Mission: Impossible - films and tv series

Comments

^ I agree. Good competition make for good Bond. Hopefully Bourne stepped it up, too. Maybe Renner was taking some good notes during MI4.

The movie is excellent, one of the most entertaining movies I've seen in a wwwhhhiiillleee.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    JWESTBROOK wrote:
    ^ I agree. Good competition make for good Bond. Hopefully Bourne stepped it up, too. Maybe Renner was taking some good notes during MI4.

The movie is excellent, one of the most entertaining movies I've seen in a wwwhhhiiillleee.

It truly has something for everybody. For big spy freaks, for comedy lovers who want a few laughs, for people who like drama, for people who like action and adventure, and for people who simply want to be entertained with some popcorn by the side.

I don't think the Bourne films have to take any notes, but it will be interesting to see what the film can do without Bourne. I am curious as to what the plot will be, and who Renner will be playing alongside Rachel and the rest of the cast.
    I hope Craig has a cameo in the new Bourne :P
    SharkBait wrote:
    I hope Craig has a cameo in the new Bourne :P

It'd be hilarious to have a scene where Renner is at a meeting at an outdoor cafe, and you see Craig run by with his pouty face, Ford suit, and earpiece.

I really want to see that now. It would be hilarious.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Or Renner's character and "Bond" have to fight off a few thugs and Renner's character asks "where'd you learn to fight like that?!" ;)
  • edited February 2012 Posts: 5,745
    Or Renner's character and "Bond" have to fight off a few thugs and Renner's character asks "where'd you learn to fight like that?!" ;)
    That even nods to MI4! All three major action pictures cameod at once. Beautiful.
    UPDATE:

Mission Impossible IV will make the series a $2 Billion Dollar value. The total gross atm is 1.987 Billion, and with it still hitting theaters worldwide, plus its DVD/BR release, the series will have earned 2 Billion dollars in 4 films.

SN: what has Bond made, total, including inflation?
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    It'll make $2 billion within days, it won't need any DVD for help with that. (Not that they count anyway.)

Bond has made nearly $12 billion worldwide, inflation adjusted.
    Samuel001 wrote:
    It'll make $2 billion within days, it won't need any DVD for help with that. (Not that they count anyway.)

Wow! How are MGM and Barbs not Billionaires?
    edited February 2012 Posts: 13,350
    JWESTBROOK wrote:
    Samuel001 wrote:

Wow! How are MGM and Barbs not Billionaires?

MGM may not be due to the recent bankruptcy but I'm sure many that work for EON are worth quite a lot. It's all telephone numbers.
  • edited February 2012 Posts: 3,169
    SharkBait wrote:
    Great film. Just came from seeing it. James Bond has a lot of catching up to do.
    No!

I really liked MI4 (great actionscenes and use of locations), but let's be real: Ethan Hunt (Tom Cruise) has aged a lot since MI3 (notice his wrinkles). His character was not as involving as in MI3 where it got personal and he faced a much more menacing and better-written villain threatening his wife. He had a lot less lines in MI4 and looked a lot more like a cardboard action character than in MI3.

The script in MI4 was probably the worst of the four. A madman trying to start a global nuclear war? Bond has been there and done that.... in the eighties!
    A movies not all in the plot.

You have 15+ Bond movies to exemplify that.
  • fanbond123 wrote:
    This thread is a betrayal of James Bond.

I say... "all true James Bond fans - say no to this Bond franchise impostor that is Mission Inconsequential!"

THERE CAN BE ONLY ONE!

On a serious note I'm a huge Bond fan and I also love the M:I franchise. I never bought into the idea (mostly prevelant on the interwebs) that we're only allowed to like one genre film/series and the one you like RULES! and all the other ones SUCK!

As someone else said, maybe it will give EON even more incentive to bring their A game to SF...

• M:I:GP 600 million worldwide....!
    On it's way to $650 million.

Skyfall has it all to play for.
    I'm all in for another MI - film with Cruise. But when it's done, they can continue in what ever way they wish. It's not like Ethan Hunt is the only hero operative in MIF. They can either reboot it for all I care, or continue with a new lead. MI franchise is full of potential to be a rival for Bond. In my humble opinion that is. These movies are exiting! It's hard to believe it's been a sixteen years already for these movies. A life time for some... I was old enough too see the first and every MI movie after that in the cinema. Even if I'm quite young myself. But seeing these movies started (and I had seen episodes of the series before the first movie) during my youth, it's not that hard to believe how excited I am for this franchise to continue. So far there hasn't been a huge failure in the franchise. I could see this franchise continuing for quite some while.
  • edited February 2012 Posts: 12,837
    Like I said before, I really enjoyed ghost protocol. It was the perfect mix of seriousness, homour and gadgets. Bond should take some inspiration for skyfall. Roll on MI-5 (sounds wierd because I keep thinking of the actual MI5). I like cruise but I hope when he does retire that they don't end the franchise for good. The great thing about mission impossible is that the franchise doesn't evolve around one character. Sure ethan hunt is always the main guy, but once cruise leaves they could just as easily get another guy in and make him the star.

I hope we see the team from GP plus luther for the next film, already excited.
    Final figures worldwide: $694,713,380
    Zekidk wrote:

Final figures: 94%. One percentage higher than its start!

• TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    94%???!!!

More convoluted than ever with set pieces that didn't really blow me away. Don't get me wrong it was decent enough but even without seeing SF I'm think I'm on pretty safe ground saying it will blow MI:GP out of the water.
    Though I love the film, a 94% is too high.

Especially considering the lack of the villain that they cut from the film.
    JWESTBROOK wrote:

Especially considering the lack of the villain that they cut from the film.
    Considering that films like Casablanca have 97%s.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    MI2 is still my favourite... :-$
    edited October 2012 Posts: 28,694
    chrisisall wrote:
    MI2 is still my favourite... :-$

YOU HAVE GOT TO BE JOKING?! HAVE YOU EVEN SEEN THE OTHER FILMS?! COME ON, THAT IS JUST...

...totally fine. Just joking with you. :P
    edited October 2012 Posts: 17,691
    Hahahahaha, I just have a hard time taking Tom seriously in those movies, and MI2 is his comic book one, so it goes down a bit smoother with me, although MI3 was pretty dang cool because of Maggie Q. ^:)^
    chrisisall wrote:
    Hahahahaha, I just have a hard time taking Tom seriously in those movies, and MI2 is his comic book one, so it goes down a bit smoother with me, although MI4 was pretty dang cool because of Maggie Q. ^:)^

That was MI3, mate. :))
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    Paula Patton......damn, what a woman.
    That was MI3, mate. :))
    D'oh! Thanks. Changed.
    fanbond123 wrote:
    This thread is a betrayal of James Bond.

I say... "all true James Bond fans - say no to this Bond franchise impostor that is Mission Inconsequential!"

THERE CAN BE ONLY ONE!

On a serious note I'm a huge Bond fan and I also love the M:I franchise. I never bought into the idea (mostly prevelant on the interwebs) that we're only allowed to like one genre film/series and the one you like RULES! and all the other ones SUCK!

As someone else said, maybe it will give EON even more incentive to bring their A game to SF...

Nice Highlander reference great film great show

On topic Cruise is beginning to discuss MI5 Which is fine by me.
    Now if we can get some new on the Bourne Betrayal I'll be happy.