The Great Bond Geoguesser Game

Comments

• QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    This should be easy, and has probably already been played, but extra points awarded to the person who can explain why this particular shot holds intrigue.

53142404879_74bbdc8d42_o.png
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    Hey, that's a great production discovery which I wasn't aware of before, although I now found it mentioned in diverse places on the Web. This is Piazza Vittorio Veneto in Sapri, in southern Italy and representing a fictional "Civita Lucana", where they filmed the train station scene with Bond and Madeleine's breakup in NTTD.

Picking a slightly different point of view on Google StreetView and cropping the image a bit, it looks like this:sapri18dfpz.jpg
    The awning on the left is above the entrance of the station, and to the right of it is a bar (green marquees).

However, in the movie it looks like this:sapri2t0iow.jpg

They used a mirror image of the scene here and un-mirrored the signage via CGI. Great find, @QBranch!
    Yep, they flipped the image, then re-flipped key signage including the horse badge on the Ferrari. DB5 appears from where there's a fence next to the train tracks. Only discovered this earlier tonight. Clever, subtle use of CGI like this is welcome. All yours @j_w_pepper!
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    edited August 2023 Posts: 8,714
    For anyone who cares: I updated the list of locations played, which used to be on page 17 of this thread, to include the latest entries including the one above. And then I moved it to page 1 (replacing my original first posting in response to the OP) for easier reference.
  • goldenswissroyalegoldenswissroyale Switzerland
    Very good round. I had no idea of the mirroring. I wonder if they used a similar trick in earlier films, too.
    Instances I can think of at the moment are flipped shots of Bond and Leiter in the helicopter in TB, and Domino scuba diving.
  • goldenswissroyalegoldenswissroyale Switzerland
    QBranch wrote: »
    Instances I can think of at the moment are flipped shots of Bond and Leiter in the helicopter in TB, and Domino scuba diving.

Nice to know. Was there a good reason to do that?

Nice to know. Was there a good reason to do that?

At least the Bond/Leiter thing in the helicopter is considered a goof on https://www.mi6-hq.com/sections/movies/tb_mistakes, though I don't know how an editor can goof like that: "Watch closely when Bond and Leiter are flying over Palmyra in the helicopter - Bond must be sitting on the right of the helicopter as Leiter is clearly seen piloting the machine from the left hand seat. Yet Bond manages to look out of the left hand side of the helicopter with his binoculars. The fact that Bond's hair parting changes sides suggests that the negative has been reversed for some reason."

Oh, and yes (same link): "Writing on Domino's scuba mouthpiece backwards in one shot as she emerges from the sea, revealing use of a mirror image." If they had done it on purpose, they would have tried and succeeded in hiding that, though not by CGI as today.
  • zebrafishzebrafish <°)))< in Octopussy's garden in the shade
    Regarding the flipped station scene: Also the bullet marks on the windscreen fit neither of the production stills, which vary among themselves, revealing a bit of continuity neglect - unless this was fixed in the movie ( I don‘t have access to my DVD right now).
    OK, here's the next try. Since it is somewhat bland, I guess, let me point out that it is a movie location but looks quite different from the time it appeared. Should still be recognizable.
    schwalbehkd4j.jpg
    I am tempted to guess it is from Octopussy, when Bond, in an Alfa Romeo, is chased by German Polizei?
    You are tempted to be correct. Do you care to endeavour a guess where this place is (and no, I don't mean "in Bavaria" - it isn't!). I myself was surprised to find out about the location since I had been there several times and never realised it was in a Bond film, although (as repeatedly stated), OP is not a film that has a high-rewatch potential and therefore frequency for me.
    It should be in Berlin, Spandau to be more precise. I once looked this up myself and the German road signs somehow gave the scene away. Huntingbond.com has an article about it.
    I am currently on vacation and am not really in the mood for the next one, so if someone wants to go ahead with the next one?
    You are of course right, and enjoy your vacation (I hope the weather is ok...). But let's just wait if anyone else cuts in. Although this particular location (as per the picture) is not shown on huntingbond.com.
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    Ok, here's one that might last for at least 5 minutes... The filming was on the outside.

13.jpg
    edited September 2023 Posts: 8,714
    @CommanderRoss

Looks like Amsterdam, if you ask me, just from looking out the windows. Though considering the arrangement and size of the windows, it's not Tiffany Case's apartment no. 4 (as per page 13 of this thread), but it still may be Reguliersgracht 36 again. Only one story lower than Tiffany's place. Nice apartment, either way.
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    j_w_pepper wrote: »
    @CommanderRoss

Looks like Amsterdam, if you ask me, just from looking out the windows. Though considering the arrangement and size of the windows, it's not Tiffany Case's apartment no. 4 (as per page 13 of this thread), but it still may be Reguliersgracht 36 again. Only one story lower than Tiffany's place. Nice apartment, either way.

And of course you are correct. You should see the rest of the place, it's really nice, but this one was the only one showing a bit of the outside. I figured otherwise it might be too difficult. On the other hand, not many cities have such windows.
    For those interested, I'd like to elaborate a little bit more on the Berlin/Spandau scenes in Octopussy last mentioned, as discovering them as such was really new to me as well. There is something on huntingbond.com about them since spring of this year, but I hadn't checked that website since. Anyway, my wife is from Spandau (the northwestern district of Berlin that had been a city of its own until 1926), and we've been in the "old town" and the "Spandau Forest" countless times in the last thirty years, especially since my wife's sister still lives in Spandau.

Anyway, the car chase ultimately ending up at the Feldstadt U.S. Air Base (which doesn't exist) starts in a quaint Bavarian village in a Pinewood set recycled from (as I read) The Hunchback of Notre Dame. I don't know if this is true, but it is still Pinewood until Bond "borrows" the Alfa Romeo from the lady in the phone booth (remember phone booths? They were really typically yellow and looked like the one in the movie at the time).

But as soon as the Alfa breaks out of that village square, it takes a tight right turn, coming from "Kolk" street toward a sign that says "Hoher Steinweg" to the left and "Möllentordamm" to the right. All those are in the "old town" of Spandau. A bit later, we see a police BMW with a Munich licence plate (wrong even in context, since this scene obviously plays in Franconia...and later police cars have a Nuremberg licence plate, which would fit), and then a police motorcycle speeds out from "Kolk" street in pursuit of Bond's Alfa which he actually "borrowed" about 500 kms away.

A bit later, Bond's car is seen in Spandau forest (at the junction of Schönwalder Allee and Oberjägerweg) meeting those Nuremberg police BMWs. The chase goes on across the railroad crossing at Johannisstift (a social organisation providing care for elders - and the picture I last posted, although the crossing has been deactivated since OP). Johannisstift was the place where my wife and I donated the remaining books of my deceased mother-in-law in 2014, by the way, since they have a second-hand book store.

You can follow most of this - and the following - via Google Maps (StreetView).

Bond is later seen driving on the Autobahn to Feldstadt. Trouble is, there are exit and direction signs identifying this as what is now the A115, originally built as AVUS (Automobil-Verkehrs- und Uebungsstrasse - automobile traffic and testing road - also used as a racetrack before the war) in the 1920s and leading south from the centre of Berlin to the freeway connections to Hannover and Munich, and later Leipzig etc. You see Bond driving south with the famous 1926 Berlin radio tower in the background and ultimately turning off at Hüttenweg exit, then taking the underpass under the autobahn and the railway a bit later, though those two bridges have been replaced since OP was filmed. The direction sign which now reads "Charlottenburg" (a Berlin district) pointing north was replaced by "Heidelberg" in the film, which makes no sense either, since no Autobahn in Franconia has Heidelberg as its destination. But the "bridle path" traffic sign on the left hand side of the road that Bond takes under the bridges is still there!

I give the filmmakers credit for equipping the vehicles employed with Franconian (or at least Bavarian) licence plates (N-, BT-, WUN-, ER- etc.), but it is still clearly a Berlin Autobahn and nowhere near Southern Germany.

The rest of it is RAF Lakenheath, I suppose.

Maybe I should have posted this on the "Whinging, Moaning..." etc. thread. But then, I never thought much of Octopussy anyway.

• RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    Not sure if this meets the intent or the criteria, I'm injecting this image.

1490cb7b6c63e907b74c3c10c65e1f2d798f6780.jpg
    must be the house RM serves Quiche Lorraine ('an omelet') to Tanya Roberts.
    Good one, @RichardTheBruce. And I'd say we already have a winner.
    edited September 2023 Posts: 13,080
    Thought a regular like @CommanderRoss would get it quickly. Yeah that was actually my picture taken yesterday afternoon at the Dunsmuir House and Estate in Oakland CA, from the side through the trees.

I can post a proper picture here and on the Pilgrimage discussion later today. And do I have a story to tell.

Updated to add more recognizable images.
    aa79c2c9d4d972625c532f65e41a501c613cbca1.jpg
    d32aa9da1c697a52f80002761816c24239d0c30a.jpg
    da599d3cafa75a603e0125d0eee8054f6cd51221.jpg
    We had the Dunsmuir Hellman Estate in some other thread not too long ago, I think, so I was sure that @CommanderRoss' answer was right. Or maybe I just looked it up for a new "target" and passed on it since the available pictures were too obvious.

But it's still frightening what Google Lens finds out these days. I fed your photograph (@RichardTheBruce) into the search engine as a test, and although there seems not to be a single other image taken from your point of view, the building pops up all over the place, mostly from the front which as an image on this thread would really have been TOO easy.

Anyway, @CommanderRoss, I'm delighted to say it's your turn once more. And not mine. ;-)
    Thanks @j_w_pepper! Funny @RichardTheBruce , apparently the location is engraved in my brain, I recognised it in a second, didn't even double check! Looking foreward to your stories!

Ok, this one is either too easy, or may mislead people for a bit (which I hope). e293f59f4ae0fed75a859fdf17db3e7b_L.jpg
    My first instinct - and really not based on any research whatsoever - is that it has something to do with Macao...

Update: I'm afraid I was wrong, but would still like others to provide the real solution.
    I'm gonna go with the Bregenz festival, where Tosca was held during QOS filming.
    I added some images of the Dunsmuir above, to not distract.

That latest image. Do I need to name the exact James Bond Jr episode?

I added some images of the Dunsmuir above, to not distract.

That latest image. Do I need to name the exact James Bond Jr episode?

I wasn't aware that it was in a James Bond jr episode, but just in AVTAK. So please elaborate to enlighten the likes of me, who have never encountered James Bond jr.
    I'm gonna go with the Bregenz festival, where Tosca was held during QOS filming.

Well done @Qbranch, it is, indeed, the theatre on the lake of Bregenz where the Tosca scene played out, only, obviously, this time with a different stage.
    Thanks @CommanderRoss. And yes, it's the 2014 festival. And no, it's nothing to do with AVTAK or James Bond Jr, of course!