Mission: Impossible - films and tv series

Comments

I think you're arguing against yourself old boy .If these
    13 years olds aren't watching Bond. Then you think
    they're they watching MI ?

They certainly do. I may not know too many 13 years old, but my neighbors son is in that age and he is very, very fond off. Also, by virtue of a very sportive girlfriend I happen to know quite a few youngsters between 16 and 25. For them bond these days isn't very exciting ( although many of them cherish very fond childhood memories from when watching them with their fathers. Memories of excitement and amazing places ) but they very much enjoy the mission impossible- and the Bourne movies as well.
    So I must be between 16 and 25 then :-).

• ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    And yet Bond still beats them at the Box office, so it would seem
    the Bond team are giving the public what they want. ;-)

Well, Bond has the nostalgia factor. Fewer people went to see MI films growing up compared with Bond.

I watched the original tv show years before I saw any Bond film.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead

Well, Bond has the nostalgia factor. Fewer people went to see MI films growing up compared with Bond.

Then you are the exception.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns

Then you are the exception.
    He also moderates the Russian government.

Did the original tv show air on TV here?

No, but there was a rerun on Swedish tv in the 70s.

I see. Have never heard about the original show ever being aired on Norwegian TV, so I had to ask. Think the 80's show aired on TV Norge in the late 90's, but I might be mistaken. There was a lot of old shows on that channel at that time.

I see. Have never heard about the original show ever being aired on Norwegian TV, so I had to ask. Think the 80's show aired on TV Norge in the late 90's, but I might be mistaken. There was a lot of old shows on that channel at that time.

You are right about that.
  • edited March 2018 Posts: 17,302

You are right about that.

Wouldn't mind if they started doing that again - for streaming online, for example.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    It seems Tom Cruise was doing some shooting with a splinter crew for "the stunt" of the film in Abu Dhabi:

https://www.thenational.ae/arts-culture/film/confirmed-tom-cruise-is-shooting-a-film-in-abu-dhabi-most-likely-mission-impossible-1.710921
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    He’s a beast!
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    It seems Tom Cruise was doing some shooting with a splinter crew for "the stunt" of the film in Abu Dhabi:

"This suggests a stunt from the film hadn't yet been shot, the stunt in fact according to McQuarrie"

Yes. I was wondering why they kept the stunt out of the trailer. Now we know why.
    Zekidk wrote: »

"This suggests a stunt from the film hadn't yet been shot, the stunt in fact according to McQuarrie"

Yes. I was wondering why they kept the stunt out of the trailer. Now we know why.

Nice. Hope they keep it out of any previews. Then we have another thing to look forward to with this film.

I had surely thought "the stunt" was the cliff climbing scene, or something involving the helicopter. To think there's something even more wild they have planned is mind blowing.
  • RC7RC7

They certainly do. I may not know too many 13 years old, but my neighbors son is in that age and he is very, very fond off. Also, by virtue of a very sportive girlfriend I happen to know quite a few youngsters between 16 and 25. For them bond these days isn't very exciting ( although many of them cherish very fond childhood memories from when watching them with their fathers. Memories of excitement and amazing places ) but they very much enjoy the mission impossible- and the Bourne movies as well.

Your sporty girlfriend hangs around with 16 year olds? You wanna be careful, old boy.

As for their appreciation of Bond, I’m delighted they aren’t fans. It’s not a series geared to their generation, thankfully.
    DXtue9HV4AAyBD-.jpg

DXtu-wzUQAAYeI_.jpg
  • edited March 2018 Posts: 4,602
    Jesus!!!! Thats a C17
    RC7 wrote: »
    As for their appreciation of Bond, I’m delighted they aren’t fans. It’s not a series geared to their generation, thankfully.

I think we can't really generalise based off a couple of people anyway but still I think this is a weird mindset to have. Surely we want as many fans as possible? I think Bond has always done a great job of appealing to all ages (obviously I'm biased being obsessed since I was five), I think it's just sort of timeless in that way, and I wouldn't want them to pander to any demographic. But I don't think there's anything wrong with making little choices to win certain people over. Bond needs to feel fresh and stay relevant, they can't just cater to us lot.

I don't think this is an issue anyway though. I don't know many teenagers but the cinema wasn't just full of old biddies when I went to see any of the Craig movies and I doubt SF would have made a billion if younger people didn't like it.
  • edited March 2018 Posts: 3,169
    DXtu-wzUQAAYeI_.jpg
    Yes, that's a desert. This guy really like heights! He has been training a year for this stunt, which is suppose to be "the most impressive and unbelievable thing that he has done in a movie” according to Fallout producer David Ellison.

• chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    DXtu-wzUQAAYeI_.jpg
    Yes, that's a desert. This guy really like heights! He has been training a year for this stunt, which is suppose to be "the most impressive and unbelievable thing that he has done in a movie” according to Fallout producer David Ellison.

Joe my god....
    DXtu-wzUQAAYeI_.jpg
    Haha, I get it now! Fall out. You see? Tom falls out. Of a plane.

But seriously, I would have thought it impressive and unbelievable enough that Tom learned to fly a helicopter all by himself to do stunts which probably even some stunt pilots would rather skip.
    And he´s going to top that even in the same movie? It can only be that he jumps from one plane to another.

Freefall jump needing oxygen is a big enough stunt for any actor to perform IMHO.

Im looking forward to see how they cut it in the film so we are left in no doubt that it is TC
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited March 2018 Posts: 15,691
    I think the first time ''the stunt'' was mentioned was during the premiere of Jack Reacher: Never go Back, when Cruise also gave early info on The Mummy & American Made, and also hinted that Top Gun 2 was a very likely possibility (which was since confirmed for a July 2019 release). From an article posted on the 'Coming Soon' thread, it seems Cruise will be filming Top Gun 2 and Edge of Tomorrow 2 back-to-back.
  • edited March 2018 Posts: 4,602
    Yes, I heard him say that he had been practicing/rehearsing the stunt and I wondered how he could do this without media attention. This explains how!

http://www.bpa-archive.org.uk/pages/john_noakes/john_noakes.htm

This won't mean much to non UK members but back in the 70's, there was a TV presenter called John Noakes. He learned to freefall on Oxygen and produced a series of programmes showing his training. I remember it so clearly and it gives an insight to how much work and how many jumps you have to make to get up to that height, check out his log book from the link: he eventually jumped at 25,000 feet on his 26th jump. It's a very complex process. Respect to TC, big spheres!
    patb wrote: »
    Freefall jump needing oxygen is a big enough stunt for any actor to perform IMHO.

Im looking forward to see how they cut it in the film so we are left in no doubt that it is TC
    The latter is what makes me think. It might be adorable to perform such a stunt, but the HALO jump in TND is phenomenally beautiful, despite not showing the actor. I would accept that as topped if Fallout features an uncut drop scene from 25.000 feet with a stop on another plane in between :-).

• edited March 2018 Posts: 1,162
    RC7 wrote: »

Your sporty girlfriend hangs around with 16 year olds? You wanna be careful, old boy.

Well, if the franchise wishes to survive it should bloody well gear up, because going to the movies is mostly a young man's ( and girls) game. I see this attitude of yours often on expressed on this forum and consider it complacent and simply arrogant. Just because people are young doesn't mean they have no taste or idea about what a good movie constitutes of.
    Just for example - each and everyone of you, who went out of the cinema after seeing Skyfall or SP and thought " this was a very good movie" certainly can't hold the candle to the taste of a youngster, which came out and said "this was a storyline catastrophe if there ever was one".

And by the way, the way I look it's the 16 years old, who are afraid to leave their girlfriends alone with me ( at least in my wild, wild dreams.)
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    The youngsters are definitely driving the box office these days. No doubt about that. Look at Black Panther. It's a phenomenon.
    boldfinger wrote: »
    It can only be that he jumps from one plane to another.
    Or lands on top of a running camel!
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    This guy is a beast. He will be irreplaceable. I'm going to miss him when he finally hangs this gig up.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited March 2018 Posts: 15,691
    @bondjames I think a 7th one is a given at this point, if they wish to continue after Fallout and if the 6th film is a success. Cruise is now the same age Liam Neeson was in the first Taken, and Liam is still going strong 10 years on. Sure, he doesn't do those insane stunts that Cruise does, but there is room for Cruise to dial it down a notch in the 7th one (or focus on fewer, but more impressive action set pieces). I know you haven't seen the trailer yet, but the film looks very, very action packed. Dialing down the amount of action for M:I:7 would be like going from Fury Road to Bourne Supremacy - the amount is already sky high, there will still be more than enough action thrills if they reduce it by 1/3rd.