The Great Bond Geoguesser Game

Comments

• QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    edited February 2023 Posts: 14,034
    Has this one been played before? Would be good to keep a list now and then.
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    edited February 2023 Posts: 8,725
    @zebrafish wrote: »
    Great answer, I bet you had checked out this location earlier for one of your own game contributions @j_w_pepper !?

No, I hadn't, "fishy"..but it looked Italian and didn't fit the tunnel entrances in QOS. So I decided to look if the Villa La Gaeta was near a tunnel and had a gateway like that...and it did!
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    QBranch wrote: »
    And no, I don't think this has been played before. As I just said in my response to @zebrafish, I simply thought that this must be Italian, but the tunnel entrances in QOS looked different. But feel free to set up a list of locations played before, it's really not that long since the thread started barely over three months ago.

I guess it is my turn again?
    edited August 2023 Posts: 8,725
    QBranch wrote: »

OK, I'm crazy enough to get into this. Here's the list of the locations we had so far on this thread:

NOTE: The list is now on the first page, second posting (mine, originally from Nov. 2022) of this thread.
  • zebrafishzebrafish <°)))< in Octopussy's garden in the shade
    Great list, it gets me into the mood to plan our next vacation.
    Here's your next vacation destination - a movie location:
    gg230212l3imp.jpg
    So I checked Siena and Corfu and it is neither. Where do you want me to spend my holidays? The sign above the arc irritates me, what does the hat mean? Maybe we are in Italy after all?
    Well, I don't really know the sign above the arc, but I felt like I should pixelate the sign on the grid gate so as not to give the location away because of the language used. Maybe you didn't check either of those two well enough. So, yes...you may be in Italy after all (but then, you may not...). The solution is even marked on Google Maps as the place in question, by the way (though debatably, but let's postpone that).

A good start for your holidays, by the way, might be Hamburg :-). Have you been there before?

And I'll also add that this arc/gate is only seen for a few seconds (but also from the inside!), if that should be an indication of a certain movie.
    @zebrafish: To quote you from page 15, now that we have a directory:
    Well, you are on to something and too quick to draw conclusions - is all I want to say at this point...Now, better take a walk along the streets...
    I'll grant you that here we don't know the address from a novel, but it can be found on the Web. It is doubtless this place, though the doors magically open to the inside. A car drives in, and then you see the gate close.

The miraculous part is that even the house on the opposite side of the street, which you see from the inside before the gate closes, is really the one opposite this gate in reality.
    Aha! You want me to travel to Siena after all! I failed to consider the opening sequence, which ends in Siena, of course. So it is the entrance door in QoS that leads to the interrogation room.
    Incredible that you found the spot, by the way!
    Not really, it was mentioned on huntingbond.com, IIRC. And 67 Via Salicotto is even marked as the James Bond safe house on Google Maps. I don't buy that entirely, since the gateway is between nos. 51 and 67 (they must have planned to build further houses there instead of the Piazzetta della Paglietta), and considering Bond is driving through a long tunnel afterwards he'll hardly end up at No. 67. But the piazzetta is really across from No. 56, and that's the house one sees from inside the tunnel before the gate closes!
    I have one prepared as well, if I may? It's a film location.

aAFWLi8.jpg
    Sure you may, you solved the last one. I'll think about yours.
  • goldenswissroyalegoldenswissroyale Switzerland
    Maybe the entrance to the guy who made a copy of the juwelery in OP?
    Excellent comrade! This is the Kremlin Art Repository in OP, but in real life it's the entrance to Queen Mary Court of the University of Greenwich (the Kremlin not being available for filming).

Kremlin%2BArt%2BRepository%2BOrlov.jpg
    It seems to be an impediment to keep avoiding OP and TMWTGG for a rewatch experience (both are somewhere at the bottom of my list for that). I had no clue here, nor recently about the Bottoms Up club in the quarter-frame game.
    @goldenswissroyale , the stage is yours!
    Bumping up this thread, who wants to start a new Geoguesser round?
    I was tempted to do the same (bumping it), but I'm not re-starting it so far.
    For all the puzzlers out there, I do have a new one (and one with a genuine insight). Film location:

XlR34b1.jpg
    Sorry for leading this game to a unwanted hold. I completely forgot about this thread and never realized that I was right with my last guess.
    Feel always free to go on when I don't react in two days...
    New guess: the location where Wet Nellie turns around to escape from the helicopter?
    No, it's not a Lotus on this road, but we are generally in the right larger area of the world (don't want to give away too much this early).
    It's this bend on Strada Statale 18 Tirrena Inferiore, near Acquafredda, 7 minutes and 43 seconds into NTTD:stradastatale182cf1q.jpg
    What's your genuine insight?
    Excellent! The insight is that behind that corner there is no tunnel, but you probably knew that already?

nttd-malownicza_droga_tunel.jpg

Good one!
    zebrafish wrote: »
    Excellent! The insight is that behind that corner there is no tunnel, but you probably knew that already?
    Well, considering they talked for half a minute since the bend before going into the tunnel (at 8'18"), it can hardly be meant to be just around the corner...though they had all the time in the world. But anything is possible in a universe where they drive south on the Tyrrhenian Sea and a few moments later find themselves in Matera, 200 km to the northeast. It was news to me, though, that the tunnel was CGI'd. I just thought it was somewhere farther down the road.

EDIT: I just realized that at the end of the movie, Madeleine and Mathilde go around the exactly same bend in the Vantage V8. (Why should they be going to Matera after all they've been through?)
    No-Time-to-Die-1688.jpg
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    I didn't know about the tunnel, nice bit of trivia, @zebrafish.
    Well, I'll just drop in something from a literary work...I'm sure it won't last long:
    gg01113tcve.jpg
    Really no takers regarding this magnificent building in a posh neighbourhood? OK, the BMW coupe looks a little flattened...