The James Bond Debate Thread - 336 Craig looks positively younger in SP than he does in SF.

Comments

• Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    He's contributed more time to the series than Cubby so the answer is yes, whether it's as good or not is up for debate.
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    I would have to agree.

Came up with the TSWLM ski jump and (I think) the MR parachute scene - two of the best PTSs of the series.

Wrote all the 80's scripts (wish he would pick up the pen again as, AVTAK apart, they are all better than P&W's output).

Has fulfilled production duties since TSWLM and for almost 25 years done it without Cubby (LTK was really the film where the baton was passed not GE).

Has guided the series through transition after Cubby's death and nearly 20 years after Cubby's passing the series is as strong as ever - despite practically all of Fleming being mined long ago.

If Cubby is Shankly then MGW is Paisley - long may he continue.
  • pachazopachazo Make Your Choice
    Michael Wilson has been an integral part of the franchise for a long time now and I don't want to diminish his importance in any way. However, Cubby (and Harry) started this whole thing and without them there might not be a franchise for Michael to contribute to. So I'd have to disagree. Good question @DarthDimi.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    <font color=tomato size=4><b>THESIS 269</b></font>

<font color=blue size=7><b>Most Bond films display computers as unrealistically high-tech.</b></font>
    DarthDimi wrote:

<font color=blue size=7><b>Most Bond films display computers as unrealistically high-tech.</b></font>

Yes and No. While I think computers are capable of doing things they do in Bond movies, i think sometimes the movies do a poor job of distinguishing what computers calculate from what the characters calculate (i.e. the train station scene in SF.)
    DarthDimi wrote:

Disagree. All sorts have things have been put into Bond films that were fiction, yet now they are common place such as cameras and phones.......etc.
    I agree with the thesis.

Here's an interesting article by the way ;-)

http://www.popsci.com/science/gallery/2012-12/sloppiest-sci-fi-movie-science-violations-2012?image=2
  • MayDayDiVicenzoMayDayDiVicenzo Here and there
    Agreed. Especially in QOS, with that super-tech computer controlled by touch. I found it quite out of place in that particular release.
    Also in CR, Bond phones M and is suddenly able to break into Miami International airport security how? His mobile phone feels like the cosmic cube from The Avengers: it can do anything.
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    edited December 2013 Posts: 13,936
    RogueAgent wrote:
    Disagree. All sorts have things have been put into Bond films that were fiction, yet now they are common place such as cameras and phones.......etc.
    Yes, every technology featured in science/fiction will become fact given enough time- but I believe the thesis is referring to the state of technology at the time of the film's release.

I will agree. I think TND's Ericsson phone is a good example. *If* the technology was feasible back in 1997, it's still difficult to imagine it all fitting inside the casing. Also, as mentioned, QOS went a bit overboard with the MI6 tech, just to scale it back for SF. And then there's the Renard hologram...
  • DarthDimi wrote:

I suppose so,but then it's always been a mantra of Bond movies to make the technology just a little futuristic. Hardly science fiction, but it's still good fun.
  • Agreed. Especially in QOS, with that super-tech computer controlled by touch. I found it quite out of place in that particular release.
    I completely agree. QOS seemed too futuristic

<font color=tomato size=4><b>THESIS 270</b></font>

<font color=blue size=7><b>OP lost more money to NSNA than the other way around.</b></font>
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    As they came out at different times they were their own competition.
    Disagree. OP made more money at the B.O. on a lower budget than NSNA.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    DarthDimi wrote:
    Also in CR, Bond phones M and is suddenly able to break into Miami International airport security how? His mobile phone feels like the cosmic cube from The Avengers: it can do anything.

@DarthDimi, I know this isn't part of the current debate but I wanted to point out that Bond broke into the security because ELLIPSIS or 35547747 was the password to the security door.
    DarthDimi wrote:

<font color=blue size=7><b>OP lost more money to NSNA than the other way around.</b></font>

I am not sure they lost money to each other, I remember that I was always going to see both. As a young man I felt blessed by two Bondmovies with still my two favorite Bond perfomers.

Murdock wrote:
    DarthDimi wrote:

@DarthDimi, I know this isn't part of the current debate but I wanted to point out that Bond broke into the security because ELLIPSIS or 35547747 was the password to the security door.

Thanks for that, @Murdock. I always suspected from the way things were shown that Bond had to call M and somehow, by sheer magic, received a code. ;-)

• MurdockMurdock The minus world
    No problem @DarthDimi. :)
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    Disagree. OP made more money at the B.O. on a lower budget than NSNA.

That's not what the thesis means. It's not a question of total grosses or profit to budget ratios it's a question of did either take money off the other and I would contend that I tentatively agree with the thesis.

In the build up there would have surely been more curiosity and anticipation at the return of Connery than another Moore film being churned out (as the press certainly perceived around that time with quotes such as 'Starring Roger Moore and his stuntmen as James Bond') so in theory people might well have thought 'let's go and watch Connery after 10 years of Moore.'

However due to NSNA's delays the 'Battle of the Bonds' was something of a damp squib. Mind you it's possible NSNA's relatively poor showing at the box office meant people were a bit Bond fatigued by the end of the year so it is credible that by being first into the cinema OP claimed some money that might have gone NSNA's way had they been releasd simultaneously.
    Interesting post, @TheWizardOfIce!
    DarthDimi wrote:

Disagree as I think it purely was about the battle of the Bonds more than anything. And OP still took more revenue at the box office regardless.
  • DarthDimi wrote:

Disagree, I think they made each other money because the "Battle of the Bonds" added enthusiasm to an average Bond film sidling in two years after another average Bond film.

• DarthDimi wrote:

Disagree, I think it created more buzz for Bond in general, and since they were released at different times, I couldn't see them negatively impact each other.

I agree but I don't think that OP lost a lot of money to NSNA. It's possible that some people declined to see OP in the theaters because they were holding out for NSNA. This had to be a very small percentage though since the films came out months apart from each other.
    edited December 2013 Posts: 23,551
    <font color=tomato size=4><b>THESIS 271</b></font>

<font color=blue size=7><b>George Lazenby's comedic reaction shots were the weakest compared to the other Bonds.</b></font>
    Agree. Totally.
  • DarthDimi wrote:
    <font color=tomato size=4><b>THESIS 271</b></font>

<font color=blue size=7><b>George Lazenby's comedic reaction shots were the weakest compared to the other Bonds.</b></font>

Oh, most certainly. The same goes for his quips and one-liners, which made me cringe more than once.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Dalton and Brosnan were equally bad in that regard, so disagree.
    edited December 2013 Posts: 7,314
    Dalton and Brosnan were equally bad in that regard, so disagree.
    They did have some awkward moments didn't they? They also pulled off some great material too though. Perhaps if Lazenby had done more films he would have had the opportunity to get a script more suited to his style of humor. As it is I think that I must agree with the thesis.