bond is dead before the film has even started? But they don't even really try to make us think that so I'm not sure why it's there. You're right about it not making sense either- not only is it weird that Bouvar is in disguise, but why is he there at all?
    And the amazing Aston Martin gets the slight indignity of being shown not to start- if I were Aston lending them a car I'd be a bit put out by that! :)

The jetpack annoys me a bit as well. It's the one cool gadget Bond has in the film, but it's not deployed in a cool way- all he uses it for is in lieu of a staircase or a ladder(!). Maybe if they'd been in a chateau with a moat and locked the place down so 007 would have no way out, then using a jetpack to get over the moat would feel a bit more daring, I think. Also: land it in the back of a moving car :D
    mtm wrote: »

I agree that it's a bit underwhelming; somehow there's not much of a hook to this one and a lot of the ideas feel a bit half-baked. Like the JB initials on the coffin- are we meant to think Bond is dead before the film has even started? But they don't even really try to make us think that so I'm not sure why it's there. You're right about it not making sense either- not only is it weird that Bouvar is in disguise, but why is he there at all?
    And the amazing Aston Martin gets the slight indignity of being shown not to start- if I were Aston lending them a car I'd be a bit put out by that! :)

The jetpack annoys me a bit as well. It's the one cool gadget Bond has in the film, but it's not deployed in a cool way- all he uses it for is in lieu of a staircase or a ladder(!). Maybe if they'd been in a chateau with a moat and locked the place down so 007 would have no way out, then using a jetpack to get over the moat would feel a bit more daring, I think. Also: land it in the back of a moving car :D

From what I recall he gets whacked with the fire poker in the ribs and it’s implied his stay at Shrublands is partly because of his injuries.

Yes, there’s also the weird JB initials on the coffin. As I said in regards to YOLT Bond’s supposed ‘death’ seemed to be a recurring idea during these early PTS’s. But otherwise I’ve always found it a bit difficult to follow considering it makes no sense (of course plot holes are not unusual for Bond and it might well just be a case where I personally notice how contrived this particular scenario is). Otherwise agree, the finale of the PTS feels like it should be bigger in some way.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    I ranked this one pretty low. My biggest issue is what happens during the final minute or so of the PTS.
    How did Bond get the jetpack there?
    Why were the thugs so slow to catch up with him?
    Why was the shooter not even trying to aim when firing at Bond?
    What water supply is the AM taking all those gallons of H2O from?
    Why don't we at least see Bond drive away before the OT start rolling?
    I get the joke. I just don't think it's well executed.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom

From what I recall he gets whacked with the fire poker in the ribs and it’s implied his stay at Shrublands is partly because of his injuries.

Interesting, I’d not put that together before, I’ll keep an eye out for that next time!
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    I have it at 13th, I can understand why it's finished where it has. But for the time it would've been very impressive. An actual jet pack and not in a space or sci-fi film. It also benefits from not being overly long, something later films have used a little too often.

Interesting, I’d not put that together before, I’ll keep an eye out for that next time!

You must be slipping @mtm, Bond even mentions to Patricia about the 'widow' and how he got the bruise. Unlike you not to be at the top of your game. ;)
    I placed TB at 12. Agree that its nice and brief, I've always been a fan of Bob Simmons use of props in fight sequences, and he gets to appear here as the not so merry Widow! The jet pack?, well we can blame GF and peoples delight at the Aston, so more gadgets were on the cards. Its just not done very well, and Bond looks distinctly uncool in that helmet ( but apparently the guy doubling and actually flying the jet pack refused to do it without one!) Agree also about the amount of water you need in the car to have powerhoused the villains, but it is a nice fade into the titles, which is always a bonus in my book!
    edited October 2023 Posts: 6,805
    Came in 15th for me. Nice and brief, good score as well. Personally I like both the jetpack and the water canons, perhaps neither of them survive some scrutiny, but I like them nonetheless.