Have you noticed any bloopers in NTTD?

Comments

• ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    jobo wrote: »
    jobo wrote: »
    mtm wrote: »
    How do we know this is true?

Yes. Does anyone have a source for this?

It seems to be how internet works these days. Someone posts a story with no verification. A discussion begins and in no time several people have reposted the information or had discussions about it. Before you know it, the story is considered true with no doubt.

I am not saying I am sure this particular story is not true, I just find it curious how it can trigger such a discussion and bombastic verdicts when no source has been given.

Not sure what exactly this is referring to, but I did post above that there was an interview with Craig and Mendes where they address this. I can try to find it.

It is referring to the story that an elaborate ski chase was planned for Spectre and Craig saying no was the sole reason why it didn't happen. If this can be backed up by a credible source, great. If not, making a huge discussion about it seems rather daft to me.

Hopefully Sam Mendes is a credible source! As mentioned, if I can find the interview again, I'll post it.

EDIT: Here you go.

Deaf people who just read the text, must believe these people are bonkers.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Who's angry?

Venutius wrote: »
    Yes, I think he said something like 'Ah, but I can't ski' and they rethought it - he was probably forseeing the injuries, eh! According to an old Empire article, the sequence was 'originally due to end with a skidoo chase through the village and culminate with Bond and Hinx facing off at a dam'. I know we've seen similar things before, but damn that plane looked clunky sliding towards the barn.

I'm a big fan of Daniel Craig, for sure, but this has always irked me. You're an actor.

irk
    /əːk/
    irritate; annoy.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited December 2021 Posts: 14,934
    Looks like it got beyond planning and was actually written into the script originally. Some Kind of Hero (p.660) says that Logan wrote a ski sequence that was 'much more elaborate, a little more OHMSS' - this was probably the sequence that Hannah Mingella of Sony referred to as 'parkour on skis' in that leaked email where she discussed the script. That was fairly early on (Felix was still in SP at that point!) and Mendes is quoted in SKOH as saying he wanted a snow scene but 'Daniel says to me "Well, I can't ski." It 'later developed into a skidoo chase' and then the plane chase. It's a shame - of the three options, I'd actually say they went with the worst one!

That's cool, I'd have certainly liked Felix in there having seen them together in NTTD. I disagree that the plane chase was the worst option; I agree it didn't quite come alive onscreen but the concept of Bond chasing the baddies by skiing a fuselage down a hill is more original than the others and had more potential on the page.

Honestly I think a ski chase where we never see Craig but in close-ups is a much worse idea. It would have stood out a mile from all the other action sequences where he's clearly in the thick of the action.
  • VenutiusVenutius Yorkshire
    also, how many abandoned ideas from the Craig era will eventually make their way into future films?
    Yes, there must be whole unused scenes already written for discarded drafts that could be dug up and repurposed if they'd suit a new film, as well as plenty of ideas that they didn't go with for whatever reason - someone on here pointed out that the nanobots in NTTD were originally proposed for a Brosnan film, so they've got form for this sort of thing.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Oh yeah, I think that's been happening for decades.

It's not Bond I know, but it's interesting how many scenes in Temple of Doom were originally in the Raiders of the Lost Ark script.
    Yes, it's a slam dunk that the next film will use rejected ideas generated during the Craig era, just like when Lazenby suggested Earth Wind & Fire aka a Pop artist for the title song, he was dismissed as too progressive and three years later they got Paul McCartney, and just like the whole Craig tenure is the kind of films Brozza wanted to do, and never got.
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    edited December 2021 Posts: 7,526
    Who's angry?

Yes, I think he said something like 'Ah, but I can't ski' and they rethought it - he was probably forseeing the injuries, eh! According to an old Empire article, the sequence was 'originally due to end with a skidoo chase through the village and culminate with Bond and Hinx facing off at a dam'. I know we've seen similar things before, but damn that plane looked clunky sliding towards the barn.

I'm a big fan of Daniel Craig, for sure, but this has always irked me. You're an actor.

irk
    /əːk/
    irritate; annoy.

Irritated or annoyed (slightly) are decent descriptions of my feelings on the matter. I don't think they're perfectly synonymous with outright anger.

Apologies if my original post was misleading! Suffice to say, I'm not angry about it, just a little "annoyed" I guess that we didn't get one of the other two allegedly possible sequences.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited December 2021 Posts: 14,934
    It's not exactly a massively inaccurate description though. Annoyance and irritation at the situation were expressed and Craig was blamed, I asked what are we angry about. Anyway, it doesn't matter.
    edited December 2021 Posts: 7,526
    Yeah, I guess, moving on. I had no idea this was going to be such a hot topic or I wouldn't have brought it up. Especially annoying because I feel like you're the member I agree with the most around here! lol
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Mutual! :)
    I also recall something in about a CIA agent named Charlotte and a black Blofeld. Venutius' post makes me wonder how many ideas come from outside the core team of the producers, script writers, and director. And also, how many abandoned ideas from the Craig era will eventually make their way into future films?

I hope if they do the "multifilm romance" angle again (which I do hope they do) — it'd be an interesting twist if they expanded on some of those cut "the girl is Spectre" ideas. Do a whole enemies-to-lovers Bond arc lol.

Granted, I shouldn't ask EON for anything else considering NTTD was everything I've ever wanted out of one of these movies 😂
    also, how many abandoned ideas from the Craig era will eventually make their way into future films?
    Yes, there must be whole unused scenes already written for discarded drafts that could be dug up and repurposed if they'd suit a new film, as well as plenty of ideas that they didn't go with for whatever reason - someone on here pointed out that the nanobots in NTTD were originally proposed for a Brosnan film, so they've got form for this sort of thing.

Nanobots were used in the Brosnan era Bond game Everything Or Nothing.

• edited December 2021 Posts: 372
    I wouldn't be surprised if in the next series of films, Madeleine becomes in effect the bad guy, like a new Blofeld.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    On the other hand, I would be hugely surprised if that happened! :D
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    We already have Nena Blofeld anyhow. ;)
  • DonnyDB5DonnyDB5 Buffalo, New York
    There’s a mistake I’ve noticedtoward the very end of the movie regarding the layout of Safin’s bunker.

When Bond is in the underground tunnel and sees the doors closing on him, he runs back up what appears to be the first stairwell he used to get to the control room.

Yet, in the next scene, Bond emerges out of the meeting room, where he & Safin first met face to face. It doesn’t line up with the layout of Safin’s lair.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    DonnyDB5 wrote: »
    There’s a mistake I’ve noticedtoward the very end of the movie regarding the layout of Safin’s bunker.

When Bond is in the underground tunnel and sees the doors closing on him, he runs back up what appears to be the first stairwell he used to get to the control room.

Yet, in the next scene, Bond emerges out of the meeting room, where he & Safin first met face to face. It doesn’t line up with the layout of Safin’s lair.

Is that the meeting room? I just thought it was the separate section where the poison garden was (or at least another area that looks similar to it, since there appears to be a couple of areas that have silo doors or something similar hidden under the ponds.) I do think it's one of those things you just take at face value, because I also tried to follow Bond's path when I rewatched it last night and got lost at times. Then again, there are a lot of sections we don't see during both of his travels to the control room, so who knows.
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    DonnyDB5 wrote: »

Is that the meeting room? I just thought it was the separate section where the poison garden was (or at least another area that looks similar to it, since there appears to be a couple of areas that have silo doors or something similar hidden under the ponds.) I do think it's one of those things you just take at face value, because I also tried to follow Bond's path when I rewatched it last night and got lost at times. Then again, there are a lot of sections we don't see during both of his travels to the control room, so who knows.

Yeah, I think the disorientation is by the design. Mark Tildesley (production designer for NTTD) on the special features describes Safin's base as a labyrinth.
  • matt_umatt_u better known as Mr. Roark
    edited December 2021 Posts: 4,343
    Here’s a blooper for you.

During the Matera chase a SPECTRE guy calls the boy on the cellphone and orders him to free the sheep.

As the boy asks “why” the bad guy replies in Italian saying “because otherwise I’ll kill them [the sheep]” while the subtitles translation is “because otherwise I’ll kill you.”
  • ImpertinentGoonImpertinentGoon Everybody needs a hobby.
    matt_u wrote: »
    Here’s a blooper for you.

During the Matera chase a SPECTRE guy calls the boy on the cellphone and orders him to free the sheep.

As the boy asks “why” the bad guy replies in Italian saying “because otherwise I’ll kill them [the sheep]” while the subtitles translation is “because otherwise I’ll kill you.”

That’s a good one to spring on your friends and family on the 15th rewatch 😂
  • matt_umatt_u better known as Mr. Roark
    edited December 2021 Posts: 4,343
    I noticed it during my first view of the film in English. The error is fixed in the Italian dubbed edition of the film tho… just like in SP the Italian dubbed version fixed the wrong pronouncing of the name Sciarra by the priest.
  • ImpertinentGoonImpertinentGoon Everybody needs a hobby.
    Interesting point made on twitter:

Bond says in NTTD that M had Obruchev working on Heracles for 10 years. That’s 5 years after the PTS, which we assume is months or weeks, not years, after the end of SP. Mallory has only been M since the end of SF, which in real life was 3 years prior to SP, which means he would only have been leading MI6 for 8 years at that point.

I don’t recall the exact quote from the film, but I’m pretty sure it is made clear that Mallory was the one who brought in Valdo, not Mansfield. Most likely, Bond is just rounding up, it could also be that SF and SP were kn fact further apart than we thought, but it is still most likely a script inaccuracy.
    edited February 2022 Posts: 7,526
    I think it's safe to assume Spectre was however many years after Skyfall. Nothing to indicate they were close in proximity, really.

Maybe Mallory felt he needed to make a splash as the new head of MI6, and so began this project to eliminate collateral damage from the efforts of the 00 section.

I think you're right, it does seem like Obruchev was fully a Mallory initiative.
  • 00Heaven00Heaven Home
    I think it's safe to assume Spectre was however many years after Skyfall. Nothing to indicate they were close in proximity, really.

Maybe Mallory felt he needed to make a splash as the new head of MI6, and so began this project to eliminate collateral damage from the efforts of the 00 section.

I think you're right, it does seem like Obruchev was fully a Mallory initiative.

I always find it hard to place SP after SF and where it fits. On one hand you could be right but on the other there's the state of Bond's flat... you could argue he's never there or he's just moved in after SF.

Though with M's vid that he's sitting on directing him to Sciarra I find it hard to believe that happened a long time after SF.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Yeah the Dench M tape and the contents of Skyfall lodge being released do suggest it’s not a huge amount of time after SF to me.
  • VenutiusVenutius Yorkshire
    Yeah the Dench M tape and the contents of Skyfall lodge being released do suggest it’s not a huge amount of time after SF to me.

Same - and for the same reasons: the DenchM tape and the release of material from Skyfall. Thinking about it, there is actually a hint that it might be longer than a few weeks/months, when Bond says that DenchM's tape put him on Sciarra's trail a few days after she died and 'I've been tracking him ever since' - would he say 'ever since' if it was only a short time? Hmmm. It's probably just an unintended slip in the script, but it does introduce some uncertainty. Instinctively, however, I always thought there was less time between the internal events of SF and SP than the three years that'd passed between the actual films themselves.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Yes you’re right, I think it’s definitely been a while: I think there’s a suggestion that the Skyfall documents have taken quite a long time to be released too. But as you say, three or five years seems too long.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    I always assumed it was about six months or so between the two films.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    I guess the other linking points are the decommissioning of the old MI6 building, the construction of the new one across the river (which to be fair, surely would take a few years: although perhaps it had started during or even before SF?), and Q’s reconstruction of the DB5. I think with those in mind it could possibly have drifted into being a year or two.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    For sure; and I think it's sort of symptomatic of how narratively wobbly SP is. It's not a dealbreaker but it does show how much the film would have benefited from even just one more draft to sort out those details.

The M tape is a funny thing; why wait so long to have it sent to Bond and coincidentally if it was such a long time, how could she possibly have known where Sciarra was going to be? And yet, a lot of the other things mentioned would feasibly take a year or two, as you say.