Mission: Impossible - films and tv series

Comments

• bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    I certainly hope so @DaltonCraig007. I'm not ready to say goodbye to Cruise as Hunt just yet. He's still giving it his all and that's the key point. He's not phoning it in.

I can live with less crazy stunts in the next one. They're great and all, but not necessary for me.

More atmospheric sequences like the Opera or even the bike/car chase in MI:RN would work just fine for me. Just both of those sequences on their own were far better than anything else we saw in a spy franchise in 2015 imho.
  • RC7RC7
    RC7 wrote: »
    I think you're arguing against yourself old boy .If these
    13 years olds aren't watching Bond. Then you think
    they're they watching MI ?

They certainly do. I may not know too many 13 years old, but my neighbors son is in that age and he is very, very fond off. Also, by virtue of a very sportive girlfriend I happen to know quite a few youngsters between 16 and 25. For them bond these days isn't very exciting ( although many of them cherish very fond childhood memories from when watching them with their fathers. Memories of excitement and amazing places ) but they very much enjoy the mission impossible- and the Bourne movies as well.

Your sporty girlfriend hangs around with 16 year olds? You wanna be careful, old boy.

As for their appreciation of Bond, I’m delighted they aren’t fans. It’s not a series geared to their generation, thankfully.

Well, if the franchise wishes to survive it should bloody well gear up, because going to the movies is mostly a young man's ( and girls) game. I see this attitude of yours often on expressed on this forum and consider it complacent and simply arrogant. Just because people are young doesn't mean they have no taste or idea about what a good movie constitutes of.
    Just for example - each and everyone of you, who went out of the cinema after seeing Skyfall or SP and thought " this was a very good movie" certainly can't hold the candle to the taste of a youngster, which came out and said "this was a storyline catastrophe if there ever was one".

And by the way, the way I look it's the 16 years old, who are afraid to leave their girlfriends alone with me ( at least in my wild, wild dreams.)

I’m being facetious. There’s a strata of that generation that has no interest in Bond other than to demolish the values on display that don’t align with their own. Heaven forbid we entertain a morally dubious assassin, especially a white, male one. Obviously there are ‘kids’ that are into it (more power to them) and others that aren’t. It’s always been that way. However it’s a well known fact that Bond skews older and I’m happy for it to stay that way, despite the obvious appeal of a Yeezy wearing, Pepsi swilling, woke Bond.

Regard story - we all want and recognise a good one, young or old.
  • M_BaljeM_Balje Amsterdam, Netherlands
    edited March 2018 Posts: 4,441
    Wes Bentley (Hunger Games, American Beauty, The Four Feathers) is at to the cast
    https://m.imdb.com/name/nm0004747/filmotype/actor?ref_=m_nmfm_1
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Good catch @M_Balje, love him as an actor.
  • As an aside (and I only learned this the past few days), there was a major Mission: Impossible-Bond connection in that Allan Balter (one of the best writers on the original TV series) was married to Lana Wood.

http://bit.ly/2GkWOK8
    Never heard about this Bentley guy before. Looked a little bit Bond like in some pictures, there.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    00Agent wrote: »
    lol here's a detailed video of how he broke his ankle, it's not pretty

starts around 1:40

I was rewatching this interview earlier today, and found out that Tom Cruise is actually older than the presenter there (Graham Norton). Cruise is 55 and Norton is 54.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    Respect
    Never heard about this Bentley guy before. Looked a little bit Bond like in some pictures, there.

You’re right, there are some photos where he gives off a Bond vibe, sort of a Dalton/Cavill mashup.

talos7 wrote: »
    Respect

You’re right, there are some photos where he gives off a Bond vibe, sort of a Dalton/Cavill mashup.

That's a good way to describe it. Will be interesting to see what role he plays.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    Cruise seems to be going more "all out" than ever with this one, if MI6 ends up a action classic then the ball is in Bonds court to respond.
    Awesome!
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    So did he carry out that stunt and filming and everything officially concluded?
    So did he carry out that stunt and filming and everything officially concluded?

Yes. The splinter unit went off to shoot that bit with just Cruise and McQuarrie it seems, so filming is finally over.

Hoping we get another trailer by the end of April/early May at the latest.
    edited March 2018 Posts: 23,883
    Cruise seems to be going more "all out" than ever with this one, if MI6 ends up a action classic then the ball is in Bonds court to respond.
    They won't imho. Not with Craig in the saddle. I think they've decided to take a different approach rather than take MI on directly at its own game (similar to how they approached SF post-MI:GP). Boyle suggests this.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    edited March 2018 Posts: 8,087
    bondjames wrote: »
    They won't imho. Not with Craig in the saddle. I think they've decided to take a different approach rather than take MI on directly at its own game (similar to how they approached SF post-MI:GP). Boyle suggests this.

Good point. I think Bond 25 will be a 2 hour "ode" rather than another massive bloated action spectacular. I bit like Skyfall was, but more emboldened by that films success, I believe. I will be an interesting and different film, especially with Boyle because he is known equally his social commentary and his kinetic, sometimes bombastic presentation. It's a strange, but not entirely unsuitable match for a 007 adventure, if I do say so. Especially the Daniel Bond. Based on where my thoughts were a few months ago, I'm quite optimistic. At best we could be in for something that surpasses Skyfall for its timeliness, and at worst a fascinating mess of a film like Quantum of Solace.
    bondjames wrote: »

Good point. I think Bond 25 will be a 2 hour "ode" rather than another massive bloated action spectacular. I bit like Skyfall was, but more emboldened by that films success, I believe. I will be an interesting and different film, especially with Boyle because he is known equally his social commentary and his kinetic, sometimes bombastic presentation. It's a strange, but not entirely unsuitable match for a 007 adventure, if I do say so. Especially the Daniel Bond. Based on where my thoughts were a few months ago, I'm quite optimistic. At best we could be in for something that surpasses Skyfall for its timeliness, and at worst a fascinating mess of a film like Quantum of Solace.
    It's an interesting point you make about Boyle being suitable for a Craig Bond adventure. Being unfamiliar with his work, I asked that question a few weeks back on the production thread, but never got an answer. I'm curious as to what they have up their sleeve. I have a controversial theory that involves some major surprises, but will keep that to myself for the time being (May will either confirm or blow it out of the water).
    mission-impossible-excl.jpg
    If there is an annual award for "Best Marketing/Promotion of a Movie 2018" then the team behind Fallout deserve a nomination - stunnning image.
    Indeed, they are on point in creating awareness and anticipation.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    The first trailer for Mission Impossible: Rogue Nation was released on this day in 2015:

Seems like only yesterday.
    They are STILL shooting:

edited March 2018 Posts: 15,423
    Is it just one simple HALO jump they're going to carry out? That's the big stunt?
  • edited March 2018 Posts: 4,600
    that's a great shot :-) He literally lives life on the edge!
    patb wrote: »
    that's a great shot :-) He literally lives life on the edge!
    Agreed.

I used to work at an AF base and went up in such an aircraft to take a photo of a parachute team doing their jump and got to be tethered into the back. It's quite a sight to see live and on film. It gives me a different perspective having done that.
    I hope they going to do some bonus material re the stunts and how they were put together
    Sounds like a HALO jump they're trying to do at an exact time of day, so their options are very limited. Clicking to the full Instagram page, he notes it's two minutes of action and they have exactly three minutes of light to work with in a 24 hour period. No wonder they've been working on this stunt for weeks then.
    The level of commitment this crew has to entertaining us is something to respect. Truly impressive.
    It really makes you appreciate how many people and how much time and effort it takes to give us a minute of film, sometimes less. Sometimes it's all for one shot.

I'm reminded of the documentary called "Within a Minute" on the Revenge of the Sith DVD. Say what you will about the movie, but I've always found that documentary fascinating - they take one minute of the film and break down literally every person that worked to make it happen, from accounting staff to catering to painting, decorating, building. Even a shout-out to the custodial staff that cleans the offices at the end of the day.

Sorry...that was all a long-winded way of saying, "Wow, a lot of work is going into this scene!"