Mission: Impossible - films and tv series

1457910303

Comments

  • edited January 2012 Posts: 5,745

    I understand, but with the plot Luther couldn't be apart of the mission Ethan and the team was on. With all of IMF disavowed but Ethan and his team, all Luther could do was sit by the wayside as things played out. If MI5 rolls around, he will have a part in the action, don't you worry. You can't have an MI film without good old Luther.

    He said 'MI 5' not 'MI 4'. He wants Luther to be in the next addition to the franchise :P

    But the only problem I see is that you cant have Benji AND Luther. They both do essentially the same job. Vig Rhames cameod at the end, suggesting he may be in the next one, but Simon Pegg is one of the members of the films that says they're interested in a 5th. Hmmm.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    edited January 2012 Posts: 28,694
    JWESTBROOK wrote:

    I understand, but with the plot Luther couldn't be apart of the mission Ethan and the team was on. With all of IMF disavowed but Ethan and his team, all Luther could do was sit by the wayside as things played out. If MI5 rolls around, he will have a part in the action, don't you worry. You can't have an MI film without good old Luther.

    He said 'MI 5' not 'MI 4'. He wants Luther to be in the next addition to the franchise :P

    But the only problem I see is that you cant have Benji AND Luther. They both do essentially the same job. Vig Rhames cameod at the end, suggesting he may be in the next one, but Simon Pegg is one of the members of the films that says they're interested in a 5th. Hmmm.

    I'm aware he said MI5, but I was explaining why he didn't appear in the majority of MI4 because many seem angered at it. I was simply backing up why he wasn't crucial to the story. And by the way, both Benji and Luther were in MI3, so I don't know how MI5 can't have both of them. Ethan used Luther as a sort of on site tech helper, like usual, while Benji was helpful when Ethan wasn't aware of Julia's location near the end of MI3 as well as several more instances in the film. Benji is the "Q" of MI. Luther couldn't provide gadgets, so essentially their jobs aren't as similar as you say.
  • Posts: 5,745

    I'm aware he said MI5, but I was explaining why he didn't appear in the majority of MI4 because many seem angered at it. I was simply backing up why he wasn't crucial to the story. And by the way, both Benji and Luther were in MI3, so I don't know how MI5 can't have both of them. Ethan used Luther as a sort of on site tech helper, like usual, while Benji was helpful when Ethan wasn't aware of Julia's location near the end of MI3 as well as several more instances in the film. Benji is the "Q" of MI. Luther couldn't provide gadgets, so essentially their jobs aren't as similar as you say.

    Um maybe you missed the part where
    Benji becomes a field agent.
    Now his only job is to supply Ethan with Intel and gadgets. Thus your example of MI3 with Benji is void. In the first film, Luther provides everything the team needs to infiltrate the CIA. Its not explicitly shown, but he's the only one that could. Their jobs are far to similar to have them working on one team. That'd be a waste of company resources. One could easily do the others job. In MI3 Luther was needed, but was used more as a friend of Ethan. In the 4th Benji fills that role as well. He's no longer stuck back at HQ.
  • edited November 2020 Posts: 121
    1
  • Posts: 5,745
    JamesC wrote:
    And it wasn't because the team was disavowed, Luthor could easily have taken Benji's spot in the prison breakout sequence (and thus been on the team the whole film). It was because of budgetary reasons. Ving looked quite old in the cameo anyway.

    True. They've rather switched positions haven't they. Vig needs to be the one helping from afar, and Benji, the younger, in the field.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Posts: 28,694
    Luther still had the job at the end of MI4 to look for the deactivated nuclear device Ethan stopped.
  • Posts: 5,745
    Luther still had the job at the end of MI4 to look for the deactivated nuclear device Ethan stopped.

    And whats your point? I never said he ISNT a field agent any longer, I've just said the writers have now caused a problem by having two carriers perform VERY similar duties.

    Never said anyone lost their job, just pointed out a conflict in the films.
  • Posts: 304
    I know that Benji and Luther have similar duties. Simon Pegg was great as Dunn in Ghost Protocol and without him this film would't be so fantastic (he had such a great interactions with Ethan and Brandt).
    But I'm a sentimental guy (as Ethan if you remember ending of MI4) so for me will be marvelous if Rhames/Luther will return even in short role/cameo.
  • edited January 2012 Posts: 12,837
    There's no reason why benji and luther can't be in MI5. Yeah they do similar stuff but why can't they work together doing it??? And I miss the guy from MI2 who drove the van and piloted the helicopter.
  • Posts: 5,745
    There's no reason why benji and luther can't be in MI5. Yeah they do similar stuff but why can't they work together doing it??? And I miss the guy from MI2 who drove the van and piloted the helicopter.

    Unfortunately the limited the Australian to Australia :/ I liked him too.

    And yes, Luther and Benji could easily work together, but I'm pointing out the weakness in continuity of the films. Why would they write two very similar characters into the films, when they know they could have easily just used the first one.

    Pre-MI:IV I would say leave Benji back in HQ as a more 'Q' type guy, and keep Luther in the field. But since Pegg's performance, and the great humor he produced, I now kind of want Luther left out, and I love him too.

    The writers of the films have created a very unnecessary conflict, that will be hard to straighten out in the next film.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Posts: 28,694
    Just have Luther stay back like usual, then have Benji in the field again. Luther provides exterior support, Benji interior. And tech isn't Benji's only job. He also had to play up a disguise. The job could throw a number of things at Benji besides logistical problems.
  • edited November 2012 Posts: 9,822
    Finally saw ghost protocol and it was brilliant I loved it.

    I'm ready for a 5th one
  • Posts: 304
    Risico007 wrote:
    I'm ready for a 5th one

    So Am I (but with Luther) :)
  • edited November 2020 Posts: 121
    1
  • JamesBond wrote:
    It's reported that Tom Cruise is interested to reprise his role once again as Ethan Hunt, along with Simon Pegg returning as Benji Dunn and Brad Bird is eyed to direct another film in the series.

    http://www.moviehole.net/201149903-exclusive-pegg-bird-on-mission-impossible-5-tom-cruise-not-retiring-ethan-hunt-after-all

    I do hope not. I thought Ghost Protocol was sloppy and slap-dash. The direction wasnt the best, it had a dull, all-to-predictable story and finally, Tom Cruise is starting to look too old to pull this kind of stuff off anymore.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Posts: 28,694
    JamesBond wrote:
    It's reported that Tom Cruise is interested to reprise his role once again as Ethan Hunt, along with Simon Pegg returning as Benji Dunn and Brad Bird is eyed to direct another film in the series.

    http://www.moviehole.net/201149903-exclusive-pegg-bird-on-mission-impossible-5-tom-cruise-not-retiring-ethan-hunt-after-all

    I do hope not. I thought Ghost Protocol was sloppy and slap-dash. The direction wasnt the best, it had a dull, all-to-predictable story and finally, Tom Cruise is starting to look too old to pull this kind of stuff off anymore.

    Did we see the same film??
  • Posts: 5,745
    JamesBond wrote:
    It's reported that Tom Cruise is interested to reprise his role once again as Ethan Hunt, along with Simon Pegg returning as Benji Dunn and Brad Bird is eyed to direct another film in the series.

    http://www.moviehole.net/201149903-exclusive-pegg-bird-on-mission-impossible-5-tom-cruise-not-retiring-ethan-hunt-after-all

    I do hope not. I thought Ghost Protocol was sloppy and slap-dash. The direction wasnt the best, it had a dull, all-to-predictable story and finally, Tom Cruise is starting to look too old to pull this kind of stuff off anymore.

    Did we see the same film??

    I'm sitting here awe-struck. They did release the same version internationally, correct?
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    edited January 2012 Posts: 28,694
    JWESTBROOK wrote:
    JamesBond wrote:
    It's reported that Tom Cruise is interested to reprise his role once again as Ethan Hunt, along with Simon Pegg returning as Benji Dunn and Brad Bird is eyed to direct another film in the series.

    http://www.moviehole.net/201149903-exclusive-pegg-bird-on-mission-impossible-5-tom-cruise-not-retiring-ethan-hunt-after-all

    I do hope not. I thought Ghost Protocol was sloppy and slap-dash. The direction wasnt the best, it had a dull, all-to-predictable story and finally, Tom Cruise is starting to look too old to pull this kind of stuff off anymore.

    Did we see the same film??

    I'm sitting here awe-struck. They did release the same version internationally, correct?

    Now that you mention that I do remember hearing news that a cat version was being released. I haven't seen it, but here's a teaser for what @Mr_Sterling might've seen:
  • Posts: 3,169
    It premiered in my country today, and I found it to be great. Only men were in the theatre somehow. I wonder why! :))

    But IMO, it doesn't beat the third one, which I found to be bigger in scale. It also had a much better villain!
  • Posts: 5,745
    Zekidk wrote:
    It premiered in my country today, and I found it to be great. Only men were in the theatre somehow. I wonder why! :))

    But IMO, it doesn't beat the third one, which I found to be bigger in scale. It also had a much better villain!

    How was the third bigger in scale? You had America, Germany (briefly), and then China.

    IV you have Russia, India, Dubai and far larger set pieces which were alot more extravagant than MI III.

    Explain.
  • edited January 2012 Posts: 3,169
    JWESTBROOK wrote:
    Zekidk wrote:
    It premiered in my country today, and I found it to be great. Only men were in the theatre somehow. I wonder why! :))

    But IMO, it doesn't beat the third one, which I found to be bigger in scale. It also had a much better villain!

    How was the third bigger in scale? You had America, Germany (briefly), and then China.

    IV you have Russia, India, Dubai and far larger set pieces which were alot more extravagant than MI III.

    Explain.
    MI4 was Hunt's team acting alone in three different locations. MI3 had a lot more players and locations involved. And a better script. But it was still great! Especially the Dubai-scenes.

    But MI3 had the excellent Vatican-infiltration in Italy, the magnificent set-piece on the Miami-bridge, an awesome helicopter-chase in Berlin, a carchase in Shanghai... and Philip Seymour Hoffman (motivated by greed), who unlike Michael Nyqvist (motivated by global destruction) brought real character and depth to his role!
  • Posts: 5,745
    Mission Impossible IV was #1 internationally AGAIN this weekend. Its now the highest grossing film in the franchise, beating the second installment with $570M worldwide.




    There's going to be a sequel. Period.
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    edited January 2012 Posts: 13,353
    It'll break $600 million, just as it was thought at the start of the month and also pass $215 million in US.

    The next film should be on it's way in 2014 if things get moving now. And rumour has it they are...
  • M_BaljeM_Balje Amsterdam, Netherlands
    edited February 2012 Posts: 4,487
    http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=mi4.htm

    Mi4 beat Casino Royale and QOS. CR 594 million, QOS 586 Mi4 599 million.

    Mi franchise is back in beating Bond. The first 2 movies already beat the first 20 Bond movies but Mi3 be the first and only Mission Impossible who is beat by Daniel Craig his Bond. For the deliever of Europe QOS stil be the winner followd by CR and then Mi4. For the Usa, Mi4 wins also, deliever in the usa what Moonraker deliever in total.
  • Posts: 3,169
    Doesn't really say much. Maybe it's due to marketing.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Posts: 23,839
    Plus, competition is very low these days. M:I 4 is about the only satisfying action film currently playing. I agree though that it is a brilliant film and so its impressive box office performance is well deserved.
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    edited February 2012 Posts: 13,353
    Can it make $215 million in the US? It's going to be close...

    Great box office result with another film on the way, though we may have to wait a while for it. It may be best to make the fifth film the final one.
  • edited February 2012 Posts: 2,107
    Great film. Just came from seeing it. James Bond has a lot of catching up to do. Even though they are two different kinds of franchises. Mission Impossible, more now than before, is all about the 'wow'. Crazy stunts all around. I wonder how a movie star like Cruise could always put this much effort in the stunt work. It's hard to think of many actors that put themselves in a harm's way, like Cruise does, and he's pushing fifty! Anyway, I'd place this movie somewhere behind the first (have soft spot for the film. I've seen all the MI films in the cinema, and somehow the first of anything will remain the best...your favorite. And Palma's a great director too) and before 3.

    It was also nice to see a finnish thug played by an actual finn :D And along big american stars too. (If you can call Cruise a star these days)
  • edited February 2012 Posts: 1,661
    This thread is a betrayal of James Bond.

    I say... "all true James Bond fans - say no to this Bond franchise impostor that is Mission Inconsequential!"

    "Mi franchise is back in beating Bond. The first 2 movies already beat the first 20 Bond movies "

    Nah, that's silly talk. Adjusted for inflation - Thunderball took huge box office - $800 million or more in today's money.

  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Posts: 28,694
    fanbond123 wrote:
    This thread is a betrayal of James Bond.

    I say... "all true James Bond fans - say no to this Bond franchise impostor that is Mission Inconsequential!"

    "Mi franchise is back in beating Bond. The first 2 movies already beat the first 20 Bond movies "

    Nah, that's silly talk. Adjusted for inflation - Thunderball took huge box office - $800 million or more in today's money.
    Don't take things to the heart so much. MI4 was bloody brilliant, on action and story, and the entertainment value of it has something to be garnered for. It deserves the praise. I have seen few films that can so perfectly match action, comedy, emotion, and music into such a wonderful package. Bond DOES need to step it up, and I think Skyfall will bring that.
Sign In or Register to comment.