The Great Bond Geoguesser Game

Comments

• j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    edited March 2023 Posts: 8,714
    No, I actually checked for images of headquarters of caisses d'épargnes on Google, and had to leaf through quite a few of them before discovering this. But I still didn't know what it was in Fleming's time. And quite frankly I had also forgotten that Bond follows Goldfinger to Orléans. I then found some winter picture with someone remarking how beautiful "la Montespan" looked under the snow. But looking for "la Montespan" I was stuck with a few hundred portraits of a Louis XIV mistress...until suddenly there was the auberge. And a Bondfood article. Ah, the life of a law enforcer...
  • zebrafishzebrafish <°)))< in Octopussy's garden in the shade
    I found that food article first and took it from there. I would say it's your turn again!
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    At your service. Literary again. The name I pixeled out is not the one that there was in Fleming's days.

cs18ynihm.jpg
    I updated the list of locations in my post on page 17 of this thread. The above is location No. 66. I doubt that we'll make it up to 100 one of these days, but we'll see.
    The "Central" sign was familiar and now I realize I have passed there probably more than a dozen times. But I cheated (Google reverse image search is astonishingly powerful for architecture) and don't want to give it away. Any other guessers?
    j_w_pepper wrote: »
    I updated the list of locations in my post on page 17 of this thread. The above is location No. 66. I doubt that we'll make it up to 100 one of these days, but we'll see.

Great idea to update the list. One day someone (winkwink) needs to compile a Google map with bookmarks to all these locations. I would use it to help plan my vacation travels according to it, for sure ;-)
    Thanks. I think this list is indeed worth preserving, although someone already compiled a Google map (https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer?hl=en-US&amp;mid=1bHEGcPLVkBPGzyv1ZUn30MuVKaI&amp;ll=36.13939970000002,-115.1591635&amp;z=8) of all Bond locations that neither of us has even thought of. At least I (nudge nudge, say no more, say no more) am not going to be the one to try and surpass him.
    Since @zebrafish seems to think he should recuse himself from this one...how about any others? It's not really rocket science, I guess.
    Just look at the people, the typical mix of young tourists you mainly find in certain cities around well known places. Not that difficult, really.
    zebrafish wrote: »
    Just look at the people, the typical mix of young tourists you mainly find in certain cities around well known places. Not that difficult, really.

And then imagine how it might have looked 60+ years ago...in black&white, I guess...
    I humbly (well, not really...) dig up this thread after 1 1/2 months. Anybody care to guess and keep this going?
    Disclosure: There are five guys in the picture :-)
    Another final try after an intermission of, like, another ten weeks. I know that @zebrafish has the solution (and I'm not surprised), but it's no fun doing a ping-pong on this kind of games if only two or three people take part. I'll give up if nobody cares after that.
  • goldenswissroyalegoldenswissroyale Switzerland
    edited July 2023 Posts: 4,400
    I can click on the image and send it to google lens...and I got the solution. But this isn't the idea, is it? I wouldn't have known without cheating.
    I wonder which images can be easy found with "google lens" or something like that? And what needs to be done that "cheating" is less easy?
    edited July 2023 Posts: 8,714
    To tell you the truth, I don't think anything can be done, nor should it. All through this thread I have been thinking that learning about the locations (and not just luckily guessing right) is the main purpose, and it doesn't make any difference if someone is using Google Lens to gain that additional knowledge. In fact, I'd even encourage it and have been doing it myself. There is nothing to win or lose, if one doesn't count gaining that knowledge on Bond locations, so I don't see any unfairness. No one has to present his universal knowledge of all things Bond by solving this (or the trivia questions, or the "descriptions of a scene", or even the quarter-frames) purely from memory, since everyone can research everything easily now. I find that more interesting than poking around in the dark and finally hitting the right movie after the poster of the question has ruled out another 20 movies or so.

Plus of course regarding the current question, if one hasn't read up on the literary locations, one probably hasn't ever seen the building pictured in my posting (the look of it in the fifties is also easily available on a James Bond website). So I'd say that it is indeed essential to use the opportunities that Google etc. has to offer to find out. Just like most of us who posted the questions have used Google Maps to portray the places we wanted others to find out.

To phrase this shortly: No, using Google or Google lens isn't cheating, it just speeds up the learning process.
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    Still, I have no idea in which novel Bond goes to the Oyester Warehouse..
    edited July 2023 Posts: 8,714
    The "Oyester" WHAT....?

It is Piccadilly Circus. But I'm also not sure in which novel this place appears. MR?
    Since MR is indeed one of three 007 novels in which the place is described in a clearly recognizable way (though not named in MR), I'll hand this to you.

"Bond sat at his favourite restaurant table in London, the right-hand corner table for two on the first floor, and watched the people and traffic in Piccadilly and down the Haymarket."

The restaurant is also mentioned using its name, Scotts, in the DAF and YOLT novels. See https://flemingsbond.com/scotts-restaurant-piccadilly-haymarket/

My hint above from the 9th of May refers to the fact that the ground floor now houses a Five Guys chain restaurant. I pixelled that out to keep people from Googling for "five guys london". But if Google Lens finds it anyway, it may no longer make sense.

I'd be glad if we could add some more locations to this thread, but please decide yourself if you have another one. The full list of what we had so far is on page 17 of this thread.
    @goldenswissroyale

Just to make sure you read this.
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    The "Oyester" WHAT....?

https://scotts-richmond.com/our-history/
    ;-)
    The "Oyester" WHAT....?

;-)

Yes, I found that "warehouse" bit in the meantime. Still it was Scotts restaurant when Fleming wrote his novels, and until (IIRC) 1968.
    The "Oyester" WHAT....?

;-)

Yes, I found that "warehouse" bit in the meantime. Still it was Scotts restaurant when Fleming wrote his novels, and until (IIRC) 1968.

Fair enough. And anyway, I'm not very good at this game, but enjoy it none the less.
    edited August 2023 Posts: 4,400
    53096455053_67af290802.jpg

Sorry for the delay and the bad quality.
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    That doesn't look like Cairo to me, James!
    Because it isn't Cairo.
    No it's Mathis villa in Talamone.
    It is indeed...that was quick!
    Took one look at it and knew what it was. Can't see any cheap wine from this height so that's a plus.

Anyone want to host this round?
    QBranch wrote: »
    Took one look at it and knew what it was. Can't see any cheap wine from this height so that's a plus.

Anyone want to host this round?

Why don't you host it yourself, so it's not always the same people hosting future rounds?