The Great Bond Geoguesser Game

Comments

• goldenswissroyalegoldenswissroyale Switzerland
    I thought the name is different: Winter Palace. It seems that both names lead to this building. Anyway, good job as always @j_w_pepper
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    edited January 2023 Posts: 8,723
    Technically you're right, @goldenswissroyale. Winter Palace would have been more specific as the Hermitage Museum does include the Palace, but also several other buildings. But anyway.

Here's something palatial in its own right:
    geoguesser0106nicaq.jpg

PS: I changed my original Google Street View image to this one after finding that the first try was all over Google Lens, but so is this one...if you want the easy way of finding it.
    Is it from a movie or from a novel?
  • zebrafishzebrafish <°)))< in Octopussy's garden in the shade
    Isn't that Blenheim Palace? Standing in for the Roman palazzo in Spectre.
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    Sorry, @goldenswissroyale. I only read your question now, and @zebrafish provided the correct answer in the meantime. It is indeed Blenheim Palace at Woodstock, the one in Oxfordshire, not the one where the famous 1969 concert festival was held. It's Winston Churchill's birthplace. And with a bit of CGI, it provided the exterior for the fictional Palazzo Cadenza, where the SPECTRE meeting was held. The interior was created at Pinewood.

So, @zebrafish, maybe put some inspiring music into your CD player and think of the next one :-).
    Very well then, as I tip my foot to a Bond soundtrack, here is a location to ponder about. Where are we and what does the address stand for in the film? Bonus for the exact address ;-)

MtT8SZE.png

Well, the street sign says it's in an English-speaking country. The cars (including what seems to be a Dodge Durango relatively rare in Europe) parked on the correct side of the road spell U.S. or Canada rather than UK or other Commonwealth. But the low house numbers (31, 33 and probably 35) don't, really. I'll have to do some thinking on this (preparing kale at the moment...sort of a meditative activity for me...).
    PS: The Dodge Durango and possibly the silver car behind it have left-hand steering. So I suppose it is not just a one-way in London where cars can park on both sides of the street.
    So far, so good…
    Judging from Street View, it is at least NOT 33 E. 65th Street (the Oh Cult Voodoo Shop from LALD).
    You are right, it is not that shop. But you might be able to walk from there to the mystery location.
    zebrafish wrote: »
    You are right, it is not that shop. But you might be able to walk from there to the mystery location.
    "I might be able to walk from there" sounds like if I have the time, the place could be in Chicago... But I'm working on it...though not all night. It's eleven over here...as I suppose you're aware of.
    OK, I think I've got it. It's the fictional (LALD) San Monique consulate or embassy on East 69th street, probably no. 33 or 35, whichever is the subject of your image. Bond tails a lead from the Oh Cult Voodoo Shop to get there. Correction: It is of course a surveillance camera shot on one of the screens in Leiter's office.
    You got it! The small handrail gives it away. I thought this was difficult, but there seems to be no foolin' the Sheriff ^:)^ . Back to you!

5f8cQYF.png
    Here's the next one. Not nearly as intricate.
    geoguesser01080icf3.jpg
    Pinewood Studios?
    Pinewood Studios?

Edit: No it's not...
    Just another hint to avoid excessive browsing: This cannot be found on screenmusings.org. But there is pretty much a close-up shot of the building in the movie in question.

Edit: If nobody has an idea, I may somewhat zoom out of the Google image tomorrow which will ultimately give you a clue about where to look. It's rather unmistakable once you get a fuller picture.

My own approach would be: no push-up windows -> neither Britain nor U.S., by the way.
    I thought about the window where Bond remembers the moment of the avalanche. But this would be in Britain (?).
    I thought about the window where Bond remembers the moment of the avalanche. But this would be in Britain (?).
    And I'm afraid that this is not one of the windows in the image.
    I think we need a zoom-out of the house.
    Very well, here's one slice more of the house. Ring a bell?
    geoguesser0109bfdt7.jpg
    And here's basically the same part of a screenshot from my Blu-ray... it's about 17 minutes and 22 seconds into the movie.
    screenshot000partyecpy.jpg
    They did paint the window frames in the meantime.
    Oh I know, it is the house in Amsterdam, where Tiffany Case lives in apartment 4. DAF. The shape of the gable gives it away!
    That's what I thought, which is why didn't incorporate the gable in my original image. It is situated on Reguliersgracht 36. The funny thing is that Bond presses the No. 4 button on the door bell panel, but Tiffany expressly states that she lives on the third floor. Must be someone living in the basement as well.

As an aside (and an insight I gained from looking this up), there is no way that Bond, last seen in the Triumph Stag beyond Wint and Kidd on the wrong side of the "Skinny Bridge", could get to this house within a few seconds. But we know this from other locations and movies, don't we?

Anyway, @zebrafish, it's your turn once more.
    OK, I was prepared. This might be a bit more tricky, because it is a brief scene. At least the country should be easy to spot.

tuXQwMZ.jpg
    I dare say it looks like England. And I know in the meantime it is not the entrance to the cemetery of the Church of St Giles, Stoke Poges, Buckinghamshire, where Tracy's grave was seen in FYEO. But I'll keep looking. Can't identify the name of the pub in the background, "The Two Br..a..."?.
    Got it :-). The pub is called The Two Brewers:

twobrewpii8b.jpg

And the place we're looking for is Quarterdeck, M's country house from OHMSS, at Marlow, Buckinghamshire.

stpeterst_marlowerzd2g.jpg

"In the film, we see M’s house for the first time, a stunning riverfront mansion called ‘Quarterdeck’, where he is seen preserving samples of rare butterflies.

The house is in fact called Thames Lawn and was found at the end of St. Peter’s street in Marlow until it burned down in the 1990s. The remains were torn down and replaced with the current Thames Lawn building."

- https://www.buckinghamshirelive.com/whats-on/whats-on-news/buckinghamshire-james-bond-film-locations-5302941

Give me a while before I come up with another one.

Excellent work, @j_w_pepper , as always! With your detective skills, you would qualify for a job at MI6 for sure.

I wanted to grab a picture of Quarterdeck itself, but had to learn what you just posted, it burned down - what a shame!
    zebrafish wrote: »
    Excellent work, @j_w_pepper , as always! With your detective skills, you would qualify for a job at MI6 for sure.

I wanted to grab a picture of Quarterdeck itself, but had to learn what you just posted, it burned down - what a shame!
    Yes indeed...I hope they saved the butterfly collection :-).

Alright, I think I have something here that serves as both a literary and movie location...albeit the latter without an outside shot like here, IIRC, and the building was unfortunately under construction when Google shot the pics. I also felt the need to pixelate a few markings on the scaffolding. But I'm sure you people will find out.

iss32cyp.jpg