NO TIME TO DIE - Questions Thread

Comments

• NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    Feyador wrote: »
    I might've just been wrapped up in the intensity and the emotion and missed this, of course, and the sound in my theater was off at times, so there's a nice chunk of dialogue I missed out on.
    Yeah, I missed a lot of the dialogue, too - but not just in the ending, but throughout the movie- even after a second viewing. I'm going to need the Bluray to figure it all out ... but going back tonight for another shot.

Same here. There was a lot during the SPECTRE party sequence that I simply couldn't make out or hear, whether it was due to the music or effects or what have you. I'm eager to hear it all in full.

I feel I caught most of the dialogue on my second viewing in IMAX. Also, I didn't notice a real material difference in my IMAX viewing versus my regular theatrical viewing (AVX). But I don't think my IMAX theatre was a ""true"" IMAX presentation (whatever that means).

I also got the sense that Grace Jones was meant to cameo in the Spectre meeting scene as MayDay, but was only going to be in one shot which is why she didn't do it (apparently she was unhappy with the amount of screen time she was going to get for her cameo so she backed out).
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Feyador wrote: »
    I might've just been wrapped up in the intensity and the emotion and missed this, of course, and the sound in my theater was off at times, so there's a nice chunk of dialogue I missed out on.
    Yeah, I missed a lot of the dialogue, too - but not just in the ending, but throughout the movie- even after a second viewing. I'm going to need the Bluray to figure it all out ... but going back tonight for another shot.

Same here. There was a lot during the SPECTRE party sequence that I simply couldn't make out or hear, whether it was due to the music or effects or what have you. I'm eager to hear it all in full.

I feel I caught most of the dialogue on my second viewing in IMAX. Also, I didn't notice a real material difference in my IMAX viewing versus my regular theatrical viewing (AVX). But I don't think my IMAX theatre was a ""true"" IMAX presentation (whatever that means).

I also got the sense that Grace Jones was meant to cameo in the Spectre meeting scene as MayDay, but was only going to be in one shot which is why she didn't do it (apparently she was unhappy with the amount of screen time she was going to get for her cameo so she backed out).

The only film I've seen in IMAX, Blade Runner 2049, also, to me, didn't feel like it was presented in true IMAX. It was super loud but that was about it.
  • AntiLocqueBrakesAntiLocqueBrakes The edge
    edited October 2021 Posts: 538
    Anyone buy into Safin having a true ideology other than just revenge? He preaches something about people seeking “oblivion” to Bond in their face-to-face late in the movie.

Odd because up until then he’d just been about vengeance. They tried to make him into something more.
    Anyone buy into Safin having a truly ideology other than just revenge? He preaches something about people seeking “oblivion” to Bond in their face-to-face late in the movie.

Odd because up until then he’d just been about vengeance. They tried to make him into something more.

Agreed. His motivation was quite ambiguous at best.

Unlike other Bond films which feature the villain front and centre and the driver of the plot, Safin and his plot felt a little secondary to the story they were trying to tell.
    Anyone buy into Safin having a truly ideology other than just revenge? He preaches something about people seeking “oblivion” to Bond in their face-to-face late in the movie.

And what were his skills living forever whereas Bond's skills died with his body? I didn't really get that. I was waiting to see a bunch of Safin clones or his genes passing on to other, stronger clones or something to that effect. What would he be passing down if all he's doing is killing SPECTRE and selling nanobot weaponry?

And what were his skills living forever whereas Bond's skills died with his body? I didn't really get that. I was waiting to see a bunch of Safin clones or his genes passing on to other, stronger clones or something to that effect. What would he be passing down if all he's doing is killing SPECTRE and selling nanobot weaponry?

I think he meant that Safin would be "tidying the world" long after he was dead with the virus, but once Bond died, he would no long be able to do the same.

I think he meant that Safin would be "tidying the world" long after he was dead with the virus, but once Bond died, he would no long be able to do the same.

That makes more sense. I kept waiting for a bigger reveal I hadn't heard about previously but that's understandable too.
  • Marc_Ange_Drac0Marc_Ange_Drac0 Sao Paulo

Agreed. His motivation was quite ambiguous at best.

Unlike other Bond films which feature the villain front and centre and the driver of the plot, Safin and his plot felt a little secondary to the story they were trying to tell.

Felt that too! And more: Bond only met his rival at the end, which is kinda non sense for me. I missed that eye contact, the rivalry, things like this. Bond was always a step behind.
    Mallory wrote: »
    @Creasy47 My personal theory is that in the original P&W draft, it was a straight up virus, in a liquified form. That would explain the poison garden plants being mixed up in a bath (in the larger area being worked in underneath the garden by the technicians) before it is laced with the dna target before being used.

The whole nanobot thing was added in later on and never truly reconciled.

That’s my impression. Originally, I suppose, it was a straight-up garden of death, and the plants were the source of a poison or virus, like MR.

Then COVID-19 happened. Across the whole world many families have lost loved ones to a real, actual virus, and so they needed a rewrite.

So they turned the virus into nanobots and re-recorded some of the dialogue and added a bit of animation of nanobots doing nanobot things on a computer screen.

• matt_umatt_u better known as Mr. Roark
    I felt Safin was slightly underdeveloped but still an amazing character.
    He’s a man suffering from a God complex and the cause was his encounter with Madeleine. That day he both killed and gave life.
    He genuinely thinks he’s a good guy and like an invisible God from his base he puts the basis for a new, far less populated, world. He doesn’t even know who’s gonna be killed. He doesn’t care. That’s up to the buyers. Like a God gives life but then it’s up to the single being to decide what to do with this gift, he distribute death and then it’s up to other people to decide who’s gonna survive. Entire races, who knows.
    I also find it cool that he wanted to make Swann blind with the tea, since he wanted to keep her forever with him in his family island…
  • VenutiusVenutius Yorkshire
    Mallory wrote: »
    @Creasy47 My personal theory is that in the original P&W draft, it was a straight up virus, in a liquified form. That would explain the poison garden plants being mixed up in a bath (in the larger area being worked in underneath the garden by the technicians) before it is laced with the dna target before being used.

The whole nanobot thing was added in later on and never truly reconciled.

That’s my impression. Originally, I suppose, it was a straight-up garden of death, and the plants were the source of a poison or virus, like MR.

Then COVID-19 happened. Across the whole world many families have lost loved ones to a real, actual virus, and so they needed a rewrite.

So they turned the virus into nanobots and re-recorded some of the dialogue and added a bit of animation of nanobots doing nanobot things on a computer screen.

Yes, that makes the most sense to me.
    I’m pretty sure that’s not the case.
  • MinionMinion Don't Hassle the Bond
    The one reason I don't buy that is I don't see a convincing explanation for an organic plant-based virus being programmed to target specific individuals. That's too ingrained in the plot to be something revised in post.
    Exactly. Plus, except for the fact that this notion doesn’t seem realistic since it’s fairly obvious that nanobots have always been the treat of this film, the news would’ve already come out.
  • About 4 - the painting

Well it is made to think about Monet for sure, for what is shown as well as the gigantic size

post-423.jpg

and well Monet nympheas are under Japanese influence. Like the japanese garden, the kimono, the mask of Noh, hm, Dr No ? :)

Safin has lots of common with Dr No IMO, from the "God" lines to the base (I think we see the same hole on the ceiling at one moment than in the Dr No's room with the spider), and even from a meta point of view : If I'm right Safin and Dr No are the only vilains Bond has only two scenes with,, at the end of a movie, aren't they ?
  • HildebrandRarityHildebrandRarity Centre international d'assistance aux personnes déplacées, Paris, France
    Call him Dr Rosacea, and I'll agree.
  • Anyone else notice that it looks like they actually put in the tampon thing in the restroom thing, albeit very subtly? We see Nomi throw something away after exiting the stall... Found that interesting.
  • 00Heaven00Heaven Home
    I don't think so or at least if she did I find that a bit strange. It may be TMI if you're a bloke but we have bins inside the cubicle where we throw our sanitary waste into. I actually thought she grabbed a paper towel after washing her hands and that's what she threw away but I could be wrong?
  • 00Heaven wrote: »
    I don't think so or at least if she did I find that a bit strange. It may be TMI if you're a bloke but we have bins inside the cubicle where we throw our sanitary waste into. I actually thought she grabbed a paper towel after washing her hands and that's what she threw away but I could be wrong?

That could be it, but I recall specifically noticing that she throws something out before washing her hands. I found it kinda weird that there wouldn't be a place to dispose of it in the stall, but it definitely reminded me of that interview.
  • JWPepperJWPepper You sit on it, but you can't take it with you.
    Did i see Michael G. Wilson twice in the movie? Once as a member of spectre at the Spectre Cuba meeting and then later crossing the street with Madeleine in London (with the National/Royal Guard) or am I wrong?
  • ImpertinentGoonImpertinentGoon Everybody needs a hobby.
    Bit late to it, but Satin picks up a hair of Madeleine's at the beginning of their scene in his office. That is what he uses to programme the virus and as was already said, her DNA makes it the also deadly for M2, but not for Bond.
    I also thought the tea she is given is the plant they talked about in her office. However, I didn't understand why he would kill her. But I didn't fully understand their relationship anyway.
    And a third thought, maybe more for the Easter egg thread, but I'll put it here, because I am unsure: I re-read the last few chapters of YOLT to look for comparisons and there Blofeld defends his poison garden as being a tidier way for people to commit suicide than f.e. jumping in front of a train. It's a bit of a stretch, but did P&W want to incorporate that idea but didn't quite get there with Safin's speech?
  • Another question I had, more of just nitpicking for fun though:

We saw the ice crack under the weight of little Madeleine running across, but then how does it not break when Safin follows her?
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    TheBondFan wrote: »
    Another question I had, more of just nitpicking for fun though:

We saw the ice crack under the weight of little Madeleine running across, but then how does it not break when Safin follows her?

Maybe because she was running and he was walking slowly?
  • TheBondFan wrote: »
    Another question I had, more of just nitpicking for fun though:

Maybe because she was running and he was walking slowly?

Yes, but it's already cracked, and he's significantly heavier to boot.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Perhaps it was written that way in the manuscript?
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    Madeleine walked further to the center of the ice where it was thinner, weaker, and broke through.

Under the ice it's shown the current carries her a distance, to the thicker ice that Safin fires bullets through to retrieve her.

• RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    I can't recall exactly: from the French subtitles, what is the name of the child's doll?

• HildebrandRarityHildebrandRarity Centre international d'assistance aux personnes déplacées, Paris, France
    It has no specific name, it's just a "doudou", the generic term for a comforter.
  • ImpertinentGoonImpertinentGoon Everybody needs a hobby.
    edited October 2021 Posts: 1,351
    So, why did Nomi shadow Bond?
    Her mission is to secure Obruchev, who apparently was spotted by some kind of intel source in Cuba. M later says they thought Bond was dead. So what's she doing in Jamaica? How does she know he is there and what does he, at that point have to do with the whole thing anyway? He basically only takes up Felix's request because she annoyed him (or didn't ask the right questions).
    Maybe she is following Leiter and Ash and finds Bond through them, but the first time we see her is on the side of the road right outside Bond's driveway even before Leiter and Ash start shadowing him, so that doesn't really work

Edit: And while we are at it: How and why is Primo there as well?
    Birdleson wrote: »
    The reasoning itself is the answer. She’s young, she has her whole life ahead of her, Bond is old, he’s had a good run. And he’s Bond, he wouldn’t abide. I’m not a fan of killing off Bond, but there’s no way the character would allow that to happen or I would except that. That would actually be worse than the death.

This. I'm not happy he died (or did he?), but there was no way they could get him out of there. That was just not him.