The James Bond Debate Thread - 336 Craig looks positively younger in SP than he does in SF.

Comments

• TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    Morgan wrote:
    'Recovered'?. McClory's rights in Thunderball pre-date Eon. The word you are looking for is, 'Acquired'.

Mcclory love? Bold opening post.
  • It's getting to a point now where you think will this debate ever disappear out of sight. Probably the most straight forward thesis choice I have seen in many a round. For what I do hope will be the last time, No I do not want a return of Blofeld / SPECTRE, now, or at any time in the future. Just would seem completely inappropriate to see long forgotten names and organizations return to the series after being obselete since the 1970s. If there hadn't been that damn reboot in recent years, we wouldn't even be discussing this

It was an interesting item or point of argument for a while, but now it's getting damn boring often enough. I for one would be disappointed to a significant level if these ideas ever come to the fore in future releases
  • pachazopachazo Make Your Choice
    I disagree because I want to see Quantum in the next film and I don't want Blofeld to end up being their leader. Give us something original please. If they want to bring Blofeld back after the Craig era then I suppose I could live with that. I'd prefer if SPECTRE did not return though.
  • edited November 2013 Posts: 3,494
    DarthDimi wrote:
    <font color=tomato size=4><b>THESIS 259</b></font>

<font color=blue size=7><b>Now that the TB rights are recovered from McClory, Craig should go against Blofeld in one of the next Bond films. </b></font>

Disagree. If we're to see Blofeld again, I'd prefer to see QUANTUM ended first and have Blofeld return with a fresh Bond. QUANTUM is Craig's organization to fight and there is a lot that can be done to make them more interesting and deadly, and different in a good and entertaining way. I'll always feel Blofeld and SPECTRE were a part of the original era that should remain there.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    <font color=tomato size=4><b>THESIS 260</b></font>

<font color=blue size=7><b>Dalton would never have accepted the lead part in a competing McClory Bond film post '89.</b></font>
    Depends how much cash was thrown at him. Money can be a great motivator.
    The thing is, I always thought Dalton was rather close to Cubby. I'd think of this as a betrayal of sorts. But then I could be mistaken of course. ;-)
    DarthDimi wrote:
    The thing is, I always thought Dalton was rather close to Cubby. I'd think of this as a betrayal of sorts. But then I could be mistaken of course. ;-)

I always thought that of Cubby and Roger but things there were not all they seemed.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    edited November 2013 Posts: 16,333
    Agree. Timothy wouldn't be caught dead playing lead to a spite fueled film.
  • edited November 2013 Posts: 12,837
    Definitely agree. Dalton seems like the kind of actor who takes work based on what he's interested in rather than how much moneys on offer (he initially turned down Bond, remember?).

Plus he was mates with Cubby (he was a pall bearer at his funeral), he definitely wouldn't have gone against him like that.
    DarthDimi wrote:

I always thought that of Cubby and Roger but things there were not all they seemed.

What do you mean? I always got the impression that Roger and Cubby were quite close?
  • edited November 2013 Posts: 12,837
    Evidence

timothydaltonbroccolifucq8.jpg
    Definitely agree. Dalton seems like the kind of actor who takes work based on what he's interested in rather than how much moneys on offer (he initially turned down Bond, remember?).

Plus he was mates with Cubby (he was a pall bearer at his funeral), he definitely wouldn't have gone against him like that.
    DarthDimi wrote:

What do you mean? I always got the impression that Roger and Cubby were quite close?

Read Roger's autobiography. He mentions some hurtful and, according to him, untrue comments made by Cubby about the way Roger went about negotiating his contract.
  • Was never aware of that, cheers @WillyGalore. I'll definitely give it a read.
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    Disagree. Timothy seems far too much an actor who chooses his parts on the basis of quality. McClory could never deliver on that one as there'd be nothing original to work with. That and his friendship with Cubby obviously.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    I remember reading ca 1996 that Mc Clory claimed he had Dalton aboard for DOOMSDAY 2000 or whatever the prospect was called at the time, but mainstream media has never been accurate.
    I agree. I think that when Dalton stepped down from the role he was serious about it, no matter who was producing the film.
  • M_BaljeM_Balje Amsterdam, Netherlands
    edited November 2013 Posts: 4,458
    RE: Now that the TB rights are recovered from McClory, Craig should go against Blofeld in one of the next Bond films.

Quantum wil return in the shadows of OHMSS Blofeld and Eliot Carver. Resurrection of some of them idea's/background with a ''new''twist.
  • MrBondMrBond Station S
    Disagree
    Dalton was a personal friend to the whole Broccoli family and wouldn't jump the ship to star in a rival movie just like that.
  • royale65royale65 Caustic misanthrope reporting for duty.
    MrBond wrote:
    Disagree
    Dalton was a personal friend to the whole Broccoli family and wouldn't jump the ship to star in a rival movie just like that.

Disagree for what Mr Bond said.
  • edited November 2013 Posts: 3,494
    Totally disagree on Dalton for all the many reasons stated. It's sad for me to say, but only Sean would have held that kind of grudge against Cubby. Lazers might have done it, but if so it would have been for the paycheck and not out of spite. And Sir Roger's agent was well compensated to handle what Rog felt was a fair price for his abilities. Rog did not want to get into that with Cubby, it's true he found Cubby's occasional comment distasteful, but the greater impression I got was that he mostly loved Cubby and after all, he was there for him when he needed him most and on a picture by picture deal by then, he certainly could have elected not to be.
    <font color=tomato size=4><b>THESIS 261</b></font>

<font color=blue size=7><b>PART 1) John Barry's scores were able to make lesser Bonds more enjoyable. PART 2) The other Bond composers weren't.</b></font>
  • edited November 2013 Posts: 1,497
    Agreed:

AVTAK and MR are examples to 1) (some would argue DAF as well, however I personally don't consider it a lesser Bond)

TND, TWINE, DAD, and QOS are examples to 2)
    I guess I agree in part to Part 1 of this question but whilst MR and AVTAK are great scores for lesser films, I find the scores to two more lesser films - DAF and TMWTGG to be Barry's worst.

Disagree to Part 2. TND was a great score but I still dislike the film.
  • DarthDimi wrote:

<font color=blue size=7><b>PART 1) John Barry's scores were able to make lesser Bonds more enjoyable. PART 2) The other Bond composers weren't.</b></font>

Agree 100% with (a), disagree with (B), especially since George Martin and David Arnold produced some excellent efforts that worked very well for the films they did.

• MurdockMurdock The minus world
    1 Agree.

2 Disagree.
  • MrBondMrBond Station S
    1. Agree
    2. Disagree
    DarthDimi wrote:

1) abso"bloody"lutely

2) AGREED

• royale65royale65 Caustic misanthrope reporting for duty.
    1. Agree

2. Disagree - although not to the same extent as the Master.
    I can't think of an example of any David Arnold scores making any lesser Bond films more enjoyable though. Take DAD for example, does David Arnold really elevate the film for you by the score alone? Sure, it may be one 'passable' element of the film, but does it really make the film any better? Same thing for TND - does it really make the film any better?

With Barry on the other hand, it's a real joy just listening to the scores playing in the background.

The only example I could possibly think of for 2) is LALD, and I attribute that more to McCartney's catchy tune playing throughout.
    edited November 2013 Posts: 7,314
    I'm going to agree with both parts but I do feel that there are a couple of exceptions. TMWTGG for part 1 and QoS for part 2.