Mission: Impossible - films and tv series

Comments

Close enough...

Actually, those numbers pretty much equal my feelings concerning those two films. RN was splendid entertainment, but somehow it didn´t quite reach GP. ;-)
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    boldfinger wrote: »
    Close enough...

Actually, those numbers pretty much equal my feelings concerning those two films. RN was splendid entertainment, but somehow it didn´t quite reach GP. ;-)

My thoughts exactly, 100%: RN was great, but not as great as GP.
  • boldfinger wrote: »
    Close enough...

I thought RN was clearly the better, more realistic and intelligent film of the two. The reason it slightly underperformed as compared to GP, was mainly marketing, rescheduling the film to a still crowded timeframe (late summer), and slightly lackluster and delayed publicity (late trailer).
  • M_BaljeM_Balje Amsterdam, Netherlands
    There first plan 3D release of movie too on Bluray, but i notice there canceld it. So on this moment it look like there only going to be 1 disc Bluray disc and 1 disc dvd. Nothing special as there did with Mi3 and Mi4 who be avaible with bonus disc. Dutch release date: 16 December 2015.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    M_Balje wrote: »
    There first plan 3D release of movie too on Bluray, but i notice there canceld it. So on this moment it look like there only going to be 1 disc Bluray disc and 1 disc dvd. Nothing special as there did with Mi3 and Mi4 who be avaible with bonus disc. Dutch release date: 16 December 2015.

Best Buy is getting a US steelbook, showcasing the motorcycle scene from the movie. I'll be picking that version up, can't wait to give this another watch.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited September 2015 Posts: 23,883
    Close enough...

I thought RN was clearly the better, more realistic and intelligent film of the two. The reason it slightly underperformed as compared to GP, was mainly marketing, rescheduling the film to a still crowded timeframe (late summer), and slightly lackluster and delayed publicity (late trailer).

I agree. I think scheduling in the summer was the major factor. Marketing was poor too.

Additionally, GP seemed to be more 'in your face' with the Dubai stunt etc. It seemed more action oriented & 'louder'. RN is more cerebral (relatively speaking) and actually, Bond-like, rather than FF like (a little less action, a little more spy).

Finally, I think there is an underlying 'spy fatigue' or even 'action fatigue' that we are not able to measure, but it's there. There was nothing like GP that year. There have been many spy flicks and spy spoofs this year, as well as many outlandish action flics.
    Does anyone else kinda wish MI6 to be the last MI movie ?

It will make a perfect sense to have 2 types of "trilogies" to end this amazing franchise. Or maybe you'd rather see more awesome M:I action ?
  • dragonsky wrote: »

It will make a perfect sense to have 2 types of "trilogies" to end this amazing franchise. Or maybe you'd rather see more awesome M:I action ?

Personally, I think GP and RN are "Mission: Impossible"s "Goldfinger" and "Thunderball". They made certain that the USA have their own 'James Bond' now: The Impossible Mission Force. And I think the "M:I"-franchise is one of those rare action franchises that will stay with us until we die from natural cause at a good age :-). Like James Bond...
    edited September 2015 Posts: 23,883
    dragonsky wrote: »

Personally, I think GP and RN are "Mission: Impossible"s "Goldfinger" and "Thunderball". They made certain that the USA have their own 'James Bond' now: The Impossible Mission Force. And I think the "M:I"-franchise is one of those rare action franchises that will stay with us until we die from natural cause at a good age :-). Like James Bond...

That's true (about the GF/TB thing) but I really don't think it can really survive past Cruise.....at least not with the same level of success.

In fact, I don't know of one other spy series that can outlive its actor in the role. Even Jack Ryan is suffering. Bond is unique that way. I'm sure Hollywood is quite envious about that.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    bondjames wrote: »

That's true (about the GF/TB thing) but I really don't think it can really survive past Cruise.....at least not with the same level of success.

Another job for Chris Pratt? ;)

Another job for Chris Pratt? ;)

That's a good point. Pratt is the quintessential everyman (or at least seems so). He's going to be one busy guy over the next few yrs.
  • bondjames wrote: »

In fact, I don't know of one other spy series that can outlive its actor in the role. Even Jack Ryan is suffering. Bond is unique that way. I'm sure Hollywood is quite envious about that.

That was the main convention about James Bond in the late 60's :-). It's an important choice Tom Cruise sooner or later has to make as well. So much of the success of this franchise is centered around his character, Ethan Hunt. What will he do? Go the 'Jason Bourne'-way, and cast a complete new actor in a complete new role ("The Bourne Legacy"), or does he prefer a new actor to play the same role ("On Her Majesty's Secret Service"). With both options we saw both franchises survive. I expect that of "Mission: Impossible" too.

I don´t see anything in the MI franchise that would hint at or borrow itself to one or more trilogies.

That was the main convention about James Bond in the late 60's :-). It's an important choice Tom Cruise sooner or later has to make as well. So much of the success of this franchise is centered around his character, Ethan Hunt. What will he do? Go the 'Jason Bourne'-way, and cast a complete new actor in a complete new role ("The Bourne Legacy"), or does he prefer a new actor to play the same role ("On Her Majesty's Secret Service"). With both options we saw both franchises survive. I expect that of "Mission: Impossible" too.
    A devoted marketing campaign could make the audience aware of the idea that the tv series upon which Tom Cruise based his films thrived without any Ethan Hunt. This approach could suffer from a possible re-boot-weariness of the audience ;-).

• mcdonbbmcdonbb deep in the Heart of Texas
    Disturbs me that the worldwide gross of MI:RN is setting a high bar for Bond?

If Bond fails then has to prove itself again.

But then Bond always steps up when the underdog.

Might be good for Bond in long run.

• edited September 2015 Posts: 5,767
    mcdonbb wrote: »

I have no sure feeling about wether or not I´m going to like SP, but I have a dead sure feeling that it´s going to make sh*tloads of money at the b.o.. Just look at the title song: released a day, and apparently instantly N°1 on billboard. It wouldn´t be like that if there weren´t an enormous anticipation for the film.

If you look at how well even the widely-hated DAD and QoS did financially, it seems impossible for SP to "fail".

• DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    If you look at how well even the widely-hated DAD and QoS did financially, it seems impossible for SP to "fail".

LTK was in top 12 world wide films of 1989 against a motherload of huge blockbusters, and it had a non-existent budget and minimal promotional campaign compared to those behemoths. 95% of movie studios in 2015 would kill to be able to make a top 15 box office hit of the year with almost 0 effort to promote it.
  • boldfinger wrote: »

I have no sure feeling about wether or not I´m going to like SP, but I have a dead sure feeling that it´s going to make sh*tloads of money at the b.o.. Just look at the title song: released a day, and apparently instantly N°1 on billboard. It wouldn´t be like that if there weren´t an enormous anticipation for the film.

People still underestimate the success of "Skyfall". It basically laid out such a perfect groundwork for "SPECTRE". Something we haven't experienced since 1964/1965.

You know, I recall there was anticipation in the 1990's for the follow-ups to Pierce Brosnan's "GoldenEye". But those movies seemed to be just 'there' you know. Nothing that special about it. Actually, in the 1990's "Mission: Impossible", "Die Hard", "Lethal Weapon", "Batman".........all did better than Pierce Brosnan's Bond.

We now live in the 2010's....and in all honesty I do NOT see any stiff competition for James Bond in the field of non-SciFi, non-3D, real-life-action field anymore. The only franchise I can think of was the incredible success of "The Dark Knight Trilogy". But James Bond completely filled inn that 'void'.

Well Warner, if you don't decide to continue this Christopher Nolan's version of Batman in a real franchise....than MGM's/Sony's James Bond will take it :-).
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb

LTK was in top 12 world wide films of 1989 against a motherload of huge blockbusters, and it had a non-existent budget and minimal promotional campaign compared to those behemoths. 95% of movie studios in 2015 would kill to be able to make a top 15 box office hit of the year with almost 0 effort to promote it.

LTK being a flop is a myth anyway. It just happens to be the least successful of all Bond movies.

DAD wasn't widely-hated in 2002, quite the opposite.
    But 10 years after DAD has aged not very well but in another 10 years DAD might be viewed upon differently again.

With QOS it's different because it's something technical that ruins the movie and that is matter not depending of the age of the movie.

I am 99.99% sure SPECTRE will make more than Rogue Nation

Wait..really ? This is the first time I hear about this..I've never really thought much about the "older" (even tho LTK is one one of the older IMHO) movies and their marketing..
  • edited October 2015 Posts: 11,119
    Down below the upcoming art for the Best-Buy exclusive steelbook of "Mission: Impossible 5 - Rogue Nation":

P4er61g.jpg
    X2M5dQB.jpg
    m2218182_2.jpg
    mi-rnbdstlbkbeautyspread4jpg-b6a289.jpg

And down below the art for the upcoming Best-Buy exclusive XL-steelbook of all 5 "Mission: Impossible" films. Remember, this steelbook is bigger, thicker, than normal steelbooks (Like the steelbooks from every season of "Star Trek: The Next Generation"):
    m2218182.jpg
    m2218182_1.jpg
  • M_BaljeM_Balje Amsterdam, Netherlands
    Dutch page of boxoffice whas a long wait before updated and whyle we stil not get updates of those pages after the first 2 weaks the goodnews be that last weak the movie is back on the 15th place. So this made visible what movie did 4,3 after 10 weaks.Total count of Mi4 whas almoost 5 million.
    I would only buy all M:I colleciton if I am promised Cruise is done with the franchise..otherwise is useless to throw money every few years....even though this looks
    amazing!

btw am I the only one glad this movie is doing really well ? It will almost make as much as Ghost Protocol...I expected it will make less than it..

And to think they originally had this movie planned as a December release...with Star Wars the numbers for RN would have been really bad..

I am glad this franchise is really doing strong but I hope the next one will be a really good movie that will make even more money cause the way I see it these movies are running a formula that some people might get bored of and they might not make as much money with the next one....but let's see!
  • DrShatterhandDrShatterhand Garden of Death, near Belfast
    Watched this on Saturday night. Thoroughly entertained. Funny how they were so many similarities to SP, story-wise and location.

While I still prefer SP, I actually thought MI:RN did a better job of using the locations and putting the money on the screen. Some stunning set-pieces, such as the opera house, the action acenes were much better edited/shot than SP too.

Can't see any reason for Cruise to pack it in any time soon, not only is he in great nick but the IMF team dynamic give him the perfect foil to continue.

• Can't see any reason for Cruise to pack it in any time soon, not only is he in great nick but the IMF team dynamic give him the perfect foil to continue.
    Cruise is only 53 so he's still reasonably young and he keeps himself in annoyingly good shape. Also, If Liam Neeson and Pierce Brosnan can make entertaining action movies in their 60's i don't see any reason why Tom Cruise can't especially if he carries on making movies as good as the last two MI films and Jack Reacher .
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    One area that Rogue Nation excels is its use of sound. I found the sound effects palette for both Skyfall and Spectre very flat, especially during the action scenes.

Compare that to the Morocco chase scenes in MI:RN, where every vroom and roar of the engine was perfectly judged and super detailed. Genuinely had me on the edge of my seat.
    Compare that to the Morocco chase scenes in MI:RN, where every vroom and roar of the engine was perfectly judged and super detailed. Genuinely had me on the edge of my seat.
    That is so what I wanted to see in the SP chase scene. I would have preferred no score and just the roar of the engines. Newman's amped up score suggested far more tension than what was actually taking place visually.

Anyway, they obviously were going for a more 'playful' and 'retro' Bond effect with that scene and that's how it ended up.

In fact, it could have done with a more playful score in way (a'la FYEO 2CV chase) because the score was sort of mismatched to the proceedings imho.
  • bondjames wrote: »
    That is so what I wanted to see in the SP chase scene. I would have preferred no score and just the roar of the engines. Newman's amped up score suggested far more tension than what was actually taking place visually.

Anyway, they obviously were going for a more 'playful' and 'retro' Bond effect with that scene and that's how it ended up.

In fact, it could have done with a more playful score in way (a'la FYEO 2CV chase) because the score was sort of mismatched to the proceedings imho.

What do you think SP did better....way better....than RN :-)?
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    MI RN doesn't even come close in ticket sales numbers to Spectre in Europe and probably the whole world I guess.

Everything is where it belongs >:)
    edited November 2015 Posts: 23,883

What do you think SP did better....way better....than RN :-)?
    -Opening scene (pretitles). The 'coolness' factor was total Bond
    -seduction of Lucia - again 'total Bond'
    -funeral scene - same reason
    -time to slow down at L'Americain - it wasn't laid on thick, but one learnt a bit about the characters
    -Daniel Craig did a fantastic job as Bond, but so did Cruise as Hunt. About equal here. They brought new layers to their portrayals (humour/lightness with Craig and weariness/age with Cruise)
    -score was a wash. I liked Newman's work (unlike some) but also liked Kraemer
    -cinematography was excellent (but not the colour palette)

That's really about it.

MI was better in the following
    -action was just breathtaking and so inventively done
    -QoS homage was a work of art. I preferred the inventiveness of the 'rafters' fight to Hinx (which was derivative of better Bond efforts imho)
    -Ilsa Faust is my babe of the year (maybe the decade....running Vesper very close)
    -pacing was much tighter and tauter
    -subplot about spy agency was done better
    -it was just a more 'fun' night at the movies all round, like GE
    -colours were more vibrant and differentiable, even at night. Everything had a 'Bond' look in MI
  • MI RN doesn't even come close in ticket sales numbers to Spectre in Europe and probably the whole world I guess.

Everything is where it belongs >:)

No, but seriously Mr Joker :-P. I mean, it fascinates me to see that so many like RN more than SP. Because I loved RN too, but SP for me felt slightly more satisfying. It had a way more convincing villain. It had a torture sequence that easily wins from that rather lackluster Bonedoctor-henchman. Hinx was terrific.