The Great Bond Geoguesser Game

Comments

• zebrafishzebrafish <°)))< in Octopussy's garden in the shade
    Cool, at that size it looks like a photo! I also found this:
    boodles.jpg
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    They should totally film there in the next era. At least the exterior.
    If I may, the next screenshot from Google Earth should be a bit more challenging.
    Have a go at this location from a film:

i8qfqqH.jpg
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    Looks like Tuscany or thereabouts.
    Lucia's house in Spectre.
    And Lucia's house in Spectre it is!
    The Villa de Fiorano close to Rome. Well done, this audience is not easily fooled.
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    Brilliant, @QBranch. And good selection, @zebrafish.
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    edited November 2022 Posts: 7,526
    Great rounds, guesses, and information all. My mind first ran to "Quarterdeck" when I saw Lucia's home. Loved these scenes in Spectre.
    It may all be completely trivial, not necessary for survival, and the rest of the world won't give a [insert expletive], but I love the learning experience with this game.
    edited November 2022 Posts: 13,905
    Cheers, I can't add an image from my phone, so I'll pass the round on to you folks.

That is an excellent scene though. All of it.
    PM'd you @QBranch
    This is @QBranch's round so he'll be responsible for the clues, but here's the image we landed on:

317503219_481398754085107_6086105983260730779_n.jpg?_nc_cat=107&ccb=1-7&_nc_sid=730e14&_nc_ohc=I6vxqoSrsUMAX-UWpYa&_nc_ht=scontent.fyvr4-1.fna&oh=00_AfB-h4S8m_BqkeOBIiPfmhTJCZ3NHL0GKbKN63ViuP6-Yg&oe=638C7019

Hopefully there's enough here to get you started!
    edited November 2022 Posts: 13,905
    Thank you Nick for stepping up to help provide a photo!
  • CharmianBondCharmianBond Pett Bottom, Kent
    This is @QBranch's round so he'll be responsible for the clues, but here's the image we landed on:

317503219_481398754085107_6086105983260730779_n.jpg?_nc_cat=107&ccb=1-7&_nc_sid=730e14&_nc_ohc=I6vxqoSrsUMAX-UWpYa&_nc_ht=scontent.fyvr4-1.fna&oh=00_AfB-h4S8m_BqkeOBIiPfmhTJCZ3NHL0GKbKN63ViuP6-Yg&oe=638C7019

Hopefully there's enough here to get you started!

It's Monaco, the tunnel is built through Fort Antoine and the theatre above it is where Bond spies on Xenia in Goldeneye.
    That's it @CharmianBond! How did you figure it out so quickly?
    I always think these are going to be very hard/too hard, and then they're solved so quickly. :)) We have some intelligent people in here for sure.
    QBranch wrote: »

Those road signs looked French, I know Monaco a separate state but the little bit of the port drew my mind to the Riviera. I'm not a formula 1 fan but I know it's a famous circuit so idk those roads are distinctive.
    Here's your next location. It features in at least two books; one continuation; one spin-off; and has a Fleming connection.

Hlx160G.jpg
    edited November 2022 Posts: 8,681
    I must admit that I confirmed it via Google Lens in the meantime, but if you blow up the picture enough to look at the right ground-floor corner, you can see that there is the cyrillic version of "National" written over the entrance. (I actually also have a faint memory, or so I think, of having seen this place when I was in Moscow 50 [fifty] years ago, but wouldn't have been able to recognize it without the extra clue.) So it is the Hotel National in Moscow where Fleming spent some time in the 30s. I don't know, however, in which novels this is mentioned.
    Maybe With A Mind To Kill? Can't remember exactly the name of the hotel Bond stayed in in Moscow, but it would make sense.
    j_w_pepper wrote: »
    I must admit that I confirmed it via Google Lens in the meantime, but if you blow up the picture enough to look at the right ground-floor corner, you can see that there is the cyrillic version of "National" written over the entrance. (I actually also have a faint memory, or so I think, of having seen this place when I was in Moscow 50 [fifty] years ago, but wouldn't have been able to recognize it without the extra clue.) So it is the Hotel National in Moscow where Fleming spent some time in the 30s. I don't know, however, in which novels this is mentioned.

We are a sharp bunch. Yep it's the National Hotel, Moscow where Fleming stayed during the 1930s working for Reuters. To my knowledge Bond first goes there in 1935 in Red Nemesis and thirty years or so later he we see him return in With a Mind to Kill so it was interesting to read two different Bond authors describing the exact same place.

RN: 'Fine furniture and large vases littered the landings, and James wondered if the decorations had been seized from Russian aristocrats.'

WAMTK: '... a spacious reception half full of gilt mirrors, antique furniture and oil paintings which, [Katya] explained, had been liberated from the tsar's palaces and the homes of nobility.'

Something of a brick joke from IFP.

I promise not all my rounds will be Soviet locations but I've just finished reading WAMTK so it's still fresh in my mind.
    Hah that’s an awesome connection. Wonder if Horowitz read Red Nemesis, or if “winning was just blind luck”.
    WAMTK: '... a spacious reception half full of gilt mirrors, antique furniture and oil paintings which, [Katya] explained, had been liberated from the tsar's palaces and the homes of nobility.'

Something of a brick joke from IFP.
    Excuse me, but not being British...who or what is IFP in this case? And I suppose I'm to pick the next one?
    Ian Fleming Publications, is what I thought :P
    @NickTwentyTwo's right, I have a habit of abbreviating it. Yep, it's your go @j_w_pepper
    edited November 2022 Posts: 8,681
    OK, I have a few ideas but my last attempt seemed to be all over Google Lens, although I used a Street View image. May take me until at least tomorrow.

I still have another question:
    To my knowledge Bond first goes there in 1935 in Red Nemesis

Wasn't Bond, even in the oldest Fleming novels, born 1920? How come, in that case, did he get there at the age of 15? OK, I haven't read that spinoff novel, and myself was in Moscow (with a group) at the age of 16, but not in a luxury hotel...rather the contrary.
    OK, I want to get this behind me tonight after all:
    geoguessing221130hierj.jpg
    Have fun! It's a literary location only.
    Those road signs looked French, I know Monaco a separate state but the little bit of the port drew my mind to the Riviera. I'm not a formula 1 fan but I know it's a famous circuit so idk those roads are distinctive.
    Ah, so my very subtle clue didn't give it away!
    Thank you Nick for stepping up to help provide a photo!
    Bond 'stepping up' the theatre steps to 'help provide a photo' of Xenia for Moneypenny.
    To my knowledge Bond first goes there in 1935 in Red Nemesis

Wasn't Bond, even in the oldest Fleming novels, born 1920? How come, in that case, did he get there at the age of 15? OK, I haven't read that spinoff novel, and myself was in Moscow (with a group) at the age of 16, but not in a luxury hotel...rather the contrary.[/quote]

It's the Young Bond series which does set his birth year at 1920. As to how a 15 year old boy gets into Stalin's Russia, without spoiling the novel as it's the final one in the series, he has help.
    Thank you Nick for stepping up to help provide a photo! Bond 'stepping up' the theatre steps to 'help provide a photo' of Xenia for Moneypenny

Too clever for me :))
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    j_w_pepper wrote: »
    OK, I want to get this behind me tonight after all:
    geoguessing221130hierj.jpg
    Have fun! It's a literary location only.

I'm just wildly guessing, but the architecture seems British, so I thought of the MI5 building.