Which composer should score the soundtrack for BOND 26?

Comments

Benjamin Wallfisch

Also I would like to see a return of the "007 Theme" - sadly it was never used again since 1979 (MR).
  • GadgetManGadgetMan Lagos, Nigeria
    There were rumours that Hurwitz was considered for NTTD though.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    I'm all for Giacchino, not merely because of past works like The Incredibles, M:I 3 and Ghost Protocol, but even more so because of his The Batman score. The latter convinces me that he is one of the few who can still introduce several themes in a score, show restraint, go old-school with charming strings and more. It would be wrong to dismiss him on the basis of having done almost "everything", including Star Trek, Star Wars, Marvel, DC, Planet Of The Apes, animation, video games, Jurassic World, and more. So what if he is incredibly prolific? So is Zimmer, and his NTTD score has been rather favorably received.

I think Giacchino is the right man for the job. I can't predict the future but I would wager that he would deliver Barry, though not overtly; he would create original material that would sound both modern and classic. I just discovered that I am familiar with 30 (!) of his scores, and I'm fond of all of them. I truly believe this man is Bond material.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    Giacchino would be a good choice, I'd say. I think he'd probably bring some funk, too. Both of his M:I scores are great in that respect.
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    Whose the guy who did First Man soundtrack? The moon landing track sounded very much like John Barry. He would be ideal.

Justin Hurwitz. And that was a stunning score, for sure. Numerous beautiful cues.

Hurwitz is another good choice.
    edited August 2022 Posts: 4,247
    Although, I think the ideal thing is to announce Zimmer & Marr early. They would come up with awesome guitar sounds to fill the score. Newman scored two Bond films, So Zimmer deserves another with ample time.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    I think Arnold can deliver what we expect from the Bond sound and because of that some people may find that uninspiring and too safe. However, I think he found his second wind composing Craig's first 2 outings and think he can really do something exciting if given the chance to return.

I like the suggestions of Giacchino and Desplat. I'd also add Ramin Djawadi to the mix too.
    Desplat intrigues me. I like his stuff but how good is he with action? I mean, that's mostly where Newman failed, no? He can do operatic action music, like in Harry Potter and Godzilla, but cool and rhythmic, I can't say that I've heard such music from him yet.
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    Desplat intrigues me. I like his stuff but how good is he with action? I mean, that's mostly where Newman failed, no? He can do operatic action music, like in Harry Potter and Godzilla, but cool and rhythmic, I can't say that I've heard such music from him yet.

Yeah, but I think he did something very John Barry with Zero Dark Thirty.
    GadgetMan wrote: »

Absolutely! He's good, no question about it.
    edited August 2022 Posts: 8,034
    The mention of Godzilla by Desplat made me think of the guy who scored the sequel: Bear McCreary. I am a big fan of his and would love to see him score a Bond film some day.

Absolutely! He's good, no question about it.

Yeah, he really is.
    The mention of Godzilla by Desplat made me think of the guy who scored the sequel: Bear McCreary. I am a big fan of his and would love to see him score a Bond film some day.

Oh, Yeah. Big McCreary fan here as well. His stellar score for Da Vinci's Demons was the turning point for him...I feel. I recently listened to his two newly released tracks (Galadriel & Sauron) from Amazon's upcoming LOTR series and I'm like....WOW!
  • edited August 2022 Posts: 3,279
    Whose the guy who did First Man soundtrack? The moon landing track sounded very much like John Barry. He would be ideal.

Justin Hurwitz. And that was a stunning score, for sure. Numerous beautiful cues.

Thanks. Beautiful track. This one too sounds very much like Barry, but not in a rip-off kind of way....

• I'm not that familiar with Hurwitz's work, but that First Man track does sound a lot like late 70s/80s John Barry. It would be interesting to hear an old-school Barryesque score in a modern Bond film. That might have been an interesting approach for NTTD since they wanted to call back to OHMSS musically anyways.
  • MalloryMallory Do mosquitoes have friends?
    I was quite impressed with Pinar Toprak’s Captain Marvel score from 2019, which has a good main theme and leitmotif use through the score, as well as its action scoring, so could imagine her scoring a Bond film.
  • CharmianBondCharmianBond Pett Bottom, Kent
    Giacchino has done everything except Bond at this point it seems, but he's prolific because he really is so good. And as he made as name for himself doing a pastiche of John Barry for The Incredibles after Barry declined, I'd be more than happy for him to compose Bond 26.
  • SatoriousSatorious Brushing up on a little Danish
    His recent Batman score had more than a passing resemblance to John Barry's jazzy romantic themes also...

I would really go for Zimmer & Marr again. Just announce them early and every track from the score is going to be spectacular. Plus, lots of guitars.
    I would really go for Zimmer & Marr again. Just announce them early and every track from the score is going to be spectacular. Plus, lots of guitars.

Announcing them early won't happen and likely wouldn't matter, as they'd still end up working to the post-production deadline.

Announcing them early won't happen and likely wouldn't matter, as they'd still end up working to the post-production deadline.

Yeah, that's true. But I just think them as the first choice, would start having ideas early, instead of replacing another and trying to beat a deadline.
  • Jordo007Jordo007 Merseyside
    David Arnold, the man just gets Bond.
    Jordo007 wrote: »

Yes, a great deal of us think so too and would want him back in a flash, but if he didn't replace Dan Romer, it means we shouldn't live in false hope. Maybe it's because Thomas Newman's first Bond score got an Oscar nomination, that's why EON aren't looking Arnold's way anymore. But whatever it is, at the moment, it's not looking like Arnold would score a Bond film in the nearest future, but one can only hope....cautiously.
  • Jordo007 wrote: »

Yup.
  • edited August 2022 Posts: 820
    I wouldn't connect the "Arnold didn't replace Romer so he's done with Bond" dots so directly, for a few reasons...

First, Zimmer was (and is) the absolute hottest commercial name in the composing game, and represented something of a coup/escalation for the Bond team to actually secure. As it was Craig's final film, and Zimmer was also able to hold his own collaborating with a contemporary titan like Billie Eilish for the title song, I can absolutely see why they would consider him the prestige pick on the board.

Second, the Zimmer (and Mazzaro) insertion was a rapid rescue mission. Based on what we're able to piece together from various interview snippets -- (although there's some dispute about this, and rumours that Zimmer was working on NTTD earlier than believed) -- the official line seems to be that he only became involved in October/November 2019 when it became clear to the producers that Romer's work wasn't going to...work.

So, Zimmer was faced with the daunting task of scoring the film in something like 2-3 months for a March 2020 release. That is insanely fast, and part of the attraction of Zimmer was that he brought a massive operation with him capable of delivering on such an ask -- something he's already done on a highly visible studio film in Blade Runner 2049. Arnold, historically, has never worked like that. Even his "rushed" scores were much longer writing and production cycles, I believe, and it may have simply been a case that he wasn't capable of delivering a Bond score up to his standards within that timeframe. (Which I wouldn't begrudge him/them for admitting, at all).

I wouldn't rule out Arnold's return to Bond just yet, especially since we know the producers love to return to familiar "family" members when they're introducing a new, trickier era of the character.

I'd certainly love to hear another Bond score from him. And then some more.

If I had to rank my own hopes...

1. Arnold
    2. Zimmer / Mazzaro
    3. Mazzaro alone (I have an inkling he should get more credit for NTTD than he does)
    4. Balfe
    5. Pemberton
  • The producers went with Zimmer because they were in chasing after Oscar gold mode ever since Skyfall. Who knows if that will stay the case for the next Bond given that they've really only been successful picking up the song award (which seems like a gimme at this point), Newman's Skyfall nom aside.

Arnold is still as passionate about Bond as ever and still in touch with the producers. Heck, he played music at that recent Bond gala the producers had. I'm not saying they absolutely won't go some other direction, but if I had to place odds, I'd say Arnold is a safer bet than anyone.
  • mattjoesmattjoes Kicking: Impossible
    The producers went with Zimmer because they were in chasing after Oscar gold mode ever since Skyfall. Who knows if that will stay the case for the next Bond given that they've really only been successful picking up the song award (which seems like a gimme at this point), Newman's Skyfall nom aside.

Arnold is still as passionate about Bond as ever and still in touch with the producers. Heck, he played music at that recent Bond gala the producers had. I'm not saying they absolutely won't go some other direction, but if I had to place odds, I'd say Arnold is a safer bet than anyone.

Arnold also scored that N.Peal 007 commercial, and something Bond-related in a racing competition, I don't recall which.
  • mattjoes wrote: »
    The producers went with Zimmer because they were in chasing after Oscar gold mode ever since Skyfall. Who knows if that will stay the case for the next Bond given that they've really only been successful picking up the song award (which seems like a gimme at this point), Newman's Skyfall nom aside.

Arnold also scored that N.Peal 007 commercial, and something Bond-related in a racing competition, I don't recall which.

That's right, I forgot about that N.Peal commercial. Yes, he's very much still involved in the world of Bond.
  • Jordo007Jordo007 Merseyside
    I would have liked Arnold back for NTTD, I think he would have written something special for Madeline and he would have done something more inspired than reusing OHMSS theme, I remember how he was dead against reusing the YOLT theme for Die Another Day so he wrote something similar instead

On the other hand though, I love Zimmer's Bond theme and Not What I was Expecting is one of my favourites. So I'd rather compromise and have Arnold back for Bond 26.
  • mattjoesmattjoes Kicking: Impossible
    I would have liked Arnold back for NTTD, I think he would have written something special for Madeline and he would have done something more inspired than reusing OHMSS theme, I remember how he was dead against reusing the YOLT theme for Die Another Day so he wrote something similar instead
    In fact, Arnold didn't agree with the choice of reusing the OHMSS music in NTTD.

On the other hand though, I love Zimmer's Bond theme and Not What I was Expecting is one of my favourites. So I'd rather compromise and have Arnold back for Bond 26.
    That's a cool track.