Mission: Impossible - films and tv series

Comments

jake24 wrote: »
    Ooowh, by the way dear Bond fans. I spotted her ;;). And I'm not lying. During the Blenheim Castle sequence there are a few shots of all those expensive cars. And if you look closely, you can see her: The Aston Martin DB5 B-).

I had one slight feeling of "How sweet and utterly charming Mr McQuarrie, giving a cameo to Bond's car :-)". It's so nice if directors refer to Bond films in such a delicate, respectful way :-).
    See my post above. And I think it was the DB6.

Hmmm, I couldn't see clearly if it was a DB5 or DB6.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure I'm the only one who loves M:I-2 as much as I do. It's probably my favorite in the series. The last time I watched it, though, the problems with it really did stand out, but still, it's very good.
    I love that one as well. Hopkins' dialogue is exceptionally witty.
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    I wonder why M:I2 finishes last in the ranking with so many people?
    Everything was breathtaking about that movie and it has the best sound as well. Metallica was just perfect for that movie.
    Metallica was just perfect for that movie.

:-??
  • edited August 2015 Posts: 11,119
    I wonder why M:I2 finishes last in the ranking with so many people?
    Everything was breathtaking about that movie and it has the best sound as well. Metallica was just perfect for that movie.

It's simply a matter of taste. Yes, the film is the most succesful within the franchise taking into account solely the USA. But....I just didn't like the film that much. I found the score way way too techno. Similar to "Die Another Day". And overall the film lacked a bit of class and style, that usually goes hand in hand with the Impossible Mission Force.

Hence why I LOVED "Rogue Nation". The cinematography (aerial shots Vienna, Havana, Morocco, and especially London, camera shots/positions: MI6-boss Atlee with Ilsa, graveyard scene between Lane and Faust, again London is shot in Bond-style class), the acting (Sean Harris as the Silva-esque Solomon Lane; Rebecca Ferguson and her dialogue...and legs, now instantly should us realize we're talking about 'Hunt-girls' from now on), the production design and costume design (The auction at Blenheim, the expensive Moroccan villa, the opera in Vienna), the action ("Bullitt"-esque motor-/car chas, a slightly over-the-top buttt fun and gripping underwater sequence with fantastic sound editing.... is not as over the top as in "Ghost Protocol")

"Rogue Nation" is by far the classiest "M:I"-film. And compared to "Kingsman", all the Bond references in "Rogue Nation" felt sincere and utterly charming. As if Christopher McQuarrie made a deep bow for the directors who helmed the recent Daniel Craig Bond films. And it gave me a warm feeling :-).

Most importantly, the plot is perhaps as far-fetched as "Skyfall" (there were a lot of 'incidents' Ethan Hunt was mentioning, like the crash of an jumbojet over Asian territory, that seemed a bit...far-fetched to link it solely to one syndicate), but it does seems more realistic from a geopolitical point of view. Like Silva, also Lane seems to be a slightly larger-than-life ex-spy-turned-computer-hacker. And by turning MI-6 in this film into a failed intelligence organisation who looses control over rogue agents (Think NSA, Richard Snowden, Julian Assange) it makes us also wonder how bad or good, or how ethically just nation's secret services are nowadays.

A big fat 8.0/10.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    @chrisisall, I also loved Hopkins in it. For the short amount of time he has in it, he does have some good dialogue.

"What, to go to bed with a man and lie to him? She's a woman, she has all the training she needs."
  • edited August 2015 Posts: 533
    I enjoyed "ROGUE NATION" very much, but I still enjoyed "GHOST PROTOCOL" and the first "MISSION IMPOSSIBLE" more. I found the movie's beginning a bit rushed. Jeremy Renner and Ving Rhames were almost wasted in this film. Otherwise, I still enjoyed it.

Most importantly, the plot is perhaps as far-fetched as "Skyfall"

I still found "SKYFALL" more farfetched. But there were moments when the story for "ROGUE NATION" was on shaky ground.
    @chrisisall, I also loved Hopkins in it. For the short amount of time he has in it, he does have some good dialogue.

"What, to go to bed with a man and lie to him? She's a woman, she has all the training she needs."
    So un PC; I love it.
    Yeah, I'd have to say that one's my favourite still...
    chrisisall wrote: »

So un PC; I love it.

You and I both, glad I'm not the only one thinking that. Love that film.
    edited August 2015 Posts: 17,698
    chrisisall wrote: »

So un PC; I love it.

You and I both, glad I'm not the only one thinking that. Love that film.
    My favourite score by Zimmer (even better than Broken Arrow) PLUS Tom's cool original Battlestar Galactica hair!
    That hairdo of Tom's in M:I-2 is made of magic, I believe. I want that hair, just so I can do stuff in slow motion and look even cooler.
  • DoctorKaufmannDoctorKaufmann Can shoot you from Stuttgart and still make it look like suicide.
    jake24 wrote: »
    On another note, forgive me if this was already discussed, but there is a scene in RN filmed at Blenheim palace which I can't help but think is very similar to the Spectre Blenheim scenes. When the SP scenes were being filmed, I distinctly remember seeing a set photo of the parking lot, where an AM DB6 was seen. In Rogue Nation, the same car can be seen in the very same parking lot. Can anyone explain this?

From what I was reading, the AM DB6 is in it as a nod towards Bond.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    But what are the chances of that same car parked in the same lot at the same location in two different movies?
    That hairdo of Tom's in M:I-2 is made of magic, I believe. I want that hair, just so I can do stuff in slow motion and look even cooler.

I prefer Connery's toupet :-P.
    I prefer Connery's toupet :-P.
    LOL, what a toupet???
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    It's not just Cruise that wants to start shooting MI6 next summer, but the studio wants to as well. Paramount wants this for summer 2017, preferably June or July.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/new...est-tom-814496

Sweet really hoping scrip[t is by Drew Pearce and Chris Mcquarrie and directed by Mcquarrie again. If Tom has to have a different director I would request Tony (Bourne Legacy) Gilroy.
    I'm not a fan of Cruise's personal life, but I very much respect his film smarts. He is really the brains behind the entire MI franchise, and he is very astute in his choice of directors and script writers. I thought MI5 was terrific and SP has really had the gauntlet thrown down to equal MI5's quality. I wish EON was as smart as Cruise in choosing the right production team for their Bonds.
    Is this the ending that has been re-written entirely? Thus being part of a big collection of deleted scenes?

mi5.jpg
    more then likely yes I completely forgot about this picture.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited August 2015 Posts: 23,883
    I'm happy to report that I just watched this for the 2nd time. My first review was in this thread on August 3rd. This is the first film of 2015 that has warranted a 2nd theatre watch for me.

I liked it more this time. It was great the first time and it's brilliant the second time around. This could be my 2nd favourite MI film, just after De Palma's first. It edges GP for me.

Highlights this time around (in no particular order):

1. the score is absolutely brilliant. I love how they wove in the MI theme into the score without just repeating it over and over again in full blast. It was noticeable but different each time because of the way it was subtly incorporated. EON hasn't done that with the Bond theme since GE imho, because they haven't had this kind of talent in the scoring dept.

2. Rebecca Ferguson had an even more intoxicating effect on me this time around. I was quite mesmerized by her whenever she was on screen. The last time a woman did that to me on film was Eva Green in CR. Before that, the last time I was so impressed with a newcomer was Izabella Scorupco in GE (a fellow Swede). Truly a stunning woman and I liked her understated approach to acting. Her look says a thousand words. Superb. I'm hoping Seydoux has a similar and rare effect in SP.

3. Tom Cruise really has matured as an actor, and particularly as Ethan Hunt. There is a weariness about him this time around....a sort of knowing exhaustion....it's again very subtle and in the muted expressions that he shows from time to time. An example is the 'give me a moment will you' hand gesture on the rafters in the theatre when the thug was about to take him out. It's a long way from the young whippersnapper he was in the original MI, and actually I prefer him this way.

4. The action is bloody brilliant - even more so for me this time around. The theatre scene is a work of art (and while heavily influenced by QoS I think it blows that film's sequence completely away). The underwater scene to replace the disc was very well done, and the BMW car chase and bike chase in Morocco was incredible.

5. Finally, I really enjoyed the humour. It was, again, very subtle, all too knowing, and not too in your face.

This is one of the best films I've seen in years..........actually since GP & SF. It's now a 95% from me.

Congratulations. Excellent job by all concerned. Well done and bring on MI6!
  • M_BaljeM_Balje Amsterdam, Netherlands
    edited August 2015 Posts: 4,463
    I think it time Universal going to repeat tv spot on tv for some extra money. It help Jurassic World to repeat tv spot.

After 2 weaks the movie did 1,9 million, 500.000 les then Mi4 whyle in first week the movie did better then Mi4. Those days a disapointed second week look like normal and iam a bit curious what movie did in the third and fourth week. Ghost Protocol did at the end almoost 5 million and 4 million of those in the first 4 weaks.

About the directer for Mission Impossible 6:

Christopher McQuarrie. Return from Mi5.
    Brad Bird. Return from Mi4, but with crew of Mi5.
    J.J. Abrams. Return from Mi3, but with crew of Mi5.

Because Tom Cruise whant something difrent, what about one of those two:

Michaël R. Roskam. (The Drop) Belgium directer. There are some crew members who work on Drop and some other movies who are very intresting for Mission Impossible movie.
    Andrew Dominik (Killing Them Softly 2012, The Assassination of Jesse James)

But i think based on picture that hinted something about the future , i think Tom Cruise go for people like:

Brian Percival (The Book Thief)
    Joachim Rønning, Espen Sandberg. When there are finished with POTC 5 for July or December 2019 release or if possible December 2018.
    Bryan Singer. Possible to bissy.

July 2017 is mabey to soon, atleast it wil be December 2017. In other words: I think the 6th movie wil be delayd whyle Mi5 whas push back to earlier release date.

mission-impossible.jpg
    Is this the ending that has been re-written entirely? Thus being part of a big collection of deleted scenes?[/img]

No, that deleted scene takes place in the US Embassy in Morocco. You can see the word "Embassy" on the floor.
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb

MI5 is still No 2 in Switzerland (only Compton had more tickets sold last week).
    It's doing as good in Germany too.

Minions is now looking at 1.1 billion in about a week. It's still the No 1 family movie by far.
    Inside Out has yet to open in many parts of Europe.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited September 2015 Posts: 23,883

I'm very glad to hear this. The film deserves a higher gross than it's getting. The best of the year so far for me, along with MM-FR.

I'm glad it's finally surpassed that POS 50 Shades of Grey globally (I'll be ecstatic if that thing can be knocked out of the top 10 before the year is up).

Hopefully MI-RN can hit $200M in the US (unlikely, but I hope it can just eke it out).
  • Didnt get to see it at the cinema. When's the DVD out?
    I saw it the other day for the third time at the cinema, and it still was a lot of fun, despite the repeated viewing :-).
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    I thought it was a great fun action film. I'll definitely be getting it on Bluray.
  • It seems "Mission: Impossible 5 - Rogue Nation" won't duplicate the immense success of predecessor "Ghost Protocol". So far the China box office take is pretty succesful, but it isn't able to fully expand on the success of "Ghost Protocol" in China. In the USA "Rogue Nation" still falls behind "Ghost Protocol".

A comparison I just made:
    "Mission: Impossible 4 - Ghost Protocol"

$29,556,629 --> Opening Weekend

$209,397,903 --> Domestic Gross (North-America) (with theatre count of 3,555)
    $101,232,739 --> China Gross
    $069,695,185 --> Japan Gross
    $051,069,827 --> South-Korea Gross
    $012,997,636 --> Mexico Gross
    $250,320,090 --> Rest Of The World TOTAL +

"Mission: Impossible 5 - Rogue Nation"

$55,520,089 --> Opening Weekend

$192,813,302 --> Domestic Gross (North-America) (with theatre count of 3,988)
    $120,290,000 --> China Gross
    $038,200,000 --> Japan Gross
    $039,991,710 --> South-Korea Gross
    $012,546,288 --> Mexico Gross
    $253,672,002 --> Rest Of The World TOTAL +

It's now pretty safe to say "Rogue Nation" won't beat "Ghost Protocol"s impressive box office run.