The Great Bond Geoguesser Game

Comments

• goldenswissroyalegoldenswissroyale Switzerland
    How did you solve that so quickly. Have you been there @CommanderRoss ?
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    How did you solve that so quickly. Have you been there @CommanderRoss ?

Nope, not at all. But when you look closer at the picture, you can see 'race' between the trees. It so happens that scene is one that stuck in my mind because of Wint and Kidd (and the former's thumb-sucking). So I was convinced it was that one, just had to look it up on google maps ;-)
  • zebrafishzebrafish <°)))< in Octopussy's garden in the shade
    Incredible, congratulations, that was correct!
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    "Well I hear you went up to Saratoga
    And your horse, naturally, won..."
    Smart @CommanderRoss
    Yep, Wint and Kidd are a highlight for me in both, novel and movie.
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    Allright, this one has a twist. It's Bond-book related, I want to know the location. But this actual bird is not there...

1024px-Speak_to_Me_Softly....._-_Flickr_-_Andrea_Westmoreland.jpg
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    Allright, this one has a twist. It's Bond-book related, I want to know the location. But this actual bird is not there...

I don't know if this is what you're hinting at, but the Roseate Spoonbill (Platalea ajaja), according to the Chief of Staff's information provided to Bond in Dr. No, was given a sanctuary on Crab Key which resulted in the enormous guano reserves that Dr. No exploited.
    j_w_pepper wrote: »

I don't know if this is what you're hinting at, but the Roseate Spoonbill (Platalea ajaja), according to the Chief of Staff's information provided to Bond in Dr. No, was given a sanctuary on Crab Key which resulted in the enormous guano reserves that Dr. No exploited.
    Yep, that's the one, by lack of an actual crab key. Well done, over to you.
    OK, here's the next one.
    stairwaybcigb.jpg
    DAD, entrance to Q´s lab, London?
    I figured you'd be the one, and quickly. It's the pedestal of the South Bank Lion on Wetminster Bridge.
    I wondered if we had had that location before in this thread or in another?
    I'll find another one later, enjoying the weekend right now with offline activities!
    It wasn't in this thread. Check the list in the second posting of this thread on page one. The only ones missing in that list so far are the three or four latest. Anyway, enjoy your weekend!
    I got another one, hope it is not too obvious, because some members here are really sharp and fast.
    Name the place and Bond novel!

0CKgEZ3.png
    Hmmmm...a long narrow island or peninsula. Mediterranean, from the looks (very orderly, almost perfect symmetry). Ah, yes, il Lido di Venezia:

"I bathe at the Bagni Alberoni, where the English poet Byron used to ride his horse. It is at the tip of the peninsula... Knock on the umbrella and ask for Fräulein Lisl Baum."
    - Ian Fleming, Risico
    That’s it, congratulations @j_w_pepper . By the way, I always found the Name Lisl Baum very un-Bondian and wonder if it was inspired by a real-life acquaintance of Ian Fleming.
    Not as un-Bondian as "Countess Lisl von Schlaf"...but since she was from Liverpool anyway and just invented that name, the scriptwriter may be forgiven.

Don't expect the next one right away, please.
    edited November 2023 Posts: 8,714
    The cable railway (part of its base station is seen at the right edge of this cropped Google Streetview image) leads up to one of the summits of a mountain range which is mentioned in two different literary works (of the Bond realm). Which two works are they, and what is the connection to Bond?
    geomountaino0d9w.jpg

I am certain that we are looking at the Chamonix mountains from Chamonix-Mont Blanc, standing in front of the bottom station of Le Brévent (named after the mountain in the background).
    The literary connections are Christopher Wood's novelization of the TSWLM screenplay, in which Bond is escaping from a cabin on the top of Aiguille du Mort, a mountain near Chamonix - if that is what you had in mind?
    The other is Fleming's YOLT novel, where we learn from his obituary the circumstances of the death of his parents, killed in a mountain climbing accident in the Aiguilles Rouges (a chain of mountains) near Chamonix.
    Fun-fact: Chamonix was where the skiing scene in TWINE was filmed.
    This is actually half of it (well done, by the way! I seemed to have managed quite successfully to keep Google Lens from finding it by cropping the image). I wasn't aware of the TSWLM screenplay novelization, but it doesn't mention the Aiguilles Rouges (of which Le Brévent is the summit I mentioned), apparently. Something else besides the YOLT obit does, however, without referring to the death of Bond's parents.
    edited November 2023 Posts: 4,312
    In Horowitz’ „Forever And a Day“ Bond sits in a Stockholm restaurant and muses about his motivations. He once climbed Aiguilles Rouge and boxed at Fettes College.

Is that what you had in mind?
    No, I'm afraid I'm not aware of that one (haven't read too many continuation novels). But "the real thing" also has something to do with Bond having climbed Aiguilles Rouges. But it is a Fleming book that's missing.
    Still not? I will quickly go offline and reread my Flemings, then. 😉
    I sent you a PM, @j_w_pepper 😁
    OK, I guess it's really good enough. You found the name of the mountain range and the YOLT connection, which is the more important one, plus a couple of connections that I didn't even know. So full disclosure about the rest, if you care:
    In FRWL chapter 13, Bond takes BEA flight 130 from London to Istanbul via Rome and Athens, crossing (surprise!) the Alps. "The plane skirted the great eyetooth of Mont Blanc, a few hundred yards to port, and Bond looked down at the dirty grey elephant’s skin of the glaciers and saw himself again, a young man in his teens, with the leading end of the rope round his waist, bracing himself against the top of a rock-chimney on the Aiguilles Rouges as his two companions from the University of Geneva inched up the smooth rock towards him."

Anyway, it's your turn again!
    edited November 2023 Posts: 4,400
    I didn't remember that this incident was also mentioned in FRWL. I like that.
    Are there other Fleming novels mentioning the climbing accident (without mentioning the mountains)?
    Ian Fleming tells us that James Bond preferred this manufacturer's product - although his housekeepr May would have gotten it for him. Here's the question: In which 3 Fleming novels is this long-established retailer mentioned?

Pt9aWF1.jpg
    edited December 2023 Posts: 8,714
    I have an inkling but I'll pass for now to keep this from becoming another ping-pong game between the two of us.
    Taking the liberty to bump this.
    It is not that difficult…!