Quantum of Solace Editing / Cinematography

13»

Comments

• NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    edited November 2021 Posts: 7,518
    M16_Cart wrote: »
    Matt007 wrote: »
    Also when bond knocks the guy off the roof in a bregenz and greene’s henchman kills him, M says bond shot and killed him and then restricts his movements. Bond doesn’t even correct her.

That's like a classic romance movie trope. The thing that would resolve a story if it were explained for just a few seconds. But is left unexplained to fuel the plot.

Reminds me of the scene in CR:

"I have a lovely man from the treasury here wondering if you're ever going to deposit the money."

"Shame, I didn't think they'd miss it."

I wonder if it's a move to limit panic/kneejerk reactions from M until Bond has a chance to look into things more himself.
  • VenutiusVenutius Yorkshire
    edited November 2021 Posts: 2,898
    Yes, exactly. Better to let M go on thinking that he's not yet deposited the money - that way, he gives himself a chance to resolve it. Whereas if M thinks he's been outmanoeuvred and it's all gone wrong...
    I will say this about QOS, it’s the only film of the Craig era which shows his Bond in his prime without retiring or giving up.

edited November 2021 Posts: 2,898
    Such a shame that the legal wrangling meant that there wasn't a follow-up in 2010, before the soft reboot of SF knocked CraigBond off course. Maybe they should hire Hiddleston, bulk him up to the max and ask us to squint hard enough to pretend it's CraigBond firing on all cylinders in his prime and have him do at least two films set in the gap between QOS and SF. Could double-down on the conceit and call them Ellipsis and Lacuna. ;)
    AstonLotus wrote: »
    I will say this about QOS, it’s the only film of the Craig era which shows his Bond in his prime without retiring or giving up.

True. Firing on all cylinders in a LTK kind of way. It even has it's "Farewell to Arms" moment.
    He does get "retired" in the middle section and goes rogue though!
    Stamper wrote: »
    He does get "retired" in the middle section and goes rogue though!

Well even if he didn’t make his escape there,I doubt that Q was going to keep him off the field permanently.They just wanted him to come in for questioning.

• Junglist_1985Junglist_1985 Los Angeles
    edited November 2021 Posts: 1,006
    I’ve long advocated that the next Bond could pick up immediately after QOS. There’s a lot of years and missions between that and Skyfall. No need for continuity. They don’t need to bring up Vesper or even Quantum… at most, just that he was betrayed and is hot on the trail of a shadowy organization.
    I’ve long advocated that the next Bond could pick up immediately after QOS. There’s a lot of years and missions between that and Skyfall. No need for continuity. They don’t need to bring up Vesper or even Quantum… at most, just that he was betrayed and is hot on the trail of a shadowy organization.

Never going to happen.

No. Doesn't mean it shouldn't, though.
  • I’ve long advocated that the next Bond could pick up immediately after QOS. There’s a lot of years and missions between that and Skyfall. No need for continuity. They don’t need to bring up Vesper or even Quantum… at most, just that he was betrayed and is hot on the trail of a shadowy organization.
    Never thought of that. While I would have nothing against such road, apart from the fact that it would make Moneypenny and Q absent from the series again, it seems highly unlikely since it would require to Judi Dench to come back. At 86, I doubt she would agree to return. Nevertheless, it could be an interesting option to develop in a comic books for exemple.
    Hmm I think some peeps are making excuses for narrative dead ends and poor execution. We all know they were making it up as they went along. The fog of war is more likely Craig was writing the script with Forster day to day. Imo of course
    Hmm I think some peeps are making excuses for narrative dead ends and poor execution. We all know they were making it up as they went along. The fog of war is more likely Craig was writing the script with Forster day to day. Imo of course

I believe Craig has already gone on record as saying that’s pretty much what happened.

• DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator

I believe Craig has already gone on record as saying that’s pretty much what happened.

Part of why I respect QOS is that they managed to get a decent film made with so very little material to start with.
  • slide_99slide_99 USA
    edited November 2021 Posts: 649

Considering the way the following movies were written, maybe that's a good thing, since a fully-written QOS probably would've had Mr. White being Bond's uncle who's getting revenge for Bond hitting his car window with a baseball when he was 10.
    Let it go, Commander!
  • M16_CartM16_Cart Craig fanboy?
    Craig manages to be a better writer than the actual professional writers of Spectre.
  • Junglist_1985Junglist_1985 Los Angeles
    edited November 2021 Posts: 1,006
    Craig manages to be a better writer than the actual professional writers of Spectre.

Exactly my thoughts 🤣
    Don’t forget FRWL was also a messy production yet turned out to be top notch.
    Honestly, I like QOS more than FRWL! Er, I'll see myself out...

PW-featured-image-thumbnail.jpg
    QOS has some brilliant dialogue. Genuinely great stuff. I'd put five whole pence on Haggis having written those lines, though. Ok, maybe four...
  • QOS is underrated but it's editing and camera work are abysmal at times.
  • SeanCraigSeanCraig Germany
    Right - but it has some very beautiful (and beautifully photographed) locations and all that. We just don't see enough of it
    The first time the bad editing of QoS entered my consciousness was coming onto this forum and reading people's complaints about it. I don't think it's ever once actually bothered me while watching the film. The car chase in the beginning is frenetic, but it always seemed like that was the point. The rest of the film is extremely easy to follow along with, IMO.
    edited November 2021 Posts: 7,518
    Craig and Forster predict the return of Blofield (lol) and his cat:

• MinionMinion Don't Hassle the Bond
    slide_99 wrote: »

Considering the way the following movies were written, maybe that's a good thing, since a fully-written QOS probably would've had Mr. White being Bond's uncle who's getting revenge for Bond hitting his car window with a baseball when he was 10.

@slide_99, have you seen QoS or are you going off of a Wikipedia summary on that too?