Bond Fan Posters

Comments

• MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Thanks @Thunderfinger! :)
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    Praise the Almighty Captain Murdock! :O
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    edited July 2018 Posts: 13,924
    Nice work, Murdock.
    Murdock wrote: »
    9h7GJHMl.jpg
    I like this one.

Grant: "Let me demonstrate good trigger discipline, old man."
    Bond: "Let me demonstrate bad trigger discipline... On your friend's helicopter!"
    bC7zZ7Il.jpg

Alternate universe Skyfall, where Bond shoots Patrice off the train and Moneypenny stays at her desk.
  • mattjoesmattjoes Kicking: Impossible
    @Murdock, I shall put those to use in my desktop. Great work, thanks very much!
    Thanks @mattjoes, @QBranch and @ClarkDevlin.

From Russia With Love was one of the more difficult ones I had to work with because the artwork for it doesn't do a good job representing the movie, then it randomly hit me to use the close up of Bond and do the same thing but with Grant instead.
    Am I correct in assuming you replaced Roger's airbrushed face in OP with the untouched original photo?

---
    After seeing @Murdock's brilliant artwork, I wanted to try something similar.

5pS1CA7.jpg

That's really good! Which picture of Tim is that? :D
    licence-to-kill-lg.jpg
    Aha, you changed his hairstyle. Clever touch.
    mattjoes wrote: »
    Am I correct in assuming you replaced Roger's airbrushed face in OP with the untouched original photo?

Actually I recreated the whole pose which was made from these two pictures.

The picture of Roger was taken from this image.
    maud-adams-roger-moore-james-bond-octopussy-1983-HEHFBA.jpg

And the picture of the Walther P5 was from this image.
    MV5BMDE5MzFhNmEtNTU3Mi00ZWIzLWJjNGQtNWUxZGVlOWVkMjNhXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNjUwNzk3NDc@._V1_.jpg

:D
    Nice!
    I've spent so many years studying those 90's vhs posters that I know which pictures were used to put most of them together. :))
  • GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà
    Very impressive work on the Dalton films as well! @Murdock
    Thank you @GoldenGun. :)
  • GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà
    Might even be the first poster art that does LTK any justice ;)
    The LTK posters could have been soooo much better. Just look at these unused poster concepts:

licence-to-kill-poster-concept-james-bond-007.jpg
    https://illustrated007.blogspot.com/2012/12/license-to-kill-poster-concepts.html

license+to+kill+poster+concept+artwork.jpg
    https://illustrated007.blogspot.com/2012/10/license-to-kill-poster-concepts.html

James+Bond+007+License-to-Kill+steven+chorney+original+artwork.jpg
    https://illustrated007.blogspot.com/2010/04/exclusive-interview-with-steven-chorney.html

licence%2Bto%2Bkill%2Bphoto%2Blayouts%2Bferef.jpg
    https://illustrated007.blogspot.com/2014/12/interview-with-brian-bysouth.html

From the last post (Interview with Brian Bysouth):
    Licence to Kill 1989
    Feref were asked to submit ideas for the newest Bond film and I took part in the design process. We created a lot of ideas but getting approval became more difficult. Unlike previous campaigns, the concepts were widely circulated, we suspected more people were involved in expressing their opinions and as a result the process became very drawn out. We suspected it was 'design by committee', some of our best ideas were so altered, that the originality and excitement had been lost.

Eventually, the design that became the poster was selected. A very bland, ordinary, photo montage which sadly marked the demise of the painted James Bond Poster. We employed a body-double for the running Dalton figure, the model came to our photo department and I helped to art direct the shoot, I still have the contact sheets. A very large, photo-montage was begun by Frank Hillary, a director of Feref and a very talented and experienced photo-retoucher. He did his best with the piece but privately, we all thought that it was the least distinguished Bond Poster ever. I have seen on the web, that Robin Behling has been credited with the design. As Creative Director of our company he can claim that distinction, but perhaps it may amuse him, if I politely maintain, there were also others to blame for how it turned out.....
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Interesting, those in the top two rows are brilliant.
    The poster of Dalton on the boat being pursued is incredible!
    I used to have the one with Pam holding the shotgun set as my desktop wallpaper. Love that and Bond's smug but cool face.

Love the iguana too-- great motif. It's huge shame these posters weren't used.
    GoldenGun wrote: »
    Might even be the first poster art that does LTK any justice ;)

I made this one for Licence to Kill like 5 years ago and I'm quite proud of it. I'll include my TLD one too since they both carry a very similar theme. :D
    HB4g4dul.jpg
    qE5wkXBl.jpg

The LTK posters could have been soooo much better. Just look at these unused poster concepts:
    Awesome concepts there, thanks for sharing. I've seen that 'revoked' licence with Tim's photo before- I might try and recreate it as a prop.

Will we ever see the return of decent Bond posters? *sigh* (official ones, I mean ;) )
    qE5wkXBl.jpg
    So, that spooky mysterious flaming hand belonged to Sanchez' ghost?

http://www.universalexports.net/Movies/license-hand.shtml
    QBranch wrote: »
    So, that spooky mysterious flaming hand belonged to Sanchez' ghost?

http://www.universalexports.net/Movies/license-hand.shtml

Sanchez the hand of fate. ;)

• edited July 2018 Posts: 17,279
    Interesting, those in the top two rows are brilliant.

I like those as well. Reminds me of that wonderful FYEO poster!
    QBranch wrote: »
    Awesome concepts there, thanks for sharing. I've seen that 'revoked' licence with Tim's photo before- I might try and recreate it as a prop.

Will we ever see the return of decent Bond posters? *sigh* (official ones, I mean ;) )

I hope we get to see the return of decent Bond posters. Illustrated ones is probably more unlikely. I know Empire Design did the SP campaign, and I think they've done every campaign in the Craig era. Those CR posters were good, so we know they can do something more interesting than what we saw with SF/SP.

I like what they did here:
    http://empiredesign.com/film/Free-Fire
    Here (the bottom one):
    http://empiredesign.com/film/High-Rise
    …and here (Danny Boyle connection!):
    http://empiredesign.com/film/T2-Trainspotting

If you look at the rest of the posters on the website they are of course very well made (typography, photos, colours etc), but probably a bit similar in that there's a lot of characters just standing there. I don't mind a bit of minimalism, though (in fact I love it), but you need that little extra to "make it pop".
    A bit off topic, but I found the SP posters over at fontsinuse.com - and in the comment section, one of Empire Design's designers explains the usage of the font Gotham for the SP logo. Always fun to have some insight into the process:

Wonderful to see this on this blog. I designed the Spectre logo as part of my role as a senior at Empire Design. We have worked on the last 4 Bond movies.

On the question of the ubiquity of “Gotham” as a typeface, I totally understand this argument, but the decision was practical as much as it was aesthetic. We’ve just finished adapting the title style for use in something like 20 different languages. The letterforms of Gotham lend themselves perfectly to adaptation for an audience of this size.

The general public don’t see yet-another-instance-of-gotham, they see an ominous word picked ominously out of darkness with a 007 logo beneath as a confident, knowing sign off.

I can’t wait to actually see it incorporated into the title sequence.
  • zebrafishzebrafish <°)))< in Octopussy's garden in the shade
    edited July 2018 Posts: 4,312
    Professional artist and illustrator Paul Mann is reimagining all the Bond posters.

This is his first:
    dr-no-by-paul-mann-jpg.363134

Hell, yeah! Looking forward very much to what's to come.

Is this a pose originally from Connery? I have not seen an image of him like this.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    That is a-maaazing!
  • zebrafishzebrafish <°)))< in Octopussy's garden in the shade
    Actually, he has done other Bond paintings before, but never a re-imagined film poster.

Like this ones (from his web page):
    2e27fe_4198baea588b49489946110ca56aa452~mv2_d_2415_3786_s_4_2.jpg?retry=1
  • 00Agent00Agent Any man who drinks Dom Perignon '52 can't be all bad.
    edited July 2018 Posts: 5,185
    I keep throwing money at my screen, but nothing's happening. Need advice.
  • royale65royale65 Caustic misanthrope reporting for duty.
    zebrafish wrote: »
    Professional artist and illustrator Paul Mann is reimagining all the Bond posters.

This is his first:

Is this a pose originally from Connery? I have not seen an image of him like this.

Amazing.

@00Agent I can take you money off your hands.

• 00Agent00Agent Any man who drinks Dom Perignon '52 can't be all bad.
    royale65 wrote: »
    zebrafish wrote: »

This is his first:

Amazing.

@00Agent I can take you money off your hands.

If you get me these posters in return. ;)
  • royale65royale65 Caustic misanthrope reporting for duty.
    That.... I can't promise ;)
    Neat posters! Pretty sure I've seen that DN one before. EON have been foolish not to hire talented artists like this to promote the newer films. :(
  • AgentJamesBond007AgentJamesBond007 Vesper’s grave
    Quick thing I did for CR based on the UE DVD releases

h5Vsteg.jpg
  • edited July 2018 Posts: 17,279
    Those Paul Mann posters are gorgeous! He has plenty of brilliant work posted on his own Instagram account. I really like this one:

Edit: Illustrated 007 have an interview with Mann:
    https://illustrated007.blogspot.com/2017/02/interview-with-artist-paul-mann.html
    Quick thing I did for CR based on the UE DVD releases

h5Vsteg.jpg
    Really like this one! There's something about James Bond movie stills in b&w that just feels right, if you ask me. :-)