The Great Bond Geoguesser Game

Comments

• j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    edited November 2022 Posts: 8,677
    EDIT: I'm noticing a ".de" that's actually useful this time... on the bus...
    Fun fact: The "bus" is the van of a mobile dog-grooming service (the No. 1 world-wide allegedly)...parked in front of the local Dior outlet, of all places... and in a totally no-parking zone.screenshot_20221115_2qle5c.png

• NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    :)) :))
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    j_w_pepper wrote: »
    EDIT: I'm noticing a ".de" that's actually useful this time... on the bus...
    Fun fact: The "bus" is the van of a mobile dog-grooming service (the No. 1 world-wide allegedly)...parked in front of the local Dior outlet, of all places... and in a totally no-parking zone.screenshot_20221115_2qle5c.png

Knowing German thoroughness, he might get a parking fine 14 years later. No wonder they don't lik
    OK. A Bond location is described by Fleming as being ten miles east of this place.
    screenshot_20221109_17ki7i.jpg

apparently I'm not very good at this game and, as stated before, I'm not in enough to help keep it going, but that won't stop me from guessing anyway as I like it. So, considering that truck contraption in the back it's probably on the American continent. It looks like a motel to me, hence my guess would be the motel in The Spy Who Loved Me. The Dreamy Pines Motor Court".
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    Well, not really... as I said the location is ten miles away. But I guess I have to concede it to you. It's the town hall (or at least some administration building...didn't find anything more representative) of Lake George, NY. And the motel in question is described as being ten miles east of Lake George, albeit on a lake that doesn't exist and on a road that is unclear. But it doesn't get better than this. @RichardTheBruce, aren't you from this area to clarify this?

Anyway, @CommanderRoss, I'm afraid you'll have to post the next image. :-)

Regarding the parking fine from the Munich picture, German efficiency also states a period of limitation of six months for such administrative offences. He may actually have got a ticket then, but not now any more.
    edited November 2022 Posts: 7,526
    I was thinking about guessing that as well, but I figured it would've been too easy if that was it. Nice one @CommanderRoss.

@j_w_pepper I feel like if you're not completely satisfied with the answer, you could give information like "that is the location that is ten miles away, but what is this specific location called?"
    It would have been a big enough clue that it's basically a race to the information, and you could've gotten your "Lake George" answer. Anyways, whatever works!
    I was thinking about guessing that as well, but I figured it would've been too easy if that was it. Nice one @CommanderRoss.

@j_w_pepper I feel like if you're not completely satisfied with the answer, you could give information like "that is the location that is ten miles away, but what is this specific location called?"
    It would have been a big enough clue that it's basically a race to the information, and you could've gotten your "Lake George" answer. Anyways, whatever works!

Yes, but the Lake George townhall plays no role in the novel. I was simply looking for a Street View that might somehow represent the town. My actual question referred to the location ten miles away. So if someone correctly names the (non-existent) Dreamy Pines Motor Court, even by guessing, my question is answered. (As an aside, I also wasn't happy with the American "truck contraption" in the background, but Street View didn't allow me to change the angle enough.)
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    Allright, allright, I'll try to keep this going.
    Zurich_Airport_14-1024x576.jpg
    Bond visits this place, but I have no doubt in his day it looked utterly different.
  • zebrafishzebrafish <°)))< in Octopussy's garden in the shade
    That is Zurich airport (I have been there several times) and the only connection I could find was to the novel TSWLM. Viv flew there for an abortion, which opened up the possibility of a new life and travels on the American continent.
  • goldenswissroyalegoldenswissroyale Switzerland
    zebrafish wrote: »
    That is Zurich airport (I have been there several times) and the only connection I could find was to the novel TSWLM. Viv flew there for an abortion, which opened up the possibility of a new life and travels on the American continent.

Zurich airport is part of OHMSS. Bond makes the proposal there.
    I never knew that - thanks!
    I never knew that - thanks!

And I didn't recognize Zurich despite living in this country :-? Thank you
    I only went to Zurich airport once...to change planes, coming from Hamburg to go on to yet another Bond location, which I keep to myself for the purpose of this game. I don't remember much of Zurich airport except that the espresso was outrageously expensive even then (2013 or so). So I wouldn't have recognized it in this case.
    I'd say that it should be @zebrafish's turn now, since he picked the right location and a connection to it, and @goldenswissroyale "only" came up with another connection after learning it was Zurich Airport.

This, indeed, is what I referred to, not tswlm connection. Bond is going to Zurich airport to meet the count, and later proposes there. I wasn't quite aware so many people would instantly recognise it though. And yes, it's still insanely expensive. So I'll leave it to you @j_w_pepper to declare the winner, as it's your game.

This, indeed, is what I referred to, not tswlm connection. Bond is going to Zurich airport to meet the count, and later proposes there. I wasn't quite aware so many people would instantly recognise it though. And yes, it's still insanely expensive. So I'll leave it to you @j_w_pepper to declare the winner, as it's your game.

No, actually it's @NickTwentyTwo's game, so we should let him decide.
    edited November 2022 Posts: 7,526
    Let's say I'm founder and JW is CEO. ;) I agree with his previous comment that it should be @zebrafish this round. But if they want to pass that's fine too.
    My original thoughts on the game were that you'd only have to come up with the location, AND/OR the connection to Bond, but that was when I thought this game would be harder (I'm pleasantly surprised to see rounds going without too much time), so if we decide you need the location AND the Bond connection, that works for me too. Either way, I think @zebrafish has it, even if it wasn't necessarily the exact Bond connection that was intended.
    I'm defintely fine with @zebrafish as the winner.
    Perhaps we should settle on the location and some Bond connection, preferably from one of the novels/short stories. But where there are several of such connections, one cannot guess what the original poster intended (here: TSWLM vs. OHMSS). So I guess either connection should be considered sufficient for a win, as long as the location is correct.
    Makes sense to me!
    @goldenswissroyale we'll give @zebrafish some period of time to put a round together, otherwise we can pass it off to you.
    Thanks fellow Bond fans! I'll see if I can come up with a game today, please be a bit patient!
    Let's see how long the connection of this location to Bond takes to be guessed correctly ...

W7SUR3D.jpg
    Got it!
    It's the Grand Hotel Excelsior Port Royal, Jamaica, formerly known as Morgan's Harbour Hotel. Bond meets (and eats) there with Mary Goodnight in the TMWTGG novel. And Port Royal as such is mentioned at least in LALD and Dr. No as well. They also filmed the meeting of Bond and Quarrel in Dr. No there.
    Got it!
    It's the Grand Hotel Excelsior Port Royal, Jamaica, formerly known as Morgan's Harbour Hotel. Bond meets (and eats) there with Mary Goodnight in the TMWTGG novel. And Port Royal as such is mentioned at least in LALD and Dr. No as well. They also filmed the meeting of Bond and Quarrel in Dr. No there.

That's it, congratulations! Over to you, @j_w_pepper
    Let me guess: A Google image search, followed by more googling? Or did you have any other clues?
    Actually, I thought the picture looked quite Caribbean, and I first tried to find out where the Palmyra TB movie location was filmed. But it has that round "shark pool", not the square body of water in the image. And it was obviously a hotel and by the sea. I found Jamaica rather likely for Fleming and also remembered from an earlier search that that DN harbour scene was filmed at Port Royal. So I actually started looking there with Google Maps' satellite view. The rest is history, except that I had to look up the exact location in three of the novels. But it was fun!

I'll think up the next one soon.
    Wow, you really had fun with this! Can't wait for what you'll come up with.
    Actually, I thought the picture looked quite Caribbean, and I first tried to find out where the Palmyra TB movie location was filmed. But it has that round "shark pool", not the square body of water in the image. And it was obviously a hotel and by the sea. I found Jamaica rather likely for Fleming and also remembered from an earlier search that that DN harbour scene was filmed at Port Royal. So I actually started looking there with Google Maps' satellite view. The rest is history, except that I had to look up the exact location in three of the novels. But it was fun!

I'll think up the next one soon.

OK, here it comes:
    geoguessing5s0f9b.jpg
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Maybe M's/John Barry's flat?
    mtm wrote: »
    Maybe M's/John Barry's flat?

Afraid not.
  • CharmianBondCharmianBond Pett Bottom, Kent
    It's Sothesby's from Property of a Lady/Octopussy except sneakily it's the gallery/cafe called Sothesby's on St George St not the auction house around the corner on New Bond Street.
    Good job, @CharmianBond! However, there is a reason for choosing the St George Street location of Sotheby's, and it's not just in order to be sneaky and hide what it is. Care to think about that part as well?

Either way, you're next.