The Great Bond Geoguesser Game

Comments

• j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    Hint: This has something to do with a means of transport used by Bond from there to somewhere else.
  • CharmianBondCharmianBond Pett Bottom, Kent
    Is it the train station in Istanbul for the Orient Express in FRWL?
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    edited January 2023 Posts: 8,748
    Yes, indeed it is. It is the Sirkeci railway station in Istanbul that was the terminus of the Orient Express. From what I read, the platforms/tracks also served to represent the Belgrade and Zagreb stations in the movie.

Good luck with the next, @CharmianBond!
    I'm on fire today, but it's getting late here so I shall return with a new location tomorrow.
    Fine. Good night.
    I'm looking for the building on the left. It's a literary location.

IDuZmIm.png
    Morskaya Ulitsa, Vladivostok, KGB Headquarters. In TMWTGG, Bond tells M that he was taken there when he was picked-up by the seaside after what happened in YOLT and not remembering how he got there. Tough one, by the way. I had a faint impression that the blurred letters might be Cyrillic, but the cable-stayed bridge in the background ultimately gave it away.
    j_w_pepper wrote: »
    Morskaya Ulitsa, Vladivostok, KGB Headquarters. In TMWTGG, Bond tells M that he was taken there when he was picked-up by the seaside after what happened in YOLT and not remembering how he got there. Tough one, by the way. I had a faint impression that the blurred letters might be Cyrillic, but the cable-stayed bridge in the background ultimately gave it away.

That was quick one, it is KGB HQ. Back to you.
    The air is getting thinner in finding something not so obvious. My own jury is still out, so maybe I might not get back to this before tomorrow.
    OK, I'll try the following: It is a literary location which doesn't figure in the movie of the same name. I can only suppose that the place looked the same when the novel was written, and I had to cover a few signs that would have been too revealing. But give it a try.
    gdd1zxcrv.jpg
    Today's helpful hint: It is definitely connected to another location that we've had on this thread, and from the same literary work.
    As a bonus tonight: It's basically the other end of that other location. Ring a bell? Or rather: Toot a whistle? Remember: It's the literary location.

Or just get a sandwich with good mustard and think about it.
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    Well I'm probably way off, but I keep on thinking of the mud_baths in dag in Saratoga, where the poor jockey is mistreated by our favorite villains wint and kidd
    Well I'm probably way off, but I keep on thinking of the mud_baths in dag in Saratoga, where the poor jockey is mistreated by our favorite villains wint and kidd

Thank you, @CommanderRoss, but you are indeed continents away from the object of my question. I'd expect you to be closer to the riddle in my Bond trivia thread (https://mi6community.com/discussion/488/the-james-bond-movie-trivia-quiz#latest). But this one here (in the geoguesser thread) is firmly rooted on the European continent as well.
    Well, hasn't anyone made sense of my hints...regarding "the other end of [a recent] location"? Not having desired to put some decent mustard on their sandwich or whatever?
    One last try to get this back up among the living: One of the signs I covered in the picture reads "GARE".
  • zebrafishzebrafish <°)))< in Octopussy's garden in the shade
    Well, GARE means station (your hint where "the whistles toot") in French, so it should be in France. Checking the Orient Express stations "at the other end" of Istanbul (recent geoguesser location) would be Gare de Dijon. Google image search confirms it. This was close to too tough...
    Well, I'm glad that someone after all understood my hints :-)...although there do not seem to be too many connoisseurs of mustard on this board.

I'm afraid it's your turn, @zebrafish. ;)
    Ah, Dijon mustard, now I get it :)>-
    It will take a little while to prepare something, possibly until tomorrow, though.
    Where are we? (Sorry for the bright light, apparently this is not StreetView's finest image).
    This location is a film location and with keen eyes one might have seen it more than once.

YZyca1k.jpg

Good luck!
    18 minutes is a pretty good record if one announces it might take till tomorrow :-). I'll think about it.

First of all: Looks like Venice. I'm just not too sure I should get too specific, to avoid others keeping away from guessing.
    I have an idea, but I'm afraid I'll regret this...so I'll let others have the first guess. Good night for the time being.
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    Looks like where Bond follows Vesper through to the sinking building site.
    I'll give this round to @QBranch , it is the inner courtyard of the Conservatory of Music Benedetto Marcello in Venice, from CR, where Bond spies on Vesper.

.jpg

Fun fact: In MR Dr. Goodhead leaves the museum into this courtyard and Bond follows her, but back then the place had not been renovated, so the walls are stained.

6515_moonraker_conservatory%20of%20music%20benedetto%20marcello%20_%20conservatorio%20benedetto%20marcello_2.png
    That's exactly the moment I thought, with Gettler grabbing Vesper. I can picture a henchman up top with the UMP.

Didnt know it was the same location in MR. Nice tidbit there.
    Not sure if this one has been played already, but let's try:

52635120795_01c4285e9a_k.jpg

Film location.
    I'm not really ready to do the next. So I'll just say that a certain ally of Bond's seems to be Catholic.
    edited January 2023 Posts: 14,082
    j_w_pepper wrote: »
    I'm not really ready to do the next. So I'll just say that a certain ally of Bond's seems to be Catholic.
    No half answers thanks. I'm giving it to you. Your round.
    That's NOT FAIR!!! :-)

OK, I'll try and dig something up, and it's getting harder especially if we want to keep putting the emphasis on the literary locations.

By holding back my answer, I just wanted to stop the ping-pong game between the usual two or maybe three participants and give others a chance to get involved by providing a hint.

Just to wrap this up for any such others interested in this game (not giving up hope): It's the Basilica of St. Mary Star of the Sea, 1001 Windsor Lane, Key West, Florida, where the wedding of Felix Leiter and Della née Churchill took place.

basilicafafoq.jpg

I'll be back (©Ahnie), though probably no earlier than tomorrow afternoon our time.