Mission: Impossible - films and tv series

Comments

• Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    There's a Mission: Impossible V thread here:

http://www.mi6community.com/index.php?p=/discussion/2187/mission-impossible-v-in-the-pipelines

As for another Bourne, don't count on it.
    Cruise is beginning to start talking about it.
    He says he's happy to make many more of them. At 50 how more can he do? Two at a push at the rate these are made, I would think.
    Still not seen GP yet! Must make a point of seeing it ASAP! :bz
  • edited November 2012 Posts: 418
    In Cruise's latest two movies, his leading ladies are both former Bond girl's..In 'Jack Reacher', his leading lady is Rosamund Pike, and he's just completed 'Oblivion', and his co-star will be Olga Kurylenko..

By the way, i think that Paula Patton has a touch of the 'Martine Beswick's' about her..
    edited November 2012 Posts: 13,350
    Here's the news in the official thread:

http://www.deadline.com/2012/11/paramount-eyes-chris-mcquarrie-to-helm-tom-cruise-in-next-mission-impossible/

I have no idea if this is a good choice or not. Hoping for the best. When will this be out? Christmas 2014? That would be the quickest turnaround yet, if so.
  • I'm looking forward to it. Really enjoyed the last one.
    RogueAgent wrote:
    Still not seen GP yet! Must make a point of seeing it ASAP! :bz

Baddy was pretty crap but other than that it was a brilliant film imo.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    We didn't see enough of the villain to make a judgement really. He COULD have been great.
  • We didn't see enough of the villain to make a judgement really. He COULD have been great.

I think the fact that we barely saw him makes him a crap villian. How are we supposed to be scared of him or root for the good guys to beat him if we barely see him or even hear anything about him? Not the actors fault though.

Shame too because I really liked the villians in the 2nd and 3rd films.
    We didn't see enough of the villain to make a judgement really. He COULD have been great.

I think the fact that we barely saw him makes him a crap villian. How are we supposed to be scared of him or root for the good guys to beat him if we barely see him or even hear anything about him? Not the actors fault though.

Shame too because I really liked the villians in the 2nd and 3rd films.

I think one thing the Mission Impossible series tries to prove is that a film can focus on the hero and still be great. M:I (1) doesn't introduce the villain until nearly the very end. 2 I think had the villain with the most screen time, but 3 and 4 also focused more on the 'team' of heroes rather than the villain.

I think they pull it off, too. You go see a M:I film for Hunt and the team, not the villain.

But GP, imo, cut too much of the villain out. When you go through and watch the deleted scenes, it doesn't make sense not to leave the scenes with the villain in. The deleted scenes add so much to his character. But it's still on of the better of the series.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Yeah, the MI series are team based films, so I can see that, it's just that if you have a villain, give him/her screen time to build that persona for us, and prove their villainy! Or you could do what Nolan did in TDK and make me fall in love with the villain! Is it wrong for me to root against Batman sometimes?!?! ;;)
    i would be fine with a Mission impossible 5
    edited November 2012 Posts: 28,694
    Just so when the last film comes along for Hunt
    he and Julia get back together and are now able to live their lives free of worry.
  • DRESSED_TO_KILLDRESSED_TO_KILL Suspended
    Mission Impossible 1 was great. Its the best out of the series. All of the entries after the first one have sucked IMO. The first one was awesome because it was more realistic and followed a story. It didn't rely on silly stunts or too much action. 2 was bad, 3 was amazingly bad and 4 ..I didn't see 4 and don't plan on it because it looked so unrealistic and kiddy.
    Hmm, basing opinion on something you haven't seen? Well that'll get you everywhere in life. MI1 is okay, but the plot is a mess, a trainwreck. So damn convoluted and tossed about. MI2 is for action fans primarily, but has a decent story to back it up. MI3 is an interesting take where our hero struggles with a steady relationship and the risks of that, and there are some heavy moments. MI4 is the most spectacular in spectacle yet, with great action and eye popping cinematography. The team is great and there is a good mix of drama, comedy, and action. And that last scene gets me every time.
  • DRESSED_TO_KILLDRESSED_TO_KILL Suspended
    Spending my money on a cliched generic action movie with constant unrealistic action and a plot a 5 year could follow? thanks but I'll pass Brady.

• MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Spending my money on a cliched generic action movie with constant unrealistic action and a plot a 5 year could follow? thanks but I'll pass Brady.

You could always go to a library and rent it for free.

• Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator

But you did this exact thing with Skyfall, or so I would surmise from your unsavory, pessimistic review of the film.

GP was high entertainment for me. I still find the second M:I to be my favorite, though.
    The MI films are riddled in cliché. It comes with the genre. And Skyfall isn't a preschool plot, not in the slightest. But you better not say a single good thing about it. If you will be bull headed you might as well be consistent.

A bit late to the party on this one but just seen it for the first time over Christmas, have to say what a great film, genuinley exciting action scenes, the pacing was perfect, if this was a Bond film I would have been over the moon!
    Samuel001 wrote:
    There's a Mission: Impossible V thread here:

http://www.mi6community.com/index.php?p=/discussion/2187/mission-impossible-v-in-the-pipelines

As for another Bourne, don't count on it.

Considering the success of the fourth film, I'd say a fifth 'M:I'-film was only a matter of time ;-). To be honest, I think in its genre 'Mission: Impossible' could end up as the only real competitor of the Bond franchise.
  • Well Bourne seems to be on hiatus for now so yep, doesn't look like there's many rival spy franchises for Bond anytime soon.
    As Gustav and others have mentioned, MI is the most likely to continue? I know Ethan Hunt is in each one! However MI is a more team based movie, so any of the other actors already featured could take over the series? I have not seen the 4th one yet! But i am sure i will enjoy it! :-bd
    RogueAgent wrote:
    As Gustav and others have mentioned, MI is the most likely to continue? I know Ethan Hunt is in each one! However MI is a more team based movie, so any of the other actors already featured could take over the series? I have not seen the 4th one yet! But i am sure i will enjoy it! :-bd
    Have you seen MI3?
    RogueAgent wrote:
    Have you seen MI3?

Yep have seen the first 3. Just not had the opportunity to se GP yet. I did enjoy MI3 though to answer your question. Did you enjoy it?
    RogueAgent wrote:
    RogueAgent wrote:
    Have you seen MI3?

Yep have seen the first 3. Just not had the opportunity to se GP yet. I did enjoy MI3 though to answer your question. Did you enjoy it?

Yes, I do enjoy it. And since you have seen all of them (3 especially), this film will be very much improved for you. See it ASAP! \m/
    I really really enjoyed this movie.

MI movies are becoming better with every next movie.
    MI wasn't really good,MI2 was kinda ok.MI3 was pretty good and MI4 is really good :)
    Here's an update on the fifth film from JJ Abrams:

"We’re working right now on getting a writer. We’re a minute away from being able to discuss that. We have a pretty cool general idea for where this thing is going to go. Tom [Cruise] and Bryan Burk and I couldn’t be more excited about it….I will say that there are some ideas that feel like, “Ooh, I want to see that!” That’s all we ever go for."
    Creasy47 wrote:
    Here's an update on the fifth film from JJ Abrams:

"We’re working right now on getting a writer. We’re a minute away from being able to discuss that. We have a pretty cool general idea for where this thing is going to go. Tom [Cruise] and Bryan Burk and I couldn’t be more excited about it….I will say that there are some ideas that feel like, “Ooh, I want to see that!” That’s all we ever go for."

I hope they include Syndicate in the 5th like they hinted at in the last one. I'd love that so much.

I'm thinking Summer 2015 at this point.
    edited January 2013 Posts: 40,474
    @JWESTBROOK, I would like to think they will. I wonder if they're going to manage getting Patton, Renner, Pegg, and (hopefully) Rhames back. Any one of the latter three not returning will mess up the continuity from the ending of the fourth, and I really want Rhames back.

I think you're right on the 2015 date, or at the earliest, December 2014. He's working on 'All You Need Is Kill Now,' and he was announced to be in 'Van Helsing,' and that's it. It could happen sooner than we expect if they manage finishing a script relatively early.